Iridium Flares Revisited

TEAM 360

Well! I can't believe my luck. I'm going to have to check this out.

After visiting the heavens-above website and entering my home coordinates, my back deck is 0.0km from a -8 flare tomorrow morning! icon_razz.gif

Unfortunately, it means I'll have to get up at 5am on a Sunday morning but I gotta try this!

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

I saw it in the late 50's when there wasn't much space junk. (Sputnik 1 was 1957). ALso the color, especially the merald green before it went out. How long does a super nova take to collapse. Can it be that short 5-7 seconds?

Alan

How about this - it was a meteor that was coming right toward you (generally), so it didn't appear to move. The changing colors due to changing heat and the content of the meteor (like copper to make it green). Just a shot in the dark icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by SamLowrey on August 23, 2003 at 10:01 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ag:

So if you are the flare senter that means it is straight up correct?

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

I was wondering the same thing, but I knew that somehow didn't sound right. Then I noticed the "Azimuth" and "Altitude" entries. I don't know why they don't use something like "direction" rather than "azimuth" except the latter sounds more like jargon because (unless I'm wrong) it is the same thing with 0 being North and 180 being South, etc.... The altitude also, I will presume, is the angle starting with 0 for the horizon and 90 being right above. I haven't confirmed any of this, so take it fwiw.

quote:
After visiting the heavens-above website and entering my home coordinates, my back deck is 0.0km from a -8 flare tomorrow morning!

That's what I said yesterday and I can't say enough how glad I am I got my little butt out of bed this morning!

I still can't believe my luck, the first time I check out heaven-above site, a -8 mag (very bright) flare is going to happen the very next morning, I'm 0.0km from the center, and it's at an altitude high enough to be above the trees. Add to that clear skys this morning and I had the best introduction to Iridium Flares you could possibly ask for.

At the appointed time, I'm standing on my deck looking in the proper quandrant of the sky and admiring all the stars.

I see the satellite approaching as a steady, yet dim light.

Just as it gets to where I figure the azimuth was specifying and just as my watch alarm was going off, the light got quickly brighter to where it was actually much brighter than any star/planet I've ever seen, and then it dimmed out again and I watched it go on it's way.

What an intro! icon_biggrin.gif

If you are just checking out this topic and are wondering if it's worth the effort to see a flare, I highly recommend you do it at least once!

I will be checking out the possibilitis of seeing another one on my camping trips!

Well I went to look for my first 1 tonight. but I missed it, and I think I looked the wrong way.

The Azimuth said 354 degrees. but the map showed more of 97 degrees. I tried to look both ways but no luck. will have to try agn tomorrow night. perhaps better luck. I did see a bright light but as I watched it I soon heard the roar of the airplane motor icon_rolleyes.gif. oh well.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

Scout65 asked:

quote:
Just curious, how long would you estimate that it lasted?

I likened the flare to about the same affect and time duration as a lighthouse shining it's light on you.

You can see it coming, it gets bright, and then dims.

I suppose the lighthouse analogy isn't too far off, it's just that the light source is passing parallel to you instead of staying in one spot and if you don't happen to be where it's pointed, then you don't see it.

I did try to see a -6 in the day but it was too close to the sun, at least for my eyes.

BOOM! Just saw one tonight! Man, it was too cool! From Iridium sat 84, a level -3, it appeared from nowhere, slowly fading in, and got brighter than any star in the sky (except for Mars), moving slowly north. The whole thing lasted a good 8 seconds. I felt a little like Charleton Heston as Moses:

"Let a light appear in the Heavens, I COMMAND IT!"

Man, that was way cool...

Just last Friday morning, there was a -9 whose center was 1.4 km from where I work, followed 3 minutes later by a -2 centered 24.8 km away. By the time it was time to go outside and watch, I had 4 people with me wanting to know what we were doing and how to find out more. I just barely caught the tail end of the -9, but Buthc saw it all. I did see all the -2, and it was a lot brighter than I had anticipated. Had a great time and now we keep an eye on the website for more flares so we can go outside to see them.

