what do you like more for geocaching (goto or map)

whats so cool about it??????

Map has to be the best if you have one..

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

I like that I can switch back and forth with the click of my little tiny toggle button. I love my Legend.

Cache you later,

Planet

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will

give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Rubberband map for getting there (Unless I have the GPs route me) then the goto arrow for the hike.

Wherever you go there you are.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Goto for me, no question. When you're close enough to the cache to really care about where it is, the map screen becomes useless because you can't zoom it in far enough (on a yellow eTrex, anyway.) Goto's pretty useless with the default settings, too, but once you get the bearing on the screen instead of the speed, it works much better.

warm.gif

31974_800.gif

I think the map screen works great when I'm close to the cache coordinates. It gives a workable birdseye view showing my position in relation to the cache and the surrounding features (roads, trail, stream, etc.). I've also configured the display with the Distance and Pointer data fields because it's handy to have both options visible at the same time on the map. If sat signals are really sketchy, or if the cache is hidden extremely well (need more precision), then I switch to the Position screen and work from the current coordinates.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

[This message was edited by Rich in NEPA on January 26, 2003 at 07:05 AM.]

We use the map screen to get to the general area, especially in the city, then switch to the (moving) compass and let the steering info guide us close, and finally when the needle starts hunting because we're too close, we use the distance window combined with visual observation of the immediate area(<50ft).

All of this is possible because we set the cache (destination) as the GOTO. But I don't seem to recall the Magellan's having a GOTO screen. icon_rolleyes.gif

All of this is to say I'm not sure what the original question was really trying to ask. If you don't GOTO, then might as well use a compass and paper map instead of any GPSr map or nav screen.

don

Garmin GPSmap76 map screen ...

Does the screen always stay stable or does it start flipping around in heavy cover or other bad reception conditions? The compass rose screen on my GM100 can get to doing that and unless you pay attention to which way it says north is, you can think the cache is to the left when it is really to the right. This also occurs on the map screen and the track plot tends to get really congested and can cover the waypoint. (usually when your really more like 30 feet away.

Jacksons: Not Mickey and Minnie.... it's Bill and Jane on the hunt icon_razz.gif

$1000 Bill geocaching is living in a 30 foot circle

quote:
Originally posted by Treasure Hunters Inc.:

Does the screen always stay stable or does it start flipping around in heavy cover or other bad reception conditions?

Howdy, THI! That's one of the reasons I like using the map display in this manner—it seems to be the most stable of the other screen options. The Pointer screen (which everyone seems to refer to as the Compass screen) tends to flip-flop too erratically in poor reception areas and/or when very close to the cache coordinates. I hardly ever use it. Also, with the mapping capability of this unit, it's easy to maintain a perspective of where the cache is in relation to the objects in the uploadable map (roads, trails, streams, etc.) that are nearby.

The other method I rely on when zeroing in on a cache is to switch to the Position screen (Garmin calls it the GPS Information page) which shows my current LAT/LON coordinates. I simply move north-south until my LAT matches the posted cache coordinates, and then east-west until my LON matches, as well. There's usually a bit of fluctuation with the numbers (the least significant digits) I'm reading, but then I can move around a little to find the "average" spot that the GPS tends to bring me back to, typically within a 6 to 12 foot circle. Naturally, there are some exceptions to the overall usefullness of this process, but in my experience they are really quite rare.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

The Pointer screen (which everyone seems to refer to as the Compass screen) tends to flip-flop too erratically....

Rich, what I call the compass screen is a close cousin to the Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI) in aircraft (don't confuse with Attitude Direction Indicator(ADI) which shows pitch, roll, and heading), with the same flat compass card, course to steer pointer operating independently of the card but read against it, distance to go in units of interest, etc. They just added the moon and sun. Perhaps I shall now call it the HSI nav screen. Think it will catch on? icon_smile.gif

don

Well, for the longest time, I just used the coordinates screen, and was happy as long as the numbers were moving in the right direction.

Now that I am more familiar with my GPSr (Magellan Map 330) I use the map screen most often. Since most cache sites around El Paso are in the draws in our local mountains, you go up the trail regardless of direction to the actual cache, so GoTo is not useful until you are right up next to the cache.

- Sue