What type of items would you like to see placed in Cache sites?

cwoper

O.K.I posted a question about strange items found in a Cache.Replies included everything from,rum left by a church group, to Wendy's ketchup packets, to almost everything in between.My intenions we're strictly for entertainment and,gosh darn it,to just get a fun and lively discussion going,and it worked!!!All the Geocachers that have posted in this forum seem to have a very good sense of humor,and thats one more reason why I like being involved in Geocaching.Be that as it may,I would like to see some input on what we,as a community would like to see being placed in Cache sites.I know that most of this is about the "hunt",but heck,finding a cool item makes it even better.The first Cache that I found was rated 3.5 for terrain and after trading one of my signature items and taking out a Mossberg Viking button and then putting it on my coat for the hike out of the area,I felt darn special!!!I would not trade that button for a $million$ O.K. so I would sell it for a $million$,but after I got the check(and it cleared)I'd just go on Ebay and buy another one for 25 cents.Buttons,pins,and patches,thats what gets my vote for very cool items.What do you think? icon_biggrin.gif

I like to find things of a personal nature, items that are a reflection of the person who left them. I like to stock my caches with, and trade into other caches, military patches and other military crap-a-phanalia. I recently found, abandoned, a huge bag of new tourniquets, they’re green with black buckles, and still in the plastic wrapping. They are great as belts or tie-downs. They seem to go pretty quickly in whatever cache I’ve placed them.

Alas, in just two short months I’m out. Now I gotta find a real job, dadgum….

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I agree, signiture items are cool..

I personally like little gadets and tool type items, things thst when you find you say I always wanted one of these or say Hey I could use that!

Pocket knivies

Leathermans

car accessories-coin holders-cig adaptors etc etc

screw driver sets

cd holders

For kids I try to get little travel games and educational things,pocket kites, not mctoys

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

When I trade, it is often for an outdoors-related item, something that I can add to my geocaching gear, like an emergency poncho, a pocket tool kit or a first-aid item. Since I liked finding these things, I now buy in bulk to leave as trade items or when stocking a cache that I hide.

My daughter likes to find toys based on her favorite cartoon characters. If there is a Powerpuff Girls or Spongebob Squarepants item in the cache, she scoops it up immediately.

A live hamster would be an example of something that I would not like to see placed in a geocache.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I would like to see more sports related items. I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan and an avid collector of anything with their name on it. And living in Baltimore, it's tough to find these things. I found two Steelers pencils in a cache and you would have thought I won a million dollars. Also someone placed a signature Steelers potholder in my Sports cache, but I wasn't fast enough to snatch that up. That item was truely unique and I don't expect it to show up in another cache.

Klause,

I drop off Steelers items in caches whenever I'm geocaching out of town. So, all you have to do is fly to Las Vegas and find one of the five Steeler keychains that I left there recently.

Seriously.... tell me an item you'd be interested in (at a reasonable cost) and I'll buy it and drop it off in a cache as a one-way traveler with instructions to find its way to one of your caches!

GO STEELERS

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I have to agree that personal trade items are the cream of the crop, especially when they are books icon_biggrin.gif

I recently found "Travels with Charley" by Steinbeck in a local cache. I loved the book so much that I emailed the cache owner to thank him for it. Turns out that it's the signature item of 'Team Grambohler', a friend of the cache owner.

To me, such trade items say a great deal about the person who placed them and add yet another dimension to our community.

A cache a day keeps the blues away...

Thanks to the Leprechauns for their offer, but I know if you were to do that for me, I still would never see it. People here in Maryland have a hard time following directions. They would either keep it for themselves or constantly move it around just to be funny. Or an inexperienced newbie might grab it and not have a clue what to do with it. I thank you guys for trying to help. But I may just plan a trip to Pittsburgh this year and do some Black & Gold shopping myself. My favorite player was Jack Lambert. Perhaps I can get ahold of his rookie card or something. Thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by Klause Von Kuhn:

I would like to see more sports related items. I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan and an avid collector of anything with their name on it. And living in Baltimore, it's tough to find these things. I found two Steelers pencils in a cache and you would have thought I won a million dollars. Also someone placed a signature Steelers potholder in my Sports cache, but I wasn't fast enough to snatch that up. That item was truely unique and I don't expect it to show up in another cache.

This is something I have been thinking about, but as all the sports cards I have are Laker cards, I'm afraid they would just be torn up here in Kings country! (note to all my neighbors..I'm not a Lakers fan anymore; all the good players have been traded or retired!)

"Could be worse...could be raining"

We like good signature items. The Marwagsalot Whistle comes to mind as a nice treat to SV cachers. We just got the stuff to upgrade from our current sig item (Team BigM Prehistoric Cache Locator) to polymer geocoins. I know people here will like very much to get these personable coins. If they are anything like Mt. Mudbug's coins, they will without a doubt be rival to the Marwag's Just Whistle. icon_wink.gif I think JohnnyB leaves a cool keychain knife.

I'd like to see more Geocoins, for sure! We are going to try our hand at these - there's hardly any to be found out here.

