Hiking shoe / Feet woes

ErSamin

My hiking boots and I just can't seem to get along. The area of blistering has migrated as I've worn them, but the same old thing; I go more than a few miles, and I've got blisters somewhere. Been to about 5 stores (REI, sporting good stores, Speciality shoe stores) and tried on everything they have....no luck. What fits the instep and arch do not fit the heel and vice versa. Tennis shoes don't seem to give me the traction that I desire for some of the trails around here. Running shoes seem to be the best compromise, but the uppers can't hold up to the stickers we have around here.

Any other hard-to-fit folks out there? What do you do for footwear? Any tricks you can teach me for better shoe fit?

"Could be worse...could be raining"

Buy a pair of shoes that are made of leather. Put them on, take the garden hose and fill them with water. mow the lawn, go for a walk, whatever but make sure you wear them untill they are dry. they will form to your feet like a glove. once dry, use some good boot oil on them. NOTE: IMPORTANT!!!! don't take them off wet - make sure they are dry. I break in all boots this way and have never had a problem.

It seems that your shoes don't fit. Some people have a difficult time getting a good fit. Remember, a good fit in the store doesn't necessarily translate to a good fit outdoors. When hiking, your feet will sweat and swell. If you're wearing a heavy pack, they'll also get a bit longer and wider.

Before you consign your boots to the closet though, try buying a good footbed ( Superfeet is an excellent one), or have a podiatrist make you custom orthotics (a much more expensive alternative, but it could be worth it). A good footbed can stabilize your foot and position it properly in the boot. It will also address some of the fit issues that occur once you step out of the showroom, like swelling and pronation.

Most important though, don't wear cotton socks!! Friction and moisture are the causes of blisters. Cotton socks retain moisture. Instead, get a good, light wool hiking sock like Thorlo, Smartwool, or Bridgedale. Wear them along with a thin polypropelene, or Coolmax sock liner . This will wick moisture away and help keep your feet dry. The two layers also reduce friction.

Also, try spraying your feet with an anti-perspirant before hiking to keep them dry.

Finally there are special lacing techniques that can be used to address fit problems like high instep, loose heal, etc... Here is a very good article on this subject and has examples of the various lacing techniques.

If none of this works, put a piece of duct tape, or moleskin over the hot spot BEFORE you go out.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 04, 2003 at 04:16 AM.]

Good ideas, above.

ErSamin, you don't mention your gender -- I don't suppose you are a woman?

It's hard for women to get good-fitting shoes because most women's athletic shoes either use a boy's last and size it up, or a man's last and size it down. Neither gives the more narrow heel and relatively wider toe box that a woman's foot typically requires. I buy shoes made by RYKA or other manufacturer who makes a last based on a woman's foot.

And if you're not a gal, then maybe this info will be useful to gals reading this thread. icon_smile.gif

52813_3100.gif

What happened to good old fashioned Shoe Makers??

Manufactured shoes are a problem, I wear a half size larger, to make sure that the sides don't pinch. Also the feet may not be perfectly matched.(One foot slightly different than the other)

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

Honeychile, thanks for the hint. Where do you find the RYKA shoes? I, too, have been everywhere and can't find a good fit. My last stop was at Whole Earth, and they said if I got leather shoes, they could "boil" them (I think they were talking about steaming them at high temps) and then forming the heel to my foot. Didn't do this because you had to buy the boot first, and I hadn't heard of the process before. Has anyone else done this? I'm scheduled for some hefty hiking and backpacking this fall, and am desperate at this point.

Montrail make a few boots on a womens last, Alos try on both boots. no one has two feet that are the same, there will be at least a half size diferance.

A few thoughts.

If you are using full leather boots, these will take around 30 days to break in, maybe more if they are heavy duty.

If you are using cotton sox, this may be the problem, cotton sox will retain moisture and can cause your feet to slip in the boots, this=blisters. Try a good hiking sock with at least 30% wool, the wool will wick the moisture away from your foot and help prevent blisters and other foot problems. I stoped wearing cotton sox 20 years ago.

How many brands have you tried? No brand will fit everyone, if the sales person tells you otherwise, find another salesperson or go to another store.

While REI carries high end gear, REI also pays a very low wage, Wage=quality of staff. You may find your self with an under trained sales person.

icon_cool.gif I have a narrow foot size (B width) and have problems buying boots that fit. A few boots are cut a bit narrower, and I look for designs with laces that go all the way down to the toe, or at least close, so that I can use the laces to adjust the fit. But sometimes that is not enough, so I may buy a pair of sole inserts to take up some of the extra space. You have to be careful with the inserts, if they are too thick and soft they will allow your foot to move in the boot as you walk, which means rubbing and blisters. I like Gore-Tex because it is both comfortable and waterproof, for wading shallow streams.

