pirate

Dutchduane

Our only problem with this guy is (for those of you who didn't see the original site before he altered it to the "new innocent version") was that he openly was recruiting and encouraging people to steal everything out of a cache and post the photos on his web site. I never saw anything about returning it later. At least not on the version I saw. His new site seems candy coated. Plus if new geocachers think it's ok to take everything (or anything) and leave nothing then eventually we could all end up finding more empty caches than not. How fun is that? My little girl likes finding the toys. She could care less about the log book. icon_wink.gif

-WeBDLost3

BTW, I have the original website on my computer at work.

Not sure how to make it accessible, and I won't be there

tomorrow anyway. But, I might try to reconstruct it

as jpegs or something.

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

I think that if word was out that there is no chance of finding anything but useless trinkets in any given cache - the cache pirates would evaporate.

They aren't in it for the toys and items in the cache, they

are in it solely to ruin someone else's way of having fun.

That's why I get so upset. It's not a few $6 TBs and $15

worth of small toys and the logbook, it's the pleasure they

get from causing others misery that gets me wanting to

see them suffer.

I wouldn't beat someone up for stealing a happy meal toy off

of my front lawn... but if he took it out of my 4 year old's

hands and stomped it to pieces, I might just lose my composure.

In some ways it is like other bullys... nameless faceless

people with limited ability to defend themselves who

present an easy target for malice.

One of my goals is to not be an easy target, even if it's

costly in the short term. If I can make him pay, I'll do it.

If nobody ever stands up for what's right, then we will just become

a group of defensless victims. It's not like anyone got shot,

but the principle that we don't have to take abuse from a-holes

who get pleasure out of hurting & angering others and hiding

behind some sort of anonymity, or other form of unfair advantage

(like cops who abuse authority, bullies who abuse their strength (e.g. spousal abuse),

and people who strike when they think no one can see.

It starts small, but the thrill always needs to get bigger for

many of these people. Some of the serial murderers start out

torturing animals. If we can show abusive types early on that

we as a society are willing to fight them to protect those who

are not able to protect themselves.

There is nothing funny about damaging other people's property

for entertainment. This week it's harmless vandalism like

plundering caches by finding them from the coordinates. When

that gets boring, will it be dropping brick off of a freeway overpass?

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on August 20, 2003 at 07:10 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on August 20, 2003 at 07:12 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

I wouldn't beat someone up for stealing a happy meal toy off

of my front lawn... but if he took it out of my 4 year old's

hands and stomped it to pieces, I might just lose my composure.

There is nothing funny about damaging other people's property

for entertainment. This week it's harmless vandalism like

plundering caches by finding them from the coordinates. When

that gets boring, will it be dropping brick off of a freeway overpass?

From the first paragraph, I think you are not only justified, but are obliged to resist (or "beat up" as you say) someone stealing from you no matter what it is, front lawn or not. This goes along with what you are saying, allowing yourself to be a victim only jeopardizes others and society more.

What makes me sick is how this was obvious to generations past but some people can't seem to fathom it.

I don't know where the information came that his website is gone. I just looked at it. It is still up and running fine. I sorta feel responsible because I complained about finding a plundered cache yesterday. I am sure the pirate is just trying to make an interesting twist to this game we play. Unfortunately, until the pirating ceases, I will not be planting any more caches and will only be hunting caches that don't require a lot of effort. I would not like to find a plundered cache at the end of a 5 mile hike. So the 6 caches and 8 TB's I have ready to set out will have to stay in my back room for a while longer. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Message from the Cap’n

To all ye geo-sashayers:

Be ye not feared. Your efforts to thwart us will not deter us from the original plan. Luckily all of the prisoners escaped any harm. As keepin’ to true pirate tradition, our treasure will be hidden and, of course with all hidden treasure there be a map.

Believe us or no, we don’t much care. Whether you geo-sashayers like it or not, the group of you have gotten more entertainment out of we pirates than finding any overly commercialized plastic piece of junk. You have afforded us five pages on ye website. By the way, Cruzin!, that spammer will also work on ye precious website (Washington state also has a law against SPAM). Ah, Vacman, has Torrance taught ye nothin’.

