New law against geocaching!!!

My girlfriends father is a the park manager for this area's state parks, and I had told him about geocaching about 3 months ago. Today, he told me that they had informed him of a new law that was being passed forbidding geocaching in state parks, wildlife preserves, and even just plain BLM land. We saw most of this coming, but the BLM land is a little bit of overkill I think. Has anyone else heard anything about this? With BLM land making up most of the western states, that isn't going to leave much land for us to pursue this sport. Does anyone else have any information regarding this subject? please respond!!! The Real DesertRat

Considering that the BLM in Az and Ut condones if not promotes OHV use in many areas I think it would seem rather silly that they would universally ban geocaching...perhaps its just BLM administured refuges and wilderness areas....which seems proper to me anyway.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

I think it would be wise to keep current on this topic. Banning all these areas would just about wipe out our sport. Seeing there are about 7-8000 active geocachers, we might have some say in what laws get passed before they get passed if we work together and write our congressman. Again, I would only suggest this if the threat is in fact real.

I can’t quite see this being totally true. To allow or not to allow geocaching would not require a law per se. The laws (state and federal) already exist that grant the agencies responsible for public lands the ability to regulate activities on those lands as needed. A specific law (state or federal or even local) addressing geocaching would be overkill. More likely, an agency would simply adopt regulations prohibiting an activity, and the likelihood that several agencies would do so simultaneously seems remote.

14286_300.JPG

Seems a bit suspect. Federal agencies have no control over state parks. And BLM lands have already created their own policy on geocaching (positive). Possibly a grandstander is out there ruffling feathers.

And you're right. Geocachers that I met are a good lot that has done some great things in parks. We've been pretty good at policing ourselves so far. And if something like this were to happen, we have a good organization to take action to prevent it.

If you have any real facts (like a memo or something), let us know. I'd like to hear more substance than hearsay on this. I personally get "tips" whenever something comes down the pipeline, and I have yet to hear even a whisper.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet

I have been mulling over writing a letter to our Senator Hatch to introduce him to the sport and ask for his support.

He is a good guy on issues like this and he has a lot of pull in Washington.

Maybe he would be willing to watch our backs.

geosign.gif

While doing the "At the Top" cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13371) last friday, I spoke with the Chief (Supervising) Ranger at Palomar State Park (in California) about geocaching. His comment is that they are allowed, but you need a permit and the State Park System is currently not issuing any permits for caches while the State Parks look into it.

Their problem is geocachers cutting trails and trambling in areas that they shouldn't be in. Also there is a problem about protected areas (such as uncovered archaeological/historical and senstive areas) being disturbed. Also the problem with animals.

As a former National Park Ranger, I can see the logic here. I don't like it when I see people "cutting"trails or going into areas that are posted as off limits. We need to protect are resources for future generations.

Of course, JMHO

Garmin Vista

Garmin Street Pilot

quote:
Originally posted by The Real DesertRat:

From what he has told me it is going to be a federal law.

On BLM land, state parks, game and fish preserves, and national parks. I am going to ask him for more information on the subject. When I have it I will hopefully be able to give some links to info.. The Real DesertRat

Oh, come on. icon_frown.gif Please get the facts before posting such an alarmist topic complete with three (3) exclamation points. If the federal legislators were to be so misguided and blindly ambitious in their pursuit, do you really think the states are going to stand by and allow federal government jurisdiction in State Parks on something as minor as this to go unchallenged?

There's already been one war fought in this country because several states had jurisdictional disagreements with the federal government. Now your rumor threatens to start another!!! icon_wink.gif

Save your Dixie cups, folks; the South may yet have to rise again! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:

From what he has told me it is going to be a federal law.

On BLM land, state parks, game and fish preserves, and national parks. I am going to ask him for more information on the subject. When I have it I will hopefully be able to give some links to info.. The Real DesertRat

Oh, come on. icon_frown.gif Please get the facts before posting such an alarmist topic complete with three (3) exclamation points. If the federal legislators were to be so misguided and blindly ambitious in their pursuit, do you really think the states are going to stand by and allow federal government jurisdiction in State Parks on something as minor as this to go unchallenged?

There's already been one war fought in this country because several states had jurisdictional disagreements with the federal government. Now your rumor threatens to start another!!! icon_wink.gif

Save your Dixie cups, folks; the South may yet have to rise again! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Rick:

I think it would be wise to keep current on this topic. Banning all these areas would just about wipe out our sport. Seeing there are about 7-8000 active geocachers, we might have some say in what laws get passed before they get passed if we work together and write our congressman. Again, I would only suggest this if the threat is in fact real.

There may only be 7000 now but I got involved in January and so far have 25 caches, and about 12 new people involved. I'm better at getting people interested (and I'm not a people person) than finding caches. The bottom line is that the word will get out and we may very well be able to excercise some clout. At least if the vocalness in these forums is any indicator.

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Oh, come on. icon_frown.gif Please get the _facts_ before posting such an alarmist topic complete with three (3) exclamation points. _If_ the federal legislators were to be so misguided and blindly ambitious in their pursuit, do you really think the states are going to stand by and allow federal government jurisdiction in State Parks on something as minor as this to go unchallenged?

Mr Traveler, I posted my original message to see if anyone else had any information ( comlete with 3 exclamtion marks) Doesn't it seem reasonable of me to ask if anyone else has heard any news of this. Please don't try to persocute me for nothing. It seems anytime I post anything here all I get in return is trouble. Why is this. I will find out the details, but until I do, please don't try and discredit me. All I was trying to do is find out> - The Real DesertRat

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Oh, come on. icon_frown.gif Please get the _facts_ before posting such an alarmist topic complete with three (3) exclamation points. _If_ the federal legislators were to be so misguided and blindly ambitious in their pursuit, do you really think the states are going to stand by and allow federal government jurisdiction in State Parks on something as minor as this to go unchallenged?

Mr Traveler, I posted my original message to see if anyone else had any information ( comlete with 3 exclamtion marks) Doesn't it seem reasonable of me to ask if anyone else has heard any news of this. Please don't try to persocute me for nothing. It seems anytime I post anything here all I get in return is trouble. Why is this. I will find out the details, but until I do, please don't try and discredit me. All I was trying to do is find out> - The Real DesertRat

quote:

...Please don't try to persocute me for nothing. It seems anytime I post anything here all I get in return is trouble. Why is this. I will find out the details, but until I do, please don't try and discredit me. All I was trying to do is find out> - The Real DesertRat

I'm sorry that my response was received as persecution. I was trying to point out (in a humorous way was my intent) the advisability of practicing restraint when one lacks hard facts. Perhaps it was just me, but when I first read the topic "New law against geocaching!!!" and this part of your original post:

quote:
My girlfriends father is a the park manager for this area's state parks, and I had told him about geocaching about 3 months ago. Today, he told me that they had informed him of a new law that was being passed forbidding geocaching in state parks, wildlife preserves, and even just plain BLM land. We saw most of this coming, but the BLM land is a little bit of overkill I think. Has anyone else heard anything about this?...
, it looked like you were announcing that a law was in the works, not inquiring whether the story you had heard was true. But then I realized that the concept of a federal law of such widesweeping effect aimed at such a small group of people to prohibit an activity with such minimal impact was so absurd, that I dismissed it as heresay.

Perhaps if you had introduced your topic with ??? instead of !!! I would have better understood your intent.

BTW, Are you on good terms with your girlfriend's father, or is he prone to jerking your chain? ;

Worldtraveler