Geocaching impact on the environment: the final word in 10,000 years

The final word will not be mankinds, it will be Natures. If the evolution of our planet could be measured in terms of a 24-hour day, the entire existence of mankind would only account for a few seconds on the clock. The human race will only be a blip in the greater scheme of things. Nature will slowly and surely reclaim the concrete highways, tear down the tallest buildings, leak through every dam ever built and turn every geocache to dust.

Remember THAT the next time you worry about damage from bushwhacking...(or ANYTHING else, really)...it's not going to make a difference. Do you see any environmental impact from the time that one of the Pharaohs probably took a shortcut and ordered 50 slaves to hack through some reeds, looking for the level 4 Moses microcache? I don't think so!

Come to think of it, in 10,000 years, there might not even be anyone around to remember what geocaching was. So let's enjoy it while we can!

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

The final word will not be mankinds, it will be Natures. If the evolution of our planet could be measured in terms of a 24-hour day, the entire existence of mankind would only account for a few seconds on the clock. The human race will only be a blip in the greater scheme of things. Nature will slowly and surely reclaim the concrete highways, tear down the tallest buildings, leak through every dam ever built and turn every geocache to dust.

Remember THAT the next time you worry about damage from bushwhacking...(or ANYTHING else, really)...it's not going to make a difference. Do you see any environmental impact from the time that one of the Pharaohs probably took a shortcut and ordered 50 slaves to hack through some reeds, looking for the level 4 Moses microcache? I don't think so!

Come to think of it, in 10,000 years, there might not even be anyone around to remember what geocaching was. So let's enjoy it while we can!

Makes you feel sort of insignificant doesn't it?

May we 'ave your liver then?

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

No, you've missed the point. These lands must remain protected so that Future Generations can also be denied the chance to enjoy them.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Do you see any environmental impact from the time that one of the Pharaohs probably took a shortcut and ordered 50 slaves to hack through some reeds, looking for the level 4 Moses microcache?

Yes! Egypt used to be one huge, vast, tropical rainforest. Now look at it. All that desolate wasteland ... sand everywhere ... all resulting from bushwacking and trodding by those ancient geocachers!

But those darn caches still remain ... just like tupperware those large pointy piles of rocks just stay around forever marring the landscape and enticing people to plunder.

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

No, you've missed the point. These lands must remain protected so that _Future Generations_ can also be denied the chance to enjoy them.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

_Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back_ -- Dar Williams

Hehehehe, good one Dino, good one....LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:

...If the evolution of our planet could be measured in terms of a 24-hour day, the entire existence of mankind would only account for a few seconds on the clock. The human race will only be a blip in the greater scheme of things...Do you see any environmental impact from the time that one of the Pharaohs probably took a shortcut and ordered 50 slaves to hack through some reeds, looking for the level 4 Moses microcache?...

I agree completely with your conclusion that our geocaching activities have minimal immediate impact on the environment and zero impact in the long run, but I disagree with the premise on which it was built. The same source that gave the world knowledge of a person named Moses in Egypt also states man was created on the 6th day, that we are considerably more significant than just a blip in the great scheme of things, and that we will still be here for the end of the story (which could be considerably less than 10,000 years from now.) icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

No, you've missed the point. These lands must remain protected so that _Future Generations_ can also be denied the chance to enjoy them.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

_Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back_ -- Dar Williams

Here here! I offer a toast to this truth!

The playground party

Has grown away

Like the wind

To never return

To slides

And swings

And games.

The games remain, though,

Like the merry-go-round,

For the children

In new costumes.

[This message was edited by sept1c_tank on July 09, 2003 at 08:22 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

Another way to look at it...

Bears have been bushwacking for years. Do they cause environmental damage? What about deer? Rabbits? Ever heard of a rabbit trail? Those darn geocaching rabbits!

There once was a rabbit heading from east to west. Some squirrels and a raccoon saw his tracks and decided to see where he went. A deer came by and decided that the trail might lead somewhere interesting. Later some guy named Daniel Boone decided that the trail would make a good path to visit his neighbors. Today that path is I-70 and stretches all the way across the country. Tomorrow...?