Here’s a little something for all ye hypocritical armchair lawyers to read while ye cryin’ in yer granola.

RCW 70.93.060 Littering prohibited -- Penalties -- Litter cleanup restitution payment.

(1) …In addition, no person shall throw, drop, deposit, discard, or otherwise dispose of litter upon any public property in the state or upon private property in this state not owned by him or her … not limited to any public highway, public park, beach, campground, forest land, …

(3) If the violation occurs in a state park, the court shall, in addition to any other penalties assessed, order the person to perform twenty-four hours of community restitution in the state park where the violation occurred … RCW 79A.05.050.

Many of ye caches require leaving approved trails to retrieve them. Not very enviro-friendly! By the way, just threatening someone with physical harm is against the law. You forgot to mention that ye co-horts have threatened us in yer letter to the constable.

Once ship repairs are complete we shall continue with our mission. Seems we be needin’ a bigger galley. I raise me hat an’ give a hearty hook shake to Jeremy. This here game sure be a kick in ye ol’ pantaloons.

Just out of curiosity, why aren’t any of yer caches hidden in airports?

E. T.

Still convinced he is harmless?

I won't be responding any more to this thread.

Jeremy wrote:

quote:
Probably best to ignore them. They're obviously trolling for a reaction. Might as well not provide one.

I think this is proof that Jeremy was right.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I suspect this is the same person, or someone recruited by Mad Morty McVane to spread the pirate game to other states (MMM also talked about recruiting people, just as the current pirate does). That, or someone copying MMM on their own, which, if he really is just having a little fun, would be foolish considering the reaction MMM received.

In both cases, the game was seemingly being forced upon other people. That's bad -- private property on public land is still private property. On the other hand, maybe he actually *did* get permission from the cache owners and/or the bug owners (I doubt the latter, considering all his reassurances). As far as I know, none of them has checked in on this, so that's entirely possible.

As for his seeking vengence for the assault on his website, I doubt it. Either he was malicious from the start, or he's doing it for fun and it's all part of the game anyway. I'm sure he even expected it.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Dinoprophet wrote:

I suspect...

Conjecture and rumour. You're getting a bit too worked up -- you don't have enough facts to make a proper assessment. Sit back, let the Cap'n make his next move and deal with it then. There's really not much more that can be done until then -- unless you want to give Kojak a call and have him do a bit of digging around (Actually, Jim Rockford would be better suited for this case). Maybe it's a lot less harmful than you think. But then maybe it's worse...

I love a good pirate story. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Conjecture and rumour.

Of course. I haven't claimed to know any of it is fact.

quote:
You're getting a bit too worked up

I don't *feel* worked up. I know this is all speculation. I'm even giving the pirate the benefit of the doubt, that he *does* plan on replacing everything as he says. I see the fun in the persona, I just think it's ill-advised.

quote:
Maybe it's a lot less harmful than you think. But then maybe it's worse...

Yes.

quote:
I love a good pirate story.

I love a good mystery. Especially trying to guess the ending. icon_wink.gif

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:

I liked the way that you emphasized *feel* with the asterisks. That looks really cool. icon_razz.gif

Well, I already took flak in this thread for using italics. I guess I can't win. icon_frown.gif

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

quote:

I think you did win. The asterisks really do emphasize much better. *I like 'em*.

Should be:

*I* think you *did* win. The asterisks really *do* emphasize *much* better.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

quote:
Dinoprophet wrote:

Should be:

*I* think you *did* win. The asterisks really *do* emphasize *much* better.

Of course, *you* are correct here.

I think the PirateCaching.Com copyright info would have had much more impact if the Cap'n had used asterisks instead of quotes.

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on August 21, 2003 at 07:07 AM.]

HOLY CRAP! I went and actually found a few caches after my last post here yesterday, I can't beleive it's on it's 5th page. This dead horse has been beaten to powder.

Just to break the case wide open and end this thread, the pirate is non other than.......Johnny Depp!

Hmmm... Johnny Depp *and* James Garner -- now *that* would make one heck of an interestng episode of The Rockford Files.

It's been nice chatting with with you guys, but I've gotta go... I'll check back later in the day to see what new words are being *emphasized*.

Later.

This thread is embarrassing.

According to the Terms of Use Agreement

quote:
(a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

Terms of Use Agreement

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I'm curious to see what happens. I'm willing to bet that things reappear. Consider this:

- Each one of us takes Travel Bugs from caches

- Each on of us is supposed to place them in a cache when we've found "just the right spot.

- Each one of us aspires to place a cache or two as part of the game.

Other than assuming a character role and posting his finds on his own web page, how does he really deviate from a run-of-the-mill geocacher?

I will grant that his call to recruit others may some cause people of lesser intelligence to assume that it's simply a call to plunder. However, anyone can log on and get coordinates anyway, including vandals. Vandals are going to do it anyway. It's a reflection on them, not necessarily him.

--------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

[This message was edited by mckee on August 21, 2003 at 09:05 AM.]

Mark 42, I read this article on the Onion today. I thought you might enjoy it.

"Criminal Mad That Man Called The Cops On Him OAKLAND, CA—Ben Patton, arrested Monday, said he was angry that a passerby reported him to the police. "I'm minding my own f***ing business, crowbarring the door off of a Radio Shack, and some punk drives by and calls 911 on his cell phone," Patton said. "If it was his car I was breaking into, I could see him getting involved, but this is bull****." While in custody, Patton added that he wishes he had noted the color and model of the informant's car, so he could express his irritation to the driver in person."

Some people.

Pan

"The internet to tell me where. A GPS to get me there."

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Mark 42, I read this article on http://www.theonion.com today. I thought you might enjoy it.

"_Criminal Mad That Man Called The Cops On Him_ OAKLAND, CA—Ben Patton, arrested Monday, said he was angry that a passerby reported him to the police. "I'm minding my own f***ing business, crowbarring the door off of a Radio Shack, and some punk drives by and calls 911 on his cell phone," Patton said. "If it was his car I was breaking into, I could see him getting involved, but this is bull****." While in custody, Patton added that he wishes he had noted the color and model of the informant's car, so he could express his irritation to the driver in person."

Some people.

Pan

"The internet to tell me where. A GPS to get me there."

I wasn't using a crowbar.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

"Last Saskatchewan Pirate" by the Arrogant Worms

I used to be a farmer and I made a living fine,

I had a little stretch of land along the CP line

But times went by and though I tried, the money wasn't there

And bankers came and took my land and told me fair is fair

I looked for every kind of job, the answer always "no"

"Hire you now?" they'd always laugh, "we just let twenty go!"

The government, they promised me a measly little sum

But I've got too much pride to end up just another bum.

Then I thought, "Who gives a dadgum if all the jobs are gone?

I'm gonna be a PIRATE! on the River Saskatchewan!"

(ar.. ar.. ar..)

Chorus:

Cause it's a heave-ho! hi-ho!

Coming down the plains

Stealing wheat and barley and all the other grains

And it's a ho-hey! hi-hey!

Farmers bar your doors

When you see the Jolly Roger on Regina's mighty shores.

Arr!

Well you'd think the locals farmers would know that I'm at large

But just the other day I found an unprotected barge

I snuck up right behind them and they were none the wiser,

I rammed their ship, and sank it, and I stole their fertilizer!

A bridge outside of Moose Jaw spans a mighty river

Farmers cross in so much fear, their stomachs are a-quiver

'cause they know that TRACTOR JACK! is hiding in the bay,

I'll jump the bridge and knock them cold and sail off with their hay!

Chorus

Well Mountie Bob he chased me, he was always at my throat

He'd follow on the shoreline but he didn't own a boat

But cutbacks were a-coming and the Mountie lost his job

So now he's sailing with me and we call him Salty Bob.

A swingin' sword, and skull n' bones, and pleasant company

I never pay my income tax and screw the GST

Prince Albert down to Saskatoon, the terror of the sea

If ya wanna reach the Co-op, boy, you gotta get by me!

Chorus

Well, pirate life's appealing, but you don't just find it here

I've heard that in Alberta, there's a band of bucaneers

They roam the Athabasca, from Smith to Fort McKay

And you're gonna lose your Stetson if you have to pass their way

Well winter is a-coming and a chill is in the breeze

My pirate days are over once the river starts to freeze

I'll be back in springtime, but now I have to go,

I hear there's lots of plundering down in New Mexico!

Chorus

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

This thread is _embarrassing_.

According to the Terms of Use Agreement

quote:
(a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I object!

So now peoples opinions are not allowed as they are *objectionable to others*

Jomarac5 and Dino the italics and asterisks were for you baby!

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
The terrorists of 9/11 didn't win because we kept living our lives as usual,

Well, not exactly. Read the US Patriot Act, and the Homeland Security Act. My other hobby is building and launching mid power model rockets, an activity basically now banned by the HSA. With all of the resources well-funded terrorists have available, the federal government is worried about non-guided cardboard tubes flying around (ironically remote control aircraft is still A-OK)

- Not trying to get a Government/Freedom/Rights/Civil liberities string started.

E

I am really sick of the people defending the pirate (2 people in particular, one of which is so annoying I wish very bad things upon him). I liked how the pirate included the physical threats made against him in his letter. See, that got his attention.

Come to Michigan pirate, I'll even send you the co-ords to the caches I have hidden. We can have fun!

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Eswau:

Well, not exactly. Read the US Patriot Act, and the Homeland Security Act. My other hobby is building and launching mid power model rockets, an activity basically now banned by the HSA. With all of the resources well-funded terrorists have available, the federal government is worried about non-guided cardboard tubes flying around (ironically remote control aircraft is still A-OK)

- Not trying to get a Government/Freedom/Rights/Civil liberities string started.

E

There are quite a few rocketry folk here. Surprising, really, but I guess the same "geek" magnetism that attracts us to rocketry also works for geocaching. Maybe it's the "hunt it down" part?........

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

I am really sick of the people defending the pirate (2 people in particular, one of which is so annoying I wish very bad things upon him). I liked how the pirate included the physical threats made against him in his letter. See, that got his attention.

Moi? *innocent look*

--------------------

NOt you Mckee...it's me...i'm the annoying one....but I never defended the pirate...I said that it was funny and it was amusing how people reacted and still react to it. All it does is entice him more...

It would be one thing if you knew who it was, but you don't and I would say good luck if you try to find out...I will congratulate the one who does find him/them out...and even better, stops them...

For the record, I did state what he/they did was wrong...and someone mentioned that they made of had permission from the owners before hand, but no one has stepped forward...I would say more than likely they didn't...but don't count your chickens before they hatch...

Brian

Slight possibility that it's me too, but I guess annoying is in the eye of the beholder. It's what you do with that feeling that defines you. To wish "very bad things" on someone makes you sick in my book.

Look: you take a risk planting caches that some weirdo might pillage. If you are a pillager, you take the risk that some sicko will actually go to the trouble of tracking you down, staking out trap caches etc... and beat you up. I guess we're all living on the edge, baby icon_smile.gif

From what I have read here I realize that this stuff (piracy) is very old hat and will run it's course. What I love about this thread and others are the tough-guy, "string-em-up" attitudes expressed. Plays right into the pirates hands, and makes me laugh that people like that exist. Thanks.

Didn't think so, but you never know.

Seems like much ado. I don't see that trying to shut his site down is unfair in view of the whole kidnapped TB thing, seems more like a fair volley in his game. Threats? Too much. I can understand that people might be upset, but threatening them is just silly.

Did anybody hear back from the police?

Wouldn't it be a trick if the pirate was "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?"....

--------------------

Pluckers...I guess it's too late to become one of the posse and the lynch mob, huh? lol

The funny thing is that how people say how they would do this and that over some junk...But when the doot hits the fan, they are no where to be found...The prison system and courts are filled up with enough garbage as it is...why try to add more to it with something that can't be controlled? And especially with the object of the game is to take stuff out...I guess the next thing is to place a big sign on the cache that says this is private property, take one item and leave one item (then you may want to list what is acceptable items)...

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Pluckers...I guess it's too late to become one of the posse and the lynch mob, huh? lol

The funny thing is that how people say how they would do this and that over some junk...But when the doot hits the fan, they are no where to be found...The prison system and courts are filled up with enough garbage as it is...why try to add more to it with something that can't be controlled? And especially with the object of the game is to take stuff out...I guess the next thing is to place a big sign on the cache that says this is private property, take one item and leave one item (then you may want to list what is acceptable items)...

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

See, folks, how confused you can get when you have no moral compass?

It isn't about junk. It is about a concept called "principle." If someone is stealing from me, that is all I need to know. I don't give a dadgum what it is - it could be the lint from my dryer - it is irrelevant.

I understand that Sam...I think Pluckers does as well...we both stated it wasn't right...that's the principle... but if someone stole lint from someone elses dryer are you going to form a posse to go after them? Are you going to try to add to the system that is already strained with more threatening circumstances? Try telling a mother whos child is missing that you want to take an officer off of the hunt for their child you find your trinket thief...

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

I understand that Sam...I think Pluckers does as well...we both stated it wasn't right...that's the principle... but if someone stole lint from someone elses dryer are you going to form a posse to go after them? Are you going to try to add to the system that is already strained with more threatening circumstances? Try telling a mother whos child is missing that you want to take an officer off of the hunt for their child you find your trinket thief...

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

If we went after people beginning with lint, soon there would be a DROP in crime and the system would not be overburdened. I think you have the cart before the horse.

And if someone had decided to steal something worthless from you, what is there motivation to not steal something of value?

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

If we went after people beginning with lint, soon there would be a DROP in crime and the system would not be overburdened. I think you have the cart before the horse.

And who is going to fund this? Do you not pay enough taxes as it is?

quote:

And if someone had decided to steal something worthless from you, what is there motivation to not steal something of _value?_

Yeah I can see where the pirate might find you address and go to your house and steal something of value..... but wait, he may return it if you take a picture in front of the needle!

Edit: Would you leave something of value in a cache? If so, let us all know so we can swap it with a McToy or even better, the dryer lint...now is that stealing?

argggh! pirate1.gif

Brian

Forgive my language but this guy is a douche bag plain and simple. With all the tech savy folks on this site, is there nobody with the capabilities to flood his site and crash it?

What ever happened to mail bombing? Not the explosive type, but rather his mail server is flooded with so much mail that it crashes, no matter how many times he empties his in-box?

Kar

This thread has digressed. Are there any more points on the original topic that have not been addressed. Feel free to do so now.

I'd be happy to close it if all useful information has been communicated.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

I work for the frog

On page one of this thread, Jeremy suggested ignoring the Cap'n. Seems to me that now that we're on page five of all this off-topic stuff that it's finally happened. Not sure if this is *exactly* the way Jeremy envisioned it though.

I still love a good pirate story. icon_wink.gif

Amateur Rocketry is fun. I've built a few, but never find time to launch the. Soon, my kids will be old enough for the hobby, and things may change. I even designed and began building a very nice launch controller. Ah, to have time.

It wasn't that long ago you could buy dynamite in a hardware store w/o special permits. (in Alabama and most other "farm country").

No one said that the Pirate should get locked up... but he should get a stiff fine for stealing. Maybe just start with a policeman asking him a few questions, and letting him know that it is other people's property, and if he continues to steal it he may end up getting arrested and fined.

I didn't say I would do nothing if someone stole a happy meal toy off of my lawn, just that I probably wouldn't lose my temper. But when people start deliberately being malicious towards others just for their own entertainment, that really makes me angry in a hurry. I was trying to point out that, IMO, a person who is doing something for the pleasure of hurting &/or agravating others is worse than an ordinary thief.

It's not Litter when someone has deliberately placed it, and it has value to someone.