Is This Rude?

I live in the most beautiful place in the whole world! icon_biggrin.gif

That said, many tourists and travelers pass through this area, either to visit here or on their way elsewhere.

In the past month we have had two groups of people come to this area and place caches in close proximaty to one of our caches. One of the caches is practically across the street from ours and the latest one is within a half-mile, along the same trail.

The closeness doesn't really bother me, but what does upset me is that neither of these groups bothered to LOOK for our cache! It is almost as though they are/were unaware of its existance.

Maybe it is just me, but when I find out that cachers come to this area to cache-hunt and they walk or drive right past one of my caches, I get frustrated. Maybe it is just the long winter of near cache-inactivity on the part of anyone around here but us that makes me curious.

A small point of bother: these folks couldn't have done any research at all into the area in which they were placing the cache. They just slapped it there and left town. "Well, I happen to be here, so I'll just leave this box of trinkets!" Who will maintain them? One of the groups lives in Illinois (I'm in No. Cal.) and the others live at least 100 miles from where they placed the cache.

Do any of you get upset when you know that cachers have been in the area and didn't hit some of your caches that you know were right along their way?

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

I understand how you feel, I live in the immediate area of Disney World and I am starting to see more people coming here for vacation and placing caches on Disney property. Igonoring the fact that this is private property, I'm frustrated with the fact that there are plenty of caches in the area these people could go to. Giving them the chance tho see that there is life outside of Disney World.

I have a trip to Las Vegas this fall and am planning on taking a day to go Geocaching, going to caches that are outside of the Las Vegas strip area.

Well, I'm just a Noob, but I believe that if you can't maintain the cache - including verifying it's existance from time to time - you should make it virtual. I've already seen several listed that the placer said: "Just passing through, stuffed a bunch of junk in a zip-lock bag and hid it - good luck". Boy, that makes me REAL excited to go search for someones discarded trash. icon_rolleyes.gif

I would e-mail the placer and ask if you could recover it for them and have them archive it. Nicely of course. icon_wink.gif

I agree, that you shouldn't place a cache if you can't maintain it, and you should check for caches in the area before placing one.

That said, maybe Jeremy would be kind enough to mention this point somewhere prominent on the website for people to see BEFORE the 4th of July weekend gives us all a flood of these Traches .

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

they may have not done any research into the area at all as you suggest, and having said that its not wonder they didnt visit your cache.

as for the caches, they seem to have been "dumped", sorta. i think you should email the placers and vounteer to be the care taker of these caches since they are very close to you anyways. or if the caches bother you or you have visited them and desided they are poorly placed you should email the cache placers and tell them your objecttions(its to close to mine, its in a bad place, it will eventally because damaged and lost due to lack of maintance, etc etc) and ask if they would please archive it, and if they agree you could remove it.

whack.gif

I would like to point out that one of the caches I have mentioned we visited and it was very well hidden, BUT it was placed very close to private property where there is a shooting range and in our log I mentioned that, so I hope other folks who plan to visit that cache will take note, especially in regard to parking and where to start their search.

The second mentioned cache we haven't gone in search of yet, so I cannot comment on its placement or condition. I was so agitated when I saw where it was placed that I waited two days before I even wrote my initial post on this thread, no less going hunting for it. We may go hunting for it today (last day of school - whoopie...) and it is Steak's day off, but I'll leave it up to him as I'm supposed to be putting my nose to the grindstone...

I will offer to maintain them - I WON'T request that they be removed as I DO encourage cache placement and will do nothing like that to discourage a new cacher, unless they set a cache within yards or less of mine without acknowledging that cache.

I will also point out that before I began this thread I emailed the placer and asked why they visited the area long enough to place a cache but not long enough to visit the other two caches within walking distance. I have received no response, so far.

I have seen that also in the LA area. Not necessarily near mine, as I only have two, but near others that I have visited. One was just a water bottle without a log or a pen when it started. The description said that 'we were visiting the area from the other side of the country and dropped this off, could the first visitor bring something for a log?'

I have no personal investment in this area, so it doesn't bother me, but maybe a general rule could limit this type of cache.