I've been watching flares for about 8 months now. I find it interesting to notice that the times and directions change with the seasons. This time of year at my location, they are mostly right after 2300 or very early am and in the western sky.

I caught a daytime flare last week, that was kinda cool.

what is an iridium flare?? is it a solar flare? Iridium is the densest element BTW.

An Iridium flare happens when one of the Iridium satellites reflects the light from the sun back to the earth.

If your standing at the right place at the right time, It can get brighter than anything else in the sky for a few moments.

I've tracked satelites overhead on my farm when camping, as it's very, very far from any city lights, and know of one in particular that I can see every 37 minutes as it passes overhead. I have seen iridium flares from this satelite on several occasions, and also seen the International Space Station quite brightly as is passes over. As for the "green flash", I was able to see that one time several years ago in California. Here on the plains, there is also a phenomenon called "looming" that generally occurs early in the mornings on really cold days. It's basically a mirage that makes it appear as if the horizon curves upward. I have seen cities over 100 miles away appear as if they are up at 30 degrees in the sky. Occasionally, this effect occurs in the evenings, as well. There are many nights that I can park south of town, and see cars on I-135, which is over 25 miles away from me, and should be hidden by the curvature of the earth. If you're ever on the plains just before sunrise on a really cold day, check it out. If you're not local, it's hard to realize what you're seeing, but on truly impressive displays, you'll see entire cities appear as if they are floating in the sky, 20 to 40 degrees above the horizon. Move a few feet either direction and they can disappear completely. Very interesting to see.

I've tracked satelites overhead on my farm when camping, as it's very, very far from any city lights, and know of one in particular that I can see every 37 minutes as it passes overhead. I have seen iridium flares from this satelite on several occasions, and also seen the International Space Station quite brightly as is passes over. As for the "green flash", I was able to see that one time several years ago in California. Here on the plains, there is also a phenomenon called "looming" that generally occurs early in the mornings on really cold days. It's basically a mirage that makes it appear as if the horizon curves upward. I have seen cities over 100 miles away appear as if they are up at 30 degrees in the sky. Occasionally, this effect occurs in the evenings, as well. There are many nights that I can park south of town, and see cars on I-135, which is over 25 miles away from me, and should be hidden by the curvature of the earth. If you're ever on the plains just before sunrise on a really cold day, check it out. If you're not local, it's hard to realize what you're seeing, but on truly impressive displays, you'll see entire cities appear as if they are floating in the sky, 20 to 40 degrees above the horizon. Move a few feet either direction and they can disappear completely. Very interesting to see.

Very interesting. I wonder if this phenomenon accounts for people seeing mirages?

I've tracked satelites overhead on my farm when camping, as it's very, very far from any city lights, and know of one in particular that I can see every 37 minutes as it passes overhead.  I have seen iridium flares from this satelite on several occasions, and also seen the International Space Station quite brightly as is passes over.  As for the "green flash", I was able  to see that one time several years ago in California.  Here on the plains, there is also a phenomenon called "looming" that generally occurs early in the mornings on really cold days.  It's basically a mirage that makes it appear as if the horizon curves upward.  I have seen cities over 100 miles away appear as if they are up at 30 degrees in the sky.  Occasionally, this effect occurs in the evenings, as well.  There are many nights that I can park south of town, and see cars on I-135, which is over 25 miles away from me, and should be hidden by the curvature of the earth.  If you're ever on the plains just before sunrise on a really cold day, check it out.  If you're not local, it's hard to realize what you're seeing, but on truly impressive displays, you'll see entire cities appear as if they are floating in the sky, 20 to 40 degrees above the horizon.  Move a few feet either direction and they can disappear completely.  Very interesting to see.

Very interesting. I wonder if this phenomenon accounts for people seeing mirages?

Yup, most certainly.

After all these years I finally managed to see one tonight.

I checked the Heavens Above website a week ago and found out there would be an Iridium Flare tonight at 6:51 pm. I had a meeting at 7:00 pm, but since they can't start without me, I figured I was safe to sneak away.

