The Joys of Duct Tape

Bilder

Duct tape is quite possibly the most versitile item you can carry.

The cache you are at need some repair? Tape it!

Backpack ripped? Tape it!

Battery cover broken? Tape it!

Glasses broken? Tape it!

Bleeding? Tape it!

Broken bones? Tape it!

Button missing? Pants falling down? Tape it!

I have even seen duct tape used to patch holes in a boat!

You can even use duct tape as a make shift log book. Ever get to a cache and find the log book full or soggy? Take a length of duct tape and place it on the inside cover of the cache and sign in.

I always carry a roll in my pack. If space or weight is a concern, you can take a pencil and wrap some around it. You can do the same with your hiking stick.

I could go on and on about the uses for duct tape. It is the best couple dollars you could ever spend on gear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Forums were funny all morning and now I see that I posted this thing several times.

At least the message is getting out. icon_wink.gif

Mods can delete the duplicates please.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Well Alaska is the duct tape capital of the world. We buy more of the stuff than anywhere else.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Bilder you sound sort of like McGyver icon_razz.gificon_smile.gif[There is more than one way to skin a ????]Originally posted by Bilder:

Duct tape is quite possibly the most versitile item you can carry.

The cache you are at need some repair? Tape it!

Backpack ripped? Tape it!

Battery cover broken? Tape it!

Glasses broken? Tape it!

Bleeding? Tape it!

Broken bones? Tape it!

Button missing? Pants falling down? Tape it!

I have even seen duct tape used to patch holes in a boat!

You can even use duct tape as a make shift log book. Ever get to a cache and find the log book full or soggy? Take a length of duct tape and place it on the inside cover of the cache and sign in.

I always carry a roll in my pack. If space or weight is a concern, you can take a pencil and wrap some around it. You can do the same with your hiking stick.

I could go on and on about the uses for duct tape. It is the best couple dollars you could ever spend on gear.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Did you know that doctors can use duct tape too??

Yep... but not to fix broken bones or joints, a small amount put over skin warts and changed every couple of days will help to get rid of the warts...

Please don't try this on genital warts!! icon_eek.gif

P.S. Love the duct tape wallet!

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

It can also be used to patch up bear wounds.

umm ohh wait you posted that here already. Umm never mind. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bilder,I forwarded your link on that article th the duct tape guys.com. They loved it. icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Those duct tape wallets would make nice signature items for someone who has the time to make them.

I have about 15 feet of duct tape rolled around each of my hiking poles, so I'm ready for anything.

I also always keep a roll in my car and 4 or 5 around the house.

Another use, if you're getting blisters on a long hike and don't have moleskin, use duct tape.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

Well now...along with the duct tape you have to have WD40. These are essential tools of survival for all men.

If it moves and you don't want it to...duct tape it.

If it won't move and you want it to...WD40 it.

I prefer silicone spray... works just as well without the grease.

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

I alway have duct tape. I also alway carry heavy, clear packing tape. Instantly laminate the coords for your multi caches in the field. Works great every time.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by btouch:

And once you have a roll of duct tape you can make one of http://www.3m.com/intl/CA/english/centres/home_leisure/duct_tape/dt_wallet.html to keep all that cash you've saved on repair bills in.

Oooh man! If you only knew how much Christmas shopping you just saved me from!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

CYBret's Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

Well Alaska is the duct tape capital of the world. We buy more of the stuff than anywhere else.

?? Is that more duct tape per person or more cases (truck load, freight car load...) than the other 49 states. Either way...Attaway to go, Alaska. STICK ON. There is a roll of duct tape as a trade item in one of my caches at this moment!!!

The luggage company I work for has used duct tape in the manufacturing process for years!

Bob ~

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

The only thing Duct Tape sucks at is anything resembling a duct.

How many openings? Let me count the ways.....

I knew a girl named Joy once, but that duct tape story is for a private thread. She was a real sport though.

Seriously though, all of my Veet Voogagig caches (2 so far) are wrapped in duct tape and covered with scribbles from a sharpy to make them look like an alien planet. It actually makes a pretty good camo on a cache when covered by a few sticks.

The duct tape wallets are kewl.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Take an old credit card and wrap duct tape around it lengthwise.

Hand this credit card to better half and tell her to "go shopping with this". Use the remaining duct tape as a sling to hold broken arm while healing!

Bob ~

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

quote:
Originally posted by RainbowCache:

Is that more duct tape per person or more cases (truck load, freight car load...) than the other 49 states. Either way...Attaway to go, Alaska.

The Walmart in Wasilla, Alaska sold more duct tape than any other Walmart store. Here's the story.

Strange coincidence...check out the date line on this article, which has been discussed in these forums.

Eamus Catuli!

ChiTown Cachers * Keenpeople.com Stats

quote:
Originally posted by shuccrum:

Once I flew on a small commuter plane. I decided never to fly that particular airlines again when I noticed that someone had duct- taped the window in. Made me wonder what else was being held in by duct tape.

Being in/from Texas you would probably appreciate a movie called Fandango It was different than just about any other movie I've seen and a lot of it was shot in Texas. There as a scene in there sort of like what you saw (except it was actually the exterior of the plane)

quote:

Someone posted a great way to carry duct tape here about a year ago.

Take an old credit card and wrap duct tape around it lengthwise (same width). I carry several yards of it this way and it takes up no room in my pack.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned it.

Very clever - I like it.

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

quote:

Someone posted a great way to carry duct tape here about a year ago.

Take an old credit card and wrap duct tape around it lengthwise (same width). I carry several yards of it this way and it takes up no room in my pack.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned it.

Very clever - I like it.

You don't need to wrap it around anything. Just fold about a three inch length back on itself and keep rolling. When you get to about the size of a cassette tape you have plenty for any emergency use.

Get the 2 or 3 inch width instead of the common 1.5 inch gray.

Another handy product is gaffers tape.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

Funny as it is/was : not recommended for use as a ponytail tie.

True story, went benchmark hunting with my wife and her 14 year old sister. They of course have to squabble over who gets the front seat, with the younger sister winning by racing back to the van 1st. Despite threats and pleads, she holds fast to the coveted shotgun seat. Though an adult mom-of-one, my wife resorts to revenge. She affixes 4" of extremely warm duct tape to her younger sisters exposed pony tail, and SQUEEZES it into place for good measure. 20 minutes and a lot of squealing later, the tape and quite a few red hairs were loose.

I will not describe the slap mayhem that took place after that. Women, can't take em' anywhere.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

Did you know that doctors can use duct tape too??

Yep... but not to fix broken bones or joints, a small amount put over skin warts and changed every couple of days will help to get rid of the warts...

I'll give this a shot. Do they apply the tape directly, or do they add some Compound W?

George

I had a friend who used to race cars, duct tape was THE tool. His sneakers were mostly duct tape. Also, shoelaces. Once during a yellow flag, he stopped his car and got out and it looked like he was tying his shoe by the front of the car, I asked him later what that was all about and he said he had borken a tie rod and was tying it back up with his laces. He did qualify!

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/10/14/health/main525523.shtml

Cool. I've got a new wart on my back that is driving me nuts. I'll let you know if a few weeks how the tape therapy works.

George

Well, it's been one week since I've been doing the duct tape therapy. The wart isn't gone, but it has decreased in size considerably. I'd say about 50% or a little more. I've been trying to erradicate this thing for several months, and this treatment seems the most effective so far. Don't ask me why.

The downside is the duct tape itself is starting to irritate my skin, so I'll have to lay off of it for a little while.

George

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

I think the article said it was supposed to irritate.

It could be, but the skin irritation just started to occur in the last day. I'm not sure why. I'm certainly using more tape than I need to, so using a smaller patch might be the trick.

I really wonder why this might be working. Something in the adhesive? Being covered with something waterproof? Starving the wart of air?

Perhaps the air-tight covering prevents the wart cells from toughening up, allowing your immune system to attack those cells easier.

In any case, I'm impressed so far. It sure seems to beat burning/freezing them off or using Compound W.

George

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

Another use for Duct tape:

Holding an eTrex together.

]

There's a piece on mine right now holding the rubber button cover on (it split at the top). BTW does anyone know how I can buy a new one(button cover)? My Vista is out of warranty - I e-mailed Garmin to ask if I could buy a replacement cover and they said all I could do was send my GPS in in for servicing and they would replace it at that time. (minimum general service charge / shipping etc...)

I am also another who swears by the wart removal properties of DT - the only thing that worked for me.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.