Local hosts

I searched for this topic with no results, so forgive me if I'm bringing up something that's been discussed elsewhere.

Recently I went to Virginia to geocache. I had a good time and will probably travel to geocache again.

One thing that would have improved the experience was a little "local knowledge." I would have liked to have emailed, spoken to or met up with a geocacher who knew the area and could give me useful directions (don't take the business route, the name of the turn off is A Street, that park has a Nudist's Picnic every Friday, that sort of thing). It would have saved me some time, aggravation and gas!

I understand that the hunt is 90% of the game but to be pointed in the right direction is always welcome.

In my own home town, I realize a couple of caches starting points could be very difficult to find without a little guidance from those who have been there.

So, finally, here's the question: has anyone set up a host program in their town for visiting geocachers? Is this something anyone else would be interested in? Would this make things too easy?

Any comments are welcome!

Enfanta

In the absence of some kind of official mechanism for doing this...

I know that if someone e-mailed me and said "I'm coming to your area on vacation, are there any particular caches that you'd recommend..." I would be glad to reply.

In any particular area you can see who the active cache placers are from the cache listings. You *might* run into the occasional grouch who considered you e-mail an intrusion... but by and large I think you would find that most people would happily oblige.

There was a thread on this in the Northwest fourms. The idea was to have a cache placed somewhere in the Metro area that would have a bunch of info on the area. Some maps, places to eat and stay. And also a list of the 'Must do' caches in the area.

It sounded like a great idea, but I don't know if it was ever placed. I think the hardest part would be finding a spot for a large cache container in a metropolitian area that wouldn't get plundered.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??