The Lil Otter has been busy!!

Dekaner

After looking at the front page I'm sorry I don't live in Wisconson.

Last 15 caches placed -

Enter & Rest Easy My Buddies (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

Circle of Friendship (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

The Esch (Netherlands) by EEG

Bluff - Whitewater Creek (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

Riverside Park #3 (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

Riverside Park #2 (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

Virtual cache of Balaton (Hungary) by Peter

Riverside Park #1 (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

Country Corner (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

The First School (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

Divided Waters (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

John Deere (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

Where the Boys Are.. (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

Hometown Musican (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

Hannah's Garden (Wisconsin) by The Lil Otter

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Upon closer inspection, I see that the otter likes micro and virtual caches. Oh well. To each their own. Personally, I like to seek out that ammo container cache way out in the boonies. When I find it, I open up that ammo box and take a big whiff of the old, dank odor inside. Indeed, it is quite invigorating. Best of all, the contents inside always seem to stay bone dry.

Never done a virtual or locationless and have no plans to do so in the future. Just personal preference. Haven't done any micros either.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Never done a virtual or locationless and have no plans to do so in the future. Just personal preference. Haven't done any micros either.

I also am not a proponent for micros and virts. I typically don't enjoy them as much as other types. I still do them because caching of any type is better than no caching at all.

There is one exception to this, however. If I am out of town, I prefer micros and virts. It allows me to cache without taking inordinate amounts of time or getting me filthy.

Since the cachers in my area like micros and I don't care for them, I recently created lots of them. This has allowed others to enjoy the micros without them piling up on my 'nearest' list. It has also had the effect of getting some people tired of doing micros and has resulted in many more 'standard' caches being hidden. (I'm sure there are many reasons for the recent increase, but I'm still going to assume the credit for the purposes of this post.)

You will note that I've also created one each offset 'puzzle' cache, virt, and locationless. I think the three of these turned out very well.

I felt a little quilty after posting this and here's why: After closer inspection of the caches placed, they were almost all virtual or microfinds. That in itself is fine, but I found that none of the caches seemed like they had a lot of detail or thought put into them.

We are starting to experience a similar problem in Syracuse, we have high quantity, but somewhat low quality caches.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I'm not interested in virtual or locationless caches, but I was surprised to see sentiment against micros. (I'm using 'against' loosely, in the sense that I'm surprised that there are people who say micros aren't their cup of tea or they don't care to hunt them.) As long as there's an actual hidden object to hunt, I'm happy, and since I live in an urban area micros often work where a large ammo box wouldn't. Is the drawback, to those who don't like them, that they're so small and easy to hide that people tend to chuck them any old where? Or that little can be put in them? Or that their size makes them unusually hard to locate unless they're hidden very intelligently?

I've only encountered three micros in the wild, but the hiding spots were very clever so I've got a pretty favorable opinion of them. Plus, my signature item actually fits in an Altoids tin.

I'm not here to defend myself nor to state why I enjoy virtuals.. but will share the reasons behind my sudden urge to share the traveling experiences I had with others through what I've done.

In the last few months I went like a locust through central and southern Wisconsin doing the caches.. I felt guilty for putting all my focus upon MY getting from others and not giving in return. I make a special point to now travel all the back roads towards a cache (in hopes of finding a special spot or off'highway history).. it's my "thank you" back to the cachers in those areas.. I've received countless letters from those that live in that area that they've never noticed it or not took the time to research what's in their back yard. I can't set normal caches in new areas.. (100's of miles from my door) but I have done micros as well.

I purposely do not give a lot of information on the sheet because half the fun is in the discovery.. is it not? I did a lot of pre-setup on several because it warranted it (see my Another Treaty Broken??)

If you lived in Wisconsin and wished to do the last 'set' of caches (virtuals and micros) that I placed on my travels.. I hope you enjoy the trip.. well worth the 250+ miles you'd have to put on your car. You just see that they are in Wisconsin...and assume that they are in one clump of the state.. they are not...

I realize that some do not enjoy learning the history of Wisconsin through virtuals.. but a lot do. I come into an area and enjoy their caches and find a secret or two to share with them.. I'm not foolish enough to think that I can maintain cache boxes properly hundreds of miles from my doorstep.. so it's the only way I have to bring another to the same spot that made my trip or sparked my thoughts..

