Coordinates GPS315

Guest RTr1031732

Guest RTr1031732

I have purchase a Magellan 315, trying to learn to get me started doing geo-cache. My question is what are the steps, once I see a longitude and latitude on a particular cache, how would I enter it on my 315? I read and a lot, I can click on cities etc., but where do I put the cache locations in order to see where this location is located? I am new to this and need all the instruction possible, thanks. Bob

Guest cache_ninja

howdy,

a few things, play around with it, and read through the manual more than once, that will help a lot.

two options

1.walk outside and turn it on, once it gets a lock and starts averaging, hit "mark" that creates a waypoint/landmark, make a name for it("i.e. "home") choose icon, and just hit enter a bunch of times, it'll save your spot. now walk a distance away. hit "goto" find your spot in the list of "landmarks" , "user". then use the different screens to navigate your way back to that spot. this is the best way to learn how to use it initially, in an area you are familiar with.

2.to put in cache, just hit "mark", edit it, name, edit the coordinates (make sure you are setup in wgs-84 datum and the same coordinate system as the url!!)and save it.. now its in there, hit "goto" find it in the "user" list ,navigate to cache... flip through the nav screens, you'll find a few you like better than others, you can disable some of them(i never use spedometer or that other driving one)...

hope this helps?

lemme know

c/n

Guest martinp13

I don't know if the 315 is different from the 330 in this respect, but to add a new waypoint on the 330 I have to press/hold MARK until it creates one, and then I edit it. Just hitting MARK will let you select a point for a GOTO.

[This message has been edited by martinp13 (edited 11 June 2001).]

Guest RTr1031732

Thanks alot Martin, I did get the hand of it, after getting out in my area and just trying it out, and going over THE manual. Have a good one.