GeoCachers vs "Regular Humans"

mrcpu

I stopped by This Cache today and as you can see by my log, I was NOT pleased with the way the other people in the area were acting.

There were at least 20 people in 3 or 4 groups milling around, climbing up and down the dunes and even YELLING loudly. Myself and Servman were quite disturbed considering that there are several signs up by the parking area that very clearly state STAY ON THE TRAIL. DO NOT CLIMB ON THE DUNES.. We even found a couple of fire pits and several broken beer and booze bottles.

This whole thing got me thinking about the fact that as a GeoCacher I try NOT to disturb the environment anymore than necessary. In the case of this and another cache I did today, the cache owner had posted in the description a statement about the delicate nature of the terrain. In both caches the owner had placed the cache near the trail and away from the fragile areas.

So my question is, Shouldn't parks be banning NON-GEOCACHERS instead of GeoCachers?!?!

Just my $0.50 CAN ($0.02 USD) worth.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I will tell you this much...when you are convinced that you are in the right and someone else is causing the problem, give them enough rope and eventually they will hang themselves with it. I have to believe that as park official become more aquainted with geocaching, and see the measures we take to protect the environment, it will become clear who they need to concern themselves with. It is going to be really hard for them to single out a person with a GPSR in one hand as being a problem, when the other hand is holding a trashbag full of litter they are packing out.

quote:
Originally posted by Japonis:

While searching for a cache yesterday I was serching around alot of rock when i found where someone had relived themselves (#2), they had not tryed to bury it and had left the toilet paper strewn about on the ground. Very revolting.

Japonis icon_mad.gif

I apologize in advance...

Was there a LOG book?

with the entry "Took a Dump, left TP

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

quote:
Originally posted by Japonis:

While searching for a cache yesterday I was serching around alot of rock when i found where someone had relived themselves (#2), they had not tryed to bury it and had left the toilet paper strewn about on the ground. Very revolting.

Japonis icon_mad.gif

I apologize in advance...

Was there a LOG book?

with the entry "Took a Dump, left TP

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

There were at least 20 people in 3 or 4 groups milling around, climbing up and down the dunes and even YELLING loudly. Myself and Servman were quite disturbed...

'This is what's wrong with society today'

Sound familiar? Ha Ha. You're getting old then.

Listen, when others behave like that, old or young, you have to do something about it. You have as much right to be there as anyone and those signs are placed there to protect your viewing pleasure. You wouldn't stand around and watch a thief help themselves to the contents of your home. This is no different. No one has the right to complain about something unless they're willing to take part in the process to stop or change it.

To clarify my opinion (since I've noticed it's easy to take things the wrong way on a forum), I'm NOT stating to you, MrCPU, to quit your *****in'. I'm just making a general statement that reflects my reactions in the same situation. Go over there and kick 'em off the hill!

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

Yea, I was thinking about that. About the only thing I could think of doing at the time wasn't legal icon_rolleyes.gif . I was thinking afterwards that perhaps putting up several BIGGER signs that clearly state "STAY OFF DUNES" would be better.

I'd also come out and help the Bruce Tail organization (I believe they actually own the property as they have signs up saying that any filming has to be done with their permission) put up rope barriers to keep people on the trails.

Problem is, if you put up big signs and rope barriers, people would still be disrespectful and go off trail onto the dunes anyways.

About the only thing I'd like to do that can't be done is put up a sign "Anyone going on the dunes will be executed" and then sit up in a tree with a sniper rifle. Shoot the first guy out on the dunes and tie the body up on a pole...

OH MY GOD. I'M STARTING TO SOUND LIKE A FOREST RANGER!!!!! icon_eek.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

Yea, I was thinking about that. About the only thing I could think of doing at the time wasn't legal icon_rolleyes.gif . I was thinking afterwards that perhaps putting up several BIGGER signs that clearly state "STAY OFF DUNES" would be better.

I'd also come out and help the Bruce Tail organization (I believe they actually own the property as they have signs up saying that any filming has to be done with their permission) put up rope barriers to keep people on the trails.

Problem is, if you put up big signs and rope barriers, people would still be disrespectful and go off trail onto the dunes anyways.

About the only thing I'd like to do that can't be done is put up a sign "Anyone going on the dunes will be executed" and then sit up in a tree with a sniper rifle. Shoot the first guy out on the dunes and tie the body up on a pole...

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4525_1300.gif

Nothing wrong with that. I plan on being one some day.

Hey, you're just down the road from me right now. What a beautiful Easter Sunday, eh? If I had of known everyone else in the house was going to sleep in this late, I would have gone out geocaching. Stupid me though, I left the GPSr at home. Have you been to the new caches in T.O.?

Hint Hint

When do we leave?

MajBach

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

quote:

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4525_1300.gif

Nothing wrong with that. I plan on being one some day.

Hey, you're just down the road from me right now. What a beautiful Easter Sunday, eh? If I had of known everyone else in the house was going to sleep in this late, I would have gone out geocaching. Stupid me though, I left the GPSr at home. Have you been to the new caches in T.O.?

Hint Hint

When do we leave?

MajBach

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

I've cached out most of the city now. I started in Georgetown and went north along the bruce trail with servman on the weekend.

That was Saturday. Sunday I discovered that there were 2 new caches placed exactly on the line I travelled icon_mad.gif

Oh well, now I have another excuse to visit the beautiful town of Georgtown again!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I've cached out most of the city now. I started in Georgetown and went north along the bruce trail with servman on the weekend.

That was Saturday. Sunday I discovered that there were 2 new caches placed exactly on the line I travelled icon_mad.gif

Oh well, now I have another excuse to visit the beautiful town of Georgtown again!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif