pirate

Dutchduane

Ok....let's look at the situation...what was the outcome? His site is gone? Big deal...Now he may in spite truly plunder every cache he can...pretty soon that area is going to start seeing a rise in plundered caches...I guarantee it. He's probably already out doing it now...quick... run...check on your cache... 90% of the people that posted on this thread were not even from that area, was not their caches, and not their TB's. Now they are going to have to wonder what the outcome of their stuff will be...and those in the immediate area whose caches were not affected now may very well be...

Just as in the TB world there are many lost or taken daily...no need to get upset over it...there's nothing you can do to stop it....

I never said it was ok...but geez the guy had a motive as stated on his site...at least you could of let him see if he falls through with it...

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

"Not that I condone his/her/their actions, but tit-for-tat will only escalate. At lesst with the web page up, there was a way to track what happened to the plundered caches. You have lost that tool."

That's the old "Don't make the criminals mad, or they'll be even meaner" thinking. I understand, but it has an intrinsic risk unto itself.

Like, "oh just do what the box-cutter weilding 'gentlemen' want (I'm sure Woody wouldn't call them terrorists - they aren't yet convicted in a court of law...) and it will all be over." Yep, I guess that kind of thinking is right if you look at it the right way. Let's negotiate. After all, if you talk a criminal out of taking half your cash, that is compromise right? I mean, what could be more "enlightened" than being willing to compromise.....

quote:

"And I'm sick of self-appointed auxiliary police types thinking they can step in and make rules with no authority. ...don't you DARE trample on my rights."

You see, ther is such a thing as right and wrong. It is wrong to steal. It is right to punish those who do. I went to the proper authorities, and was ridiculed. Now, even going to authorities makes me some sort of fascist.

People who continually defend wrongdoers are the reason we have so many laws inhibitting the freedom of decent people. If we went after those who do wrong in National Parks (like litterers) and if people pitched in to report it when they saw laws broken, there wouldn't be a need to ban everyone from all activities except for a few pre-approved ones.

Your freedom without responsibility is going to ultimately result in a loss of freedom. With freedom comes responsibiliy and consequences.

Exactly.

Actually, it looks like he's making a game of it, and is trying to make it a bit more palatable to those who own the travel bugs.

Still, if I had a TB, I wouldn't appreciate seeing it sit idly in the hands of someone who is deliberately delaying its movement.

Illegal... no. Impolite... yup.

We'll see where he goes from here.

Maybe he didn't understand that the caches

are considered property.

Too bad his parents didn't teach hime the golden rule. The ability to consider how someone else will feel about your actions is worth teacing kids... and before you say it, I'm still mad at the French... I have to use CATIA, and that in itself is reason to despise everything French!

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Ok....let's look at the situation...what was the outcome? His site is gone? Big deal...Now he may in spite truly plunder every cache he can...pretty soon that area is going to start seeing a rise in plundered caches...I guarantee it.

I guarentee his site would have inspired others.

I had a cache plundered awhile back by a person/group calling themselves 'Booty Vandals'.Pirate's Booty The cache container was left behind, but all of the contents were taken. The Rubbermaid container was covered with x-rated pictures and words. I'm glad the next finder did not have a child present.

They left behind a note in the cache with a email address(bootyvandals@...com).I never responded to the email as this is what they wanted. I didn't take the bait. I reported it to GC.com and had their account cancelled and ip blocked. They started up another account and I reported them again. Haven't hear from them since.

The best thing to do with these people is to not play their game.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

The site isn't gone.

George

It's not the same, though. The counter is reset and most of the buttons on the left are gone.

Quote from site: "UPDATE: It seems another band of pirates have tried to sink me ship, Lets just hope we can stow the locker and yer hearties safely upon the long boat while we head for the shipyard for repairs. "

quote:

Actually, it looks like he's making a game of it, and is trying to make it a bit more palatable to those who own the travel bugs.

Still, if I had a TB, I wouldn't appreciate seeing it sit idly in the hands of someone who is deliberately delaying its movement.

Illegal... no. Impolite... yup.

We'll see where he goes from here.

are considered property.

_ "I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it" _

Thats a respectable statement. True if he had the TB's and let them know what was up with them, then would it be ok? Do we know if this happened?

Brian

Guess what? We have been through ALL of this before, and we will go through it again. At one point some of us got together at night and went to his house with torches and...oh, wait, that was the Frankenstein cache-monster...well, we took care of his punk-a$$, too...

The best thing to do is carry on geocaching as usual. Don't let this punk get under your skin. The terrorists of 9/11 didn't win because we kept living our lives as usual, so the same should go here. (No, I am not drawing a comparison to that tragedy, just the way to overcome it).

