Harmful Stashes

Guest MrPAINT

Guest MrPAINT

Hey all, I'm very new to this hobby and havent went on a stash hunt as of yet. Me and a friend is getting into this(GPS has already been ordered hehe). I have one question to ask, its about Opening the stash thats in like a non see-through container. With the loonys in this world it seems to me this could be asking for a Stash Pipe Bomb type device. I know, sounds crazy, but out in the woods somewhere and you have people rushing to find and open a "stash of goodies" people would open just about anything after traveling and searching for the "prize". Has there been any problems along this line(pipe bombs? Snakes? anything else bad?)?

I know this is a young hobby. I think i read its 6 months old. But I think we need safety rules to prevent this type nightmare from happening.......Say like only See-Through containers as a idea. maybe this is just talk about something that ill never happen. I just want others veiws on this.

MrPAINT

good point..

alought some people use those huge buckets, i dont know of anything thats see through and equivalent size..any ideas?

if you are really worried, you can visit only caches on here that have comments from other people who have already been there... goto the "seek cache" page or whatnot, there's a link to comments at the bottom i think...

I personally use tupperware containers that are see-through to give people an idea what's inside, but the zip loc bags tend to obscure everything inside anyway.

The way I figure it, kooks can get their jollies doing things that are a lot easier to arrange. Hiking miles through the forest to booby trap a cache is a lot harder than bombing a mailbox or sticking a needle in a coin slot. Not to say it will ever happen (knock on wood), but it's pretty unlikely.

Jeremy

Guest MrPAINT

Cool Zzyzx, Yeah, I'm going to get into this a bit, it seems like a good way to waste a day.....Even got a friend into it. Spread the word, More people that know about this the more stashes they'll be hehe. Soon as my friend gets his GPS we are going to place 2 stashes in my area.

Painter

(I hope people like pirated software hehe)

Guest Captain Ahab

I can see how this could evolve into something bad.

Perhaps the "custodian" of said stash should give people the "needed" info right before a trek.

In other words you may e-mail me about the stash I have in mid-Missouri.

I would return to you a local information location (Easily changeable) to find the (permanent)stash coordinates. This way someone trying to mass information "too much volume for me!" would find it pointless as the info coordinates may change. This way I have a record of who has been there and you keep the stash location info private in the interests of security.

That way if there is a problem the cops have a solid line and the dude is in irons.

What do you think Gang?

By the way I am willing to be the guinea pig on a trial basis.

Anyone needing the Mid-Missouri coordinates of my first site e-mail me.

My auto responder will send you the critical info.

Everyone is welcome to try it out.

Captain Ahab

Capt_Ahab@bigfoot.com

Guest Captain Ahab

Terrain Difficulty 4-5 Steep Hills, Steep entrance requires climbing

8 Ft+ down a 3ft dia.

chimney like hole. Some may need saftey gear.

Stash Name: The Sheer Pit

Bring Each: Three flashlights, Hard Hat, Knee Pads, Cell Phone, A

Partner, Bag Lunch.

Tell a freind where you are going and when you expect to return About

1-1/2 to 2 hours total at the park.

You may want to stop at the office (on your way) and tell them where

you are going. (Saftey First)

The SPRING Island Cave its open has no locks or gates.

Your climb in maybe difficult it drops 8+ feet but has plenty of hand

holds and is easy to go slow.

I have done it several times no equipment not scary.

If you weigh 300 lbs or more it may be difficult to get in, I weigh

250 however and had no problems.

Follow the cavern to the waters edge look for the tallest rock fall.

Your treasure is underneath the tallest rock fall.

Please be certain to hide the stash back very well as the cave is

visited by many would be vandals.

PS take some trash out with you!!

Paranoia.

By the way...unless the container was clear AND EMPTY, you still couldn't know for sure what was in it...and since we tend to HIDE the containers, how could you be sure the sticks and bark that cover it aren't booby trapped.

Oh...I heard about a gang that is breaking into people's houses, and booby trapping the doors, so you might want to get clear doors for your house.

Really, I read that somewhere.

I wrote it down, then I read it.

(props to Howie Mandel)

quote:
Originally posted by MrPAINT:

Hey all, I'm very new to this hobby and havent went on a stash hunt as of yet. Me and a friend is getting into this(GPS has already been ordered hehe). I have one question to ask, its about Opening the stash thats in like a non see-through container. With the loonys in this world it seems to me this could be asking for a Stash Pipe Bomb type device. I know, sounds crazy, but out in the woods somewhere and you have people rushing to find and open a "stash of goodies" people would open just about anything after traveling and searching for the "prize". Has there been any problems along this line(pipe bombs? Snakes? anything else bad?)?

I know this is a young hobby. I think i read its 6 months old. But I think we need safety rules to prevent this type nightmare from happening.......Say like only See-Through containers as a idea. maybe this is just talk about something that ill never happen. I just want others veiws on this.

MrPAINT

There are nearly 30,000 caches out there. Conservatively figure 10 visits each and that's a lot of finds without a reported incident. Not that I'm saying it can't or won't happen. There are some wackos out there, but so far, so good.

The chances are extremely small. You're probably more likely to get struck by lightning on the

way to the cache.

I think someone truly intent on committing an act of terrorism is going to try and impact as many people as possible. Why bother with a nerd out in the woods with maybe a tag along or two. If your going to worry about a lone wolf wacko then you better start watching out for all those places you can place a trip wire. Don't be so paranoid people.