Geocaching Classes $50.00.......Per Person!

Poindexter

Just came across an article in the Feb issue of Travel + Leisure magazine.

HIGH-TECH HIDE-AND-SEEK

Geocaching, the latest outdoor adventure game, promises loot at the end of a day's play. Using a Global Positioning System (GPS) unit, players search for a "cache," a weatherproof container filled with small trinkets and a logbook for the finder to sign and date. In order to keep the game going, players must replace the treasure they find with a cache of their own. (dang, Iv'e been doin it wrong!) Utah's Red Mountain Spa (www.redmountainspa.com ; $50 per person) offers five-hour introductory classes.

There's money to be made folks ;-) Here's the direct link if you want to take a look.

http://www.redmountainspa.com/outdoor/skills.html

Poindexter

Self-taught Geocacher

Five hours!?!? icon_confused.gif

What could they possibly teach you that couldn't be covered in 20 minutes or so?

Maybe they teach you how to respect the environment and protect the fragile poison ivy and such. Maybe they train you how to rat out other cachers who've hidden a cache in a place you think is illegal. Maybe they go over the best ways to tie surveyors ribbon around someone else’s cache to make it easier for the next hunter. icon_mad.gif

I’m not cynical, really I’m not. icon_wink.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I don't have a problem with the concept or the fee, if they can get it. But their attitude sucks.

"...loot at the end of a day's play"

"dang, Iv'e been doin it wrong!"

These aren't the people I want to see educating newbies, even if they were doing it for free.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

If you go to the actual resort page, http://www.redmountainspa.com/outdoor/skills_popups/geo.html , rather than just reading the little blurb in Travel & Leisure, there's no stupid jokes about "loot".

Not that I'm about to rush out and sign up for lessons, mind you.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I'll only charge $40! And if you act now, I'll also throw in a brand-new GPS receiver with every 10 classes purchased. Hurry while supplies last.

Cache prizes not included, your experience may vary, caches not guaranteed to be found or even there, tour guide assumes no responsibility for cuts, falls, sprained ankles, bee attacks, bear attacks, poison oak exposure, ranger arrests, bomb squad incidents, pinched fingers in ammo cans, wet cache contents, dead batteries, speeding tickets, acts of God, acts of nature, acts of mountain bikers, acts of property owners or selective availability.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

It's a type of massage. The rocks are heated and placed in specific locations. Something about balancing the chi or something. Never tried it myself.

This place sounds like a retreat for rich urban whiners, which is about the only group they're ever gonna get to pay $50 to learn how to use a GPS. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

...is about the strangest thing I've seen in a long time.

Why is this man having stones put on his back?!? icon_redface.gif

http://www.redmountainspa.com/spa/massage.html

-J

In my opinion, these type of classes will help introduce geocaching to those who would otherwise feel too intimidated.

Considering that people actually PAY people to set up their computers, I see no problem with a geocaching class.

I'd be curious to know what they actually teach during the 3.5 hours.

--CoronaKid

At the Rogue Community College in Grants Pass Oregon they offer a geocaching course. I would love to know what the users name is that is instructing the class and how many finds he has.

But yes, there are people that have a need to learn about a subject before attempting it. Whereas the majority of us plunked down some money for the unit and just wandered around the woods trying not to get lost.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

Upon reading the fine print, there's only an hour of classroom time and almost 3 hours of caching.

quote:
Classroom Activity: 1:00pm - 2:00pm

Field Activity: 2:10pm - 5:00pm

Since the spa is furnishing the GPS, this could be like one of those things where the visitors say "I've heard about this Geocaching thing, but I'm not sure if it's going to be much fun. Can I justify the cost of buying a GPS?" Forget the fact that a couple taking the class could spend the money and just buy themselves a GPS.

My take on it is that this could be a really great introduction, but the price is outrageous, especially considering that the minimum stay on the weekends is 3 nights at $239US per night. Instead, you could pay me a $100 fee, bring a tent and a sleeping bag and I'll go caching with you for the whole weekend - we're on our own for paying for camping locations.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by treemoss2:

Obviously this offer at such a resort means that geocaching has reached a state whereby it now goes mainstream. Too bad. It means geocaching has reached the pinnacle and will now be all downhill.

I disagree. At worst, there will be a surge of low-quality placements as people get all geeked about it for a few weeks then lose interest. How many people who learn to snorkel while at a resort continue to do so after the vacation is over?

This game isn't for everyone; I've explained it to avid outdoors people who use GPS already, and they still didn't see the point.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

I would not be geocaching now. If I can't learn this sport as I go, where's the fun. $50 can buy a lot of geostash, booty nuggets, trinkets. Someone is always in it for the money. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif It makes me want to throttle someone.

Cache you later,

Planet

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will

give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

Read the instruction book on your GPS, find out how to enter coords, push enter, get in car, drive, get out of car, follow arrow on GPS, find cache, get back in car, go home.

It takes five hours to teach people how to do that?

One good thing will come ouyt of this though. . . MORE CACHES FOR US TO FIND!

Happy. Hunting.

The geocaching course is $50 and the orienteering class (linked from the same page) is FREE??? This just doesn't seem right--orienteering takes more instruction and--arguably--more skills, but the same length class is free...

In fact, the ONLY one of the five classes that they charge for is geocaching!

icon_confused.gifHUH!?! icon_confused.gif

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Poindexter:

Just came across an article in the Feb issue of Travel + Leisure magazine.

HIGH-TECH HIDE-AND-SEEK

Geocaching, the latest outdoor adventure game, promises loot at the end of a day's play. Using a Global Positioning System (GPS) unit, players search for a "cache," a weatherproof container filled with small trinkets and a logbook for the finder to sign and date. In order to keep the game going, players must replace the treasure they find with a cache of their own. (dang, Iv'e been doin it wrong!) Utah's Red Mountain Spa (http://www.redmountainspa.com ; $50 per person) offers five-hour introductory classes.

There's money to be made folks ;-) Here's the direct link if you want to take a look.

http://www.redmountainspa.com/outdoor/skills.html

Poindexter

Self-taught Geocacher

Gads! If you're going to charge someone $50 bucks a pop, the least you can do is use a gps receiver with WAAS!

15-20 feet as compared with 3 to 5 feet of errror.

Sheesh!

Math seems simple to me.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

Hey, if they have the money to plunk down for a weekend get-a-way......they've got the money to put down for a class. Some people think GPS recievers area complicated.......some are intimadated by computers......heck,,,,some are confused by a simple slide rule.......(that was a joke there......lol) Anyway,,,,some people are ALWAYS more willing to pay to have someone show them how it works......Hmmmm, wonder how much I could get............

We're going on a treasure hunt...we're not quite sure just where...but our trusty GPS, we'll find a cache stashed there!!

By Daughter Cheryl

quote:
Originally posted by writer:

quote:
Instead, you could pay me a $100 fee, bring a tent and a sleeping bag and I'll go caching with you for the whole weekend - we're on our own for paying for http://www.koa.com/.

And are you providing the hot rocks for my back?

writer

For $100? Yeah, if you're joining me on a hunt that I'm going on anyway, and you don't waste my daylight, I'll throw a couple of rocks from the fire on your back if you want at the end of the day. icon_biggrin.gif

- Nate

www.geocky.org

quote:
Originally posted by hoys:

Yeah, if you're joining me on a hunt that I'm going on anyway, and you don't waste my daylight, I'll throw a couple of rocks from the fire on your back if you want at the end of the day.

You stop when the sun goes down? Heck, even my 11-year-old daughter hung in with me the other day on an urban hunt at 8pm in the low teens with a sharp wind coming off the river...

Well this shows you what is possible in this Country. Someone comes up with an idea and makes money.

More power to them. Why be jealous of them, they found a niche and will play on it.

I went and looked at their section on Cuisine, and that food is definately not a McD's bag lunch.

Maybe I'll have to see if we can do this at where I work. http://www.sylvandale.com/

I could get paid to take people to my Caches. icon_biggrin.gif

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

I wonder if they sell "pre-assembled" caches, to participants, at the end of the class for them to hide. icon_rolleyes.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Don't forget that there are some people in the world who can't just read about something and do it. Of course, this varies from person to person, but I know people who are amazed that I can sit down with a book and teach myself computer programming.

Every time I see one of those "adventure" 4x4s or Hummers driving tourists around out at Red Rock Canyon, I think "Hey, I'd do THAT for a living!"

I'm amazed that someone in Las Vegas has yet to offer Geocaching excursions.

$50 bucks doesn't sound so bad. There you are on vacation in Utah spending hundreds maybe thousands of dollars in some resort. what's another $50 bucks for a 1 hr training session and 2-3 hours guided hike into the canyonlands? Seems kinda nice especially if you know nothing about caching. People spend that kind of money for a tennis or golf lession.

Frankly if I was them, I'd make it $50 bucks for the plain tour and $100 for the cache tour on donkey. An we'll through in a box lunch to boot! icon_smile.gif

Alan

If some state Parks Systems get wind of this they will make it part of the permitting requirment. Can see it now " you are required to have x hours in a certifyed course that shows you can properly install the batteries in your GPS"

Team GEOARK1 Searching lighthouc.gif for the next CACHE

When I was younger, getting stoned was much different. To put things in perspective you can also waste your money on:

1. Cooking lessons when most recipies are written on the box.

2. Horseback ridding

3. Snorkling/Scuba

4. Golf Lessons

5. Tennis lessons

Personaly there were times I would have given $50 for information leading to my whereabouts as it relates to the cache or civilization for that matter.

Yes I have finds, yes I have hides and yes I'm a charter member. My wife will not let me use our account on the forums...don't know why.

Some people don't do things if it's not free. Some people thing something's better if they pay an exorbinant amount of money for it. Some people WANT to pay money to experience something. Some people like/need the hand-holding.

There are a lot of things many people can do/experience cheap or free but they'd rather pay for it because it makes them feel better that they did.

Opinions based on experiences with eTrex Vista...

never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

At the airport I can observe human stupidity in action. I once saw a man try and take a baggage cart with a big bag and his puppy in a crate down a escalator he was pushing it straight down before he could heed my cry of "Don't do it" his bag and dog had slid to the bottom.

His poor dog was terrified. I suggested to take the dog out a check on him, he said he was late for a plane and didn't have the time. At that point I told him that he could have avoided this if he had took the elevator which was right beside the escalators. He said something about not having time and took of his poor puppy still yelping in his cage uncomforted.

some people should not own animals icon_mad.gif

More to see, More to do