FWIW,

CharlieP

I have a custom pair of boots made while at a renassance fair, they are excellent and almost like walking barefoot. I wear the to easy terrain cahces. Any 3 star and above I wear my combat boots, and make sure that I tie them TIGHT. so my foot doesnt slip around in them. You may also want to check out moleskin, it reduces the friction between your flech and the boots.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

BrianSnat's advice looks great to me. I have about 6 pair of hiking shoes/boots in my closet at the moment, different styles for different conditions. The one thing they have in common however as I take my time to find something that fits great, which comes with experience. I keep several pair of good socks, and generally take a spare set along with me for areas where I expect a lot of crud to be getting into the tops of my boots. Wear good socks, a shoe that fits right and is well broken in, and you should be able to do many miles in tough terrain without problems.

A couple of ideas. The first is to try finding a local shoe store where the owner still works there. They are more likely to actually fit a pair of shoes/boots to your foot than any chain location. Don't be discouraged by the lack of hiking boots on display, a solid store under local ownership will order from many different sources and can probably order anything you want. If they can't, but you buy tennis/dress shoes from them on a regular basis they will probably consult with you on finding a boot that works for you and make recomendations. As for price, our local store is competitive, but if the shoe/boot fits well what difference does $10/$15 either way matter?

The second thing is to buy boots at the end of a day on your feet. Things may be a little snug in a size 10 at the beginning of a day, but you might be an obvious size 10 1/2 after being on your feet all day. (with a fresh pair of socks of course icon_biggrin.gif)

Finally, if you're lucky enough to find the "perfect pair" of boots buy a couple of pair when you can. Small changes made by a manufacturer every other year to keep a shoe/boot fresh in the market may just make them useless for you.

Fit is important, the boots should not be loose. I am hard to size because I have tiny feet (Women's 5 or Youth 3), but I just found a great pair of Vasque boots in my size at the Seirra Trading Post outlet store in Wyoming. Sometimes the tiny feet is a bonus. I got a pair of boots worth about $140 for $32!

I think what Brian said about socks is very important. Blisters tend to form when the feet are damp from perspiration. A good wicking sock keeps your feet dry. I love Thorlo socks.

I also think the thing about wearing the boots wet until they dry can work. Especially for leather boots. I have broken in leather dance shoes that way and it works very well for them. My new boots are not leather, but I got them completely soaked crossing a stream in Colorado and wore them until they were nearly dry. They felt much more broken in after that.

pokeanim3.gif

I agree with 2cachehunters,

quote:
posted August 04, 2003 03:13 AM

Buy a pair of shoes that are made of leather. Put them on, take the garden hose and fill them with water. mow the lawn, go for a walk, whatever but make sure you wear them untill they are dry. they will form to your feet like a glove. once dry, use some good boot oil on them. NOTE: IMPORTANT!!!! don't take them off wet - make sure they are dry. I break in all boots this way and have never had a problem.

I have tried Rocky boots, but they were too narrow for my feet. Tried Timberline and they simply wore wrong, so I went back to Columbia boots. I had used an old pair of Columbia leather boots so much the tread had worn off. Got a new pair of Elkhorns in 71/2 and wet them and wore them until dry. Perfect fit.

The right socks are important too. Get SmartWool socks with PowerSox liner, and don't spray your feet with antiperspirant, as they should sweat, but you need a wicking liner like PowerSox to wick the sweat away from your skin.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

A funny thing happen on the way to the cache---

There are two pieces of gear I could never make recommendations on--boots and backpacks. I have found over the years that these two critical pieces of equipment are far to important and unique to the individual to make recommendations.

When I purchased my last pair of "mid duty" hikeing boots, I must have tried on 30 or 40 pair before I settled on my Vasque Sundowners. WHile in the store I HAD to strap them on and get on "the Ramp", an elevated board to simulate up hill, downhill and side stepping. I also had to ensure that I wore some high quality synthetic backpacking socks when I tried them on. Socks are also critical to boot comfort and fit. Wrong socks=hotspots and discomfort.

I have logged many, many miles, in many, many conditions in my trusty vasque's ans like to think I am still breaking mine in. It seems like evertime I strap them on, them feel a little bit better.

Now here's a little wisdom, if I know I am traveling long distances off improved surfaces or the potential exists for pretty rough terrain I strap on the ole hiking boots. If it look like pretty simple terrain, I typically go with my trail runners.

