what other types of hobbies do you have besides geocaching ??

Guest boatbubblles

Guest boatbubblles

what other types of hobbies do you have besides geocaching??

we have only been geocaching since nov 2001

so this is a very new hobby for us.

we go 4 wheeling and horse back riding

(we hope to use these to find more caches)

boating and fishing and hunting

save a cow... drink milk

[This message has been edited by boatbubblles (edited 09 December 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by boatbubblles:

what other types of hobbies do you have besides geocaching??

Apart from the regular type things: biking, fishing, golf, etc., geocaching has been responsible for turning me on to hiking the back-country trails, recording the GPS tracks/routes/waypoints, and downloading them to my PC mapping software program. I just purchased a pair of snowshoes with the intention of doing these same trails this Winter. All I need now is snow. Never thought I'd see the day that I was wishing for snow.

Happy Caching, Olar

6323_500.gif

quote:
Originally posted by boatbubblles:

olar we got a foot of snow in utah over the thanksgiving weekend !!!!!

I don't knew if I should be jealous or symphathetic. We were golfing here on the weekend. I may have to trade in my snowshoes for a new big Bertha driver if this weather keeps up.

Guest Gliderguy

Other than Geocaching:

Flying Gliders: www.ssa.org

Motorcycling: www.bmwmoa.org

Computers in general, with a little hunting, fishing, mountain biking and camping when I can work them in to my schedule. If I wind up in an ATV friendly area ever again I will do that some more, too.

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 26 November 2001).]

Guest Tomebug

Scrapbooking

Reading

Snowboarding

Camping

Travel

Moo Yea Do

Riding my Ninja 500

I have made a scrapbook of all my Geocaching finds and hides. Only 25 finds so far, but I'm working on it! I'll bring it to the Orange County picnic next month.

Guest Jake.Hazelip

Other hobbies, huh?

Reading, writing, off-road cycling, hiking, tickling my dog until she bites me, rollerblading, website design, movies, and well...other "stuff".

-Jake

Guest botrytisfree

We dig plants. Erwinia loves to garden, and keeps the house and yard looking "flowery" all the time. We like to canoe, camp, and travel. I like to do some "light" woodworking sometimes. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, we run a small zoo on the side. Actually, it is at our house. We have two cats, two big dogs, three frogs, and a horse. Add in geocaching, and that's about all we can handle.....Botrytisfree and Erwinia

------------------

Guest web-ling

I've been orienteering competitively for about 8 years. I'm also into genealogy, Veggie Tales, and walking up the sides of mountains. I'm a bit of a computer geek, too. icon_wink.gif

Web-ling

Guest web-ling

I've been orienteering competitively for about 8 years. I'm also into genealogy, Veggie Tales, and walking up the sides of mountains. I'm a bit of a computer geek, too. icon_wink.gif

Web-ling

Guest Digiital

I have way to many hobbies for the amount of hours we have in the day.

GeoCaching (of course)

Camping

Sailing

Ham Radio

Electronics

Satellite(the big dishes not those 18" babies)

Guest Choberiba

Echosgold: Anything outdoors that ends in "ing"!

Just don't let your wife catch you.

Oh, me?

I play the mandolin and love acoustic music.

I'm known as the "Balloon Man" to my (four year old) daughter's friends.

I own a couple 55cf 2000psi helium tanks and find that my daughter and I are often invited to parties. I have a large collection of balloon paraphernalia and get a kick out of taking on this role.

Guest OblongFred

Me:

modeling (usualy 1:24 scale cars and trucks)

internet

growing bonsai

home brewing

and tring to figure out how to get a Ford 302 into a 1994 2WD Ranger

the Wife:

knitting

drawing

e-mailing jokes to relatives

and telling me not to put the 302 into a 1994 2WD Ranger

[This message has been edited by OblongFred (edited 27 November 2001).]

My favorite hobby is shooting video of people square dancing at 120 mph. On a good weekend I can get maybe 10 or 12 shots of these. Most of the time it's with a fairly small group of folks, but I recently did one with 112 people.

See; this.

Paul

Guest RedwoodRed

Quade.... You call that "square" dancing?! cool.gif

I'm impressed. Though, why anyone would be crazy enough to jump out of a perfectly good airplane is lost to me.

I have really enjoyed reading about the hobbies of others. I think that I can take one or two hobbies from everyone's and those would be mine.

I think that the only things I haven't seen that I do for hobbies (besides Geocaching):

- Read and collect comic books

- Collect action figures (usually of comic book characters!)

- Bead weaving and macrame

- Fabric painting

- Archeology

- Designing computer graphics, animation and digital art

I have tons more, including all of the outdoor "ing's"...

------------------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

http://www.geogadgets.com

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

http://www.w6hy.org

[This message has been edited by RedwoodRed (edited 27 November 2001).]

Guest Jake.Hazelip

RedWoodRed...what comics ya read? I've been readin' 'em for over fifteen years now.

Some of my favorites are Far West, Coventry, Ash, and Leave it to Chance. The only reason I bring this up, as it is potentially off-topic is, have you ever considered leaving comics in a cache? I've been thinking about doing that, I just have mixed feelings about it. I'm quite attached to the books I've collected.

Have any of you other GeoCachers left books behind or a more...traditional...variety?

[This message has been edited by Jake.Hazelip (edited 27 November 2001).]

Guest tnunnery

It's interesting to see others with some of the same that hobbies I enjoy.

As you might expect, I enjoy most outdoor activities such as hiking, rafting and canoeing. I also enjoy soccer, tennis, disc golf, homebrewing and winemaking, computers, music (playing and listening), BMW car club racing and I am also an avid fan of '80s music.

Guest Muzikman

joeld,

Hmm..paintball..I see you live up near Erie. Where do you play...

Oh BTW, Hobbies:

Paintball

Music (play, record, and listen)

Hiking

Biking

Computers

Anything else that is cool, interesting, and costs alot of money.

------------------

---------------------

Jason "Muzikman" Beam

Pittsburgh, PA

-eTrex Summit-

[This message has been edited by Muzikman (edited 30 November 2001).]

I guess I break the norm a bit. Besides hiking and camping my interests are:

Astronomy, Electronics (designing and building gadgets), Computers (also my job), and the one I get to practice the most: Behavioral Anthropology (I watch People). As my family loves to tell me, ?Just a little bit geeky?

geosign.gif

[This message has been edited by Ranz (edited 30 November 2001).]

Guest Morseman

Amateur Radio (G0DJA) - Though off air at present.

Photography

Electronics

Computing

I did a parachute jump once. The thing that gets me is that pilots call landing "controlled crashing", so I would rather be in control of my own crash. icon_smile.gif

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

Amateur Radio (G0DJA) - Though off air at present.

Photography

Electronics

Computing

I did a parachute jump once. The thing that gets me is that pilots call landing "controlled crashing", so I would rather be in control of my own crash. icon_smile.gif

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Well, I'm not sure where to start icon_smile.gif.

I love to read, and I write occasionally (but not as much as I should). I build with Lego, like to study language and math, and can make pretty decent desserts. And I'm always listening to Russian music, which drives Aaron crazy icon_wink.gif.

But whenever it's possible, I'm outdoors -- hiking, ice skating, skiing, wandering aimlessly, or just sitting and enjoying nature icon_smile.gif.

Zhanna

Well, I'm not sure where to start icon_smile.gif.

I love to read, and I write occasionally (but not as much as I should). I build with Lego, like to study language and math, and can make pretty decent desserts. And I'm always listening to Russian music, which drives Aaron crazy icon_wink.gif.

But whenever it's possible, I'm outdoors -- hiking, ice skating, skiing, wandering aimlessly, or just sitting and enjoying nature icon_smile.gif.

Zhanna

Guest bunkerdave

I really like hiking, although usually lately that just means geocaching. Since taking up geocaching, I have also become involved in Geodashing (hunting random waypoints) and Highpointing. ( www.cohp.org )

Highpointing is quite interesting, and far more challenging than the majority of caches. A Highpoint is usually the highest point in some geopolitical area, i.e., a state, county, country, etc. Most folks are into county highpointing, which requires varying degrees of effort, depending on whether you play in Utah or Kansas or wherever. Many summits have registers, which IMO would qualify as a cache, and if I can get the coordinates and post them on the website, they will become GEOcaches.

