What can we do about vandals?

Guest scott

Especially the ones that are stupid enough to send an email bragging about it.

Take a peek at Asterix, cacheID=227, waypoint GCE3. Dan explains why the last few attempts have been unsuccessful.

Any suggestions?

-scott

tating since he won't return the original, you plan on replacing it with another and please don't steal this one (and don't post it on geocaching). He'll think your an idiot and head right back to get it, only to discover a container sealed with (your favorite nasty, disgusting, gross bodily fluids or other items). If you can figure a way to make them spill on him, even better icon_smile.gif

Matt

tating since he won't return the original, you plan on replacing it with another and please don't steal this one (and don't post it on geocaching). He'll think your an idiot and head right back to get it, only to discover a container sealed with (your favorite nasty, disgusting, gross bodily fluids or other items). If you can figure a way to make them spill on him, even better icon_smile.gif

Matt

I have found out that Hotmail accounts are not anonymous. What you can do is determine the IP address of the originator by viewing the headers in the message.

With this IP address you can contact their ISP and let them know of their "criminal activity." Many companies have 0 tolerance policies and will shut off their account. I bet you that this was a kid and his father/mother would be none too happy to find their account shut off.

You can also contact hotmail and attach the email message (and headers) of the individual who is using their service. You can state that it was "stolen" from you and they should shut off the account if given sufficient proof.

Let me know if you want more info. I wouldn't suggest lowering yourself to this guy's level. He's probably just a dumb kid who's bored because his parents don't love him.

Jeremy

Guest Captain Leno

Making a Cache to throw Nasty-ness on a Vandal really would'nt be that hard..

I used to make Paint-Ball Landmines out of...... I better keep that a secret, would'nt want an unsuspecting hunter to find it by accident icon_smile.gif

Guest Captain Leno

Making a Cache to throw Nasty-ness on a Vandal really would'nt be that hard..

I used to make Paint-Ball Landmines out of...... I better keep that a secret, would'nt want an unsuspecting hunter to find it by accident icon_smile.gif

Guys, remember ... in most areas, it only takes one tv news story or newspaper article to make geocaching "the latest thing". It also only takes one article about someone being blasted by a geocache to kill the sport for everyone. Fantasize, but don't piss anyone off! icon_smile.gif

Scott

Guys, remember ... in most areas, it only takes one tv news story or newspaper article to make geocaching "the latest thing". It also only takes one article about someone being blasted by a geocache to kill the sport for everyone. Fantasize, but don't piss anyone off! icon_smile.gif

Scott

i think that the best thing for detering it is to make the cashe hard to find. Where someone has to look somewhat for it. Then you will cut down the # of vandals because they will not spend the time or effort in looking for it. But hey thats just my idea.....

Guest Lasivian

I agree with Gary, none of my caches have been in plain view at all.

In fact i'm working on an idea to "implant" a pint paint can inside a fake stone made out of concrete so it would blend well in an urban environment, (yes, I know, I have far too much time on my hands, heh)

------------------

Lasivian@usa.net - ICQ 3619356 - www.fastq.com/~lasivian

Guest Captain Leno

I think I have found a Solution I think...

I took a NEW plastic 5 gallon bucket, turned it upside down, and with the help of a little expansion foam (insulation in a can) and some Krylon Camo Paint, and some other Camo stuff from the sporting good store, and a little imagination...

And I got INSTANT TREE STUMP !!!!!

It really looks GOOD !!!!

I believe when I set this thing out in the woods, in a tree row, or brush pile and then put the CACHE underneath it.. It is gonna be a DANDY to find !!!

It kinda looks like a Disney Land tree stump...

And if the Geocacher knows to look for the tree stump, they will find it, but the passerbye is not gonna walk up the side of a hill, or down in the gully to just to get a close look at a tree stump are they ???

PS it was also LOTS of fun just making this thing look as REAL as possible......

Guest WrongWay

quote:
INSTANT TREE STUMP !!!!!

Could I get one in 44 long ? I want to...oh never mind...

Actually that's a great idea. Lasivian, you could make lots of little pint size rock caches with that stuff.

Guest Captain Leno

I will work on getting the Pics up on the net...

I have been a HOBBY-NUT for years...

I messed around with Model RRing (trains) and now I am also an AVID R.C. Pilot...

Married, 35 yrs old, no kids, and a 6 figure income..

