Formatting log entries

Guest Eoghan

Guest Eoghan

What options are open for formatting log entries? Jeremy's added the ability to upload photos, but it doesn't look like any html tags work. Can you use UBB code?

Personally I hope it never ends up with indiscriminate html usage. Nothing more annoying than blinking, multi colored, 72 pt garbage. But I wouldn't mind a means of using quotes or line breaks.

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

Jeremy's added the ability to upload photos, but it doesn't look like any html tags work... But I wouldn't mind a means of using quotes or line breaks.

For pictures I suggest you upload the picture to the cache details page then you can use the following, for example:

4272_1200.jpg

For line breaks use

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Ron Streeter

I think Eoghan was talking about not being able to use html within the FIND log entries, not the cache description.

To my knowledge you can NOT use html in the space where you log your find.

Some users DO use html in their cache descriptions. For those who do not, the cache approval team sometimes will make a bulleted list or at least put in paragraph breaks to make the cache description a little easier to read.

ron

Guest jeremy

No html is allowed in log entries. I am considering using UBB Code in the logs like here in the forums. I still need to work out the ASP to do this.

If anyone has VBScript that does this already I'd love to get a copy. It's basically doing a lot of string manipulation but could take me a while to implement.

There are now HTML tags allowed in the titles and the contact names anymore. This was due to the fact that descriptions are downloaded to the GPS units and cause errors.

I have noticed some log entries on older caches are getting a bit long (and therefore load slower on slow modems). I may break them out to only show the last 5 and list them on a separate page as well.

Jeremy

Guest Peter Scholtz

Quite right! Funny how ones brain fills in words it expects/wants to see.

It's been easy to experiment with html with the cache details page since you can edit it.

We can't edit the logs though.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest jeremy

n't edit the logs though.

It's called Lazy Coder Syndrome (LCS). I seem to have come down with this lately. I'll try to let folks edit their logs soon.

Jeremy

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

It's called Lazy Coder Syndrome (LCS)

I seem to go through a number of stages for each project:

1. Fearful Coder Syndrome [FCS] (new work)

2. Hyper Coder Syndrome [HCS] (really got into it)

3. Afterglow Coder Syndrome [ACS] (it's done, and I'll retry the same functions over and over because it's so cool)

4. afterParty Coder Syndrome [PCS] (self enforced time off between projects)

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za