Really dangerous caches?

Rubbertoe

Just wondering what kind of dangerously placed caches are out there. I recently placed one on the front of Mt Pleasant, one of the biggest hills around town - and even though I put it in a place on the face that was fairly easy to get to, I still worry about clumsy people tripping and falling off the side. icon_smile.gif

Feel free to post up the URL of a cache that you've seen that is pretty dangerous. If I see some really dangerous ones, I might have to place another cache on Mt Pleasant... somewhere close to where I'm sitting in this picture. icon_biggrin.gif

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

I know of two in Southern California. One is supposed to be easy but, I bought a climbing rope for protection the next time I try to find it. It is supposed to be on this desert slope that is full of yucca plants. Those bad boys hurt when they stab you, as my first attempt proved.

The other dangerous cache was purposefully place on the face of a cliff! The author clearly tells you that you better be a darn good climber or a pro to go after it. I believe him!

In closing, I am a scuba diver and am contemplating doing an underwater cache. Obviously you would have to be a certified diver to go get it as it will be too deep for most people to even attempt. I guess pearl divers are excluded but it will be in cold, cold water so maybe not. I do not want it to be any more dangerous that recreational diving already is-but there's the rub. A diver's cache does have its dangers.

Seems then there are two types of dangerous caches. Those that could be dangerous unintentionally and those that have advertised, known dangerous elements in or about them.

Come to think of it, I just read about a cache on Mt.Hood In Oregon, where the author put the cache in some rocks and reported that it is in a really snakey place and for cachers not to put their hands in the rock holes to look for the cache but, to use hiking sticks!!!

I don't know if this is the type of response you were looking for-hope it is! This is Easel of Teasel signing off. icon_razz.gif

Team Teasel [:rolleyes:]

Living 100 miles from nowhere,my idea of the dangerous caches would the the urban ones! Give me a snake, bear of cliff anyday. They are all predictable to me. But those city cars, people, and dark alleys ....

I think what is dangerous is all relative...

Keep Earth clean, it's not Uranus.

Yeah - I don't mind the nature stuff either... when I think of deer and snakes and rabbits and stuff, I think of them as a good thing. Scenery. icon_biggrin.gif

But yeah - those caches that are hidden in places that have steep drops, dangerous waters, etc... those are the kind I think of when I think "dangerous."

Someone found my my most dangerous cache the other day, and said that it wasn't as bad as one would think. I feel better having some approval from the general public. icon_smile.gif

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

About 15 months ago I was driving I-5 from Oregon to San Diego. So bored was I that I placed the first 3 I-Hate I-5 caches. Since then people have ran with it.

I'm curious as to which one was deemed dangerous because I know of one cache that can be reached by pulling over on the freeway, but, there is an access road that leads you directly to the cache. The cache page even tells you not to stop on the freeway. So I'm wondering which one is dangerous?

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

The "I hate I 5" caches that I know of, that run through Northern CA, are at rest stops. I suppose you could pull off as soon as your arrow pointed left, instead of pulling into the rest stop icon_eek.gif......

I have one cache that I warn people ..."This is not for children. Depending on your approach, the last 1/8 to 1/4 mile can be a little hairy, a fall could result in serious injury".....and while the few that have been there loved it, one cacher wrote..

"HOLLY CRAPOLA! I nearly met my maker on this one. I recommend a safety rope and carabeeners to anyone else seeking this adventure!"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19746

Like I said, "Depending on your approach"...I cant imagine needing ropes, I was worried about everyone falling in the creek, everyone does it seems icon_biggrin.gif

My most dangerous cache was placed in the middle of the mountains during Winter, it took 2 days to get to.

There will always be people out there that could make any cache dangerous, just give them fair warning and hope it won't contribute to any "INS missions".

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

I would guess that all the I Hate I-5 caches are dangerous! The last time I was on I-5 the slow motor homes were running along about 70--the fast stuff was going so fast it was a blur; never mind that the traffic was bumper-to-bumper! icon_wink.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I'm curious as to which one was deemed dangerous because I know of one cache that can be reached by pulling over on the freeway, but, there is an access road that leads you directly to the cache. The cache page even tells you not to stop on the freeway. So I'm wondering which one is dangerous?