I've been slammed only several times for my spirited adventures in Geocaching.. (mostly about how many I have done so swiftly) most think to misread my intentions.. it's not about numbers.. it's about sharing the special spots and knowing that I have kindred spirits out there that have been gracious enough to let me into their backyards. We all have a right to pick and choose which caches intrigue us.. I've chosen to focus upon Wisconsin.. even though I have been close to the MN/IA/IL borders.. I only have one out-of-state cache.. BECAUSE I really wanted to see a waterfall... ours are mostly in Northern Wisc. and once I let it be known upon the wi-geocaching.com board that I love waterfalls, I was informed on which upnorth ones had them in it..

I'm really not sure of why I am worried about what others would think of my "thank you" virtuals to the areas I visited.. all I know is that I have put on well over 4ooo miles geocaching since I started.. so call me a nut.. but don't label me as trashing this sport just because I wish to share with others on what I discover.. I love this sport and can take corrections .. if I 'slowly' added caches or cached over many more months.. perhaps you'd give me more credit or rethink your reasons behind the flurry. I'm a handful.. I have passions for this sport and am giving it 110%... so mentor me instead of thinking that someone "created a monster" that's running around loose.

On a side note.. I hate winters and will slow down come fall.. til then.. allow me the right to enjoy myself and to share my finds with others without misreading my intentions. Most don't enjoy long hikes in winters and my virtuals will be a blessing to them when they feel cooped up in the house.

I just wish that those that come up to my neck of the woods would share a cool virtual spot they noticed upon their journey through the efforts of setting up a virtual geocache..

Hope this helps clear the air on any concerns..

~The Lil Otter

Added.. I also want to state how much extra work a virtual is compared to only visiting my cache boxes monthly.. I have atleast 10-30 emails daily to go through and most I do reply to.. so I really don't have much time to sit around and tear apart other's efforts.. I'd rather be fostering goodwill, visiting with cachers that come up to my area and all around just having a great time.. I wonder why some are jaded when this is the best sport/hobby I have ever found.

[This message was edited by The Lil Otter on August 28, 2002 at 10:16 PM.]

Thanks for sharing your motivations, Lil Otter-

My inlaws are in Wi and I have been going to the same place in Central WI for 20 years and I always wanted to check out what was around, but usually got the "Pack's on, nothing to see around here, anyway" routine. Now I can say - The kids and I are off on an adventure! and we can all learn something new.

Thanks for the enthusiasm.

Bloomcru

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

...but I found that none of the caches seemed like they had a lot of detail or thought put into them.

Li’l Otter needs no defense from me. But how you can judge the quality of a Wisconsin cache from New York is amazing.

First, Otter uses an appropriate cache size and type for the subject. She has multis, difficult terrains, micros and virts. She has Tupperware and other containers filled with beanie babies if that’s important to you. All are created with thought and with an attempt to capture some environmental, historical or otherwise interesting element.

Second, she takes care in preparing the cache including contacting park rangers and similar authorities, something that is probably not done as often as it should be done by others. She places caches with concern for the impact of cachers who visit, how far they range if its not found and the varying effects of the seasons.

Third, like all of us should, she is looking for feedback and takes advice to heart about placement, materials and cache content.

Fourth, she has an enthusiasm for our hobby that I would match with anyone. She is responsible for encouraging and growing the hobby in a low populated area of the state. She took part in a recent WGA (Wisc Geocaching Assoc) meeting about how we are going to work with our state Department of Natural Resources.

Fifth, I have visited many of her caches. Some are simple, some are hard. But all were appropriate and well maintained. I suspect her efforts to maintain and support her caches exceed the efforts of almost anyone.

Sixth, I and others consider Otter a WI treasure. I saw a young GeoCacher treat her like a celebrity at our recent state picnic.

Lastly, I consider Otter a friend that if you would be lucky enough to meet you would withdraw your baseless claim.

Jeff Thorson

For if you hide the crown, even in your hearts, there he will rake for it.

King Henry V Act II Scene IV

After rereading this thread and my earlier post, I fear that I may have been misunderstood.

The point that I intended to make is that While micros and virts are not my favorite caches, I do not hate them. In fact, I happily search for them along with any other caches in my area. I also prefer them to standard caches when I am out-of-town and have little time for caching.

Please do not take my posting as an attack on Lil Otter's efforts. I think she should be applauded both for her efforts and her attitude. I think this hobby needs many more cachers just like her.

I saw her at the recent WGA picnic, but I didn't get a chance to meet her. I think that she was the first to find all 18 cached that were hidden for the event. I would concur that she was a celebrity at the picnic!

Sigh. I just wish I had the time (and energy!) that she has to go hunting! One of these days I'm going to get out of SE WI and hunt for some of hers!