Another aspect of boot comfort lies in the inserts. Vasque is well known in the hiking community for having inferior inserts. I immediately trashed the stock inserts and replaced them with a high quality insert with a little arch support.

Hope this helps a little.

These boots are made for caching.......

I don't have a link but there was a spotlight on a company on the TODAY SHOW a few months ago (I think it was the TODAY SHOW). It featured a company which makes boots/shoes tailor made for the customer.

They send you a small cardboard box when you place your order filled with a foam or gel which holds it shape when pressure is applied. You are supposed to step on it in your bare feet. Then you send the mold back to the company and they make the boots based on your foot and arch.

That's about all I know. It sounded like a really neat idea.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Brian Snat mentioned:

Most important though, don't wear cotton socks!! Friction and moisture are the causes of blisters. Cotton socks retain moisture. Instead, get a good, light wool hiking sock like Thorlo, Smartwool, or Bridgedale. Wear them along with a thin polypropelene, or Coolmax sock liner . This will wick moisture away and help keep your feet dry. The two layers also reduce friction.

This is a very important point.Socks are the source of a lot of blisters....cotton is an absolute no no! I personally do not wear the thicker sock/liner system, but it works very well for a lot of hikers.

My system is just a pair of Wick-dry synthetic material hiking socks from REI. Worked great for me.

My boots are Italian made: Zamberlain Trekkers. These boots are a step below pure mountaineering boots and are suitable for backpacking and day hiking. I can wear these shoes all day. Sole is Vibram. Make sure your boot has Vibram Soles.

There are those Hi-Tec lighter hiking shoes you can buy at Big 5. Those work well for general day hikes on trails with good tread. However, if the trail is rocky, you will feel the rocks. These shoes make great everyday shoes and can be used on a spur of the momemt short hike. I own a pair such use.

quote:
Another aspect of boot comfort lies in the inserts. Vasque is well known in the hiking community for having inferior inserts. I immediately trashed the stock inserts and replaced them with a high quality insert with a little arch support.

The insoles that most boots come with are inferior. That's why getting a pair of Superfeet is key. You can easily pull them out and move them from boot, to boot, so one pair is enough.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Many years ago I bought a pair of Rocky boots that felt okay however I wore the soles off after 5 years. Next, I got a pair of Danner all leather hunting boots. They are built very good however, they do give me blisters. So, two years ago before a week long Boundry Waters trip, I purchased a pair of ASOLO hiking boots. These boots are AWESOME. There was no break-in period. The ASOLO's have never given me a blister and they are very well made. I will never go back to any other brand. I'm an ASOLO hiking boot fan for life.

quote:

That is interesting. I have high arches and need support. I'll look into an insert. Now I just need to get a small one! I have had troubles before getting inserts for running shoes in women's 5. Any suggestions?

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Brian Snat mentioned:

This is a very important point.Socks are the source of a lot of blisters....cotton is an absolute no no! I personally do not wear the thicker sock/liner system, but it works very well for a lot of hikers.

My system is just a pair of Wick-dry synthetic material hiking socks from REI. Worked great for me.

My boots are Italian made: Zamberlain Trekkers. These boots are a step below pure mountaineering boots and are suitable for backpacking and day hiking. I can wear these shoes all day. Sole is Vibram. Make sure your boot has Vibram Soles.

There are those Hi-Tec lighter hiking shoes you can buy at Big 5. Those work well for general day hikes on trails with good tread. However, if the trail is rocky, you will feel the rocks. These shoes make great everyday shoes and can be used on a spur of the momemt short hike. I own a pair such use.

I wouldn't get to hung up on Vibam soles. icon_rolleyes.gif The Vibran company cannot always fill the orders they get for soles from the boot companies. As a result most boot manufactures only offer Vibram on the higher priced models, A $200.00 boot for geocaching is overkill. Most boot companies offer soles that are going be just fine for Geocaching, icon_wink.gifunless you are using a 40+ pound pack when you are seeking a cache there is no need for an expensive boot, you should be spending around $100-$150 on a geocahe boot. icon_biggrin.gif

Must be nice for the problem to be skinny feet... My problem is that my feet are really wide and I have an extra high instep to boot, so I have major problems... Wide women's shoes aren't wide whatsoever... And if it's a high boot, I wear extra wide even in Men's shoes.. try finding extra wide men's shoes anywhere...

quote:
That is interesting. I have high arches and need support. I'll look into an insert. Now I just need to get a small one! I have had troubles before getting inserts for running shoes in women's 5. Any suggestions?