Guest kbraband

Hiking, canoeing, x-c skiing, rock climbing, photography, boating, downhill skiing, cycling, (let's see, what else do we have in the garage?) sky diving, trumpet playing, painting, messin' with computers, reading. Geez, no wonder we're broke.

Guest Bloodhound

Nobodies mentioned Letterboxing! Maybe its to similar to Geocaching to be considered a different hobby (like the difference between canoeing & kayaking). When I'm looking for Geocaches I also look for Letterbox sites that are in the same area. If you've never heard of it check it out @ letterboxing.org

Guest Chris Juricich

My favorite pastimes these days are

tai chi, Geocaching, reading and collecting comic books, doing puzzles, drawing comics, and watching my kid grow.

Does gardening count? Or playing around on the computer?

Guest PneumaticDeath

I have a hobby that nobody else here seems to share. I collect classic arcade games... you know the ones.... 6 ft. tall, weigh hundreds of pounds, suck quarters out of your pockets. I've got 11 of them (maybe 12 depending on how you count). Unfortunately, about 1/2 are broken right now, but maybe with winter here I'll spend more time indoors repairing them. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to combine this with geocaching. :-)

And, no, I'm not going to leave one out in the forest with a generator, and post the co-ordinates here, but I did briefly consider it. ;-)

-- Mitch

Guest Scuba-doo Crew

It's sort of obvious, isn't it?

By the way, does anyone know of any scuba-caches?? We're thinking of putting some out for this type of adventurer.

...and, yes, we know that GPS doesn't work underwater...except for the USN.

------------------

The Scuba-Doo Crew

Guest RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

RedWoodRed...what comics ya read? I've been readin' 'em for over fifteen years now.

Some of my favorites are Far West, Coventry, Ash, and Leave it to Chance. The only reason I bring this up, as it is potentially off-topic is, have you ever considered leaving comics in a cache? I've been thinking about doing that, I just have mixed feelings about it. I'm quite attached to the books I've collected.

Have any of you other GeoCachers left books behind or a more...traditional...variety?

[This message has been edited by Jake.Hazelip (edited 27 November 2001).]

Jake, I read and collect Witchblade and Tomb Raider, some Darkness. I used to love the Fantastic Four, X-Men (still love it, can't keep up) and really LOVED Thor. I used to collect Graphic Novels. I still have them, but do not actively buy anymore. I have the entire thread of Tomb Raiders, and I'm working on Witchblade. I LOVE most of the Top Cow comics. I've always been into fantasy art (Frazetta, Alan Lee, Hildebrandt Bros., Michael Whelan), so comics are an extension and more fluent "fix" of that. I began a project for one of my Multimedia Design classes that turned into a 1k-hit per day website for Tomb Raider. I've since added Witchblade stuff, but I am working so much that I haven't been able to keep up with it. Now that school is out for a month, I should be able to bring it up to date. If you're curious, check out www.beautywithattitude.com. The local theatre asked me to a tie-in for the summer (2001) blockbuster movies, so there are sub-sites for Final Fantasy (www.beautywithattitude.com/finalfantasy) and Planet of the Apes (www.beautywithattitude.com/planetoftheapes) (I collected all four of those, limited editions comics).

Enough of the blatant promotionalism... for now! rolleyes.gif

I don't think I could stand to part with any of my comics, though I have thought of placing a Tomb Raider-themed cache, with action figures, comics, trinkets from the movie and a DVD of the movie. It would have to be a difficult cache to make it worthy of the TR name. Lara wouldn't be happy if it wasn't near a cemetary or tomb!

I would be more interested in parting with my paperbacks. Maybe leaving a cache filled with Robert Jordan's "Dragon Reborn" series. People could read the first book, return it, and take out the next one! Naw, that would never work.

------------------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

http://www.geogadgets.com

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

http://www.w6hy.org

[This message has been edited by RedwoodRed (edited 15 December 2001).]