Suggestions for newbies, experts please read and post.....

Thoguht it would be a good idea to have a topic for newbies (like me) to read and for novices-experts to post.

basically what I am asking for is advice for those of us that are new to the hobby, what I would like is a "do" and a "don't".

Please keep it short, like one sentance a piece, I think it would be a great way for those just getting started to have good advice before ever going out on a hunt...example:

1)DO:

Write clearly in the logbook at the cache

2)DON'T:

Run through the woods, drunk firing a shotgun.

You get the idea icon_biggrin.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

1. Read the cache description and pay attention to the terrain and difficulty rating. Don't take on a challenge you aren't prepared for or exceeds your present capability, or conversely, don't complain that a 1/1 cache was too easy.

2. Take care when rehiding a cache to make it match its rated difficulty.

3. Have fun, and tell your family, friends, colleagues, acquaintances and total strangers how much fun you had.

#1. when placing a cache do all you can to avoid accidental finds. (learned from experience)

#2. Always log, found or not, on the cache page. (why else would I put them out there)

#3. You are respondsible for yourself. If it looks dangerous/stupid, don't do it. Use common sense.

#4. Be positive. Don't whine. Have a good attitude when posting a comment.

2573_200.jpg

Originally posted by The KGB:

Thought it would be a good idea to have a topic for newbies (like me) to read and for novices-experts to post.

Do:Bring a compass,just in case,and take a reading back to vehicle.

Don't:forget to read up on the cache to have all possible info to a pleasent experience !!

Have fun & be careful out there.

Do:

Read the cache page carefully, see if there are special instructions and/or places to park. Both are usually on a cache page for good reason.

Don't:

Wander off the path because the GPS says it's over there 0.15 miles. Chance are your path will wind you closer to the cache. Only leave the path when it's obvious that you can't get there any other way.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

Batteries (duh)

Lighter

Waterproof Matches

Flashlight

Compass

Pens

Knife or Multi-Tool

Water

Snack

Snake Bite Kit

And last but not least...Toilet Paper!!

This may sound a little extreme for a 1/2 mile hike but hey, you never know. icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Don't Leave anyting that you can eat, or explodes.

Do use your brain. Don't worry about being 'fair and unreasoanble' It consitpates the creative process.

Anyting What consitpates am bad.

Doobee Doobee Doo be a good eg.

1. Bring along a hiking pole/walking stick to use not only for taking some load off your knees on steep inclines and keeping your balance when crossing streams but also for poking under bushes, reaching hard-to-reach spots, fighting off bears, mountain lions, coyotes, wolves...use also as a self-arrest on snow, a monopod for your camera.

2. Take nothing but cachestashes, leave nothing but geoswags, kill nothing but batteries.

Have GPS, Will Travel.

Quote:

Batteries (duh)

Lighter

Waterproof Matches

Flashlight

Compass

Pens

Knife or Multi-Tool

Water

Snack

Snake Bite Kit

And if you take toilet paper, take a trenching tool / shovel.

Radio / cell phone.

Leave a Hiking plan with someone you trust to call for help after a predetermined time.

Have fun!

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

DON'T: Post critical logs.

DO: privately E-mail the cache owner with any concerns you have regarding the cache - using tact and diplomacy --- remember it is very easy to inadvertantly offend when communicating online.

Do: Post important safety warnings such as "Watch out for the used Needles" in your log

Don't: Whine if someone doesn't like your cache or has a problem with it.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ken & Robin:

Don't leave water or any other type of liquid in a cache unless you live in an area where it never freezes. Containers with liquids (soda, water, juice, bubble soap) can explode when they freeze, making a mess out of everything inside the cache.

They can also explode when they get too hot! icon_rolleyes.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by Czar of Ridgeland:

When looking for caches around water, spend a little time with a map so you don't find yourself on the wrong side of a river.

We have a couple of cache placers here in Jersey who have a GENIUS for intentionally selecting cache locations so that they show up on mapping software as being in the middle of the water. Very clever!

1. Trust your GPS (but not entirely).

2. Don't search based on assumptions (this is where I'd hide if I were a tupperware container).

3. NEVER hide a buoyant cache (rubbermaid container) in the sawgrass of a floodzone in Maui.

4. If the online log recommends bugspray, trust your fellow cachers.

5. Use a permanent / semi-permanent landmark as a reference in your encrypted cheats, & provide a line-of-bearing and distance, if appropriate.

6. Don't use your uploaded digital pictures as a reference point in the encrypted cheat (some of us don't view the photos for fear of uncovering spoilers).

7. Enjoy the great outdoors...and LNT (leave no trace).

8. Do a thorough map reconnaissance prior to departing.

9. Carry a "possibles bag" just like the ol' mountain men, containing a variety of possible goodies to leave (our bag currently has approximately 50 trinkets, from Italian lira and military pins to Maui stickers and trader dollars - for placement in caches during our cross country trip from LA to DC in June). This is separate from our personal booty bags (all the stuff we've collected at caches).

10. Plan what you will leave, and be creative (in my humble opinion, leaving pocket change sucks). If it's a themed site, try to stay within the theme as much as possible.

11. Let the kids navigate (we've seen some pretty interesting sites this way).

12. Keep your own personal cachequest journal, recording date, time, conditions, etc. (it's sometimes difficult to log-on, and I tend to forget what I left where).

13. Enjoy the great outdoors...and LNT (leave no trace). Ooops, did I already mention that?

I had almost given up on reading the forums. Too much B.S. But this thread is great! Nice job, gang. Here's one more:

DO: READ more forums than you WRITE.

DON'T: Post rude, thoughtless, or inane comments.

DO: Start good threads in the forums.

DON'T: Start a forum thread just because you can.

Many excellent points have been provided so far. Here are a few of my own to add:

1. When planning a geocaching trip to someplace you've never been before, or that you aren't completely familiar with, check map sources (real topographical maps, Topo software, local area maps) for exact locations, or plotting what streets to turn on, etc. Do the research. Nothing sucks worse than getting lost to or from a cache. Same goes for PLACING caches.

2. Before you head out on the forest service road into the unknown, make sure you have plenty of gas/diesel/petrol in your vehicle. Being out in the middle of nowhere on an empty tank is even worse than being lost.

3. If you are taking children, keep their limitations in mind, always first and foremost. It is more important to bring them back hale and whole than any cache trinket. Also, realize that they tire more easily and may not share your fanaticism after caching non-stop for four, five or six (or more!) hours. Keep snacks and plenty to drink on hand for them as well.

4. Plan for any contingency. The weather may be spiffy when you leave the house, but weather can change quickly. Take a jacket, keep tire chains in the vehicle, etc. Live by the Boy Scout motto.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

geobutton1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner4:

1. Trust your GPS (but not entirely).

2. Don't search based on assumptions (this is where I'd hide if I were a tupperware container).

My problem is that I still haven't learned these two lessons yet. For some reason, I think I'm smarter than my trusty Garmin GPS 12. Invariably, I end up stopping 1/10 of a mile short of the cache/trailhead because, "this looks like a likely spot." This is usually based on the beauty/uniqueness of the surrounding terrain. I'm slowly realizing that all you cache placers usually offset the cache. That's very clever...(I haven't placed any caches yet...we're moving from Hawaii to DC in two months, so it would be hard to maintain one here. I look forward to placing some in Ol' Virginny though). If I stick with this (and I will...my kids won't let me stop now), hopefully I'll eventually learn these lessons.

quote:
1. When planning a geocaching trip to someplace you've never been before, or that you aren't completely familiar with, check map sources (real topographical maps, Topo software, local area maps) for exact locations, or plotting what streets to turn on, etc. Do the research. Nothing sucks worse than getting lost to or from a cache. Same goes for PLACING caches.

What stinks even worse is lying there with two broken legs and a cell phone but not being able to give good directions to the rescue team.

Another handy thing to carry is toilet tissue. (But not for the obvious reason!) If you need to leave a marker flag when bushwacking it is easy to spot and if you can't find it to pick it back up on the way out it is biodegradable where flagging tape is not.

tiny.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Team Rex:

Another handy thing to carry is toilet tissue. (But not for the obvious reason!) If you need to leave a marker flag when bushwacking it is easy to spot and if you can't find it to pick it back up on the way out it is biodegradable where flagging tape is not.

http://members.telocity.com/~wzuidema/tiny.jpg

Hey...that's a great idea. After 15+ years in the Army, I thought I'd heard of all possible uses for TP. I've seen too many routes blazed with orange/red/yellow flagging tape that was never recovered.

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

Many excellent points have been provided so far. Here are a few of my own to add:

----------

Lori aka: _RedwoodRed_

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

What fun is that? icon_cool.gif So far, when I go caching I rely strictly on my GPS. This takes a little longer BUT, it certainly has taken me to some interesting places! icon_wink.gif

inceptor

A lot of good hints here. I think nearly everything is covered. I'd like to add, make sure you repack the cache the way you found it. Put items back in the ziploc if there is one provided, seal it and rehide the cache the way you found it. Never move a cache without the permission of the cache owner.

Also, when placing a cache try to put a little thought into the items you select for it. I know the fun is in the hunt, but after you spend an hour or two hunting for the cache, it's very disappoing to find nothing but broken McDonalds toys and used plastic toy soldiers. Also stay away from the flimsy gladware containers if you expect the cache to last for a while. They don't seal particularly well and quickly develop

holes and cracks.

quote:
Guide to Finding a Cache

Step 1 – Researching the Cache

Keep in mind that distances can be deceiving. When you’re using your GPS unit to find a cache, the unit only knows how close the site is as the crow flies (a direct line). You may be a mile from the cache, but there may be a river in the way, or a near-vertical climb involving 3 miles of switchbacks, or a mountain – you get the picture.

1. Buy a map of the area from your local camping store for those caches that are off a trail or too remote to drive close to. Topographical maps (which show features of the land like hills) are best, so you can get a good idea of the terrain you’ll be crossing. You’ll also know whether to bring your Honda Civic or rent a Land Rover.

2. For car geocaches (ones you can drive to and walk a short distance), use MapBlast. Geocaching.com provides you with a link to MapBlast so you can get directions to that location. Make sure to zoom in on the location to make sure it’s near a road. MapBlast can only get you so far!

3. If you have a good idea of the area, you can navigate via the GPS unit. This is best when the park is small. This is also the most challenging, and is not recommended for your first hunt.

You’ll most likely need to do all three things to prepare and reach the geocache, though our experience has shown different combinations for each cache. I’d always start with one of the online map sites first to get an idea of the area, then decide on whether you need to buy a map or use what you have.

Since this is your first time, it’s also ok to read the stash notes, look at a picture of the cache, or read other people’s experiences finding the cache. Some may be visible from 20 feet away, while others in more trafficked areas may be buried under some rocks (or in one case, in a World War II bunker!). Getting within a mile or two of the site isn’t usually too difficult – it’s the last mile that’ll get you every time.

Step 2 – Preparation

Preparation is key in any kind of outdoor activity, but you can never stress enough the importance of preparation and safety. Keep these tips in mind when searching for a cache:

1. Have a buddy with you! Never go off into the woods or remote locations without a partner, especially when Geocaching. We don’t want you focusing on your GPS unit and walking off a cliff. It’s great fun, so think about planning a camping trip around the stash hunt with your family or friends.

2. Many of the caches are off-trail, so make sure to be aware of your surroundings. If you’re concentrating on your GPS unit, look around you occasionally for holes, bears, etc.

3. Bring and drink plenty of water, and don’t drink directly from a stream! For some of the more difficult trips, bring a water filtration system. You can get them at most camping stores.

4. Let someone know where you’re going and when you’re coming back.

Step 3 – The Hunt

Now you’re ready for the hunt.

1. It should be pretty straightforward to get within a mile or so from the cache (unless it’s deep off-trail). If you’ve done your research, follow the map more than the GPS unit (although we keep ours on the whole time). It’s inevitable that you’ll lose signal from overhanging trees, mountains, etc.

2. If you’re using USFS roads (US Forestry service), the signs for each road can be pretty small in size. Instead of street signs, they’re brown signs that have white writing running vertically. Usually they’re close to the ground. Sometimes you may have to backtrack on the road to locate them.

3. It’s always good to have a compass on hand if your GPS unit doesn’t have one.

4. When you leave your car, mark its location as a waypoint! Sounds silly, but once you get deep into the cache hunt, it’s easy to get disoriented. We’ve learned this from experience!

5. When you get close to the Geocache (within 300 feet, which is the length of a football field), make sure to check your GPS unit signal. Sometimes the signal will have an error between 25-200 feet. Don’t concentrate as much on the arrow as the distance decreasing, as you get closer to the site.

6. For the last 30 feet, use a compass or direct your buddy in the direction of the cache. In some cases we’ve had good luck circling the site with the GPS unit to get a good area to search.

7. The final 30-100 feet is the hardest. It helps to think like the person who hid the cache. If there are stumps around, investigate around the base. Check for a pile of rocks. Some stashes, especially in people-trafficked areas, are pretty ingeniously hidden, so it helps to know the container they used.

Step 4 – The Find

Huzzah! You found the cache! Congratulations! Now what?

1. Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book. It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache.

2. Make sure to seal the cache and place it back where you found it. If it had some rocks covering it, please replace them. It’s pretty straightforward.

3. Remember that waypoint we suggested you create where your car/trail was located? Use that now to get back! You’ll be glad you had it.

4. When you get home, email the person who hid the cache and let them know you found it! They’re always happy to know the condition of their cache and it’s nice to know that people are looking for them.

Great work! After several trips to geocaches in your area, you’ll be ready to place your own. Welcome to the exciting world of Geocaching!

I think this is a good coverall blurb

Now where did I set my GPS???

quote:
When you get home, email the person who hid the cache and let them know you found it! They’re always happy to know the condition of their cache and it’s nice to know that people are looking for them.

E-mail? Really? I think this is a throw back to the days before logs and e-mail notifications. It's always bothered me that this was still the wording on this portion of the FAQ for finding.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

I think that on the inside of the Cache box you should write a 4 digit number. The person who finds that cache must write that number down and enter it into the found log as a way of verifying the find.

This would be a fairly simple thing to set up. A 4 digit field is entered when the cache is first hidden, that same 4 digit field is used to verify a find, and only these can be use to accumultate a total so that you can get a pin or something by your name later on.

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ltljon:

Batteries (duh)

Lighter

Waterproof Matches

Flashlight

Compass

Pens

Knife or Multi-Tool

Water

Snack

Snake Bite Kit

This may sound a little extreme for a 1/2 mile hike but hey, you never know. icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rybren:

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Do not :

Load a bunch of caches into your GPSR and then not check the cache page before hunting them 3 months later.

Been there. Done that. Got the "Couldn't find it" to prove it!

Me too. Went back to find a cache with my 7 year old daughter only to find later that the cache had been archived.

Don't: create a new cache when you've only found a couple caches. It really helps to have the experience of seeing other caches before you make your own. Almost all the dead caches I've seen (that remain unarchived) have been placed by someone with under 5 finds.

Do: remove (archive) your cache from the web site if you physically removed it, or have no plans to replace a stolen one.

quote:
Quote:

Batteries (duh)

Lighter

Waterproof Matches

Flashlight

Compass

Pens

Knife or Multi-Tool

Water

Snack

Snake Bite Kit

And if you take toilet paper, take a trenching tool / shovel.

Radio / cell phone.

Leave a Hiking plan with someone you trust to call for help after a predetermined time.

More on the Trench Shovel. Locate catholes at least 200 feet(about 70 adult steps) from water or trails. With a small shovel or garden trowel dig a hole 6-8" deep and 4-6" in diameter. After use, cover the cathole with soil and disguise it with natural materials. If you are camping in an area for more than one night, widely disperse cathole sites. Though, it is far better in some environments to not leave the TP there, but to haul in out with you. So:

DO:

Take plastic bags

Pick up trash (including your own)

Don't leave anything but footprints.

quote:
Originally posted by Bear & Ting:

Don't leave anything but footprints.

Some people even erase THOSE - especially when your footprints (in snow, especially) give away the cache location.

Some people just make other tracks in the snow or ground, leading to so many places within the main area so that it's not a plain beeline for the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

Some people just make other tracks in the snow or ground, leading to so many places within the main area so that it's not a plain beeline for the cache.

Yeah, that's why thy do it. (nudge-nudge-wink-wink!) Nothing to do with the drunken Bee mating dance around a cachee site, huh? icon_biggrin.gif

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

quote:
Originally posted by magellart:

When "cache seeking",

DO: Expect to get your clothes dirty.

DON'T: Expect your "cache seeking" to last under a half hour. Some could take about an hour to...?

icon_biggrin.gif YUP! Went out Wednesday morning. It's been raining for weeks here (at least it feels like it). I had planned to do about 10 caches. I got 4, mud soaked boots and clothes and 2 hiking sticks. icon_biggrin.gif Well, there is always next week. icon_cool.gif

inceptor