[This message was edited by sept1c_tank on July 09, 2003 at 08:23 AM.]

In our rush to be politically correct, some of us have overdone the "protect the environment" thing. I too, have seen plenty of deer trails out there, and a bear flattening the grass. ( I felt it prudent not to tell him he that should NOT damamge the grass ) Should we give those nasty deer a time-out?

We are part of the environment, and have been for at least 3 million years, according to the Leakeys. Yes, we should take care not to do unnecessary damage, but bear in mind that that the ecosystem includes, not excludes, US.

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

I agree completely with your conclusion that our geocaching activities have minimal immediate impact on the environment and zero impact in the long run, but I disagree with the premise on which it was built. The same source that gave the world knowledge of a person named Moses in Egypt also states man was created on the 6th day, that we are considerably more significant than just a blip in the great scheme of things, and that we will still be here for the end of the story (which could be considerably less than 10,000 years from now.) icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

The source you speak of also gave the world knowledge of a person named Carl Sagan, who's cosmic calendar shows that we are but the last second of December 31st of the cosmic year. As that calendar further condenses as time goes on, we, and the earth for that matter, will eventually cease to exist in any meaningful way in the history of the universe.

Not a blip, less than a blip. Less than less than a blip. Not even a microscopic scratch on the universe.

The source also gave fourth knowledge of the great Stephen Hawking who said, "What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn't prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary."

The whole premise of the argument is flawed. You can just as well say go out and kill every living thing you see, because nature will eventually recover. It's a silly and simplistic argument.

I don't understand why people can't simply have respect for the environment (and people) around them, instead of adopting the smug attitude that they can do whatever the hell they want.

George

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

The whole premise of the argument is flawed. You can just as well say go out and kill every living thing you see, because nature will eventually recover. It's a silly and simplistic argument.

I don't understand why people can't simply have respect for the environment (and people) around them, instead of adopting the smug attitude that they can do whatever the hell they want.

George

Amen to that. I do agree that the "impact on environment" mantra is taken too far sometimes but there's certainly nothing wrong with respecting the environment and others.

I'm not a tree hugger by any means. And I use deer trails all the time to get to caches. Funny thing about deer. They don't tend to leave behind empty soda cans, candy wrappers or trash.

Most hunters I know understand the need to conserve and maintain the environment. They want junior to have the same opportunity to use and enjoy the environment as the old man had.

I think the real issue here is extremes. Soem people take it too far one direction or the other. IT's silly to suggest putting a cache in a hollow tree is going to threaten an entire forest or the environment. It's also silly to argue it's okay to take a machette and trail blaze your way to a cache to create a short cut.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by General Bracket:

...The source you speak of also gave the world knowledge of a person named Carl Sagan...The source also gave fourth knowledge of the great Stephen Hawking...

Incorrect, my friend. The source to which I was referring makes no mention of either of them by name; though I suppose one could argue they are mentioned indirectly in Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1 "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:

The source you speak of also gave the world knowledge of a person named Carl Sagan...

Wha?! Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking don't appear in my edition of the Bible. Are they in one of the Apocryphal books? icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

I think the real issue here is extremes. Soem people take it too far one direction or the other. IT's silly to suggest putting a cache in a hollow tree is going to threaten an entire forest or the environment. It's also silly to argue it's okay to take a machette and trail blaze your way to a cache to create a short cut.

Exactly. My idea of enjoying the land is "Leave nothing but footprints, etc etc". I'm quite sure when people in these forums take that "smug attitude", the last thing on their mind is trashing the nearest forest they can find; we just want to be trusted to be responsible instead of being banned from everywhere and everything.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by quills:

breaktrack which afsc badge is that?

Master EOD. We actually use the Senior EOD badge in police bomb squads, but this one looked better as an avatar....lol.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

George

No, you shouldn't say you can just as well go out and kill every living thing you see. Where did this come from? That comparison is so far off-base it's ridiculous.

