Going to be in the newspaper

I recently contacted my local newspaper to see if they would like to run an article about Geocaching. The reporter contacted me today and we are going out to my cache so he can take a photo thursday.

I got to verify that my cache is still in place, then put some nice stuff in it? any suggestions

I recommend that you DON'T "put some nice stuff in it". Why not just leave it in it's current, naturally evolved state, instead of misrepresenting the contents. Also, I wouldn't verify its location beforehand. An occasional missing cache is part of the hobby. How about you give the reporter your GPS and let HIM try and find it. Then, you both can be genuinely surprised at the contents.

You're representing US, too.

quote:
Originally posted by General Bracket:

quote:
Hmm.. How about a buck knife, some .38 rounds and a copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook?

HA! That's the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Funny...? You mean that I need to take that stuff out of my cache?

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

We were in the paper recently. We picked 3 caches we hadn't found yet that were on the same trail. That way we were sure to find at least one and give the reporter an accurate 'demonstration' of Geocaching. The reporter spotted the first container before we did, then I found the other 2. We think she wrote a good story about our experience.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

Had a reporter contact us a couple of years ago, & he did a very nice full page spread on geocaching. Contacted us about a month ago, & wanted to do a piece from a different perspective. So he did some research, & went out & placed a cache. After it was out for about 1 1/2 weeks,(last week)he went & retrieved the cache camera to get the film developed. The story from the point of view of the cache owner is supposed to run in tomorrows paper. Should be interesting. Looking forward to it. Not sure if I'm looking forward to the possibility of seeing some of the pics from the camera in the newspaper. I've retrieved about 20 cameras from my caches, & most of the pics look like something from a 10 most wanted list. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

--N2GLS--

just a thought from a reporters perspective here.

unless you're an editor, and most of us aren't, our opinions or perspectives or firsthand experiences can't be used in a newspaper story.

(magazines are a little different)

also - most papers don't like to "stage / recreate" things (really, TV does, we want to try to be there when stuff happens) although, with this i know it can be hard.

almost the best thing you can do (unless you're actually checking or placing a new cache) is to take someone new and let THEM find the cache, and have the reporter and photographer document THAT.

they can get the experinced perspective from you, and the thrill of something new from the new cacher...

who's got the pig?

quote:
Originally posted by team travel pig:

just a thought from a reporters perspective here.

I'd imagine that's usually the case. But here, the reporter isn't just writing a column type story. He's a feature writer that weekly has a full page to himself in the outdoors section of a magazine type insert in the local paper. The first article he wrote, was a descriptive account of his journey to find a cache. It was all first hand knowledge with pictures. He's written many stories about his adventures in all kinds of different sporting type activities.

Hiking, mountain biking, camping etc. He's a sporting enthusiast that weekly takes on new challenges or experiences & reports from his perspective. As it's doubtful that an editor is along on his journeys, I'd guess that his pieces aren't doctored up by anyone.

"Gimpy"

--N2GLS--

gimpy - i wasn't doubting or questioning your experience... rather someone who had earlier suggested that the reporter do the finding.

*most* reporters aren't allowed to write about their experiences, we tell other people's stories.

when i did a geocaching story, i had to explain that i could not do the finding, and that we could not fake stuff for the photographer.

(and all editors edit without ever going along for the ride. and everything in a paper is edited.)

who's got the pig?

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

I'd imagine that's usually the case. But here, the reporter isn't just writing a column type story. He's a feature writer that weekly has a full page to himself in the outdoors section of a magazine type insert in the local paper...

We lucked out then, our story made the front page! icon_smile.gif

Guys...you're missing my earlier point. I advised the original poster to NOT put "some nicer things" in his cache. In doing so, he's skewing the reporter's perception of what a typical cache contains. Might make a neater article, sure, but who's served?

Boil it down? It's dishonest. It's also your choice, so do whatever you like. But it will be one more newspaper article about our hobby that misses it's true essence. (i.e. that it's not about "NICE STUFF")

Mo

A reporter from the San Francisco Chronicle wants to go caching with me next week. I was wondering some of the same things- should I do anything special to present geocaching in a certain way? I've now decided not to 'stock it up' ahead of time...but I am thinking that it would be best to pick a cache that I have been to already.

Otherwise, is there anything really important I should make sure gets across?

Happy Halloween

quote:
Originally posted by Woof!:

.... is there anything really important I should make sure gets across?

Make sure the cache is not buried, on private property, near a railroad, or in the full public view, and try to find one without really obvious "game trails" and other environmental "impact" from cachers.

Trash would be OK, as long as you picked it up on the way out.......

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

mo is right - don't fake anything.

don't do anything you wouldn't do if the reporter wasn't there.

and make sure to tell them they can call any time if they have any additional questions.

i actually spent quite a bit of time looking at comments on the boards before i went out and wrote my article, and that really helped to figure out what the concerns and issues were...

who's got the pig?

one more thought...

while i understand (kind of) wanting to go to one you'vee found already so you can actually find one...

is that something you'd ordinarily do?

if not, why do it now?

the article will be odd...

"team travel pig went back to cache x for a second time, as geocachers often do..."

*WHAT?*

if you want the security of knowing the cache is there, take someone else along (apart from the reporter) and let them find it.

and if you don't find the cache, then that leads to all kinds of discussions - gps accuracy / cache plundering etc.

we don't all work for the national enquirer, you know.

"team travel pig couldn't find the cache - what a total loser - and what an utter waste of time this is!"

keep it real.

who's got the pig?

quote:
Originally posted by Woof!:

...but I am thinking that it would be best to pick a cache that I have been to already.

We picked 3 caches that were all on the same trail (1.6 mile round trip) to make sure we would at least find one of them. They were all rated as pretty easy (and kid-friendly).

I had thought about visiting the cache ahead of time, but this way worked out better. Oh yeah, we did find all three - the reporter found the first one!

quote:
Originally posted by nevin1977:

Today was the day the article came out

You can see the article at http://www.examiner.org

This ran on the front page, Above the fold

Not a bad article at all. It could say more but when you think that it was NOT written for those who cache already, it's a good, 'make 'em look into it further' article'... My vote would be that you did a good job in representing the cause nevin - well done you!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

(why do I not read these things back before I hit the 'Post Now' button?)

Here it is July 11th article from SF Chronicle

A fewmistakes withstanding (he forgot my exclamation mark icon_mad.gif and I didn't break my leg snowboarding, I broke it skateboarding! icon_razz.gif) I think its a pretty good article.

He also forgot to mention CITO, and gave away a little toooo much info on some of the local caches...maybe now I can actualy find one of them! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Happy Halloween

[This message was edited by Woof! on July 11, 2003 at 10:41 AM.]

Our local newspaper had a half page article about geocaching. It was about geocaching in the Mankato, MN area which is about 90 miles NE of where I live in Worthington. It was a very positive article....wow, this hobby just keep growing. I took my 21 year old son out for his first cache..he's hooked.

Have a great weekend all.

Bob icon_biggrin.gif

PARENTS....THE ANTI-DRUG