The flare was a -8 intensity. Very bright and very cool to see. I think the coolest part was just knowing where to be and when to be there in order to see it.

Oh, and the other cool/weird part....the coordinates took me to my sister's front yard. What a coinkidink! :D

Iridium flares are something we look for everytime we are out with the telescopes. My favorite one was one that I saw in mid afternoon. Not that common, took some work to find a place near home devoid of houses and trees, but seeing the 10 second flare was so worth the time.

I also found pointing out flares during public observing sessions, is a great WOW factor.

I've seen quite a few since i began looking back around 2003 and still think they are cool to see. People are sure surprised when you tell them where to look and then it appears moments later.

By the way, in southeast Texas, the ISS was bright in the sky tonight at a -2.4 magnitude. It came up from the nw, went by at 84 degrees (pretty much straight up), and was visible for 5 minutes plus. Very cool to watch indeed!

We've enjoyed watching out for iridium flares too.

You can have a bit of fun by telling friends that you'll be receiving an incoming message from the Big Giant Head in 30 secs. Take up the appropriate stance as demonstrated by Harry in 'Third Rock from the Sun' (i.e. standing, knees slightly bent in demi plié, both palms upwards and facing forward). Tell them if thet're on the right wavelength they might just be able to see the message being pulsed through to you, just up there, in that bit of the sky...

MrsB :D

As a long-time astronomer (50+ years), one of my "sub-hobbies" is observing satellites....so I've seen literally hundreds of Iridium flares. You don't really need to travel to the central path to see 'em - if HA says you can see one you should be able to from the coordinate you input. Same effect - it just won't be quite as bright, but even relatively 'dim' ones are usualy a wow-zer to those who haven't had the experience. LOTS of head-games you can play on friends, with a little imagination! *heh heh*

BTW & FWIW, the flare (reflection) is actually off one of the satellite's 3 antennae. They're somewhat odd - I've seen 'em described as about like a normal house door in size & shape. For anyone so inclined, here's a link to the HA (Heavens Above) page that's been referenced several times. I'm sort of a 'charter member' there (my observatory is in their database), & I check it usu. several times a week. Posting it becuz there's lots of other interesting sights & phenomena you can learn about there, & observe for yourself.

_HEAVENS ABOVE LINK_

Tickles & Gigglez category: The 'current rage' is spotting the $100K toolbag that lady astronaut (sump'n sump'n Piper) lost on the last STS mission back around last Thanksgiving. It's a pretty easy binocular object.....I have 4 sightings so far.

Have fun - hope ya see something you never have before! (Check my sig-line) :(

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

Unbeknownst to most people, there's a whole 'fleet' of spare satellites (including the Iridiums) that are 'parked' & on standby status....and they can be maneuvered into position (usually it's the function gear that goes bad, not the propulsion/nav system) to replace dead or defunct units. Standard stuff - happens all the time. The Russki unit - Cosmos 2251 - was already a derelict....and incidentally didn't have a maneuvering system.

Oops....got an RSS feed while I's typing that. Sez Iridium has already taken action to minimize any loss of service. Also: "Within the next 30 days, Iridium expects to move one of its in-orbit spare satellites into the network constellation to permanently replace the lost satellite," the statement said.

Timely! :)

~*

I also found pointing out flares during public observing sessions, is a great WOW factor.
Even knowing about a regular satellite pass to point out during an observing session is fun.

I was at a star party once and the host who was pointing out the different stars mentioned that U.S. satellites go north to south and that Russian satellites go south to north. Everyone went "Ooooo" and the guy said he was just kidding. It was a good joke, though.

I've always thought that this would be useful stuff to know if you're planning on starting your own cult. "Behold, I will make a sign appear in the heavens", you say, while surreptitously counting down on your stopwatch. "I command our deity to send us a signal of light!". Flash goes the flare, and people are rushing to press money and/or other "favours" upon you. :unsure: