The Oldest Active Geocache

blackjak

If you go by "date placed" on the cache, you'd find this rule breaker.

It was published on Nov. 3, 2008 but the cache page says it was hidden on May 3, 2000

That's the EXACT same day that Dave Ulmer hid the very first original cache.

Found-It logs HAVE to be dated in the past, which messes with your milestones.

The GC # is what made me discover this one.

GC1HTTN - Daylight Saving Time Machine http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6c-ae731d61f423

If you go by "date placed" on the cache, you'd find this rule breaker.

It was published on Nov. 3, 2008 but the cache page says it was hidden on May 3, 2000

That's the EXACT same day that Dave Ulmer hid the very first original cache.

Found-It logs HAVE to be dated in the past, which messes with your milestones.

The GC # is what made me discover this one.

GC1HTTN - Daylight Saving Time Machine http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6c-ae731d61f423

Thank you for bringing back a 6+ year old thread. :)

Does anyone know how to do a search which would reveal the oldest active geocache? anyone know which one this is?<BR><BR>Update-- forget it I found it.. it's Mountain Marsh. Used the "search" utilities icon_wink.gif<!--graemlin::)--><BR><BR>I wonder why a post can't be deleted once it's posted.

The answer to question one, how to do it, is to search by waypoint and start with GC1, GC2... GCA...GCF, GC10... It was hexadecimal in the beginning.

Another way is to search the state where geocaching started, and nearby states, and states with mega loads of caches (like Texas) and go to the last page. Look for low GC numbers and ignore anything with 'faked' placed dates, i.e. those with modern numbers.

The answer to your second question is; Forum posts can't be deleted (well they can but only in extreme situations) is that 1. There is no such thing as a stupid question. 2. Others can always benefit from someone elses questions and answers. 3. The forums are all part of history, forever.

Boy do I feel stupid. Bit by that history thing and didn't even notice it.

Edited by trainlove

Mingo's already been mentioned. Here are some others:

Worlds Oldest 100 Geocaches - List is slightly out of date but still useful.

Oldest active state/province caches - Oldest single cache in each state/province for the USA and Canada

1st Placed State Cache - First cache EVER placed in each USA state, some are archived.

US Oldest Active Traditional Caches by State - Bookmark list of 10 oldest caches in each USA state + DOC (mostly up-to-date)

ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE - Not that old itself, but it's placed in the same location as the original cache.

Oldest active state/province caches - Oldest single cache in each state/province for the USA and Canada

1st Placed State Cache - First cache EVER placed in each USA state, some are archived.

US Oldest Active Traditional Caches by State - Bookmark list of 10 oldest caches in each USA state + DOC (mostly up-to-date)

ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE - Not that old itself, but it's placed in the same location as the original cache.

Awesome! Thanks for the links. Didn't know I had found the oldest cache-Camp Cache -in my state last summer until checking this out.

I'm so excited that I'm getting to find GC39 'The Spot' on Sunday!!!

I bet your wife will be very happy!

(...)

Sorry, this is a family forum. :) I found GC43, Europe's First, earlier this year. beautiful cache.

.. and this thread is really friggin old!

Edited by benh57

I bet your wife will be very happy!

(...)

Sorry, this is a family forum. :blink: I found GC43, Europe's First, earlier this year. beautiful cache.

.. and this thread is really friggin old!

Boo Hiss...

...And I'm not married, so... :laughing:

I don't know how accurate the rest of the oldest state/province list is, but California is wrong.

The oldest active cache in Ca is GC5B Phils Memorial Cache 9-10-00 predating the listed cache by 2 weeks :laughing:

That one is on my short list as it's less than 50 miles from home. Hope the snow depth doesn't give you any trouble.

In a few weeks I'll be heading to Rhode Island for a conference and hope to grab the oldest caches in RI and Connecticut. Both are a short distance from my planned travel route.

That one is on my short list as it's less than 50 miles from home. Hope the snow depth doesn't give you any trouble.

In a few weeks I'll be heading to Rhode Island for a conference and hope to grab the oldest caches in RI and Connecticut. Both are a short distance from my planned travel route.

Fortunately, We all have snowshoes and at a bare minimum Packrat will have a shovel. We managed to dig out a cache in Perth, ON called Road Island last Saturday - It was either on the ground, or very near to it (Once we found it, we stopped digging), but it was under more than three feet of packed snow! (I didn't find it, I had dug deeper though)

That's one of the advantages of having a fairly large group with you

Edited by Taoiseach

I don't know how accurate the rest of the oldest state/province list is, but California is wrong.

The oldest active cache in Ca is GC5B Phils Memorial Cache 9-10-00 predating the listed cache by 2 weeks :laughing:

Tell tiki-4, it's their list.

Hmm. The Spot is off a "seasonal, limited use highway" (i.e. a dirt road), and a lot of snow just came through upstate NY. Hopefully, you can still grab it. Heck, I'd walk 2 miles to grab it, it's a great cache.

No idea what the oldest cache in Connecticut is, but Brenton Point in RI is a nice cache, that you can park 500 feet from.

Hmm. The Spot is off a "seasonal, limited use highway" (i.e. a dirt road), and a lot of snow just came through upstate NY. Hopefully, you can still grab it. Heck, I'd walk 2 miles to grab it, it's a great cache.

No idea what the oldest cache in Connecticut is, but Brenton Point in RI is a nice cache, that you can park 500 feet from.

I think that if we can get to and from The Spot in a day, there is almost a guarantee that we're going to get it. We're all pretty committed

I'm really looking forward to Subway Cache too!

Rochester Trip is getting closer! I went and got some American money today - Now I'm really getting excited!

The oldest active cache in Ca is GC5B Phils Memorial Cache 9-10-00 predating the listed cache by 2 weeks :)

Cache was archived in 2002 and someone put out a new cache in 2006 so this cache is around 3 years old.

For another list of oldest active (continuous) caches by state, go here.

Edited by baloo&bd

I think that if we can get to and from The Spot in a day, there is almost a guarantee that we're going to get it. We're all pretty committed

I'm really looking forward to Subway Cache too!

Rochester Trip is getting closer! I went and got some American money today - Now I'm really getting excited!

Hey, if you're in Rochester, you're only going to be 60 miles from the oldest cache in Ontario, Deer Bait. Why not take the long way home?

This The Spot thing is going to take a serious commitment! When I found it in mid-April a couple of years ago, I was the first finder since the previous October. I'll shoot you an email though, no sense in discussing the logistical approach to a particular cache here.

Cache was archived in 2002 and someone put out a new cache in 2006 so this cache is around 3 years old.

Not to start a debate (and I'm quite sure that cache has been debated before), but I doubt "they" would let something like that fly again. :)

The oldest active cache in Ca is GC5B Phils Memorial Cache 9-10-00 predating the listed cache by 2 weeks :)

Tell tiki-4, it's their list.

Contacted them and they revised it :laughing: