Please Don't Archive Me! - What Should I Do!

OK, I'll admit that the Subject line of this thread is a little more urgent/inflammatory than it really needs to be, but it got you to read the thread, right?

Anyway, here's my dilemma:

A (fairly) new cacher with 14 recorded finds recently logged My Cache 'Midwestern Silicon' with a fairly positive log and dropped off a travelbug. No problems there....

Except the log was entered as a "This Cache Should Be Archived" log and not a find....

I immediately emailed the cacher in question and suggested that they edit their log to fix this, unless they actually had some reason to request the cache be archived.

It will have been a week tomorrow. I'm assuming that TPTB has already looked at the log and gone 'Huh? Why?' and moved on. I just don't like having that red X hanging there at the top of the logs for various reasons.

I seem to have 3 options:

1. Wait some more (But how long?)

2. Use the sledgehammer and delete the log (Well, since it's a TCSBA it's not counting as a 'Find' for them anyway.....)

3. As for intervention by TPTB (That is if they don't take it into their own hands if they read this thread...)

I'm open for suggestions.......

----------------------------------

MnGCA-button.gif

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"

I think for some reason they clicked the wrong button. Go and do a maintainance check on your cache to be sure that YOU are happy with it and log it as a note on your cache page. ie. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=30176.

I had some people who were concerned about the cache I owned and posted an Archive note. I checked and posted my own note so anybody looking will see that.

My hockey Mom beat up your soccer Mom.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

I already checked on the cache (I wanted to log the TB that they had brought, for personal reasons) and had come to the same conclusion as you did zoltig. They clicked the wrong button

I didn't really want to clutter up the page with more notes, but I suppose that that's another way to handle it as well. But Wallflower still doesn't get credit for the cache that way....

I'm going to be away from the computer for the holiday weekend, so I probably won't actually DO anything until Monday...

They have logged in since posting that find, as recently as yesterday. If it were my cache, at this point I would email them a copy of the log, and then delete it. Explain to them why you deleted it, and tell them they are more then welcome to relog it as a find.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Sometimes it's the handy-dandy wheel mouse that causes problems with logging. I know that I have inadvertantly logged 'Not Found' or 'TCSBA' or even dropped the wrong TB in a cache by simply rolling that wheel with the wrong field selected.

Of course, I fixed my mistake as soon as I realized it. For me, that realization is pretty similar to the realization that your keys are still in the ignition as the door clicks shut. icon_rolleyes.gif

Definitely a mistake - they surely wouldn't have left a TB in a cache they thought should be archived. Perhaps like all too many people they use the web a lot but rarely check their email. As others have said, mail them a copy and delete the log.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

I just checked my cache page, and the log has been edited....

MnGCA-button.gif

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"

I had this happen on a couple of mine. I think in my case, it was a user error of sorts. They had clicked 'Found it!', but then mouse scrolled down to the next field (or something along those lines) not realizing that in the process they had scrolled the radio button selection down to the bottom (Cache should be archived).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"