Just don't try to call her cell phone. She might not answer... icon_biggrin.gif

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

I saw her at the recent WGA picnic, but I didn't get a chance to meet her. I think that she was the first to find all 18 cached that were hidden for the event. I would concur that she was a celebrity at the picnic!

Sigh. I just wish I had the time (and energy!) that she has to go hunting! One of these days I'm going to get out of SE WI and hunt for some of hers!

Just don't try to call her cell phone. She might not answer... icon_biggrin.gif

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

I also don't feel that I need to defend Lil Otter but I can tell you, all her caches no matter what type have some interesting point or are in an out the way place that most people probably would never visit. We have lived in this area for a long time and I am amazed at the places she has found and the history she has dug up about these areas. We have really enjoyed the places she has taken us to. We have also spent time cachng with her after first meeting her at our Wisconsin picnic. Everyone in the area should try some of these caches. She certainly has become a force for Geocaching and I hope she will keep up her enthusiasm. I wish I had the time to spend at this wonderful activity that she does. Thanks for everything Lil Otter and keep at it. icon_smile.gif

I also don't feel that I need to defend Lil Otter but I can tell you, all her caches no matter what type have some interesting point or are in an out the way place that most people probably would never visit. We have lived in this area for a long time and I am amazed at the places she has found and the history she has dug up about these areas. We have really enjoyed the places she has taken us to. We have also spent time cachng with her after first meeting her at our Wisconsin picnic. Everyone in the area should try some of these caches. She certainly has become a force for Geocaching and I hope she will keep up her enthusiasm. I wish I had the time to spend at this wonderful activity that she does. Thanks for everything Lil Otter and keep at it. icon_smile.gif

Lil' Otter's ability to lose stuff on the trail is contagious. I was caching with her at the recent WGA picnic, and managed to leave my newest GPSR behind at one of the caches ('DOH!).

Anyhow, I finally hunted a couple of her virts last weekend. One I found very interesting, the other didn't thrill me, but admittedly it was of historical interest.

I am also excited that she placed 4 virts and one micro within a few miles of my house. Where I live, caches are few and far between. I normally have to drive about 20 miles to hunt one cache, so I am apreciative of her efforts in this area. I can do some caching next weekend without burning 10 gallons of gas!

I enjoy all sorts of caches. I am a big fan of the traditional ammo-container-under-fallen-tree style. Micros are fun, and I have enjoyed many virtuals. To me, they simply offer the sport variety.

It looks like I jumped the gun here, starting a discussion that I knew nothing about.

Lil Otter, I'm sorry - no offense intended.

Not that it's an excuse, but I feel like I've been dealing with a lot of caches lately that people have just thrown up without a lot of care, most of them just dropped somewhere out in the woods.

I hope that if I ever get our your way that I can hunt some of the caches above.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I am truly amazed at the ability of Lil Otter to first of all, find as many as she did in such a short time, and second, to be such an inspiration to some of us newbies out here.

I too was at the Wisconsin picnic. I am amazed at how one person can fire up a large number of people. Let the caches be placed, virtual or otherwise. Let's have some fun and learn something in the meantime.

Can you think of any other sport or game that combines the outdoors with the history lessons that can't be taught in a classroom?

Let me know.

I just had to get away and not worry about what others thought of my geocaching.. the best time of my life just happened.. I spent the last 8 days on the road (put on exactly 1977 miles) touring Upper Wisconsin geocaches before hunting time started. I was amazed each and every day at what I was led to and what I discovered.. how often in a lifetime can you state that in a week.. you saw two bald eagles.. a black bear.. a black courgar (puma)?, a coyote and.. and so many beautiful spots.. and all the waterfalls I have been missing.. all thanks to other cachers that wanted to share..

I've been told to conformslow downget a manstop setting caches up.. etc but heck.. I just hope you all enjoy the new set of finds that I will be placing now that I'm back home with internet access.. I've done mostly small tupperware containers now.. a few virtuals.. but if ever there is a cache of mine that isn't fit.. please email me.. I now am willing to drive up 100's of miles to maintain caches I've placed in the last week. I gave alot of thought to all the feedback both public and private that had swamped me since someone noticed my actions/activities..

I went with the intention of just doing caches and not placing any.. but that just couldn't happen.. there's too much in Wisconsin .. something amazing around each turn to discover..

I'm glad to be back home.. and glad that this topic of me might end soon.. This is truly a sport to me.. I'm now a lean mean 120# otter (smiles) so lighten up and enjoy and let me fade back into the woods (smiles).. this public crap kills me trying to explain my nature and my love of this sport..

~The Lil Otter