FTF... how do you feel about it?

Bennu

Seems some folks get somewhat competitive when it comes to being the FTF, and others don't feel they are competitive, yet turn up as the FTF quite often. My question is, how do you feel about being the FTF? Is it different than a regular find, and if so, why?

Not all who wander are lost

Let's face it. It's nice to be first. At anything.

IT's also more difficult at caching especially since you don't have any previous logs to read that would help you find it.

Most people who were first to my caches espressed delight in being first. Especially if it was their first, first! The old-timers, who push to get there first also, stay cool and make believe they're not interested by not mentioning they're first. But we know how they really feel. Can't fool us! icon_wink.gif

Alan

I enjoy being the FTF, but I rarely go out of my way to do so. I got up at 5am once to find a puzzle cache. Got a nice $15 gift certificate for that one (I didn't know there was any prize when I decided to try and find it).

One reason I like to try and find a cache soon after it's hidden, is that I'm more likely to run into other cachers. I met GLM that way last week. We were the first to find a series of 4 caches on the AT. Lots of fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Bennu:

My question is, how do you feel about being the FTF? Is it different than a regular find, and if so, why?

Of course it's different ... sometimes, the FTF has the honor of discovering problems with puzzles/equations, poor coordinates, or other problems the cache owner missed or failed to anticipate.

By the time the 5th person finds such a cache, the problems have all been sorted out, clues have been added, and a path has been beaten directly to the cache, which is no longer hidden.

So in conclusion, if you want more of a challenge, try to be first to a cache. If not, wait til after a few have found it.

Ah, I also should have added that it's a LOT more fun being FTF than 'Last to Find.'

Sometimes you can not help but to be first. Red and I went on a weekend binge and were first at a cache 200 mile from home, a week after the cache had been put out. Should we have skipped it? Right. Like heck we would.

Then there are times when you get the FTF bug and have to try to be first on anything in your area. It soon passes. Sooner or later. Well, maybe later then sooner. We also like to help out if we do locate problems on new caches, like slight number typos that place caches 46 miles from where they really are.

And you do have a bigger chance of meeting other cachers on the newer caches and the later into the cache life cycle, the more trails, ripped apart brush, chopped down trees and shrubs, rock piles destroyed, trash left over from lunches, car parts in the road, dead batteries along the road and near the cache and minor things like that which will lead you to the cache sitting on top the stump and filled with nothing but broken McToys.

Just kidding about that last part!

We just hope to enjoy the hunt, first or not but hopefully not last.

logscaler.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.

[This message was edited by logscaler on October 25, 2003 at 11:21 AM.]

quote:
Of course it's different ... sometimes, the FTF has the honor of discovering problems with puzzles/equations, poor coordinates, or other problems the cache owner missed or failed to anticipate.

By the time the 5th person finds such a cache, the problems have all been sorted out, clues have been added, and a path has been beaten directly to the cache, which is no longer hidden.

So in conclusion, if you want more of a challenge, try to be first to a cache. If not, wait til after a few have found it.

Spoken by someone with probably over 1,000 FTF's .

Personally, I don't care one way or another about FTF's. I guess it's nice in a way to see what the cache was like when the owner placed it, rather than the waterlogged mass of slimy paper and rusty trinkets that the cache becomes 6 months later. FTF's seem to be more important in some places than others. There seems to be a real competetion in some regions. In NJ, nobody makes a big deal about them (probably because we all know that Bassoonpilot will probably get the FTF icon_wink.gif ). I've placed some caches that went 2-3 days before the first find.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on October 25, 2003 at 01:31 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:

My question is, how do you feel about being the FTF? Is it different than a regular find, and if so, why?

Ah, I also should have added that it's a LOT more fun being FTF than 'Last to Find.'

That's exactly why I like shooting for FTF, and to make it a bit more fun I like to hunt at night for a FTF.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:

Seems some folks get somewhat competitive when it comes to being the FTF, and others don't feel they are competitive, yet turn up as the FTF quite often. My question is, how do you feel about being the FTF? Is it different than a regular find, and if so, why?

I have one FTF.

When I noticed the cache on the map with no finds, I went to find it as it started snowing. I found it and the extra good feeling was that:

(1) I found it exactly as the owner hid it, and not as someone replaced it.

(2) There were no existing "game trails" to help me.

(3) There were no logs with hints to help me.

I felt good that I did it all by myself.

