Long, unecessary hikes through the woods.

Radman Forever

My experience in the UK:

I have just done the hike thing for no result but that is the great thing about this game. I drove to the general area of the cache and parked in the car park as close to the cache as I thought possible ( distance to the cache 1.3 miles). I walked about three miles getting within half a mile of the location but could not find a route to the cache without trespassing on a coalmine property and a railroad, so I made a retreat. Took my car and drove to a new location in a national park forest just a couple of miles further down the road, I dont know the area so thats why I didnt go there first, time was running out as the light was fading got to the location after a one mile jog, I didnt find the cache as it got too dark, on returning to the car found a note on my windshield from the rangers telling me the park had closed at 6;00pm and I was locked in! Happily the ranger was waiting at the entrance barrier to let me out so did not need to use the phone number on the note. In my opinion part of a good afternoon caching, I think I learned quite a bit.

Every game/hobby I've been involved with seems to have two major camps. Those who are doing it for the fun and enjoyment and those who are doing it for the fun and competition. The pressure always seems to come from the competetive people wanting you to join their game. Makes sense, they are of course competitive.Although I'm interested in statistics I'd rather have a nice pleasant walk to an interesting place than a quick find alongside a highway. But that's just me. Most of the problems I see people having is they seem to drive as close as they can, get out and follow their little arrow straight into the bushes for a mile or so and then blame the hider for their problems. A little research with the proper maps would make it more fun for me and no doubt less painful. When I'm looking for a cache I always ask myself, "Would the person maintaining this cache want to do this every month or so?" Usually helps me to choose which path to follow.

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Every game/hobby I've been involved with seems to have two major camps. Those who are doing it for the fun and enjoyment and those who are doing it for the fun and competition. The pressure always seems to come from the competetive people wanting you to join their game. Makes sense, they are of course competitive.Although I'm interested in statistics I'd rather have a nice pleasant walk to an interesting place than a quick find alongside a highway. But that's just me. Most of the problems I see people having is they seem to drive as close as they can, get out and follow their little arrow straight into the bushes for a mile or so and then blame the hider for their problems. A little research with the proper maps would make it more fun for me and no doubt less painful. When I'm looking for a cache I always ask myself, "Would the person maintaining this cache want to do this every month or so?" Usually helps me to choose which path to follow.

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher A. F. Randolph:

... we ended up going through a swamp trying to get back to our car and my friend fell into some muck and banged his head on a log. I had to drag him a half a mile through thick brushes to get back to my car.

I'm amazed a great story like that didn't make your log.

His tale does seem to have grown in the telling. My question is: were the thick brushes hair or scrub?

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:

... we ended up going through a swamp trying to get back to our car and my friend fell into some muck and banged his head on a log. I had to drag him a half a mile through thick brushes to get back to my car.

I'm amazed a great story like that didn't make your log.

His tale does seem to have grown in the telling. My question is: were the thick brushes hair or scrub?

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

Here's a link to the cache we visited two days ago. The whole time we were out, we cursed ourselves for not having a map. However, by the time we were finished, we were glad we didn't. It would have been too easy if we had one, and would have taken away the glory of the find. Check out the photos of the bread crumbs we left for ourselves........pretty funny looking back at it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29661

quote:

Last weekend, me and my friends went a mile through the woods when we came up to a two track road that could've saved us 9/10 of a mile walking! Not only that, we got lost for two hours and that ruined the rest of our day for caching. Has anyone else have an experience like that?

All part of the game.

Perhaps this RASH is not for you.

Zeolites unite!

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Morgan&Family:

If the cache is in dense forest or behind difficult terrain, it would be nice if the cache owner tells the coordinates of the starting point of the path that will lead near the the cache. That's what i will do with my next cache which will be in very difficult terrain.

my favorite hike to date has been a cache that had five possible starting points for the hike, each giving a different enjoyable long hike.

Sometimes it's nice when a starting point is given, especially when the trail is unusually unknown or not on current maps. sometimes the starting point is part of the puzzle.