I'm sure there are technical issues that I have not thought of, but how about as some initial suggestions only allowing caches placed within x miles of the placers home? How about within x miles of another cache by the same placer? How about x being variable with the amount of finds per cacher? A combination of these ideas? How about if not strictly forbidding these, at least a warning comes up when they exceed x miles explaining the value of cache maintenence to the quality of the game?

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

"I will offer to maintain them - I WON'T request that they be removed as I DO encourage cache placement and will do nothing like that to discourage a new cacher, unless they set a cache within yards or less of mine without acknowledging that cache."

that is what i said, right?

"I will also point out that before I began this thread I emailed the placer and asked why they visited the area long enough to place a cache but not long enough to visit the other two caches within walking distance. I have received no response, so far."

so both caches were placed by one cacher?

i would be interested in their reply, if your willing to post.

welch

whack.gif

quote:
I'm sure there are technical issues that I have not thought of, but how about as some initial suggestions only allowing caches placed within x miles of the placers home? How about within x miles of another cache by the same placer? How about x being variable with the amount of finds per cacher? A combination of these ideas? How about if not strictly forbidding these, at least a warning comes up when they exceed x miles explaining the value of cache maintenence to the quality of the game?

I'd go for the warning rather than a ban. I live in Kansas but I visit places like Ohio and Minnesota several times a year, often enough that if I placed caches in either of those states (which I haven't) I'd be able to check up on them as often as I check up on my own local caches.

Plus, if someone places a cache on vacation and then comes home and discovers the system won't let them post it, then we are left with a baggie of junk sitting in a park somewhere that nobody knows about and no one can go do something about.

One of the definitions of RUDE...

Lacking education or knowledge; unlearned.

Using that definition I'd say they were rude because they probably had no idea that there were other caches nearby. Probably struck by the beauty of the surrondings and made a quick cache without doing any planning.

Whats funny about this thread is a year ago people were begging other geocachers to come to their area of the country and hide caches. They were even offering to reciprocate if anyone did visit and hide a cache. Our sport/game/frolic is rapidly maturing.

--- yrium ---

I've had a similar experience where a Geocacher, just driving through the area, dumped a cache on the side of the road in a provicial park. Not much thought went into placing this cache. I to do not want to disuade people from placing caches.

Has anyone developed a code of conduct for Geocaching. Something a person would read when first registering, or each time they hid a cache.

example:

1. Don't place a cache on private property unless you have explicit permission.

2. Be prepared or able to maintain your cache at least once a month. Check on the cache periodically.

3. Place a cache with regard to surrounding plants, animals and people. Don't place a cache where people visiting it could harm sensitive plants or disturb animals.

4. When trading at a cache find, and you take something, leave something of similar value.

5. etc, etc.

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

I have placed caches while on vacation without looking for other caches in the area. The first one I did research on and know there were no others even close to it. The second one was placed at the last minute so to speak and I have no idea if another is close. Both caches have people that can look after them for me.

With 20,000+ caches out there.....they are going to start stacking on top of each other. There seems to be such a small area to hide them in.

Speaking as a person that has 7 caches hidden...I wonder if maybe some of the older caches I have should be archived to open the area for new cachers and caches?

El Diablo icon_cool.gif

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

Speaking as a person that has 7 caches hidden...I wonder if maybe some of the older caches I have should be archived to open the area for new cachers and caches?

NO. Don't archive them just because they are old! We have picked up caches that were a year old or more since we started, and they were often some of the best we've done! Just do the maintenance. If you can't, ask for help, or maybe then consider archiving something; but ONLY then! There is one near us that was placed by two people who have had no activity in a year or more, and it's one of the neatest (and least known) places in the area. I plan to continue to watch it indefinitely to make sure it has positive logs and plenty of loot, even if the originators are no longer around.

Candy

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

Candy I agree with you that some of the older caches are the best. However back then we had the whole world to place a cache in. The newbies coming in today want to place caches and can't find an area that dosen't have one already there.

This leads to them placing lame caches in areas that they are likely to be vandalized. I have a cache that has been out there for a year with a gabillion hits on it..it's considered one of the most fun to hunt in the area....but maybe it needs to give way for another fun cache.

This is all just sort of thinking out loud.....or in print if you will. I hear so much about the increase of easy or lame caches and I wonder if maybe we haven't left the newbies a choice?

El Diablo

I've placed my caches in parks where I live where no one else had cache. Right afterwards, I noticed how I took on a possessiveness about "my" parks as if I owned them. Seems kind of silly when you think about it. Who gives anyone ownership of a park? Or a geographic location. (Central Park in NY where I don't have a cache has over 15 by others in an area 1/2 by 2 1/2 miles) So what if some one finds two caches close together, he might think that's great and get both of them concurrently. If he/she feels "offended" by that idea he/she could go after one of them and forget the other. What's the big deal? Sounds like an ego trip with nothing to do with geocaching.

Maybe I'm missing something here. If I am would some one clue me in.

Alan

Red's going to hate me for this, but I'm thinking a half mile is far enough apart not to get her knickers in a twist.

The cache she found that was literally a stones throw away is another story.

This happened to me once, I placed a cache in a local park without having brought a current listings of caches.

The difference was my attitude.

I planned on retrieving the cache if it was revealed later that it's proximity to another cache was closer than I was comfortable with.

It turns out that someone already had a cache about a third of a mile from where mine was, but that was a multicache.

*BEFORE* submitting my cache information to geocaching.com I fired off an email to that cache owner asking for his opinion on the matter. I made it really clear that I'd be happy to return-n-retrieve my cache if he had even the slightest reservations about it's location.

He greenlighted my cache and said something along the line of "It'll give me something to hunt when I check on mine". I submitted the information and the world has been in a state of bliss ever since.

quote:
Originally posted by boreal jeff:

Has anyone developed a code of conduct for Geocaching. Something a person would read when first registering, or each time they hid a cache.

2. Be prepared or able to maintain your cache at least once a month. Check on the cache periodically.

Periodically checking up on your caches to do maintenance is very important, but I don't think you can put a set time on it.

I've got one cache that I've needed to go check on almost weekly since I placed it due to the large numer of visitors.

But I'm planing a series of three next weekend that .. I'll be very surprised if they get more than a few visitors a year, even when this sport REALLY goes gangbusters. Nobody's gonna find these that's not a hardcore geocacher. I might go check up on them next year, or if not the year after, but probably not sooner.

My rule of thumb is, check the cache after the first three visitors, then every five visitors after that.

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I have placed caches while on vacation without looking for other caches in the area. The first one I did research on and know there were no others even close to it. The second one was placed at the last minute so to speak and I have no idea if another is close. Both caches have people that can look after them for me.

Can't say I'm a big fan of this method. Local cachers are going to have more familiarity with an area to know the best spots to plant a cache.

Visitors should be hunting caches as a means of being introduced to these secret areas by the local cachers, not hiding caches in order to introduce the locals to ho-hum areas they already know about.

Plus, if I'm going to babysit a cache, then darn-it, it's gonna be one I planted or a good one planted by another local who is unable to continue to look after it, not one tossed out the window by a vacationer passing through with no interest in hunting the caches already here.

Well Skydiver. First of all this wasn't a cache that was tossed out of the window. If I can't place quality caches....I don't place them at all...and I'm positive that all the local cachers in my area of Greensboro, NC will back that statement up.

Second...I'm more of a hider than a seeker. Also before I place a cache that is not in my control...I make sure that it is in someone elses control to look after it.

Third...I feel no obligation to hunt for a local cache while I'm visiting. Not that I haven't.

I could go on to the 4th,5th and 6th...but it would start to get boring icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

Well you can look at it as "someone left one close for me to find".

Most of us will adopt an out of towners cache. I've had a couple of my out of town caches adopted and I appreciate it.

I do understand your frustration at them not looking for you cache though. I enjoy those little e-mails you get whens someone logs your cache.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

First ofall I'm going to knock a rule.

"one should not place caches if one can not maintain it"

On the surface this is a good idea. On the other hand, it's bunk because there are a lot of good areas deserving of a cache that are not close to a geocacher who can maintain it regularly. Further the further out in the bush the cache is the less maintainence it actually needs.

To answer the original question.

Was it rude to place a cache so close? No, they probably had good intentions, and may not have thought of leaving a cache until they actually did. Odds are they were just ignorant of your cache.

I've never figured out a good answer to the how close is too close question. There are times when I wish all the caches I do were closer together.

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

One of the groups lives in Illinois (I'm in No. Cal.) and the others live at least 100 miles from where they placed the cache.

I just searched near your caches and while I found the reference to the cachers from 100 miles away, I can't seem to find anything placed near your caches by anyone from Illinois. I don't doubt there are caches near yours, and perhaps this other one has been archived already, but being from Illinois myself I was wondering who would do something like this. Just curious if it was archived, the search tools are broken, or if this was a mistake?

------------------------------------------------

I'm sure there are technical issues that I have not thought of, but how about as some initial suggestions only allowing caches placed within x miles of the placers home? How about within x miles of another cache by the same placer? How about x being variable with the amount of finds per cacher? A combination of these ideas?

-------------------------------------------------

Catch all rules like this aren't a good idea. I live in NJ, but frequent Vt and plan on placing a cache there soon. Your rule would prevent my doing this, despite the fact that I visit there often and can maintain it.

As far as caches in close proximity to each other...I have two caches in a local swamp. They are physically less than .1 mile from each other, but there is a deep, fast moving river and some swampland between them. Unless one has the presence of mind to bring a raft and chest waders, the only realistic way of getting from one cache to the other is to hop in the car and drive about 5-6 miles. A rule like the one you propose would have prevented my placing one of these caches.

I recently planted a cache in Florida on a visit to a relative who will maintain the cache.

Regarding two caches close to one another, rather than having more people visit your "one" had there only been one, I think having two in proximity will attract more cachers to both as it's a quick and easy way to pick up an extra cache. I think lots of cachers look for caches that are geographically close to one another during a day's "hunt". Others agree?

Plus, your cache won't die of "loneliness" by having a "mate" - pun intended.

Alan

I usually try to pick two that are close and knock them out together. One lesson I learned is that even though they are only 1 inch apart on the map, they could be very far apart and separated by a cliff making them anything but on the same hike. icon_eek.gif

One way I further verify their proximity is in the logs. People usually mention that they just came from soandso cache and decided to get this one also.

stealyourcache.jpg

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

First ofall I'm going to knock a rule.

"one should not place caches if one can not maintain it"

On the surface this is a good idea. On the other hand, it's bunk because there are a lot of good areas deserving of a cache that are not close to a geocacher who can maintain it regularly. Further the further out in the bush the cache is the less maintainence it actually needs.

I totally agree that the more remote a cache is, the less maintenance it requires. But that doesn't excuse the placer the responsibility of maintaining it. If a cache only gets a couple visitors a year, then it may only require maintenance once every year or two.

And, if there are no geocachers close enough to the location to maintain a cache there regularly ... then it must be pretty remote and not get a lot of visitors (see above paragraph).

So, I still say .. if you can't maintain the cache, don't place it. But by "maintain", I don't mean visit it every week or month. I define maintenance as checking on the cache every 3 - 5 visitors, and being available to confirm the caches existence in a reasonably timely manner (based on how often it gets visitors), if it gets a couple no finds in a row.

The 3-5 visitor rule means that I'm checking up on one of my caches once or twice a week, while another will be more like once or twice a year at the rate it's going.

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

...The 3-5 visitor rule means that I'm checking up on one of my caches once or twice a week, while another will be more like once or twice a year at the rate it's going.

I respect your maintenance schedule but I don't understand why you need to check your cache every 3-5 visitors. Unless you are picking up from the logs on the web page that there's a problem, what's to maintain? Also, if no one's been there for awhile, why check? If it's been stolen you'll know about it pretty soon from the logs.

I guess what I'm saying is if the logs appear upbeat, happy and no problems indicated, why go there to check?

What am I missing?

alan

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

Do any of you get upset when you know that cachers have been in the area and didn't hit some of your caches that you know were right along their way?

In response to your question. No. I don't get upset if someone doesn't visit my caches. There are many different types of geocachers out there and my caches don't appeal to everyone.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you enjoy it when people visit your caches. If this is the case, you should send these out-of-town cache-hiders a thank you note! By creating twofer or threefer, it will increase the chance that others from out of town (say Roseville, or Rocklin, or Sacramento) will get the urge to make a road trip up there.

Personally I like the opportunity to park the car and do some hiking and hunt a couple caches versus park car, find cache, drive car, park car, find cache. Or in other words, if I'm comparing two locations for a weekend cache hunting trip, I'm more likely to go for the location that allows me to park the car once.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

I respect your maintenance schedule but I don't understand why you need to check your cache every 3-5 visitors. Unless you are picking up from the logs on the web page that there's a problem, what's to maintain? Also, if no one's been there for awhile, why check? If it's been stolen you'll know about it pretty soon from the logs.

I guess what I'm saying is if the logs appear upbeat, happy and no problems indicated, why go there to check?

What am I missing?

Excellent question! Obviously if the visitors are mentioning some problem, then I would want to go check the cache ASAP. However, let me give a short list of actual problems I've found with my own caches that weren't mentioned in the logs.

A. The cache was not hidden nearly as well as I had originally hidden it, leaving it subject to possible discovery by non cachers.

B. A 'geocacher' had stuffed the cache with advertising brochures which I obviously removed.

C. A Travel Bug had appeard in the cache that hadn't been logged by anyone. I had to figure out who dropped it, and get it properly logged.

D. Several visitors had written travel bug tracking numbers in the physical log which I needed to scratch out so that they couldn't be abused by people who didn't actually find the bug.

I'm sure the next time I visit my caches, I'll discover something new that needs to be 'fixed'. So my answer is, you never know what you're going to find, but just because nobody's logged a problem online, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Now, I may certainly find with time that my schedule is too aggresive and can easily be scaled back. But I'd rather be too aggressive than too casual. And I will always stand by my belief that if you plant a cache without the intention of checking up on it with some sort of regularlarity, then you're doing nothing more than glorified littering.

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

quote:

And I will always stand by my belief that if you plant a cache without the intention of checking up on it with some sort of regularlarity, then you're doing nothing more than glorified littering.

Ouch! icon_frown.gif

Alan

quote:

And I will always stand by my belief that if you plant a cache without the intention of checking up on it with some sort of regularlarity, then you're doing nothing more than glorified littering.

I guess people who hide time capsules must just make you sick! icon_wink.gif

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

My husband and I are new to geocaching but we have enjoyed finding close proximity caches. When we plan a cache finding day, we usually look for those that are nearest to each other and try to hit three or so in one trip. It allows us to more fully explore an area without having to drive for miles between caches.

When we placed our first two caches, we placed them in an area within 1 3/4 miles of each other because we thought if the people were out hunting caches in those hills, they might want to hit more than one while there. We had to move our first placement as we were told it fell within a 100 feet of Lake Mead National Recreational Area (which we didn't know because there is another cache placed further into the area by a couple of miles and no one vetoed that one) so it ended up a little closer to the second than we had planned. We didn't think our proximity of a few miles to another cache owner's placement would be a problem.

Here in the Las Vegas area there are a lot of caches. There are some we have found that appear to be neglected as well as some whose owners check on them frequently. We deliberately placed our caches near where we live so we could check on them. One that we found appears to have been placed by someone from out of state who left a camera and a stamped envelope to mail the camera home when it was full. I don't know if some local is watching the cache or not on behalf of the out of state owner. In a high tourist draw area, this probably happens a lot. While we all appreciate the caches, maintenance should be arranged. One other thing that Red might consider to cut the placers a little slack is that when traveling, most of us won't have access to the web site to check for caches in the area if this was a spur of the moment decision on their part. It's not rude as much as thoughtless and unplanned because it means that someone else has to watch out for it or just let it be neglected. On the other hand, maybe they did arrange for a guardian or plan to come back...we don't know.

One thing that does bug me is finding caches that are mostly empty and or full of what appears to be well-used junk. It indicates to me that people are taking out and not putting back in. We always bring a backpack full of new, packaged items to leave in caches like that to flesh out the contents for the next person, even if we take nothing out ourselves. And please, don't leave religious tracts or solicitations in caches. It's so tacky. We have also found a lot of drug company freebies in caches, like stuffed noses stamped with the name of a drug on them. I'm not sure what anyone would want that for but at least put things like that in a ziplock or plastic bag as things rapidly become very dirty from handling and dust in outdoor areas and then no one will want to take it except to throw it away. Especially here in the desert areas. And please don't leave stickers in desert area caches unless they are sealed in packaging as the heat here causes them to come loose from their sheets and they end up all over the cache and get ruined, so it's a waste of your effort.