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

You military junk folk would like one of the caches we placed last weekend - The G.I. JANE CACHE. Check it out, if you can. We also have the G.I. JOE which is loaded and waiting to find the right spot! Each has five different military patches - some are really common but there is a really cool medic patch in one of them. There's also a waterproof chemical mask in each one - brand new! icon_smile.gif One has a WWII German personal provision tin and the other an Israeli provision box. Each also has a new camo bandolier. It was really fun building these caches - and we hope there are some military buffs out this way, too!

Grandmaster Cache

A cache in my area is a library of sorts. The owner designed the cache as a resource for cachers to trade books. This is a fantastic idea. I have several DVD's that I've seen so many times, I may try to start one using them. I would like to see more caches like these. In this way, the entertainment doesn't stop after the cache hunt! Also, camping and outdoor items are always fun. Things like waterproof matches, compasses, batteries for GPSr's, water purification tabs, pocket knives, etc. all make great finds. icon_smile.gif

I would say something about the local area, (maps, vouchers, etc.) since many people who visit a cache are not from the area they can learn from the locals.

I myself have been thinking of things to leave in caches that I think people might like as a signature item. I've picked up a few dozen pieces of Jade pieces to place in caches as my signature item.

I must be in the minority. I cache to find. All I care about is a logbook. The rest of the junk I can buy at WalMart.

Sometimes even no logbook. Some of the best caches have only had some sort of "proof" that you e-mail to the cache owner to prove you were there.

Maybe if we only used logbooks some of the caches would be cleaner for the environment because they wouldn't have to be so big or risk opening and scattering, or inadvertent dropping of McToys during finds or the hike in or out.

Maybe if there were only logbooks some of the cachers here would not be out geocaching and we'd have less environmental damage from all the McToy hunters tramping through the bushes with their kids in tow.

I'd like to see more people utilize CD-ROMs. My signature item is a CD-ROM with about 50 selected photos from various vacations/road trips/parties that I hope are at least worth a chuckle or two. It also has about 50 MP3's and some animations I created. Another guy in my area has a smilar CD-ROM(although he has some serious animation skillz!). CD-ROMs a great because they are tough,cheap,waterproof, hold lots of stuff, are small and each one is unique. And if people geocache, we know they at least have access to a computer.

Ha! That's almost too funny. Usually we are the ones in tow, and the "kids" have the uncanny "find" abilities.

And any kid that goes on a long hike on a trail and enjoys it is absolutely deserving of the sport. icon_wink.gif We need more kids in tow and less kids smoking crack because their parents never cared enough about them to do things with them.

Ever notice that kids never jump at the chance to exclude mom and dad from their games? Oh, I'd feel terrible saving the environment for my own personal destruction and ix-naying the kids. Besides, this is an opportunity for us to teach our kids about the environment, and the important and diverse life they see on the trail.

The kicker? My "kids in tow" carry out trash from "mature adults" on the trail - as do many kids out geocaching. I don't think the environment is something one needs to reach a certain "age" to enjoy. Responsibility can be shown by 8 year-olds; being an "adult" sure doesn't stop some folks from leaving their "mark" on the environment. icon_wink.gif

I know you're just joking - and love kids. icon_wink.gif But some folks might actually think the way you were joking around about - and that's too bad. icon_wink.gif

Heck, the real "tramplers" are the big fatsos like me - not the twiggy lil' crumbsnatches! icon_biggrin.gif

Grandmaster Cache

quote:
Originally posted by treemoss2:

I must be in the minority. I cache to find. All I care about is a logbook. The rest of the junk I can buy at WalMart.

Sometimes even no logbook. Some of the best caches have only had some sort of "proof" that you e-mail to the cache owner to prove you were there.

Maybe if we only used logbooks some of the caches would be cleaner for the environment because they wouldn't have to be so big or risk opening and scattering, or inadvertent dropping of McToys during finds or the hike in or out.

Maybe if there were only logbooks some of the cachers here would not be out geocaching and we'd have less environmental damage from all the McToy hunters tramping through the bushes with their kids in tow.

quote:
Originally posted by treemoss2:

Good luck finding a "Special Ops Bad to the Bone" C-141B Skull patch there. Very few of those around.

Not aware of any damage either. Sounds like you have issues unrelated to geocaching. Might be a good idea to have those looked at by a professional.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I think the hard part of putting something desirable in a cache is that most anything, if a person has many of them, becomes less desirable. If I found a small Swiss Army knife in a cache, I'd be thrilled. I would be less thrilled if I kept finding them in every cache.

So, in a certain sense, the more unique the better.

Out of all of the things we have taken, probably the most desirable ones were the Iron Chef spoon, a green enamel cup, a "Lord of the Rings" game, a votive candle (from our first cache, an urban cache), an egg separator, a small stone Buddha, and (probably unique to us) a glass emerald on a string that we hung from our rearview mirror.

We often find that when we put something we think is really cool in a cache, it sits there forever, and funky stuff we left thinking "I wonder if that's a good idea" gets snatched up right away.

Each to their own, I guess.

I like the shot glass idea. They are compact and easy to store, and you can play "shot glass chess" with them. Juice for the kids, harder stuff for the non-driving adults. icon_smile.gif

Shannah