Carleen, check out my link for Superfeet in my earlier post. They go down to size 4 (I'm guessing that's mens though), but they can be cut to fit if they are too long.

If you have never spent $200 or more on a pair of hiking boots, you don't know what you're missing. This is one item where you truly do get what you pay for. Shoes will make the differencec between a miserable day or a long, but enjoyable hike.

The only shoes worth buying are made either in Germany, Italy or the US. That's "made in the continental US", not just a US brand. If your feet are truly hard to fit, you should look to the bootmakers who do custom or semi-custom work. If not, Vasque is a very good place to start, but stick to the leather shoes for off-trail hiking.

If you have to resort to soaking or any other tricks to get your boots to fit, you're boots are the wrong size/shape. A properly sized and fitted boot will fit you comfortably from the start, and will break-in in a matter of days - not weeks.

I have been through the gamut of hiking boots, and favor Vasque boots for light work. But I am now a believer in custom boots from Nick's (similar to Whites, but lighter) in the style designed for forestry workers for long days and/or rough terrain. Expect to pay $300 or so for the best - and expect them to last for years of hard use. Make sure an experienced boot/shoe repairman or one who actually uses the same boots fits you personally.

Synthetic sock liners help reduce the friction that causes blisters - but if your shoes actually fit, it's not that big an issue for moderate hiking.

"...clear as mud?"

Lots of great advice here.

I'd like to emphasize something Briansnat brought up. Sock Liners.

If you get synthetic sock liners (cheaper than the original silk ones) the friction occurs between the socks, not against your skin.

This also sounds like the least expensive thing to try first.

Long distance runners often use "blister-proof" socks wich are simply a double-layer sock. They have worked miracles for me.

I also get callouses in certain spots. They keep getting thicker which eventually causes more pressure in that spot. So every once in a while, I take them down about 80%. Not all the way or else you have to start over with tender skin.. Leaving some there provides some protection in a spot you body is already trying to protect.

Try the sock liner approach. I'd bet that improves your situation noticeably.

Faster, Better, Cheaper

Pick any two.

quote:
Carleen, check out my link for Superfeet in my earlier post. They go down to size 4 (I'm guessing that's mens though), but they can be cut to fit if they are too long.

Thanks Brian! I have had luck with cut to fit before if I can get close to my size! seems like that might work!

quote:
The only shoes worth buying are made either in Germany, Italy or the US. That's "made in the continental US", not just a US brand. If your feet are truly hard to fit, you should look to the bootmakers who do custom or semi-custom work. If not, Vasque is a very good place to start, but stick to the leather shoes for off-trail hiking.

If you have to resort to soaking or any other tricks to get your boots to fit, you're boots are the wrong size/shape. A properly sized and fitted boot will fit you comfortably from the start, and will break-in in a matter of days - not weeks.

I have been through the gamut of hiking boots, and favor Vasque boots for light work.

I must say that I LOVE my new Vasque boots. Yes, they are light/medium boots, which fits my needs fairly well and they did great bushwacking through a stream and up a mountain. They also were quite broken in for me after only one hike. No blisters, just a little rubbing on my left ankle. The stream crossing seemed to fix that. Great ankle support from them too!

quote:
Long distance runners often use "blister-proof" socks wich are simply a double-layer sock. They have worked miracles for me.

Yep. Back when I was crazy enough to run that far, I knew several marathon runners who used those. I just simply used a cool-max sock and when I thought blisters were going to hit, I tended to get lucky and find someone with vaseline at an aid station that I could slather on my toes. I also carried some in my running shorts pocket on long training runs just in case. That worked for me, but I have read since that the vaseline route doesn't work for most! I guess I was lucky!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

If you have never spent $200 or more on a pair of hiking boots, you don't know what you're missing. This is one item where you truly do get what you pay for. Shoes will make the differencec between a miserable day or a long, but enjoyable hike.

I have been through the gamut of hiking boots, and favor Vasque boots for light work. But I am now a believer in custom boots from Nick's (similar to Whites, but lighter) in the style designed for forestry workers for long days and/or rough terrain. Expect to pay $300 or so for the best - and expect them to last for years of hard use. Make sure an experienced boot/shoe repairman or one who actually uses the same boots fits you personally.

Synthetic sock liners help reduce the friction that causes blisters - but if your shoes actually fit, it's not that big an issue for moderate hiking.

"...clear as mud?"

I do own hiking boots in the $200.00+ range, but I also own around 6 pairs of boots priced from $125.00 and up. You do not need a $200.00 for geocaching, what you need is a boot that will suit your need. A Vasque Clarion is a very good boot for light hiking (Geocaching) if it fit your foot. If you are not going to be on trails off steep terrain a low top would work.

By the way I sell hiking boots and have for a long time, I do not know of any reputable boot fitter that will sell a person more boot than they need.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyvegas:

I do own hiking boots in the $200.00+ range, but I also own around 6 pairs of boots priced from $125.00 and up. You do not need a $200.00 for geocaching, what you need is a boot that will suit your need. A Vasque Clarion is a very good boot for light hiking (Geocaching) if it fit your foot. If you are not going to be on trails off steep terrain a low top would work.

By the way I sell hiking boots and have for a long time, I do not know of any reputable boot fitter that will sell a person more boot than they need.

Agree with your post 100%, JV. I made the mistake of assuming that other geocachers will be looking for caches like this or this or especially this.

While I still maintain that anyone who spends hours at a time on their feet will appreciate a high-end boot (I sure do!), the less expensive Vasques are some of the best fitting and most comfortable (for me) boots for light work.

"...clear as mud?"

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

quote:

Agree with your post 100%, JV. I made the mistake of assuming that other geocachers will be looking for caches like http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=43072 or http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&ID=81792&decrypt=y&log= or especially http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=745a34ba-29e5-4fe3-8940-f1bb63b278c1.

While I still maintain that anyone who spends hours at a time on their feet will appreciate a high-end boot (I sure do!), the less expensive Vasques are some of the best fitting and most comfortable (for me) boots for light work.

"...clear as mud?"

I forgot to mention that I keep my $200.00+ boots close by when I do not think I need them, just in case. For cith caches in the summer, my Teva sandles work just fine icon_smile.gif

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Brian Snat mentioned:

I wouldn't get to hung up on Vibam soles. icon_rolleyes.gif The Vibran company cannot always fill the orders they get for soles from the boot companies. As a result most boot manufactures only offer Vibram on the higher priced models, A $200.00 boot for geocaching is overkill. Most boot companies offer soles that are going be just fine for Geocaching, icon_wink.gifunless you are using a 40+ pound pack when you are seeking a cache there is no need for an expensive boot, you should be spending around $100-$150 on a geocahe boot. icon_biggrin.gif

That may be true for those who just geocache...that's correct, but I'm an avid hiker so I must have those soles.

You may want to go see a chiropractor or podatrist and see about getting orthodic insoles.

I got a pair and after the break in period they are great. They are custom made to fit your footprint, giving correction to needed areas of you have fallen arches or one leg a touch shorter than the other.

May be worth looking into.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I wear boots all day every day. Have for ten years or so. Vasque boots are O.K., but I tend to wear them out in a year or so. The best, most comfortable boots I have found are Birkenstocks. Those of you who have worn the sandals before know how comfortable Birkenstock's are. The boots feel just the same, but with more support. I wear them for 12 hours a day, then come home and don't even bother to take them off, since they are so comfortable. They give your feet plenty of room, as well as plenty of arch support. Anyone who has problems getting shoes wide enough to fit should check them out. Mine are waterproof, and cost about $270.00 (worth every penny), but there are several cheaper options (including a low cut hiking shoe, also waterproof) for someone who doesn't need that much boot. Anyway, here is my recommendation:

http://www.birkenstock.com/styles/442051/manager=ProdDisplay&category=20o40&prodType=40o43o46o49&simple_color=40&simple_material=10&user_id=0&store_id=0&page=1&cat=adv

Ooooh! That Birkenstock page had me salivating! As long as the conditions and situation allow, I am almost exclusively in Birkenstocks (even my dress 'church' shoes are Birkenstocks!). I will keep that possibility in the back of my mind.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone for thier suggestions. I wet the boots (can't tell yet if that helped at all...but it did make me feel like I had trenchfoot), got a pair of Superfeet insoles, some sock liners and am experementing with some of the lacing techniques that BrianSnat provided. The semi-big test will be Sunday...a full day of caching. This will be a day in and out of the car, though, not a through hike, so the jury is still out on if any of this will be 'the answer' for me.

Just an update to the post immediate preceeding. Went out for a full day of full-bore geocaching. 21 caches, (only one no-find), some walks of a mile, but lots were shorter. Some climbing up and down some steep slopes and over some rocks. Using the items above, had no blisters, no hot spots, and after chilling out for a while, the feet feel good as new!

Maybe not the ultimate answer, but good enough for now.