Are signature items identified as such in the cache?

I've been thinking of coming up with a signature item, but have a lot of questions. When people have a signature item, do they put some type of id on it so that other cachers know it is a signature item? And, if so, how do you id it--what do you put on it and how?

Also, when you leave a signature item, do you leave something else, too, or just the signature item? When I did a search on signature items, I noticed some are very inexpensive items...like "2 loose screws". How would you know this was a signature item? And, one guy in our area always seems to leave a golf tee (noticed it in his log ins). We saw one of the golf tees and it had nothing on it to identify it as a signature item and nothing special about it (I'm not trying to offend anyone here--I just want answers), and if people talk about "trading up", this doesn't seem to add any value. So, shouldn't something else of value be left with it if the signature item is that small in value? Or at least have it autographed or something?

Anything else I need to know about signature items?

Signature items are sometimes marked as such, but not always. There is a cacher around here named Orange, who leaves an orange crayon in all caches. People know who left it, but there is no marking. But I've seen other signature items that have the cacher's name on them.

As far as it being the only item you leave, that depends. If you are taking nothing, but just leaving your signature item that's fine.

If you are taking something nice and your signature item is something nice, then I'd say that's OK too.

But if you're taking something nice and your signature item is a screw, or a penny, or a single crayon, or a business card, or any other item of little value, then I think it's only fair for the person to add some additional items.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 05, 2003 at 06:28 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Signature items are sometimes marked as such, but not always. There is a cacher around here named Orange, who leaves an orange crayon in all caches. People know who left it, but there is no marking. But I've seen other signature items that have the cacher's name on them.

As far as it being the only item you leave, that depends. If you are taking nothing, but just leaving your signature item that's fine.

If you are taking something nice and your signature item is something nice, then I'd say that's OK too.

But if you're taking something nice and your signature item is a screw, or a penny, or a single crayon, or a business card, or any other item of little value, then I think it's only fair for the person to add some additional items.

_"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"_ -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 05, 2003 at 06:28 AM.]

My crayon is always left in addition, I never consider it part of any trade. Just clearing that up. I know Brian knows that but just for every one else reading these forums. If I TNLN sometime I still left the crayon. But you won't find it in micros or other small caches. 98% of the time I have signed the log with it.

quote:
Originally posted by the hangman:

Is it considered acceptable to take signature items (trade for them like you would any other item)?

Or should they be left in the cache ?

Definitely take them!

I like the personalized signature items much better, and home made or even hand signed ones are a step above that. If you leave a greek coin in a cache as a signature item, how am I supposed to know it's your item, especially if I am from out of town and not familiar with local signature items.

My sig item is a CD with pictures of my area, I think most people like it.

Money doesn't grow on trees, but there is cache in the woods.

quote:

Anything else I need to know about signature items?

This is what we leave and there is a Pin Stuck through the laminate. The pin is a Heart with Valentine on it. IF the cacher takes the card with the pin, that is OK, we just request that the card be left in the cache.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/59626_500.jpg

We trade separately so the Sig Card has no relevance to our trade items.

quote:

Is it considered acceptable to take signature items (trade for them like you would any other item)?

I sure hope some one takes my crayon eventually but it is hardly worth trading for. Since I just leave it in addition someone can take it with out trade.

If the signature item is more valuable then trade for it of course.

quote:
Originally posted by rabbitsong:

I've been thinking of coming up with a signature item, but have a lot of questions. When people have a signature item, do they put some type of id on it so that other cachers know it is a signature item? And, if so, how do you id it--what do you put on it and how?

Get some mailing labels and use the PD logos for geocaching. print off a sheet with a logo and your geocaching handle pre-printed on the label. Add the name of the cache that you left your signature item in, and instantly even a golf tee becomes more interesting as it came from a specific cacher on a given day, and if you happen to find it in a different cache, it makes it fun to see how the items travel. Its a kick to see your own signature item beat you to a cache.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

There is someone around our area that leaves a stamped penny. We had found one in a previous cache, but didn't consider taking it. When this person visited our cache, they left a log that indicated that it was their sig item. If we had known that this was a signature item earlier, we'd have been more inclined to trade.

Reading this thread has made me decide to change our signature items to be labled as such. (BTW, one of our sig item is a dice game, with dice and printed rules inside a ziplock bag.)

Does one need to place the signature item in a bag with an explanation? Is an expanation card necessary?

My items will have my GeoCaching NN on them. I am planning on numbering each signature item, but I don't think I will keep a log of their travels.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by brianmcm:

Does one need to place the signature item in a bag with an explanation? Is an expanation card necessary?

No, you don't need to label them cacher's will know your item is a signature item once they start to see it in caches you have visited.

I want to add my $.02 on this one. I love signature items and lately I haven't been taking much out of caches except signature items. So, I either trade my patch for another signature item or I usually just leave the patch and take nothing. I don't think anyone could see it without realizing that it is a signature item, so there is no special label on it. Others around here leave small items that might be considered boring except for the tag on them identifying the item as a signature item. I was thrilled when I found a small metal jack (not to lift cars but from the playground game with a red rubber ball) with JJAC's tag on it. Same thing when I found a small green army man with Rifle6 written on the bottom of it. Both of these items were inexpensive but as identified signature items I, at least, considered them valuable. Orange I'm not going to tell you what to do BUT...if you are ever in Utah and place an Orange crayon, if you will put a tag on it identifying it as your Orange crayon I think it would be worth anything else that the cache might contain. I'm never going to hold a sale to get rid of any of the trade items I take, so while I appreciate someone leaving a signature items that also cost them a bit of money it is the Signature nature of the item that I really value.

I always leave two things. The first is a DQ Coin. It's good for a free small cone or Dilly Bar or ice cream sandwich (I own a Dairy Queen). The other thing I leave is my Calling Card. Just a card with all the information about me on it along with a picture of my favorite airplane. Sometimes I take something for trade...sometimes not.....but always leave those two things.

Scoobie

Livin' & Dyin' in 3/4 Time

Mmmmm.... ice cream sammich *drool*

When I leave one of my handmade geo tokens which has my name logo on it, I don't leave a explanation label.

When I leave a handmade item such as bracelet, necklace, etc, it has its own baggie and card saying "handmade by MountainMudbug"

I don't leave my signature coins in every cache - I decided to drop them infrequently, it makes them harder to find and therefore a little more special when you run across one (in my opinion).

quote:
Orange I'm not going to tell you what to do BUT...if you are ever in Utah and place an Orange crayon, if you will put a tag on it identifying it as _your_ Orange crayon I think it would be worth anything else that the cache might contain.

Well Crayola has already labelled it for me. It says orange right on it. So there you go! It will be in a small ziplock bag by itself or with another crayon that says jungle green.

quote:

Take those puppies. Some people collect them.

My signature item is in a box in a storage unit and hasn't seen play for some time. When I did leave it I only noted it as an item left or traded for. Only once or twice in the logs have I ever said it was a signature item. Now I'm liking the geo coin thing but man they are spendy.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Our signature items are computer keyboard keys that my kids decided to rip off two old keyboards I had laying around. We mark in the log that we left our "SI keys 'X' and '5'" or whatever keys they are... but since they're not any real value, I can't see anyone taking them... of course, I don't think I'd really care much anywho, it was just something that we had handy and seemed to fit our profile (kids taking keycaps off keyboards, heh).

I'd stuff a PB&J in the cache, but they say no food items ;-p

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

Hey Cannon Law! The first cache I ever found

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3225

had your signature item and I took it. At the time I did not know anything about signature items. I still have the patch and it smells like soap since someone put a big bar of Ivory Soap in the cache box.

quote:
So, I either trade my patch for another signature item or I usually just leave the patch and take nothing.