Is the cache nearest you one you placed?

MartyFouts

One of the reasons I got hooked on geocaching was discovering upon my first visit to the website that there was a cache hidden at the nature center across the street. When our GPS arrived the distance was 0.2 miles from the driveway.

A GREAT hiding team in Pittsburgh had already "taken" most all of the parks near my house. Our first hide was in one of the few parks they skipped. I've since obtained that team's blessing to hide a second cache in a large park a couple of miles from our house. Just got back from the scouting trip.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

Since you're not letting us non-placers in the poll, I won't vote, but I will reply. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm taking my time working on my first hide, in the meantime someone has placed one where I was going to hide mine, (a location I visit 2-3 times a week) less than a mile away.

I'm just as glad now anyway, I have another location ready that's close but more remote and harder to get to, many people don't know how to get to the new location. Should be a more challenging experience.

Warning: Objects in GPS may be closer than they appear!

Since you're not letting us non-placers in the poll, I won't vote, but I will reply. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm taking my time working on my first hide, in the meantime someone has placed one where I was going to hide mine, (a location I visit 2-3 times a week) less than a mile away.

I'm just as glad now anyway, I have another location ready that's close but more remote and harder to get to, many people don't know how to get to the new location. Should be a more challenging experience.

Warning: Objects in GPS may be closer than they appear!

I hide the first stage of a multi in my front yard, Been a great way to meet some of the caching teams in the area. The second stage is about 3miles away. I also used my front yard for a cache i did for the first geoquilt since it had a limited number of cacher I needed to keep a close eye on it... of course with all the rocks and skulls out there it pretty easy to hide one.

We will be known by the tracks we leave behind

Was hidden almost a hundred miles away from my home, but only a mile or so from the family beach house. All my other caches are placed at least 10 miles away. I tend to place caches in areas I have really enjoyed, and find myself going back to on a regular bases.

The closest cache to my front door is about 2 miles away. Though again, it's been sitting there for some time. During the summer I try to hit caches that are out a ways, and that usually involve a hike. During the winter, when I'm getting cabin fever I gobble up all the close ones.

The 3 closest caches to me are mine, all mine. icon_smile.gif

I seem to remember a thread some time ago about being able to track down a cacher by mapping the finds/hides. I think weight was added to early finds and hides, since those were most likely to be closest to home.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

The 3 closest caches to me are mine, all mine. icon_smile.gif

I seem to remember a thread some time ago about being able to track down a cacher by mapping the finds/hides. I think weight was added to early finds and hides, since those were most likely to be closest to home.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

The two closest are mine as are 5 of the closest 8. I tend to place my caches near my home, or near where I work. Makes it easier for maintenance purposes. The rest generally go where I like to hike. It's probably easy to find out where I live, work and like to hike, just by looking at my caches.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:
Originally posted by Marty Fouts:

If you've never hidden a cache, this poll's not for you, but if you have, is the cache nearest you one you placed yourself?

Yes. There's a large park even closer to me than my cache, but no one's put anything there yet. I'm tired of waiting, so I'm calling the parks office this week.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Closest is .5 miles as the crow flies... Now where do I find one of these highly trained crows? icon_biggrin.gif

About .8 taking a short-cut through the woods on a bike though. My 3 are the closest to me, all a bit off the beaten path for 'visitors' ( aka tourists). I've had some wonderfull comments from people that had visited these places for the first time after vacationing here for years. That was the reason I placed some relatively easy caches.

CCC

Closest is .5 miles as the crow flies... Now where do I find one of these highly trained crows? icon_biggrin.gif

About .8 taking a short-cut through the woods on a bike though. My 3 are the closest to me, all a bit off the beaten path for 'visitors' ( aka tourists). I've had some wonderfull comments from people that had visited these places for the first time after vacationing here for years. That was the reason I placed some relatively easy caches.

CCC

When I first started caching, I couldn't believe there wasn't a cache in my favorite local park. I hid one just as soon as I felt comfortable and plan to hide a holiday themed cache in the same park in the late November.

Where in the nursery rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg?