Womens' Shoes for Hiking/Geocaching

Hey, all you fellow femme geocachers out there!

I wanted to know what kind of shoes you wear while out hiking and geocaching. I know it depends on how rugged your terrain is, but I want to get a sense of what everyone else is wearing out there in the field.

I think I'm getting some Nike Air Trigos. Any opinions on these?

You know that this shoe thing is important to us women... icon_wink.gif <-- [edit 6/16/02 note: sarcasm)

[This message was edited by CourtneyP on June 16, 2002 at 09:24 PM.]

When I first started out I was wearing tennis shoes. I personally chose to buy hiking boots due to the comfort and it being a bit higher up on the ankle.

I chose the Timberland Trail Dust due to comfort and price. I purchased them at Academy Sports for $60. I did find a picture of them if you would like to see what they look like

Timberland

Although not a woman (am I allowed to post?) I would recommend if you're looking at getting 1 "everything" pair, that you get something that can be waterproofed.

I can't tell you how many times I've ran into a flooded trail, etc. and was saved by the beeswax on my boots.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Hea CourtneyP great topic, I was bringing this point up to a friend yesterday while out at Magic Trig. I bought a pair of Merrells, kind of expensive in the Mall but I found mine at World of Shoes in Dublin I'm sure there are other locations closer to you. They are so comfortable! At this point I am about ready for another pair I have almost worn the tread off on the ball of my foot. Probably because I seem to always be walking uphill. Which is perfectly ok because initially I started geocaching in conjunction with my Weight Watchers program I started. I called it walking with a purpose and now I am 30 pounds lighter with a ways to go.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

I wouldn't waste money on Nikes if you're planning on actually going into the outdoors with them. They're god awful expensive just for that silly little check mark, swoosh thing.

Try out www.rei-outlet.com and see what's on clearance in the women's shoes area. Or check in a local outdoor store, there's usually always some kind of sale on shoes nowadays. You don't need serious hking boots, but a pair of those on/off trail shoes/boots would be good...and they're usually waterproof(able). Hehe..I can't say just one word can I?

Anyway, I go from wearing just Birks to white shrimp boots depending on what I'm walking through...but you might not have the swamps like we have down here in the bayou state. But mostly I wear hiking shoes. They're like soft boots...or stiffer shoes. icon_razz.gif

-pizzachef

Thanks for the responses, all.

Firstly, I do want adequate ankle support. I actually did look at some Timberlands boots at some stores today, strode all over the outlet mall to see what was out there.

The Nike Trigos weren't a choice of brand name, it was a matter of price. They were something like $39. Everything at the Outdoor Sporting goods store was around $79-250.

I think I want something not too heavy duty, but sturdier than just my Adidas cross-trainers.

Hope you don't mind advice from a guy, but I bet our footware needs aren't that much different yours when Geocaching. First, stay away from Nike and Timberland. They stress fasion over funcitionality and you pay more for the name.

Spend the extra money for a good pair of hiking boots. You'll find increasd support, durability and often waterproofing in the higher end boots. You're going to have them for a long time, so you may as well spend the big bucks.

Look for boots made by the serious outdoor bootmakers. Rachile, Merrill, Salomon, La Sportiva, Vasque, Asolo, Technica, ECCO and Montrail are all quality boot manufacturers. They may not look as cute as the Nike and Timberland boots, but will serve you much better.

My wife wears Vasque Clarions for most of her hikes and Geocache hunts. Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com) sells them for a very good price. In fact STP has good prices for all their boots. The downside is that unless you live in Wyoming or Nevada, you'll have to purchase by mail and may have to send a few pairs back before you get a good fit. But the savings are worth it. Th Vasque Clarion lists for $115, but sells for $39 in STP. I paid $69 at STP for a pair of Salomons that I saw for $140 on the shelf in Eastern Mtn Sport

Heheheh...

My wife just bought her first pair of heavy duty hiking boots to keep up with me! She found that when we would go out as a fam and the little ones had boots too, we were just pleasantly walking down inclined slopes as if we were walking on sidewalks. She, in her tennies, was taking little baby steps all the way down. It wasn't until she put the boots on and tested going down the incline in the store that she knew how the boys in her family were walking like spiderman.