Did I say "Go do whatever the hell you want to the environment?"

No. But no matter what you do, it's a good bet to say that there will be no trace of the human race being on this planet after enough time goes by.

I respect nature, and take care not to do any serious damage while out caching or doing other activities. But I certainly hope that you don't think that my stepping on a flower is going to somehow upset the balance of nature to the point of changing this planet into a barren wasteland.

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on July 10, 2003 at 05:25 PM.]

Blah blah blah blah...

Everyone is taking this thread way too seriously. Wise up T360. You should know better. A topic like this always calls out the conservation extremeists and religious fundametalists.

Then there's the no-sense-of-humor "PC is the way to be!" bunch, but any topic that has the slightest hint of controversiality calls them out.

quote:
Well, there's always next year.

ROTFLMAO! How refreshing.

[This message was edited by General Bracket on July 10, 2003 at 11:09 AM.]

quote:

...A topic like this always calls out the conservation extremeists and religious fundametalists. Then there's the no-sense-of-humor "PC is the way to be!" bunch,...

Now that is humorous, whether intentional or not. Isn't it funny how we tend to automatically think anyone who doesn't share our worldview is an extremist, and how quickly we resort to name-calling in an attempt to discredit those with opinions contrary to our own? icon_rolleyes.gif

Worldtraveler

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on July 10, 2003 at 11:56 AM.]

I personally think that the geocacher motto of C.I.T.O. certainly will have some small impact on the future. But don't worry the icebergs are already melting, Can you say paddle cache?

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Now _that_ is humorous, whether intentional or not. Isn't it funny how we tend to automatically think anyone who doesn't share _our_ worldview is an _extremist_, and how quickly we resort to _name-calling_ in an attempt to discredit those with opinions contrary to our own? icon_rolleyes.gif

Hmmm... That is funny.

It was a troll. Don't get all bunged up. This thread is a great pot to stir. Have a little fun for crying out loud.

quote:

...Don't get all bunged up. This thread is a great pot to stir. Have a little fun for crying out loud...

I'm having all kinds of fun with this! icon_biggrin.gif Didn't you notice the Big Grin emoticons in my first two posts? And now you've posted another classic: Pretending you're trying to calm me down when I've given no indication I'm upset. The intent, of course, is to portray oneself as the rational party and the other person as irrational and, therefore, less credible. Do you suppose anyone fell for it? icon_wink.gif

C'mon, do you have any other tactics that are less transparent?

WTN?* icon_biggrin.gif

*Who's trolling now?

Worldtraveler

George

I'm not a tree hugger by any means. And I use deer trails all the time to get to caches. Funny thing about deer. They don't tend to leave behind empty soda cans, candy wrappers or trash.

Hey they do leave those raisin thingys behind, mmmmmmm yummy icon_wink.gif

Croaker

I was actually posting in reply to the rolleyes post. And I wasn't trying appear as if I was calming you down. I was trying make you appear as if you were taking more stock in this dopey conversion than you were, thereby making you appear as an extremeist, reinforcing my original statement, and making me look superior.

Did anyone fall for it? Of course they did. I have them all under my spell.

Who's trolling now? You I guess. Was just me near as I can tell. (Maybe you thought I was refering to someone else when I said it was a troll??)

Those little icons are for WEAKLINGS!! A well tuned sense of humor need no help from lowly emotes! They leave no room for the extremeists, fundamentalists, and PC people to interpret incorrectly and get upset! WHAT GOOD IS THAT??!!

<ahem> Carry on.

quote:

Blah blah blah blah...

Everyone is taking this thread way too seriously. Wise up T360. You should know better. A topic like this always calls out

everyone with an opinion.

You're right: This cracks me up. I didn't mean for this to be a debate over religion, I was just pointing out that in 10,000 years, what will it matter that I stepped on a flower or broke off a branch?

Then again, maybe they are right. Maybe I am damaging the environment by just being here.

All of this has given me a calling to a greater cause: I am off to kill myself, thereby saving the flowers and branches for future generations. I just can't live with the thought of having anything to do with the destruction of the environment, which would begin with me knocking off a tree leaf.

TEAM 360, doing his part to save this world.

quote:

...I am off to kill myself, thereby saving the flowers and branches for future generations...

So sad... we'll miss ya. icon_frown.gif

Oh, and be careful where you fall. Like the old Homer & Jethro song said, "Don't jump off of the roof, Dad; you'll put a dent in the yard..." icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

In the post apocalyptic world 10,000 years from now, impoverished townsfolk stumble upon a rusted metal box buried beneath the surface. In the box they find several strange objects. Taking it back to the scientist in town, he discovers what must be some ancient toys with a symbol of two golden arches engraved into them, but most importantly he discovers a packet of corn seeds that are genetically pure and also a piece of technology that one day will help civilization back out of the dark ages. Maybe someday, far into the future, your cache will help a civilzation back to its feet. icon_wink.gif

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

quote:

All of this has given me a calling to a greater cause: I am off to kill myself, thereby saving the flowers and branches for future generations. I just can't live with the thought of having anything to do with the destruction of the environment, which would begin with me knocking off a tree leaf.

TEAM 360, doing his part to save this world.

At which point I must point you to the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.

quote:
A topic like this always calls out the conservation extremeists and religious fundametalists.

But the religous fundamentalists have no leg to stand on in this matter. I am a very religious man and remember a certain part of the Bible in which God tells man to be a good steward of the land.

Sounds like the first mention of CITO if you ask me.

I am no tree hugger, yet I dont beleive in trashing the forest because "God gave it to me". Such views are on each side of the spectrum. A nice happy middle is best.

And yes, I do think that if all the bunnies were killed that highways would cease to exist. icon_wink.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

And yes, I do think that if all the bunnies were killed that highways would cease to exist. icon_wink.gif

Of course, if highways didn't exist, we'd quickly be overrun by oppossums and raccoons.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by peripatetic:

At which point I must point you to the http://vhemt.org/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is just funny. The people who actually give a rats as$ about things quit breeding so that the ones who trample and rampage can take over. Not the wisest course of action.

The sad thing is that I know more than a few good people who should have kids because they are the cream of the crop, who have chosen oblivion instead of a family line.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on July 11, 2003 at 12:14 PM.]

Some parks will not let you geocache but they will let the "Rainbow Family" hippie bunch defecate in the parks they meet in all over the country. I would rather find 10,000 year old McToys than 10,000 yearold hippie doot.

Don't Drink And Park: Accidents Cause People.

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

...bear in mind that that the ecosystem includes, not excludes, US.

And furthermore, "US" are the only beings presently dwelling physically on the Earth with the intelligence to FIX the damage we cause.

When was the last time you saw a bear with a pooper scooper?

The envrionmentalists have accomplished a lot of good. It is very important that we manage the Earth responsibly- that was God's commission to us.

Does anyone really think we are so DUMB that we would actually poison ourselves out of existence?

We should thank the environmentalists for bringing problems to our attention, but use enough common sense that we don't throw out the baby (geocaching, technology, economy) with the bathwater (pollution, waste, over-use, delibarate damage).

Geocaching does not do any relevant damage to the environment and I wish they would put Freon back in my car AC so it would actually cool the car!

May we 'ave your liver then?

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

.........QUOTE: (ChurchCampDave)..........

We should thank the environmentalists for bringing problems to our attention, but use enough common sense that we don't throw out the baby (geocaching, technology, economy) with the bathwater (pollution, waste, over-use, delibarate damage).

Geocaching does not do any relevant damage to the environment...

=================I AGREE======================

Well I certainly wish the deer hunters would start doing their job and thin out the ranks some. ;D

After hitting a deer last fall and a dozen or so near misses since then I think the world could use a few less Bambi-types if you know what I mean.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."