Is that the one with the Tunnel under I-5?

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

Steak the one I was thinking about was that tunnel one. I don't consider that one dangerous though even if you did stop on the freeway. There is a lot of room. I drove all over getting to that cache and when I got to it I wished I had just stopped on the freeway. Looks like we aren't going to get an answer. Just a hit and run complaint I guess.

Went caching the other day at Leatherman's Cave with the Bryno and the Mann and we had to walk up and down these razorback rock ridges with drops offs to the side and I don't like heights. If the drop is too far down, and too close, my knees get wobbly. Bryno and Mann started laughing, they knew I was scared because I was holding these pencil thin branches on the nearest bushes just to keep my balance, with my knees shaking so. No way would those branches have stopped me from falling if I did lose my balance but they made me feel secure. But it all depends on your fear factor. Some people have none. I once fell 11 feeet into an empty concrete swimming pool, landing on my back, so I have a healthy fear of heights from experience. Luckily, I was young and flexible at the time so no damage done, Thank God.

Cache you later,

Planet

I have been comtemplating putting a cache on a trail that leads to a fovorite fishing spot. The problem is the area is polluted with copper heads. I've been biten by them twice (when i was much younger and hadn't learned how to spot them) and ended up a little off kilter for a few days. But seeing as geocaching is a family sport I wouldn't want to put children into the area where the effect of the poison could be much more serious.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore and the Shadow:

I have been comtemplating putting a cache on a trail that leads to a fovorite fishing spot. The problem is the area is polluted with copper heads. I've been biten by them twice (when i was much younger and hadn't learned how to spot them) and ended up a little off kilter for a few days. But seeing as geocaching is a family sport I wouldn't want to put children into the area where the effect of the poison could be much more serious.

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore and the Shadow:

Go ahead--just make certain to note the presence of copperheads in the area in terms clear enough for even the most dunderheaded of people:

"You--yes, I mean you! There are poisonous snakes near (maybe even on) this cache! Do not attempt this cache barefoot! Do not bring small children to this cache without wrapping them in sheet metal to protect them from snake fangs! Careless people will be bitten!!!"

Someone will complain anyway, but you will have warned them....

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Heh-heh. I just joined up with this geocaching thing and was wondering about the dangers of it just before I came across this message thread here.

I had google-searched the 'net for geocaching danger and found this, somewhat morbid yet strange and funny (depends on your level of humor, hence my little laugh at start) web page someone wrote about an experience of theirs.

http://www.noah.org/geocache/worst_case_scenario/

Maybe some of you know of it already? Like I said, I'm new to this whole thing as of this week and I think it's a really great thing for those of us who like to wander the outdoors.

Be safe! heh-heh

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

My choice?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2686

Read the logs. I especially like the one about "What kind of a sicko would put a cache here".

Sounds challenging, on a side note, is just touching the container enough to log it as a find? I'm not passing judgement because I'm sure this is one of those "you had to be there" caches, but after all the work to get there, I'd feel incomplete if I couldn't get a log into the log book. Although given the choice of not logging or falling into a black hole.... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

My first cache ever is pretty hairy.

It's located on a real narrow, steep winding road that locals FLY down at insane speeds. Just driving there is scary.

Not to mention that the only place to park for the cache is right at a blind hairpin turn. You have to walk on an off-camber slope, that is either wet, or the wind is blowing about 50+ mph. which makes it even more dangerous.

Oh yeah, if you slip down that slope, you'll end up falling back onto the road and you will end up roadkill.

KURTULEAS

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

My choice?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2686

Read the logs. I especially like the one about "What kind of a sicko would put a cache here".

Sounds challenging, on a side note, is just touching the container enough to log it as a find? I'm not passing judgement because I'm sure this is one of those "you had to be there" caches, but after all the work to get there, I'd feel incomplete if I couldn't get a log into the log book. Although given the choice of not logging or falling into a black hole.... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I actually got the container open (after chipping away some ice). I couldn't reach into the bottom of the container to check all of the contents, so I left an item and signed the log.

I just modified the online log entry to read 'reach' instead of 'touch'. Sorry for the confusion.

[This message was edited by geospotter on September 19, 2002 at 09:05 AM.]