I am in that contest, you know, "the one with the most toy's wins" currently I am 14th in the "Middle Class" but plan on winning !! icon_smile.gif

I will get a Mini-Web-site up soon showing this thing off... It REALLY LOOKS GOOD !!!

And the ROCK idea would be VERY SIMPLE !!!!

Guest Captain Leno

I will work on getting the Pics up on the net...

I have been a HOBBY-NUT for years...

I messed around with Model RRing (trains) and now I am also an AVID R.C. Pilot...

Married, 35 yrs old, no kids, and a 6 figure income..

I am in that contest, you know, "the one with the most toy's wins" currently I am 14th in the "Middle Class" but plan on winning !! icon_smile.gif

I will get a Mini-Web-site up soon showing this thing off... It REALLY LOOKS GOOD !!!

And the ROCK idea would be VERY SIMPLE !!!!

Guest Captain Leno

I'd say that if you took, like a Cool Whip container, or Ice Cream bucket (gallon size)

And a couple of cans of foam....

Turn the bucket upside down on some WAX paper then just start covering the thing with this foam !!!

After you have it covered, take a Paint Scrapper or trowel of some sort and Customize it !!!

Make it look like a ROCK !!!!

You DO NOT have to be too detailed !!!!

The Paint does WONDERS, just be sure to use FLAT EXTERIOR...

Then when you are done... Epoxy a few Coat Hanger wires (cut and bent straight) to the inside sticking down...

or hide some weight under the foam..

Something to keep it from blowing away...

I may work on this CONCEPT TONIGHT...

Oh, it's valentines day... I will work on something ELSE tonight, then try the ROCK tommorrow icon_smile.gif.....

I will keep you informed of the INSTANT HUMAS (FOLAGE) concept......

Guest Captain Leno

I'd say that if you took, like a Cool Whip container, or Ice Cream bucket (gallon size)

And a couple of cans of foam....

Turn the bucket upside down on some WAX paper then just start covering the thing with this foam !!!

After you have it covered, take a Paint Scrapper or trowel of some sort and Customize it !!!

Make it look like a ROCK !!!!

You DO NOT have to be too detailed !!!!

The Paint does WONDERS, just be sure to use FLAT EXTERIOR...

Then when you are done... Epoxy a few Coat Hanger wires (cut and bent straight) to the inside sticking down...

or hide some weight under the foam..

Something to keep it from blowing away...

I may work on this CONCEPT TONIGHT...

Oh, it's valentines day... I will work on something ELSE tonight, then try the ROCK tommorrow icon_smile.gif.....

I will keep you informed of the INSTANT HUMAS (FOLAGE) concept......

Guest Nostromo

Ok, you guys with the fake stuff have inspired me. With all the pastures and cattle farms in my area, I am going to make a fake cow-pie. Who's going to pick one of those baby's up at random?

Guest Richard Amirault

"Instant Stump"!! Great idea!

Hhowever, I'm wondering how well (or how poor) it will look after a few weeks or months out in the elements. Will is still be as *convincing*? or will it be easy to see as something artificial?

Richard in Boston

Guest Captain Leno

There is only one way to find out....

I actually set the Prototype out in the Backyard to see the element effect...

And since I covered the WHOLE THING in epoxy paint, I am sure it will fair well..

I am doing this study closely.....

Guest Captain Leno

TREE STUMP UP-DATE !!!

O.K. Folks...

These things are BETTER than EVER IMAGINED !!!

My concern is, I really don't think, unless I tell, that anyone is gonna be able to spot these !!!!!!

I have 3 now, and one that even has Tree Mushrooms growing out of the side of it !!!!!

I made one Micro-Stump out of a Coffee Can and it looks more like a Stump than a Stump does !!!!!!!

Should I or Should'nt I tell prospective CACHERS about the stump ???

Is the object to locate with GPS and just keep it hidden from innicent passerbye's ?

Or is to make it a CHALENGE even after the Cacher has done his Navigational Work ???

THESE THING LOOK REAL !!!!!

Give me some input here... PLEASE

I am NEW to this hobby, and have FELL IN LOVE with it !!!

I need some guidance, because I am coming up with ALL KINDS OF IDEAS to stash !!!

Tell them its in a fake stump. If we play this game right our GPS will get us within 10metres (30 feet), from there it should not be difficult.

Conversly, I don't think you should be saying "take x road to the carpark at y, then walk 200 metres to the spot". That is what is what we should be using our GPS, maps and brains to work out.