Since then I pretty much only cache on Saturdays, so there has not been a cache un-found in my area at the time. I don't even really look for them. I focus on an area where I can hit about 3 caches in one trip.

So, although a FTF is great, I am not going to monitor the maps daily or set up a daily PQ for new un-found cachers or something like that. And I certainly won't try to beat the 5 or so FTF fanatics in my area. I'll end up with footprints up my back. icon_smile.gif

And, if you look at my stats, I probably have the lowest "found" count of any cacher that joined this January, or even this June. I guess I am taking a more relaxed approach to this outdoor recreational activity that most.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I don't intentionally get up at 4am and try for a FTF but if it pops up on my nearest cache list and I had already planned to cache that day, i'll probably head toward that cache first.

"When action grows unprofitable, gather information. When information grows unprofitable, sleep." - Ursula LeGuin

We have some very stiff competition around our area for FTFs. Generally you've got to be fairly quick to pick them up. Over the past year I've picked up about a dozen of them -- some I did right away (especially when I first started caching) but over the past several months, I've waited at least a day or so to allow some of the newer cachers in the area to pick them up. If a day or two go by, it indicates to me that no one is overly concerned about the FTF and may step out and pick it up.

I recall the thrill of being the FTF for the first few times and just think it's a nice thing to let others experience this feeling as well. I've read some pretty good logs from people who have logged their first FTF -- they obviously think it's a bit special.

Leaving the FTF for a newcomer just seems like a neighbourly thing to do.

quote:
Originally posted by nctreker:

I don't intentionally get up at 4am and try for a FTF

I'll tell you one thing, back a couple of years ago, when one could access caches awaiting approval through "the back door," people did stuff like that very often ... I was first or second finder on a number of caches picked off the list within minutes of being submitted and days prior to their approval.

An interesting side note is that very few of those caches ever had problems, and none of them ever failed to win approval. Ahh, the good old days ...

I like being the FTF. I keep track of all my caches on an excel spreadsheet I've made and have a category for FTF's. I also keep track of them on my profile (mainly as a dig to my brother-in-law...don't tell him). I find that if I have the time and opportunity I'll rush out to be FTF, but if I don't I'll wait weeks to go get the cache.

I do have to say, though, out of all my FTF's I've only received one FTF prize, and while nice it certainly wasn't like the prizes some people describe.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

CYBret's Geocaching Page

Well, since my one and only FTF was this morning, I don't have a lot of experience with them. However, I did enjoy finding it, as noted earlier, exactly as the hider intended it to be found.

I enjoyed the fun of finding it before someone else, but I know that this will be rare for me because of my schedule.

We have several "usual suspects" in the area that are notorious for being on top of the new caches being placed. I've gotta admit that I expected to see one of them on the trail coming back toward the parking area as I was headed in. icon_smile.gif

I think the best part of being the first, or one of the first, to find is the fact that you don't have the trails to follow and the log of others to lead you to the hide. It's a true hunt, especially if there's problems with the coordinates, This was the case of an earlier cache I hunted down. Instead of being the FTF, I became the troubleshooter. After this experience, I thing I'd enjoy doing more of that (troubleshooting) than being the FTF.

Just my .02

- Mark (S-4-C)

I KNOW I'll find it if I just keep LOOKING!

I was the FTF at two different caches yesterday. What a rush. I started this thread to see if other areas experience what we experience around here. One person is the main FTF, but insists they are not competitive and don't try to be FTF. I am sure that if you have found all the caches in your immediate area that when a new one pops up, it makes you want to find it. But, why rush out there as soon as it posts? The ones I did yesterday were in neighboring towns, halfway between Austin and San Antonio, so not exactly "handy" for some folks to rush out and be FTF. I happened to have a trip to Austin planned, and so they were just a bit out of my way. However, I do get a big kick out of being the First, for the same reasons that have been stated here, and can't imagine that most, if not all, others feel the same.

Hmmm...I kind of expected Criminal to chyme in on this topic.

I don't have any FTF's and I'm proud of it icon_razz.gif Not really. I've tried to FTF on maybe 1/2 a dozen caches in my area. There is one individual that's pretty good about watching the lists and gets out pretty early after approval. There's a handful of locals that make it a game to see if we can beat this guy, but it's to no avail.

My closest FTF miss was 20 minutes. One of these days I'm going to trip over a cacher doing a FTF and break a tooth or something icon_wink.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

I was pretty happy to be the FTF the first time. After that, I was not concerned about being FTF as the caches seem to get found as people have time to do it, so it is logical that people who devote more time to geocaching would have more FTF's.

The one I just scored though has really get my juices flowing as it was a nighttime cache with multiple reflectors marking a trail to the cache area, then a night time hunt for the cache. It had been out for several months and I was the FTF. Its a 3/4 cache and that it went so long before being found made me quite happy to be the FTF'r.

7 3 10 13 23 36 59 95 ...

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

I enjoy being the FTF, but I rarely go out of my way to do so...

One reason I like to try and find a cache soon after it's hidden, is that I'm more likely to run into other cachers...Lots of fun.

That pretty much says it for me. I don't really care about FTF (except for the $100 first finders prize I once found) icon_biggrin.gif

For me, meeting a fellow geocacher on the trail is more of a thrill and leaves a more lasting impression.

FTF around here is nigh impossible. We have the CT Trampers you know! But once in a while I get lucky. Last time I got HIWFTF (Hiked In With First To Finder). Once the coords were off by a 1/4 mile. So the hider placed a rose in the cache for me which I thought was really sweet and I went back with a friend. I got two FTF in MA two weeks ago, and then felt bad about taking that away from a local....NOT!

I cache, therefore I am.

Planet

quote:

*I wanted to be the FTF on one cache, but didn't make it. It's ok though, I'll still find the cache anyway. It's still fun, though as you say it CAN be a little competetive. My cache time is limited, so for me to get to be FTF would be out of the ordinary.......

If it isn't hard, it isn't worth doing right?

How do I feel about it?

I feel like gettin it every chance that I can. Most of my FTF's are night raids. icon_cool.gif

It's not what makes the world go round though. Event caches are another matter. I'll take an event over FTF every time. big_smile.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

FTF is no big deal to me. Finding the cache is the main thing to me. I have only had a couple FTF, while there is one person who used to ALWAYS put in his log entry "Yet another first find for......" like he has to rub it in that he is so much of a loser that he has to gloat about it. I rank this up with people who are bug hunters, and think they need to collect EVERY bug that comes with a 50 mile radius instead of letting everybody have a chance to get them.

Whewwww, I will get off my soapbox now

It's fun, and adds a bit of intrigue...

My wife and I got to One Cache near our house within an hour or two of when it came online. I was excited to be holding my first FTF, but dreading the possibility that I'd been out maneuvered... I was about an hour too late.

But it was fun to engage in the pursuit.

Next time I'll consider going home with a sudden illness... (JK)

I have one FTF sort of, it was on a cache event, and the caches had not gone online. It was an extremely challenging multi (multi-micro!). The "rulles" were that if no one claimed FTF after it had been online for 48 hours, the person who was first there on the day of the event could claim FTF.

But it doesn't really seem like a true FTF to me since it wasn't online at the time I found it.

Here's one that has been up since Sept 2nd and not been found yet!

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

I'm pretty competative when it comes to just about anything. FTF for me adds yet another competative eliment to the game. I have been known to travel 40, 50 minutes and at relatively early hours just to grab a FTF.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

Depends on how close they are. A few new caches came online about 8 miles away and I pretty much ignored them, but this morning a new 7 stage multi came online, early, right in my area. I got everything together and was there before 9am, only to find someone had gotten there at dawn, earlier than I would have thought the park was even open. (urban area, parks 'open' and 'close', tickets and severe tire damage to those who disobey.)

I was on bike, he was on foot. I caught up with him on the way to the final cache. He was not suprised to find that someone was coming up on his tail. Naturally because I was second all the way he got the FTF. The 'race' aspect of the whole thing really gave this multi a whole different flavor.

That's probably it. It's not so much finding the cache first as it is beating [insert name here] who always seems to be there right away.

Well of course there is a certain degree of satisfaction in being the first finder, especially when there are sever prolific cachers in the area. But more than that, the first finder is the only one that enjoys finding the cache hidden exactly as intended. The unnatural giveaways such as tromped vegetation, footprints, and a deteriorated hiding spot typically won’t be present.

I was a FTF once... and once only. It was the highlight of my life, I thought.

I was so entrhalled that I continued caching like a fool for many more hours. By the time I got home to log my FTF find, some other gweeker had already logged their subsequent find BEFORE mine.

It was the best of times... it was the worst of times...

--majicman