We do appreciate all the caches people leave for the rest of us to find and hope to enjoy this hobby for as long as we are physically able to do it. Thanks to all of you who take the trouble to do this for the rest of us out here!

get mad, Choberiba. I too believe that caches can be closer together than a mile, half-mile, third of a mile... I enjoy hunting them all. It isn't like I'm going to boycott somebody's cache because they placed it too close to mine or didn't visit my caches while they were in the area.

A tourist, which we get tons of around here this time of year, is excused from hitting one or two caches in the area, maybe finding a nice place to hide one or two and moving on in their travels.

HOWEVER, I do maintain that those who live within 100 miles of this area should look into adjacent caches BEFORE placing new ones. The folks in question were obviously familiar with the area in which they wanted to place this cache to some degree. Maybe they are of the variety that would rather hide than find and that is okay, too. But these folks never visited any of the other caches between their zip code and mine. Not one. One of these groups of cache-dumpers/placers was obviously staying at a local hostel while traveling and probably placed caches all along their route at other hostels, etc.

And the issue of too many caches and not enough space to hide new ones doesn't apply here. Six months ago there weren't enough caches to get excited about. Though that has changed, the majority of the acreage in this area is wilderness, series of trails, National Park and BLM land with plenty of places to hide caches. If they had worked on it a bit, they had eighty-plus miles of roadway and access to the lands adjacent to those in which to hide caches away from any others.

I guess it is just me. Our caches tend to get good reviews and they are in interesting places with interesting history and I love to share that. I just wish more folks would plan on coming out here to hunt them! After all, that is the coolest reason for placing caches: sharing one's love for an area and it's history.

I guess I've prattled long enough... back to my new obcession... eBay Action Figures!

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

quote:
The GeoGadgets Team won't: get mad, Choberiba.

Whew! I can exhale again...

Topic: My five year old heads for Japan on Tuesday. I'm tempted to train her on my III+, hand her an ammobox and say "Hide this really well for Daddy".

That might set Red off again so I'll restrain myself

OT: Agnitum's freeware "Outpost" software Firewall seems to work really nice.

I've had a mess of bad luck with freeware lately and this was a treat.

I'm not in anyway connected so if you know of something better lemmeknow.

I knew I'd been in Berkeley too long when I saw "Free Firewood" and I wondered who this Firewood fellow was and what he had done.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

I knew I'd been in Berkeley too long when I saw "Free Firewood" and I wondered who this Firewood fellow was and what he had done.

How in the name of all that's crunchy can a guy get rid of a sig once it's taken root?

I've logged in and deleted the text and logged out again...

Still, unless I remember to un-check that lil-box I see it slapped up on screen.

I had no idea this would be an issue.

quote:

Topic: My five year old heads for Japan on Tuesday. I'm tempted to train her on my III+, hand her an ammobox and say "Hide this really well for Daddy".

That's to sweet to pass up you almost have to do it icon_biggrin.gif .... then again she may lose the III+

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

I can't believe you are getting upset about them not visiting your cache. Maybe they didn't like your description, maybe they didn't feel like going on a hunt, maybe ..., the point it finding other people's caches isn't mandatory. This is supposed to be fun remember? Maybe they realized how easily you are offended and didn't want to accidently offend you in your log book? Relax.

-Matt

mnelson78 tries to whack Red with a cluestick with:

"Maybe they realized how easily you are offended and didn't want to accidently offend you in your log book? Relax."

Careful Matt, Red has that stereotypical temper and you've decided to make your very first post one that is critical of an old-timer. (smells like Troll kibble)

I think I need to break out the words of wisdom from The Master himself.

quote:
When it comes to getting along with other people, being careful not to *cause* offense is only half of it. The obverse is to not go out of one's way to *take* offense. I think our society has gone as far with the "not causing offense" part as it really should, and that now it's time for the pendulum to start swinging back the other way -- for the burden to be on the shoulders of the offendees to explain *why* they're offended. And to duly abandon their being offended if they're unable to do so. - Geoff Miller