If you plan to do any SERIOUS walking (and we're not mountain people, believe me), a good pair of boots is a fantastic investment.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Neat topic! My wife and I both wear trail-running shoes such as New Balance 804/805 most of the time. And sometimes we just go out with hiking sandals unless there are prickers. Water is no big deal with the trail runners because they dry quickly, they are sure footed, and don't weight your feet down. The Nikes you mention look a little heavier but are a similar style, if they feel good, just do it!

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

I wear high-top Timberland hiking boots, water-resistant with an additional spraycan of waterproofing material - sorry that I don't know exactly which type of Timberlands. I got them from an outlet store (a nitty-gritty outlet, where I couldn't even find the exact name of the shoe-type icon_rolleyes.gif ; not an upscale, outlet mall). I like them. They give me good support, are comfy, and were really cheap!

This is a good topic: I may just get my new shoes due to an idea here!

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

....I started geocaching in conjunction with my Weight Watchers program I started. I called it walking with a purpose and now I am 30 pounds lighter with a ways to go.

Congratulations, SG. Keep up the good progress!

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyP:

I wanted to know what kind of shoes you wear while out hiking and geocaching. I know it depends on how rugged your terrain is, but I want to get a sense of what everyone else is wearing out there in the field.

You know that this shoe thing is important to us women... icon_wink.gif

Shoes aren't important to me, other than their comfort. I wear Ecco sandals 6.5 days of the week and that includes most geocaching and hiking. (The other .5 day, I wear Naturalizer low-heeled dress shoes). Occasionally, when the ground is especially rugged, I wear a pair of Hitek trail shoes.

Note, I also use a pair of trekking poles, so ankle support in a shoe isn't as important to me.

quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyP:

I wanted to know what kind of shoes you wear while out hiking and geocaching.

Courtney, with all due respect, geocaching is not a fashion show. Men and women geocachers alike simply wear what common sense dictates. Depending on terrain, Teva-type sandals, sneakers, day-hiking boots or even regular hiking boots are worn by both sexes. Just be careful if you go the sandal route, watch for poison ivy and wash your feet thouroughly afterwards just in case.

Pipedreamer with all due respect I was checking out your profile and I see you have found NO caches or hidden any! So how would you know what is needed while out caching. Correct me if i'm wrong. I think Courtney asked a valid question. I did some research before I purchased my first pair of hiking shoes to make sure they would be right for the terrain out here in the Bay Area. Having never done this sort of thing before, I felt research was a great way to get started. Please keep it real when posting to a thread you are obviously not interesed in.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

59/3

Horizontals where it's at!

Pipedreamer...

I didn't see Courtney say "Hey, what's the latest look out on the trail"

She wanted to know what was going to benefit her most.

I bought a pair of Nevadoes from Academy Sports. They were inexpensive and the best shoe they had for women.

My feet are really small or I would have bought the same boot that I got for my husband (Coleman waterproof)...However, the smallest they had was a 7 in mens and it just wasn't small enough.

Find something that fits, is comfortable and that will do good in the terrain you will primarily be in. Comfort is most important.

(Edit note: I don't like shoes. If I could walk around barefoot or with sandals on all the time I would. But the overgrowth and ground here just doesn't work that well with GeoCaching.)

Holly

[This message was edited by TripleMCachers on June 12, 2002 at 08:17 AM.]

Courtney, this is an excellent question.

I agree with what several people have said so far, in that I think you will be happier if you have a high-top shoe, happier if you have a hiking boot, and that you'll do well to go to REI to get them.

I'm not an expert Geocacher, but I do have a pair of hiking boots I'm in love with that do well for rougher terrain.

They're fairly old, so I don't know if you can get them now, but you can probably get something similar. They are made by "Vasque", and are a combination suede and Gore-Tex. They have a deep tread. Walking up and down hills in them is easy because they grip well. They resist moisture; even when I've been walking in slush for a few hours, my feet are still dry. They grip well on snow, ice, mud, and better than most on slippery rocks. I think the Gore-Tex must be the main body of the shoe, and the suede mostly decorative, due to how water-resistant they are.

I also like the way they lace. Instead of typical shoelace holes, they have D-shaped grommets. I just pull the laces tight and tie 'em. They don't require much fussing with at all.

Now, the downside: it takes a bit to get them broken in. If you can wear them to the office for

a couple of hours a day for a few days, that'll help a lot.

Once you get them broken in, though, I think you'll be very happy.

Shannah

I went with a heavier duty hiking boot (Vasque Super Hiker II) which I bought "like new" on eBay for about half the retail price. Warning: Do not buy used boots on eBay and only buy them on eBay if you have been fitted for THAT specific brand and model. I recommend a boot. You can still walk on paved paths with them while staying dry and supported on rugged trails. A walking shoe will suffice for light trail walking but not the occasional off-trail walking. Of course, I agree that if you can afford to, keep some Tevas, walking shoes, and hiking boots in your car so that you're best prepared for all conditions.

page82a.jpg

Vasque Super Hiker II

I love my Vasque boots. I've had the same pair of 'Skywalks' for about 12 years. All leather with a gore-tex liner. We've been all kinds of places together. Snow, mountains, desert, you name it. If you take care of them, they will take care of you. But just last week, I literally walked the sole right off of one of my beloved boots ( I knew it was about time to have them reglued but wore them anyway) coming down a very steep and rocky hillside. (Looking for a place to put a cache of course) I tried to work my way back up the hill to find the missing sole but couldn't locate it. I nearly cried. I've sent it off to be repaired. ( That is another great thing about the top brand boots, they can be repaired, resoled indefinitely) It's probably my fault that there is such a great lull in geocaching activity because I just can't bear to go out without my favorite boots. icon_razz.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

On all of our geocaching outings I wear a pair of waterproofed mid-top Montrails and wool socks. This setup keeps my feet dry, unblistered, and protected from all those painful prickly plant things.

The other half of Team Dralasites hates wearing shoes and wears Birkenstocks (sandals) whenever he can help it. (It's partly why I've become the unofficial team scout. I like my job. icon_cool.gif )

p.s. I didn't find out until shortly after I bought my boots that the really good boots have stitch-down soles so they can be re-soled when they're worn out... but that's something to keep in mind.

Colleen

From one whe grew up in the Silicon Valley.

Whatever you do (and there has been lots of good advice) buy a shoe that is comfortable, fits well. Every shoe company uses a different pattern or base for their shoes, and not all size 10's are the same (not implying that anyone other than me wears this size icon_wink.gif ). Spend time wearing them around the store for at least a half hour. If the store won't let you do this, don't buy them from there. Mecca - I mean REI, is wonderful about this. Walk up stairs and downstairs in them, noting slippage or your toes banging into the front. Walk on an incline board if they have one.

Like everyone else I would encourage you to potentially look into a sturdier boot. A Nike "boot" or a Timberline boot will do a great job for a while, but a nice hiking boot will last for years. You may end up spending more money initially, but in the long run you won't be replacing it every year or two either. A nice hiking boot will also conform to your foot over time which is wonderful. Go to a place like REI, which sells both types of shoes, and talk to their people. A good sales person is going to grill you about how you plan on using the footwear, and will also give you multiple options.

I think too, that your climate is different from say the climate here in the NW, or a place like Minnesota. You can do some great challenging hiking in the foothills down there, but you're typically not dealing with a lot of wet, slippery rock or mucky trails. I can think of only once in 20 years that I was down there when it snowed, and in general you can get away with something lighter.

Personally, I wear a bunch of different stuff depending on my mood, the weather, and the potential terrain I'm hitting. If I'm climbing Mt. Hood, the La Sportiva Makalu's come out, if I'm hitting a park around the corner - the Nike's come out.

Courtney,

I am a guy,however I've been hiking the Bay Area hills all of my life and have bought many boots, for me as well as my wife and kids.

Merrell, Vasque & Montrail are all good, quality names (I wear Montrails) but can be pricy. Hi-tec is generally a decent boot and good value. There is an outlet in Tracy and Big 5 usually has a model or two on sale. Whatever you buy, look for a boot that will provide ankle support and is not too heavy. A "light hiker" style is good for this area.

Some advice on fitting a boot. Try them on in the afternoon. Most people's feet are larger then. Wear the same type of sock(s) that you plan to hike in when you try them on. Make sure your heal is firm, but not tight, in the cup and that your toes have just enough room to wiggle.

Once you buy a pair, waterproof it. Not so much to keep your feet dry but to extend the life of the boot. To keep from getting blisters, don't wear cotton socks. Wear either a wool/syntetic blend or a 100% synthetic sock. I usually wear a sock liner as well to wick moisture away. Also, break the boots in by wearing them around the house for a week or two.

Finally, this time of year I would recommend short (or spring) gaiters. Lots of stickers out there and the Star Thistles come out at the end of the summer.

Just my two cents worth...

-Mark.

Will cache for food

I, like you, was new to buying boots. Fortunately I took the advice of an experienced hiker and went to REI. The sales clerk was extremely knowledgable and helped me find the right boot for me....which was a lightweight boot with Gore-tex. Both my husband and I think that Gore-tex is an absolute must. Even though most of the outside looks similar to a tennis shoe (i.e. fabric), there is absolutely no problem with water. Now I tromp through water and mud without concern and my feet remain totally dry. icon_biggrin.gif They were not cheap, but they did have a range of prices from which to choose.

By the way, be sure and look into good socks, as well. I am always surprised at how expensive they are, but they make all the difference.

Alchemist2000

Thank again, everyone. This thread is helping me immensely.

And thanks to those who defended me on the "geocaching is not a fashion show" bit. My intention is solely to find the best shoe for my needs, who cares about brand or look.

I will definitely check out REI. I went to one outdoor sporting store and they only seemed to have half a dozen pairs and no one willing to help me. There's a REI store right nearby, so that's my next stop tomorrow.

I do definitely want the ankle support, so I'm going for a boot for sure. And some good socks. And some gaiters. icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you thank you thank you, gals & guys! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyP:immens

I will definitely check out REI. I went to one outdoor sporting store and they only seemed to have half a dozen pairs and no one willing to help me. There's a REI store right nearby, so that's my next stop tomorrow.

I do definitely want the ankle support, so I'm going for a boot for sure. And some good socks. And some gaiters. icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Courtney,

Also check out Mel Cottons, They have a pretty good selection of womens hiking boots. me personally I have been wearing Vasque boots for many years, I recently have bought a pair of LL Bean boots have have been very happy with them so far.

Thank you thank you thank you, gals & guys! icon_smile.gif

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good suggestions. This is no suggestion, but a warning. I bought a pair of Nike trail shoes. Can't think of the name right now but it's from their "all conditions gear" line. I think they really need to reconsider the "all conditions" moniker. The soles of my shoes have a plastic insert where the foot arches. If you step on anything like a log or a rock and it contacts this plastic insert it will slip. I've nearly fallen a few times because of it. I won't wear them in the woods anymore.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Good Topic!

To the tyro:

No, it isn't a fashion show, no one ever said it was and next time you feel tempted to make a snide, sexist comment, use your REAL nick!

In General:

I too did some research into boots before buying some. I have had excellent luck with New Balance for casual shoes so I checked out their website and the Denham boots that they make. I like NB's because they make them in wide sizes and I have wide feet.

I purchased (online) a pair of New Balance MO851's. They are waterproof (very important to me) and they have an excellent mid-foot support. They are extremely lightweight even though the lugs are deep and agressive. They are a mid-ankle boot and I appreciate the ankle support. I have had them since the beginning of March and I now enjoy Geocaching even more.

It is amazing the difference a good pair of shoes/boots can make.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

I have a question about waterproof boots.

A couple years ago, I bought a pair of hiking boots on short notice. I stopped at a local outdoors store (which means a hunting and fishing shop) and purchased a pair of light-hiking Rocky's.

They've suited me quite well, and they've given me a much better idea of what type of boot I want next.

But here's my query. These boots are waterproof... in a way. The actual boot is not waterproof, but there is a full liner inside the boot that you put your foot into that is waterproof. What I've found is that when I'm walking in the wet, the boot lets in water (thereby gaining weight) but does not let my feet get wet. I like that my feet are dry, but I don't like that I can feel the water all around my foot.

Is this just some cheap way to waterproof an otherwise nonwaterproof boot, or is this a legitimate waterproofing technique?

Jamie

Jamie,

There are lots of products on the market to treat the ouside of your boots. Most places that sell boots will carry them( cant thing of namebrands off hand) as far as the liner goes, In my experience having a GoreTex liner has been great for me, keeps you dry but lets your boot breathe, the down side to gore tex is that your feet tend to get a bit warmer.

Just my 2 cents.

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyb5:

Men who wear women's shoes geocaching and the women that put up with it. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

It's starting to look like a Jerry Springer show now icon_smile.gif

OK, no comments now!! I had to buy men's hikers because I couldn't find any women's that had a wide enough toe box. And I sold the first non-fitting pair to my best friend for her 13-year-old son. What fits is what works!

I think the New Balance Trail Shoes and Dunham Boots (which is owned by NB) are good shoes, too. I just couldn't find one that fit me at the outlet store (unemployed and pinching pennies); ended up buying Nevados low hikers at Academy and they are doing OK for me at a very low cost; I suspect some day I'll buy some more expensive ones but ... well you know the story.

BTW, his full name is Jerry Springer SPANIEL.

Candy

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

quote:
Originally posted by Moosiegirl:

OK, no comments now!! I had to buy men's hikers because I couldn't find any women's that had a wide enough toe box. And I sold the first non-fitting pair to my best friend for her 13-year-old son. What fits is what works!

I think there are two conversations going on in this thread... icon_wink.gif

Really, though... whatever works best for you, go for it. I went in thinking that I would get a Vasque boot, but found out they just didn't work for me. Everyone's feet are different.

REI is a great store if you have one near you. You can tell them what you are looking for and they will try to find a boot to suit your needs. I have had most of the higher end boots mentioned. I don't include nike or timburland. The good thing about REI is they have a little walking hill to test the boots on. I have baught new boots from REI that cost over $200 for less than $100.

Courtney,

I think you will be very happy with the Salomons; a good choice! As you found out, some brands of boots fit well and others just don't.

It doesn't make it a bad boot, but it might not be right for you. Each boot manufacturer uses a different foot mold (AKA last) and are designed for different types of feet. I know. I have a pair of really good Rachlies that I spent a good chunck of money on. I get blisters all the time when I wear them. I've tried everything; custom footbeds, what have you. Then I picked up my Salomons and there is no problem at all, I love the boots.

The costly Raichles sit on the shelf most of the time. I wear them now and then to

try to justify my investment, but before I do, I have to protect my feet with moleskin or duct tape. So most of the time, I just wear the Salomons

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyb5:

I know this isnt the right place to ask this but since it seems like there is ppl watching this one so im gonna aske here. Is there a geocaching chat room where we could all talk or do any of you have instant messenger?

Johnny,

I don't know of any Chat rooms, but you can set up a private topic using "MyPop" section. It appears to be by invite only. (No on the IM.)

-Mark.

Will cache for food

www.clayjar.com/gc/chat

Manday nights are the official time but there is usually someone there.

You can download and read the previous logs. (Works really well to sync these to a Palm to read while you're waiting in line, other than the weird looks you get when you bust-up laughing.)

er...um...shoes. Congrats at finding a pair you're happy with but the fishnets were a joke. The "How Berkeley Can You Be?" parade doesn't take place in Tilden.

Maybe Iron-Chef will wear pink spandex and a cape?

I knew I'd been in Berkeley too long when I saw "Free Firewood" and I wondered who this Firewood fellow was and what he had done.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

er...um...shoes. Congrats at finding a pair you're happy with but the fishnets were a joke. The "How Berkeley Can You Be?" parade doesn't take place in Tilden.

Ah yes, so it is. You must have meant mosquito nets. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Maybe Iron-Chef will wear pink spandex and a cape?

Like this?

(yes, I witnessed this in person)

Sounds like Courtney has found a new store to hang around in. It's my kind of toy store. Cortney, if you didn't get any hiking socks with the boots, you should check out smartwools. You dont need to wear liner socks, they are very comfortable and come in several thickness' Expensive, but like boots, are made better and last longer.

quote:
No, it isn't a fashion show, no one ever said it was

Then why was her post directed at all "femme" geocachers? Why not to just "geocachers"? Most hiking boots models are made in both mens and womens sizes.

She next admits that she's asking because "You know that this shoe thing is important to us women...(wink)".

Seems pretty clear that she is asking what kind of footwear is FASHIONABLE. Hence my "fashion show" comment.