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

The boys and I were returning to the car after our 100th find which had been planned for several days. After some pictures and a happy dance, I set the eTrex for trackback and off we went. Only problem was that when the trackback ended, the car was no where in sight. Apparently I was still confused by the time change and didn't choose a time far enough back!

The boys were real troopers as we poked around for a half hour or so to get back on track to the car. When we arrived at the car, another Geocaching team was getting set to go. Had I not made the trackback, we'd never have met them. icon_biggrin.gif

For the boys, it made thier day because they got to tell Mom that I made a mistake and got us lost in the woods...

George

The boys and I were returning to the car after our 100th find which had been planned for several days. After some pictures and a happy dance, I set the eTrex for trackback and off we went. Only problem was that when the trackback ended, the car was no where in sight. Apparently I was still confused by the time change and didn't choose a time far enough back!

The boys were real troopers as we poked around for a half hour or so to get back on track to the car. When we arrived at the car, another Geocaching team was getting set to go. Had I not made the trackback, we'd never have met them. icon_biggrin.gif

For the boys, it made thier day because they got to tell Mom that I made a mistake and got us lost in the woods...

George

Yesterday day we did a 4.5 cache a few miles from my house...We knew where we were to start and we knew it was going to be a bear. Its up a steep ravine past and through some old copper mines, complete with open shaft's. Right in the beginning, after we crossed the creek, just after leaving the truck, I noticed an old skid trail in the woods, heading off in the other direction, but going up hill...we both looked at each other and said, Naaaaa, it couldnt be that easy, that would defeat the 4.5 rating, sooooo we waded, scrambled, rock hopped, climbed and crawled our way to the cache....it was great!

On the way out we walked down the old skid trail and back to the truck, in a quarter of the time.......

I emailed the cacher and asked him if he knew about the road....he figured it out after placing the cache and decided not to mention it in the report....we did the same.

Rock Scout1 cache

Like my partner say's....If the pain don't kill ya, it'll make ya strong.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

It's all part of the game. Sure gets frustrating at times, we spent a good two hours on vacation recently just trying to find parking coordinates that were given! Sure wasn't the cache hiders fault, we just weren't familiar with the area and didn't research well enough in advance. Still enjoyed the cache.

On the way home from the same vacation we planned on hitting 4 highpoints. We also hoped to find a couple of caches. One cache was *only* 5 miles from the GA highpoint and had a waterfall as well. Turns out 5 miles in the mountains can mean a lot longer drive than we anticipated and on a one lane dirt road to boot! It was a lot of fun and the waterfall beautiful. We spent too much time there after spending too much time at the highpoint. Rather than just rush from point-to-point we decided we'd just come back to the area again. We ended up with only 2 highpoints on the return trip (3 for the entire trip) but had a great time.

Found several caches (don't remember the exact number) but certainly could have found many more if we'd just went for easy park-n-grab types. Nothing against these, it's just not why we got into geocaching in the first place.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.

Sometimes, I like to enter the numbers into the unit and take off for the site without any additional info. It is part of the hunt to drive to the area, find a place to park, find a route into the hide, than find it.The aciivty is then completed by getting out with as few scratches and bruises as possible. It forces me to make descisions, impliment them and adjust if necessary. The cool thing about this thing of ours is that you can make it as easy or as hard as you want to. (Some days, I just feel like driving to them.)

quote:
Originally posted by Bandit451:

Sometimes, I like to enter the numbers into the unit and take off for the site without any additional info.

For some reason, I read this as "I like to take the numbers off my unit and ..."

WOW--Bandit451 doesn't even need heading and bearing. I was impressed.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

Just because it was something stupid I did and nobody else will do. At the time I was really inexperienced and had no clue what I was doing. I just didn't want to discredit the cache I was talking about, because it won't happen to anyone else, only a klutz like me! icon_smile.gif I just wanted to see if that happened to anyone else, I wasn't complaining. If anyone was interested it was the "Rocks II" cache (if ppl have enough time in the world to want to check my profile and see it). I just talked about taking a wrong trail and getting lost.

Fathers and Sisters I have none but this man's father is none other than me, Tony De Angelo. I know, it doesn't make any sense!