Got Opinel?

Anton

Hi there,

I enjoy using old technology that still does the job: analog radios, fountain pens, and simple pocketknives. You can keep your Swiss Army Knives and Leatherman Pocketools.

Do you have an Opinel pocketknife? The Opinel has a very simple, yet elegant design, with a locking ring and a pearwood handle. There's one in the Museum of Modern Art in New York just for that reason. It's a great knife for camping and picnics. At a price under $10, you might even put one in a cache!

The Opinel Pocketknife - a French tradition

http://www.sav.org/e/opinel.html

http://www.tiac.net/users/knives/Opinel.htm

http://www.bavaria.com/entertainment/frenchday_us.html

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

Odd, for such a supposed great kinfe, but I didn't see a corkscrew on it. Now I can carry this knife and a corkscrew too; but I didn't see any scissors. I guess I can carry scissors, knife and corkscrew wherever I go, but I didn't see a screwdriver. I guess I can carry a screwdriver, knife, corkscrew and scissors wherever I go, but I didn't see any tweezers on it either. I GUESS I can carry scissors, knife, corkscrew, screwdriver and tweezers wherever I go, but where is the can opener?

Well I GUESS I can carry a knife, scissors, corkscrew, tweezers and screwdriver wherever I go, but where is the bottle opener? I guess I can carry a kinfe, screwdriver...Aw hell, I'll just stick with my Victorino

Hi, I can't live without my Opinel, the only times I don't have it with me is when it is forbidden (on planes etc.).

Opening a bottle of wine with it is not easy but can be done icon_smile.gif

Normally the handles are beech, not pearwood.

------------

"Yo no busco..., encuentro" (Pablo Picasso)

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'll just stick with my Victorino

Nothing like brand loyalty to get people started, eh? Okay, let's say I keep a Vic in the glovebox in my truck...for the occasional uplanned bottle of wine. (Gee, when does that ever happen?) And yes, I have a Leatherman minitool in my desk.

Of course, an Opinel doesn't compete with the Swissies and Mini-tools for those times when what you really need is a toolbox. An Opinel is more about style, and less about function. Can you tell me you really don't like them? For what it is, at $8-9 dollars, you gotta love 'em.

But for the techno-geeks, you know, those nerdy guys who love Palms and GPS receivers, I'd still recommend a solid single-blade pocketknife over a Swissie. Want to see what I'm talking about? Go here and have a peek:

http://www.benchmade.com

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

Originally posted by Joske:

Normally the handles are beech, not pearwood.

QUOTE]

Well, I dunno. Pearwood is how they describe the handles on the Opinel website. See for yourself:

OPINEL - Savoie's famous knife

"The Opinel is a world-famous knife made in Savoie. Traditionally, its blade was made of carbon steel, its handle from pear wood or ash. It is made in many sizes, and in models with the famed Opinel blade-locking mechanism."

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

quote:
Well, I dunno. Pearwood is how they describe the handles on the Opinel website. See for yourself:

OPINEL - Savoie's famous knife

there is a mistake on that website, the Opinels I own and most of those I have seen until now have beech handles. On this site http://www.opinel-musee.com/idx_couteau.htm you can see, when you move your pointer over the handle ('manche' in french), that it is made of beech ('hêtre' in french).

I never doubted about it however, I'm in the timber business icon_smile.gif

------------

"Yo no busco..., encuentro" (Pablo Picasso)

I have had an Opinel for about 25 years and there's only one problem with it - I keep losing the darn thing! I bet I have lost that knife ten times, but I always seem to find it again.

It's a great knife and nobody else I know of owns one. Isn't it fun to be unique?

I, too am a big believer in a single blade locking knife. I never had an Opinel but for 10 bucks you can't go wrong. Usually I carry a Spyderco Delica and a Leatherman Supertool but I lost both of them! DOH! Now I just carry a CRKT K.I.S.S. It sucks. I don't recommend them.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I'm sure the Opinel is a fine knife and I may even buy one. The price is certainly right and posters here attest to its quality. However,if I'm only going to be carrying one knife around (as I do) its going to be a Victoranox Swiss Army Knife. Its just a lot more versatile. I find myself using it constantly and I'm often approached in work by colleagues looking to borrow my knife for some reason or another. Among the features I use most frequently (in descending order) are:

knife blade

screwdriver

bottle opener

toothpick

scissors

corkscrew

tweezers

pliers

can opener

pipe reamer

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

However,if I'm only going to be carrying one knife around (as I do) its going to be a Victoranox Swiss Army Knife.

Only carry ONE knife? Well, there's the problem. I carry the little Vic on my keychain. As for friends and colleagues "borrowing" my knife...well, I make a lot of friends when they get to use the Opinel. Everyone asks about it because most have never seen one. Some remember they used to have one, but lost it, and didn't know how to get another one. I take care of that, and make a new friend, or a maybe a better one.

But more to the point, I mentioned Opinel pocketknives here on the Forums because I think they make a really good geocache prize. You can get a smaller one for around $6-8. Did you know they come in about 8 different sizes, staring with a keychain size, and going up to a very large store demonstrator that's about a foot long. The most common sizes are Nos. 6 and 8. Most of the Williams-Sonoma cooking stores carry the No.8, for example.

Anton

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

I have had friends with these knives in the past and they kept their blades very sharp. I didn't realize there was such a love society around the darn things, though. icon_smile.gif

FWIW, I've been buying knives from Mike at http://www.bestknives.com for several years. I've bought about 20 knives and tools from him and his prices are very reasonable. Mike is happy to dispense useful advice if you don't know what you are looking for and he will even answer the phone and talk to you. He carries a lot of brands and the web site has lots of pictures and useful information. It doesn't look like he carries the Opinel, though. Currently, I am using a CUDA EDC for my "every day" knife and I'm very happy with it.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Oh ya we're talking about a single blade pocket knife.cool2.gif

I really like all the one hand openers. Kershaw Ken Onions. Spyderco. Benchmade.

The one I carry the most is a Boker auto opener. Nice shape and feel.

I have about a hundred different knives. Each one has it's own style and history. Though I don't think any specific knife is the best.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Some of you have been debating single blades versus swiss army knife or multi-tools. As a long time Scoutmaster, I recommend that parents buy their Scouts a multi-tool, like the original Leatherman. It is lighter than some of the more recent tools, and has just enough tools.

I find that the pliers and screw drivers are very useful, and used as much or more than a blade. It helps us.....be prepared.

Being a Chef I use knives for a living. And I only use the best to make my living. And these knives are not American made. I have some knives made by the same company that makes the Swiss Army Knive, and they are a fine knive. But when it comes to pocket knives, its not brand loyalty but a rememberance an allegiance to Camillus.

http://www.camillusknives.com/

Being originally from the Salt City I prefer Camillus knives. And the good old USA owes a lot to their knives. They are the maker of the Official Boy Scout Knive since 1947 and the maker of some real fine Combat Knives. Swiss Army knives with all those little gadgets will not kill a man. icon_eek.gif

I will have to look at your link for the knives in France, they could be good. I've been using a French Knive made in France since 1965 and it still works. As to the Swiss Army Knives they are more of a gadget device than a practical tool.

I've spent over 40 years in the wilds, hunting, fishing etc. and never have had a need for a Swiss Army Knive. A single blade will do all that I need.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

I've carried a Case XX canoe model 2-bladed pocket knife in my left pocket for decades. It is very slim, with rounded ends that make it look just like an Old Town Molitor canoe. You can get it with a canoe etched on the blade. Open, it has a big blade and a smaller one pivoting out the other end. I keep them both razor sharp, especially the smaller one. Being slim, it is very compact in the pocket for the working size of the unit. I'm never without it, but every time I may leave it out of my pocket for some reason, such as changing clothes, I invariably have need of it within minutes. Same goes for the slim 10-ft tape measure I have also carried in that pocket for decades. I've worn out a couple of those. Lost the knife once too, years ago, and imediately replaced it with an identical one. The first one cost $5. I think the replacement was $8.50. They're about $35 or more now. I've seen, in knife catalogs, clones in that same canoe shape but made by other than Case.

But more to the point, I mentioned Opinel pocketknives here on the Forums because I think they make a really good geocache prize. You can get a smaller one for around $6-8

Are you out of your ever lovin' mind? Knives are not allowed in caches!!!!

Yeah. Things have changed a bit in the last three years, haven't they? :D