The 'Dog-Daze' of Summer

Cachier

Hi, its been really hot and muggy here in the Northeast so far this Summer. Reports indicate that most of the U.S. is experiencing the same HOT and DRY weather conditions.

Has the hot weather affected your ambition to do Geocaching? Has the hot weather slow you down or do you thrive in the heat? icon_cool.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

Wow, I read about this stuff you call "weather" in the forums. Hmmm, I don't believe we get that here in Los Angeles. You gotta be thankful that here in Southern California, we never get rain, snow, too hot (well, close on that one), too cold, ice, sleet, mosquitos, kudzu or anything else that you other folks have to put up with.

Now, if you want to talk about seasons, we have four... Riot, Flood, Earthquake, and Fire season. But, hey, that would never stop a dedicated cacher. icon_wink.gif

stealyourcache.gif "Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out." -Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

We are new cachers here in Oregon. We aren't letting the heat slow us down because I'm guessing once the 9 months of rain start that will slow us down a bit. Right now we're using a palm with a GPS companion so we had a tough time the one day we were out in the rain.

---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

Not much ambition to get away from the fan here because it's been so hot and muggy. Fortunately, we do have 3000 miles of coastline, it is usually cooler there so we've been spending a lot of time there and caching there when we can.

Keep Earth clean, it's not Uranus.

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

Has the hot weather affected your ambition to do Geocaching? Has the hot weather slow you down or do you thrive in the heat?"

I moved north from Dallas. IMO, it hasn't gotten hot in Kentucky.

We were geocaching two weekends ago and plan to go this weekend (unless there is wind; then I have to go sailing instead).

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Nurse Dave -- I'll trade you one month of cool NW rain for a bone-dry, but still humid southerly breeze off the Chesapeake Bay. I would eat the family cat for a chance to go caching in the rain right now... I've forgotten what rain actually looks and feels like.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

90-100 degrees, 10 knots off the Bay out of the southwest, 95% hunidity, and the last drop of rain I felt on my forehead was before the 4th of July. That's bone-dry humid. I can't wait for the hurricane season to begin...it will still be 90-100 degrees but the winds will increase to 75- 120 kts out of the NW, N, NE, SE, SW and bring sweet rain, coastal flooding and, well, you get the picture. The crabs and oysters are great though...

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

There are some area caches that sound great but will be more enjoyable in fall so we're waiting. But we still get anxious when it's been over a week with no finds and we do brave the hot weather. It does stink to have to put on long pants when it's 90+ but I guess we're just hooked.

Been spending a lot of time working on finding hiding spots for a series of caches we're planning so even if we're not finding, we're still "geocaching" in a sense. Legwork is all done, now we're putting the finishing touches on caches and getting them set out.

All-in all, I'd have to say busy schedules have a bigger influence on our geocaching activity than weather.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars