Poison-Oak!

I was just wandering if anybody has a remedy that doesn't hang out on the same shelf as the other poison-oak remedies?Here's mine,Stidex acne pads.They just helped me get over a case of the "OAK" in about 4 to 5 days.Would like to hear any other alternative remedies.

fishin'fool was here!

After goin' winter caching a bit back, I developed an itch on my left ankle. Not really red or anything, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a bug bite. I probably scraped against some poison oak or ivy, and didn't realize it until later.

I remembered reading somewhere that a lavendar essential oil could help relieve itches, so I tried it. Applied some on my ankle via cotton swab, and it provided relief for several, mebbe up to 8 or more hours at a time. It took almost a week before I stopped having to apply it. So, if you don't mind smelling like lavendar, it might be worth a shot. I just wouldn't attempt it on a very large area... *whew* would that reek!

I've also read that mint essential oil will help itches, and I think that's part of the thing behind using toothpaste for bug bites. I think I tried that once on a mosquito bite, and it worked ok. Though you want to be careful with any kind of essential oil, Lavendar is more mild than mint, though both can be applied 'neat' (pure essential oil, not mixed with a carrier oil) in small quantities.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

quote:
Originally posted by BevCrusherMD:

If you think you've got into it, before the rash breaks out, wash with a product called Technu. You can get it in either liquid or soap form. Its fantastic.

Live Long and Geocache!

When you wash, make sure it is with cold water. Warm water opens your pores and makes the poison oak stuff get into your skin more.

quote:
Originally posted by fishin'fool:

I was just wandering if anybody has a remedy that doesn't hang out on the same shelf as the other poison-oak remedies?Here's mine,_Stidex acne pads_.They just helped me get over a case of the "OAK" in about 4 to 5 days.Would like to hear any other alternative remedies.

_fishin'fool was here!_

When normal cures don't work I was told about this one.... bleach...straight Bleach..I had rolled in a patch of poison ivy in the mid-80 by accident....my legs looked like orange peel and was spreading..... On of the Old Locals told me about Bleach...so I tried it. Poured Clorox on a hand-towel and rubbed all over the poison ivy. BOY DID IT BURN!!!!!! But in 2 days...it was ALL GONE!!!!!!!

This is not a recommended treatment.....but then again today's doctors can't seem to treat anything that doesn't call for a pill.

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

I've heard about the bleach thing,my dad was a timber faller for years and he carried a small spray bottle with a 50/50 bleach and water mixture in it.When you cut through a poison-oak vine that is as big around as your wrist the chain will throw the "pitch" on you.It's about like mollasses and if you don't get it off fast it will blister in minutes.The bleach mixture cuts the oil from the poison-oak and washes it away.I think that is the key to not getting it in the first place.The stridex are made to pull the oil from your skin and wash it away.I think that I'm going to add this to my daypack and when I have been exposed to the "oak" I will simply take out a pad or two and wipe my hands and arms before it has a chance to soak into my pores. icon_biggrin.gif

fishin'fool was here!

I've recently found out that I'm allergic to poison oak. (Poison ivy is the same substance, urushiol) I get puffy eyes, cracked lips and 4-5 weeks of symptoms.

As soon as I got over my first case, I contacted it a second time. This time I was ready and I immediately scrubbed my hands and arms with Tecnu. The infection was very mild.

Now, I always carry a full bottle of Tecnu and I'll use it at the slightest hint of poison oak.

I've also learned of something called Zanfel that is supposed to work after the rash symptoms appear. It's supposed to remove the urushiol from the skin cells. I'll let you know how it works if I'm so unlucky as to need it.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I'm very susceptible to poison oak/ivy. My doc says that the urushiol in the "poison" plants really isn't poison at all, but that it causes your own immune system to tremendously overreact. When I came in last year covered in the stuff, she said, "Congratulations. Your immune system is working just fine." Usually the treatment for a really horrible systemic case (where it's popping out all over, including places that couldn't possibly have come into contact with the plant) is a round of steroids to quiet the immune system down.

Zanfel is pricy (about $40/tube), but does the trick for me by getting the urusiol released from my system and washed away. My understanding (admittedly limited) is that the urushiol bonds to the keratin in the skin and is hard to get off. A little bit of zanfel goes a long way.

Other precautionary measures work, too, like bathing as soon as I get home, and washing everything I wore right away. My hands are pretty tough and I don't usually get poison ivy there, but my doc said that lots of people get it on their hands from shoestrings which drug through the brush and poison stuff.

52813_3100.gif

The Poison Oak rash is cause by a chemical called urushiol. This is present in poison oak leaves, branches and roots.

If you are exposed, take a shower immediately, no matter how long it has been. First make sure all the clothes you wore, including shoes, are in a separate bag, and wash them before touching them again. Do not use hot water.

Calamine and similar lotions do not really help much. It may help a bit for minor affliction, but is basically worthless. Hydrocortisone is pretty useless as well. Some people can find relief from these products. If you can, good luck. But if it is bad, what you want is Prednisone.

If it is very bad, go to the doctor. Prednisone, a type of steroid, is very effective but may increase the likelihood of infection with prolonged use, so they will only prescribe it for about a week's worth of medication in descending dosage. (Of course, if you have Poison Oak, I doubt you'll care very much about an itty bitty infection!)

Atarax, or hydroxyzine if you buy generic, will make it itch less. It will make you very drowsy though. If your doctor does not know about these two medications get another doctor.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

The pinnately trifoliate leaves typically have three leaflets (sometimes five), the terminal one on a slender rachis (also called a stalk or petiolule). Eastern poison ivy often has a longer rachis and the leaflet margins tend to be less lobed and serrated (less "oak-like"). In the similar-appearing squaw bush (Rhus trilobata) the terminal leaflet is sessile (without a stalk). Like many members of the Sumac Family (Anacardiaceae) new foliage and autumn leaves often turn brilliant shades of pink and red due to anthocyanin pigments. In the eastern states poison ivy is often mistaken for another common native called Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia). Virginia creeper has a similar growth habit and beautiful autumn foliage, but typically has five leaflets rather than three. It belongs to the Grape Family (Vitaceae) along with the common wild grape (Vitis girdiana).

poioak2b.gif and to quench the rumor that it can be spread...Can Poison Oak Be Spread By Scratching?

The rash doesn't appear until after the oil is absorbed into your skin, because it is caused by your body's immune system.

So the answer is no, once you get the rash, you can't spread it around by scratching. The oil that seeps from your wounded body isn't urushiol, its secreted by your body.

The reason most people think it will spread is because of secondary infection. You touch a poison oak plant, the oil is on your hands. You rub your face, it gets there. The oil is spread. Now after a while, there isn't as much oil to spread around, so some parts get hit more heavily. What this means is, the rash appears soon is some spots, and takes a couple of days in other spots. This gives the illusion that you've spread the rash by scratching or whatever.

Just make sure you aren't getting brand-new infection from your clothing. Whenever I go hiking, as soon as I get home I put all my clothes, shoes, everything in a bag, and wash it all. Only through extreme paranoia can you avoid poison oak. The alternative is to never go anywhere fun.

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees there.

[This message was edited by cycyclist on March 23, 2003 at 08:23 AM.]