If it continues, we will just turn the Evil Authority Figure Breaktrack loose on 'em... icon_mad.gif

He also states:

UPDATE #1: Arrrr: As a show of good faith, I will speak to me crew about releasing some of the treasure as a way to show our intentions are true.

UPDATE #2: It seems another band of pirates have tried to sink me ship, Lets just hope we can stow the locker and yer hearties safely upon the long boat while we head for the shipyard for repairs.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by MtnLion:

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

The site isn't gone.

George

It's not the same, though. The counter is reset and most of the buttons on the left are gone.

Quote from site: "UPDATE: It seems another band of pirates have tried to sink me ship, Lets just hope we can stow the locker and yer hearties safely upon the long boat while we head for the shipyard for repairs. "

The guy's sense of humor speaks well for those who say he is probably not "malicious" but is just warping the game a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Guess what? We have been through ALL of this before, and we will go through it again. At one point some of us got together at night and went to his house with torches and...oh, wait, that was the Frankenstein cache-monster...well, we took care of his punk-a$$, too...

The best thing to do is carry on geocaching as usual. Don't let this punk get under your skin. The terrorists of 9/11 didn't win because we kept living our lives as usual,....

Hmmm, doesn't seem usual to me. I understand you can no longer fly with your dignity intact.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

Hmmm, doesn't seem usual to me. I understand you can no longer fly with your dignity intact.

No, but you CAN keep your dignity with your fly intact....

But can you keep your fly intact if you want to fly? I find that the "foil wrapped cucumber" gag doesn't go over as well. [reference to Spinal Tap]

quote:

quote:
I find that the "foil wrapped cucumber" gag doesn't go over as well. [reference to Spinal Tap]

You're supposed to put the cucumber in the front.

rock.gif

Brian

[This message was edited by Woodsters Outdoors on August 20, 2003 at 01:24 PM.]

quote:

are considered property.

I'd suspect he's probably a member here, and probably trying to make the game more interesting (for him/herself), as indicated by the stated intention to replace things elsewhere. Probably figures "everybody loves a rogue!" Not accurate, but a common misconception.

130036_200.gif

As someone that had a cache stolen recently, I know how it is to lose a cache. But on the flip side, from what I saw of this guys site, there is nothing to lead me to believe that he wan't going to return the items at some point. Granted it is not fair play, but do we really think that we can hide stuff in public places, post the location to that stuff, and not expect items to get taken from time to time. So I am kinda shocked by the people being so suprised that someone might do something like this.

But what shocks me the most is the fact that people are going as far as reporting him to comcast because of his site. I think that is way overboard. It is not like he is going to someones private property and stealing it and then posting it on his site to brag about breaking and entering.

Then to go past that and report the deal to the police may in the long run reflect bad on geocaching. As someone put it, you can almost see the trial, "Judge: Pirate you must return the items taken, Cache Owner you must pay a $100 fine for knowingly leaving a container in a public park."

As far as kids go. I know that my niece had just as much fun (sometimes more) finding a micro with just a log book as she did finding a regular cache. I can't speak about all children, but around my niece unless I was to make a big deal about stuff not being in the cache, I really doubt that she would have noticed. If you allow your kids to believe that every cache will have most likely have a toy or whatnot then you are setting yourself up for hearing them fuss when you could across a cache that is empty besides a log book.

Once again, I am COMPLETELY against people taking stuff from a cache. I think it is stupid and childish. But we all have to be responsible and realize that some people are this way, and that is just life. If they come into your house or yard and take something, shoot them. If you purposely leave something in public for others to find, then you are going to have to expect something like this to happen from time to time. Right or wrong, it ain't right but it is bound to happen.

I agree with those that said that a lot of you are just going to make matters worse by trying to get his page banned. Comcast most likely will not remove it since there is nothing illegal about what he is doing. unmoral, however distasteful it might be, by trying to stir up stuff with him you are only going to make him that much more determined to do it. Not only that but you are going to get others attracted to the thought. There is always individuals out there that get a kick out of stiring up peoples emotions.

---------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

www.neurocache.com - NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page

quote:

Unless DutchDuane is the pirates hand puppet...

http://www.motorcycle2.com/emoticons/cop.gif http://www.motorcycle2.com/emoticons/greenchainsaw.gif http://www.motorcycle2.com/emoticons/banghead.gif

That's sock puppet...

Brian

quote:

True Team360....

Now this is getting to be fun...the ship is going in for repairs....

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

A postive spin on a bad thing has the same result. Caches plundered. Yeah they got style, but style doesn't make it any more right, or any less wrong.

Am I supposed to capitalize "Sock Puppet"?

Mr Pirate is going to be awfully surprised when my friends show up at his door with handcuffs...

I once had a friend "arrest" my boss as a joke.

We were in a restaraunt, and I saw a friend of mine (police afficer) sitting at a table as a group of coworkers and I walked in.

When I got up to go to the restroom, I went and asked my friend to give my Boss (also a friend) a minor scare.

"Are you Scott Lewis?"... "Yes..." "Keep you hands where we can see them..." icon_biggrin.gif

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

I noticed last night that he had more TBs listed than he does now. It also seems that his game of posting a cache and telling others to plunder it for a prize is gone. Last night he also had pictures of the plundered cache contents on his website.

Today's version of his website looks innocuous. Last night's was a bit more malevolent.

I think some of you may have missed the point. We have enough trouble with caches being taken or vandalized by muggles. Now we have to contend with someone's twisted version of fun? This guy (on last night's website) encouraged others to join him and post plundered caches on his website. That just seems like a malicious attempt to stomp on our freedom to play our game.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

I noticed last night that he had more TBs listed than he does now. It also seems that his game of posting a cache and telling others to plunder it for a prize is gone. Last night he also had pictures of the plundered cache contents on his website.

Today's version of his website looks innocuous. Last night's was a bit more malevolent.

Thanks for the info.

Earlier today...had a question as if you want to be a priate to send him an email stating why you would be a good one or something to that effect...I think everyone is taking it all too seriously...as mentioned before...don't worry about it, it will eventually go away..Every little bit that you entice him and he does more or goes what I would call "bad", then the chance of there being a serial cache plunderer. You can't stop him....Why worry about it and try...just place caches that he can't keep up...or better yet..become a member and make the cache for members only. That way you could narrow the intruder down a bit...

Brian

quote:

"Not that I condone his/her/their actions, but tit-for-tat will only escalate. At lesst with the web page up, there was a way to track what happened to the plundered caches. You have lost that tool."

That's the old "Don't make the criminals mad, or they'll be even meaner" thinking. I understand...

edited for brevity...

Taking and arguing that one piece of my message also took out of context my message and misconstued the message as a whole. I niether condoned or approved of the action. Even said as much. I merely pointed out the loss of ability to track what happened to the caches when plundered. I also pointed out further actions that can probably be taken as a result.

Argue what you want about our freedoms, but if his public announcement intention of taking the bugs with intent to place them later is construed as stealing, then we all are guilty of that charge.

I think with the short time I looked at his web page, this string really took out of context the individual's intent. It truly appeared a different twist of the caching game with intent to place the contents elsewhere, with special regards to the TB's. Otherwise, calling cards wouldn't have been dropped and a public web page developed regarding it.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:

True Team360....

Now this is getting to be fun...the ship is going in for repairs....

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

A postive spin on a bad thing has the same result. Caches plundered. Yeah they got style, but style doesn't make it any more right, or any less wrong.

If in fact his action was malicious and had no intent of following through with what was stated, then I agree... there is no good in putting a positive spin on a bad thing.

Of course, that stated, I also briefly looked at the web page and noted there was some hanging issues and just as quickly lost interest in trying to look at it any further.

Thanks for stating the obvious. It needed to be said.

Mark42, with that above stated, my remarks were also based strictly on that brief look and interpretation of intent. Please don't preach to me about freedoms. I spent my time doing my part in protecting those freedoms.

Cheers!

TL

Canadazuuk wrote:

quote:
I just woke up to find nearly 200 posts on this thread... ouch

My thoughts too zuuk. Sheesh-200+ posts and over 2400 views. icon_rolleyes.gif While you guys were busy working today I played golf and found one traditional and two locationless caches. I think I may go find some more on the way home now.... icon_razz.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

What is ironic is that I am likely one of the closest geocachers to the area of plundering.

Abbotsford BC is a 30 minute drive from Bellingham WA.

Gee, I could have teamed up with a few yanks and done a stake out...

Maybe the pirate was the guy who stole 7 of my caches in Abbotsford?

And then again, probably not.

So he left the containers behind? And just took stuff and started a humourous website?

Gee whiz, sounds like he just combined some fairly typical GC.com activities: TSLN(OV) (took something, left nothing (of value)) and being a jokester on the forums...

There are starving people in the world folks. Grab a grip. But I am curious about why they changed or removed their site so darn quick...

I do my part to reduce plundering, by leaving cheap stuff in caches. My guess would be that "letter boxes" don't get plundered very often. I think that if word was out that there is no chance of finding anything but useless trinkets in any given cache - the cache pirates would evaporate.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG