Eurocaching in winter?

CairoCarol

A question for you globetrotters or Europeans: we have no snow in Cairo, Egypt, and according to my husband it is time to introduce our 5 year old son to the concept. Bah humbug...unless I can geocache. Anybody have suggestions for where in Europe we could go at Christmastime that (1) would be guaranteed to have snow; and (2) would allow a little winter geocaching (nothing too tough, please; I am no fan of cold weather and gave up downhill skiing as soon as I turned 18 and escaped from my mother's sadistic insistance that I needed to ski to be well-rounded.) If I'm posing a totally unrealistic question, tell me so. Do geocachers hibernate in winter? Thanks.

The only snow I deal with now is the kind in the little glass globes.

While living in NY: After someone stole my new ergonomic (save my back) snowshovel, I gave it up and moved to Florida...

Egypt was a close 2nd but I also hate the Khamseens! icon_smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

For example:

www.finland-tourism.com

Finland.fi

Geocaches in Finland.

Snow guaranteed!icon_biggrin.gif

I've cached over one winter during my geocaching life. I thought most of the caches would be buried in snow and that the cachers would hibernate indeed. Fortunately I was wrong! I found many cool (pun intended) caches during the snowy season, and I as well started hiding my first own ones in winter.

Many (if not most) caches have been stashed in a way you can find them any time of the year. Of course, there always are caches which are better to leave for spring or summertime, but plenty can still be found no matter how much snow there is.

The most dense cache areas are the capital district and the city of Tampere with its surrounding cities and municipalities. The norther you go, the more snow you get, and there are even some caches in Lapland (northern Finland), but as I haven't seeked them, I don't know how easily you can find them in wintertime. See also the Buxley's map of caches in Finland to get a picture of the cache density.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

I lived in, and traveled all over, Europe during my 5 years there in the Army... and Bavaria was easily my favorite region. It would be an absolutely outstanding Christmas destination.

Pic-21.jpg

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

We are a USAF family currently stationed in Germany and have only been caching for around a month so we haven't done any in the snow yet, but we can recommend our area (the southwest part, Rheinland-Pfalz) for its numerous very nice caches. Last year it only snowed once just a little, the year before we had lots! It is very beautiful here and we are close to the Black Forest, about an hour, and many castles. During Christmas time there are Christmas Markets (See) in many of the villages and towns. We highly encourage you to visit a few if you come.

"To create you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Benjamin Franklin

[This message was edited by The_Rocks on August 18, 2003 at 06:43 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by SLCDave:

As soon as I read the question, I knew the "guy with the horns from Finland" (Divine) would have an answer for you!

icon_biggrin.gifLOL... Uh, hope that wasn't a bad thing.icon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

As for horns, it reminded me that we also have lots of reindeer in Lapland.icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

quote:
Originally posted by SLCDave:

As soon as I read the question, I knew the "guy with the horns from Finland" (Divine) would have an answer for you!

icon_biggrin.gifLOL... Uh, hope that wasn't a bad thing.icon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

As for horns, it reminded me that we also have lots of reindeer in Lapland.icon_biggrin.gif

No, not bad at all, I just knew you were in the forums, and in Europe, and could help them out!

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

I would (of course) recommend Norway.

Not all, but a lot of the caches atleast here in the Oslo-region can be reached in Winter.

Oslo (being the only city (some might disagree) in Norway) has lots of opportunities for skiing as well as caching.

The ski-resort of Hemsedal has gotten lots of caches lately, and probably some of them is accessible in winter.

I found a cache buried deep in snow close to the

slopes in Trysil this winter.

hbrx.