ATV's with GPS

notec

I really wanted one until i started thinking about caching, sort of hard to take the gauge cluster off of the ATV to get to a cache. I will stick with my Vista or Yellow on a handle bar mount. Besides, it is cheaper that way and if it breaks, you don't have to mail an entire 4 wheeler to Garmin! The rest of the Honda pasted every other need I would have.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

It's a pretty basic gpsr from what i go out of the article. For the exta cabbage they get for the gpsr unit you could set yourself up with a sweet handheld with a RAM mount ac cable and pc cord. That's a nice utility quad but for the life of me I can't figure out why Honda put drum brakes on it. Honda makes great sports quads but when it comes to utility quads Polaris is the way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

quote:
Originally posted by Lerch:

Honda makes great sports quads but when it comes to utility quads Polaris is the way to go.

Heh, I thought it was http://www.umcmu.com/04grizz.htm;)

I agree with the above that you don't buy an ATV because it has a built in GPS that is not fully featured like the beauties we use.

_http://www.mi-geocaching.org_

Caching with a clue....

You really can't go wrong with any brand of quad today. They are all so close in quality. I just prefer Polaris. The two biggest reason are A.Made in America B.They are overbuilt and will take a beating.

Can't find it on magellangps.com right now, but you can buy "Magellan SporTrak Map ATV Special Value Pack", which s basically SportTrak Map + bike mount (I suppose it can be mounted on an ATV, at least the cover picture shows one) + data/power cable. I was recently buying one at onlinemarine.com for $232 - sent it to a friend who will use it for biking, so no ATV references...

Czech caching in US.

quote:
Originally posted by Bender:

In our local bike shop, they call those Polaris ATVs "Repairis". I totally agree with them on that one.

Bender

Searching, for the lost Xanadu

I know at least a hundred people that own atv's. And out of those hundred guys the only ones that bash Polaris are the guys that don't own or ever ridden one. The same could be said for must products. For example: The morons that bash GPSR brands. I dare say that 99% of them never even used another brand long enough to form an educated opinion.

Oh geeez, here we go.

Ok guys, meet me in the ATV forums, I use the same username. I also wonder if Lerch is a QuadFather, I don't think so but he would know what I'm talking about.

First off, Polaris is no longer made entirely in the US.

Second, Polaris has had and used the same design on their sportsman model for the past many years and have not changed it. So to say that they are leading the way is a joke because they are following the leaders who are Yamaha and others.

I do agree that they are so close in comparison that its hard to judge one from the other and they all have their own merits but I know what my dealer is sold out of and what he has plenty of too.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

HeeHee! I was wondering how long it was going to take before I got a reaction from someone.

The bottom line though is, "Who cares what you ride", as long as it works for you.

Going back to the Honda, does one bring the home computer to the bike to upload/download tracks or just bring the bike to the computer? Seems like a built-in gpsr would have it's limitations.

"Every cache has it's rightful place."

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Oh geeez, here we go.

Ok guys, meet me in the ATV forums, I use the same username. I also wonder if Lerch is a QuadFather, I don't think so but he would know what I'm talking about.

First off, Polaris is no longer made entirely in the US.

Second, Polaris has had and used the same design on their sportsman model for the past many years and have not changed it. So to say that they are leading the way is a joke because they are following the leaders who are Yamaha and others.

I do agree that they are so close in comparison that its hard to judge one from the other and they all have their own merits but I know what my dealer is sold out of and what he has plenty of too.

_http://www.mi-geocaching.org_

Caching with a clue....

Nope, not a QuadFather...Never said Polaris leads the way as far as technoligy goes...Don't care what you ride as long as you ride....True,Polaris arent as super high tech as Honda's Rincon with it's automotive transmission and all but when I'm out in the woods up to my headlights in mud I count on three things: My Polaris,My 26" 589 m/s tires and the other brand riders saying "I'm gonna try it. Will someone pull me out when I don't make it?" icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif What was this topic originally about anyway? Ride on fellas!

quote:
Originally posted by notec:

Hey I didnt post this to debate one ATVs superiority over another.They are putting them on the bikes so people dont get lost....not to goecache.Go bicker in someone else thread!!!

If it doesn't hurt your not doing it right

Geez... calm down knowone is bickering. we're just talking atv's. This thread is a prime example how guys with atv's talk about their atv's. Nothing serious just some ribbing going on here and there. tongue.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ZoomZoom:

Relax man! I'm not here to bash anything. Anybody that owns a quad should feel lucky if you ask me. What's wrong with getting lost anyway, I do it all the time. [icon_smile.gif]

"Every cache has it's rightful place."

I think I get lost more with my gps turned on while I'm riding than I do if I forget it. I think it has something to do with not taking a mental notes of your surroundings while the gps is on. Ether that or I'm just plain stupid. icon_biggrin.gif