naming a cache with town or area in the title.

let me explain the subject title icon_smile.gif I was looking for caches in a town...the town was near 2 islands...when I put the lat/long in and looked at the results I had to go through each and every one to find out whether they were around the town or on the islands... Am I making any scence icon_confused.gif...I was thinking that if people would add the place name ( or place nearby) to the title of the cache it would make it a lot easier to narrow down the caches that you want to go find... maybe the site people could do something to help... I'm new at this but already I know that I'm hooked..so let me know if there is an easier way... icon_smile.gifTHANX icon_smile.gif

Everyone plays this game a little different. Some like to make their caches easy finds. Some want to make things more difficult by making it a tricky find but name the park, town, nature area, etc... Some tell you the best place to park (which doesn't always help, especially when islands are involved!). Some like to just put out a waypoint and leave it up to you to research, or just plain search, the rest.

We've hunted several different variations of caches and have enjoyed all. We've placed several caches and they vary greatly in difficulty. We have one that is a really easy find as long as you take an extra few minutes to look for the easiest way to it. It's there, and not too hard to find. But if you try the *follow the arrow* approach, you're in for a bit of difficulty. This was by design.

Naming the town or area for each cache would simplify the hunt, certainly. But it would also take away some of the challenge and for us, the fun. We've had caches where we've spent as much time looking for a place to park as we've spent on the hunt itself. Once again, all part of the game...

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Well said GeoStars,

I plan on giving a little more than the Coords for the first cache I'm about to place. I want to make it as difficult as possible. After reading your post I will make a note on the cache page to do a little homework first. Now I know not everyone reads the cache page and thats not my fault.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

Failing to include such broad, basic information as a town name is a weak way to improve the difficulty of a cache.

To each their own, I guess. Many a time we've searched by pointer only. Most of the time we have the cache page printout. However, putting the name of the town in the cache title would solve little, I feel, and only limit the cache placer's choices for cache name.

The GPS is only one tool you need to hunt caches. Yes, you can make it more interesting by only a GPS, but maps, both physical and online, can get you to within a few hundred yards before you even turn on your GPS. In fact, our first few finds were without a GPS! We just used online maps and the cheats on the cache page and found them!

CR

quote:

Failing to include such broad, basic information as a town name is a weak way to improve the difficulty of a cache.

It only takes one click of a mouse to view a detailed map of the exact location of the cache. You can zoom in or out as far as you want to.

I usually give suggested parking coordinates to my caches (in cases where it might not be obvious). That allows people to use the extra help if they want, or to ignore it if they prefer the extra challenge. I'm thiking the map link works the same way.

But, if we list in our description, "Go to such-n-such park, in such-n-such town." it's kind hard for a person to skip over that information and strike it from their memory if they would have wanted the extra challenge.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:

If I want to drive around for thirty minutes looking for a place to park, I'll go to the mall on Saturday morning.

I personally find looking for a parking spot, or sometimes, even the access road, fun 95% of the time. One cache I did, I made a 5 mile loop about 5 times before I turned around and looped in the other direction. The trailhead went at such an angle to the road it was invisible while travelling in one direction. it adds to the experience, I got a lesson that day I would not have gotten if parking coordinates had been given. I don't consider it wasting gas if it gives me a challenge. And then I still had a 1+ mile hike to get to the cache.

And if you want to know what town it's in, look at a map. Works for me. icon_wink.gif

Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately, it kills all its students!

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I usually give suggested parking coordinates to my caches (in cases where it might not be obvious). That allows people to use the extra help if they want, or to ignore it if they prefer the extra challenge. I'm thiking the map link works the same way.

I like to have parking coords of there is no apparent legal place to park near a cache but otherwise i don't use them. If the cache is in a park that has different lots in it to park i don't want coords i'll find the one i want to park at and go from there. If the cache is off of some busy highway and there are no places to park that you can see from the cache area its nice to have an idea of some place that is legal to get off the road and leave your car.

Eeyore

My other cachemobile is a broom!

We like for all our cache hides to follow a theme. So far we have placed:

Elves in the Forest

Elves in the Heights

Elves on the Riverfront

Elves been workin' on the Trail Road (today!)

and are planning

Elves at Hogwarts

Local cachers like the extra interest created by a theme. So don't make me put in boring geographical stuff in the title. I DO tell the hunter basically where the cache is... and parking directions whenever there's a possibility of a ticket or tow if you choose wrong... just as a courtesy. I put this in the "short description" section of the cache page.

If a finder can't be bothered to look at the map and/or read the cache page, I don't care if they get lost.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I would prefer to allow creativity in the cache titles. I may include information about the location of the park, but I don't feel obligated to, because in most cases clicking on the map will provide all the information anyone might need. I would include more information if there a detours, a maze of one-way streets, or difficulty with parking. This allows for the specific information some people want and the basic information that others prefer. Generally, I am reluctant to support any further rules or guidelines because the variety of experiences is my favorite thing about geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by coast2coast2coast:

let me explain the subject title icon_smile.gif I was looking for caches in a town...the town was near 2 islands...when I put the lat/long in and looked at the results I had to go through each and every one to find out whether they were around the town or on the islands... Am I making any scence icon_confused.gif...

That's why it's called hunting. If you didn't have to hunt then it'd be the walk in the park game. While that may be nice. It's not why I do it.

quote:

I was thinking that if people would add the place name ( or place nearby) to the title of the cache it would make it a lot easier to narrow down the caches that you want to go find... maybe the site people could do something to help... I'm new at this but already I know that I'm hooked..so let me know if there is an easier way... icon_smile.gifTHANX icon_smile.gif

Would you be hooked if it was easy? Use the resources that the site provides. There are links to topo maps, and street maps, and even satalite photos. All that could be researched without even stepping out the door. Learn how to use them on the caches with the questionable approaches.

Sometimes, all those resources are useless. You have to actually go to the area and hunt. Sometimes you find it, sometimes you don't.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

It's not so hard to figure out. Bryno and I have four caches together, "Below None" is in Above All State Forest. "Whyantsknock" is in Wyantenock State Forest. "MT Tom Cache" is on top of MT Tom (that's the tough one), and "Some Gave All" wasn't named for the place but what it symbolizes.

Cache you later,

Planet