Hi;

Would you go hunt a cache near your house

if it were in a small park/exercise area that

had a 'log book' only ? some areas are very

accessable but small (1/4 acre).With kids playing

and people mowing the lawn anything larger will

be discovered.I have heard of micro caches but

do not know what people put in them.I think the

thrill is in the hunt and a logbook verifies that you found it.

regards

seatrout

[This message was edited by SeaTrout on November 27, 2002 at 09:21 AM.]

[This message was edited by SeaTrout on November 27, 2002 at 09:22 AM.]

I assume you are still in the area of Hot Pursuit...near me by the way. You should try the one called "Under the Boardwalk". It's a microcache at the beach boardwalk at the end of 5th avenue in Indialantic. It is quite a unique cache. You should try and plan to go during off hours tho because it's in a very public place. The answer to your question as far as I'm concerned is yes I would try and find it. My advice is to read the posts to the caches in your area. This will give you a good idea of what is expected. If you want any help or just need to discuss the game, feel free to email me from my profile.

I'm afraid you both are abusing this forum. This is not a place for cordial behavior. What makes you think that you can ask a simple question and receive an honest helpful answer without sarcasim, or being rudly reffered to another thread where the same topic has already been discussed numerous times? Come on people take it somewhere else. icon_biggrin.gif

-------------------------------------------------

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by SeaTrout:

Hi;

Thanks sbell111 and Freelens for the

replies.Freelens we just submitted

a regular cache and intended to place

half a dozen more including several

microcaches in the near future.The

biggest hold up is trying to find

contents for the regular caches

(dollar store ?)

Dollar stores are good places as is Big Lots. In my opinion, if it's going to be a microcache with just a log book, I would hope it would introduce me to something interesting or unusual that I didn't know existed, was a novel way of hiding or was unique in some way. As I mentioned in the above post, read the logs of caches near you and read the forums. At the bottom of the page you can search by keyword for your subject of interest. Or just wait until you are Markwelled. icon_wink.gif Also the geocaching chat is a great place to get instant if not always usefull feedback on questions you might have. Stop by. Don your asbestos shorts first however. J/K. icon_biggrin.gif

One Geocacher I know of doesn't even use logbooks. He puts a small amoung of change in a small container and if you find it, you have to e-mail him with the amount to verify the find.

This can really reduce the size of your micro if you

eliminate the log.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

One Geocacher I know of doesn't even use logbooks. He puts a small amoung of change in a small container and if you find it, you have to e-mail him with the amount to verify the find.

This can really reduce the size of your micro if you

eliminate the log.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm_

Despit e the obvious problems with the amount of change thing, I think that's a great idea. At some point I expect there is a roll over from a micro to a virtual. The container being the roll over point I guess. You could just leave an object without a container like a golf pencil or something.

quote:
Originally posted by bmac:

What do people usually use as log books in micro caches? I would also like to find something to act as a sort of passport for a travel bug.

They make Post It type sticky pads that are pretty small... they are probably 2 inches long by a half inch wide or so. Not exact, but the pads are about the size of a fat index finger. icon_smile.gif I either staple them at the sticky end, or glom some Goop on it to keep it from peeling apart.

flag.gif

View The ToeCam

quote:

What do people usually use as log books in micro caches?

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

They make Post It type sticky pads that are pretty small... they are probably 2 inches long by a half inch wide or so. Not exact, but the pads are about the size of a fat index finger

Those are exactly what I use in my micros (stapled). That, and a golf score pencil fit perfectly into the brand of magnetic hide-a-key containers that I typically use for my micro caches.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:

What do people usually use as log books in micro caches? I would also like to find something to act as a sort of passport for a travel bug.

Joani makes custom log books out of rite in rain paper. She binds them herself with a 'comb' book binder. For smaller caches, like a film canister, she uses a copy machine (because we don't have a laser printer) to copy onto rite in rain paper and then cuts them into strips and rolls them up into the film canister. She gets a lot of positive comments on her log books.

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

What do people usually use as log books in micro caches?

geodiscs.com is going to sell microcache logbooks made from Rite in the Rain paper, just the right size for an Altoids and the right thickness for AOL disc tin, and professionally bound with printed covers...as soon as the printer finds the darned box he packed them in before the move!

They'll cost around $1,50 or so. My two micros hold the prototypes and an amazing amount of stuff quite well.