Waterproof Containers, please!

Help! I really need to find a good, reasonably priced cache container. I use ammo boxes now, but sometimes those are not available, or not appropriate for some other reason.

Jolly recommended Rubbermaid Collector's Jars in this thread, but I have been unable to find those. Does anyone know where to buy them in the No. VA area? or online? I tried the rubbermaid.com site, but couldn't locate any info about that product at all.

Thanks!

-BB

I Think this may be what you are looking for. It is available online from Walgreens for $4.29 and holds 1 Gallon. 13299.gif

I saw a container at Big Lotsthat was plastic and had a gasket around the lid. It had tabs on each side that locked the lid on. Plan to pick up a few and see how they do.

[This message was edited by SearchRescueDog on November 02, 2003 at 02:57 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

Has anyone tried using some of that plumber's tape (not sure what it's called) around the threads before closing the screw-top? I think that might work; at least better than nothing. I may start carrying some, just to repair leaky caches I find. I guess it would only work on the screw-top kind though.

It's called Teflon tape. Available by the roll at any hardware store.

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"

quote:

Has anyone tried using some of that plumber's tape (not sure what it's called) around the threads before closing the screw-top? I think that might work; at least better than nothing. I may start carrying some, just to repair leaky caches I find. I guess it would only work on the screw-top kind though.

Dope tape (to user plumber's slang). Very fragile. It will be destroyed after the lid is unscrewed a few times.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
It's called Teflon tape. Available by the roll at any hardware store.

It's a good thought but, Teflon tape is very thin and designed to seal the threads once. If the lid is removed and replaced several times it will cut through the tape and render it useless. Another thought...plumbing supply houses sell gasket material by the sheet. You could make a custom gasket for the container of your choice as long as it has a screw on lid. Just a thought.

This is no time for fun and games...FIND THE CACHE!!

Backpackers carry water in wide-mouth (2" diameter opening) screw-top bottles that have very good waterproof seals. Nalgene is the brand name, and the Lexan version (less that $8/copy) is considerably tougher than the slightly cheaper polyethylene version. I'm going to try the quart/liter size, and slip it inside a sack sewn from camoflage fabric. I recently filled one with dry scraps of paper, sank it under a foot of water for 12 hours - and it came up bone dry inside! Nalgene also makes little 1 oz. and 2 oz. wide-mouth polyethylene "bottles', and their excellent seals might also make them good choices for micros.

Of course, we always have to rely on visitors to carefully secure the watertight seals before they re-hide them - and that is never a certainty. So I think waterproof log books are a worthwhile idea, and Travel Bugs and trade items that are also impervious to dampness also make sense.

Here are the Nalgene bottles that Current Resident referred to. They are OK, but larger trade items won't fit inside. You also have to cut down the log book to make it fit easily.

Nalgene Straight Jars also make good, inexpensive, waterproof micros. They come in 2, 4 and 16 oz sizes.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

A good alternative to use are Lock&Lock Containers. They have a durable latch on all four sides and a soft rubber gaskets on the lid which seems to keep them watertight. I have a few in use and they seem to be working well. Safeway stores had a special deal on a variety pack of a few different sizes this summer. Price came out to about a dollar apiece!

Here is a link to the official site. You might need a languge pack installed to view it in English.

Moondog3.com - Portland Geocaching

Another container idea is to make one out of PVC pipe. I have two that are like that and they are water-tight. After all, PVC pipe is commonly used for plumbing. I have a picture of one of my tubes, but I seemed to have misplaced it. Anyway, use about 12 inches of pipe, 4" diameter or bigger. Cap one end and put a removable lid on the other. Paint it, stuff it, and place it. Looks nice, is water-tight, and will never rust.

mystats.php?userid=Lord+Elwood&vopt=link&txtdata=Stats+Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000<BR>Step lightly and carry a big gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Elwood:

Another container idea is to make one out of PVC pipe. I have two that are like that and they are water-tight. After all, PVC pipe is commonly used for plumbing. I have a picture of one of my tubes, but I seemed to have misplaced it. Anyway, use about 12 inches of pipe, 4" diameter or bigger. Cap one end and put a removable lid on the other. Paint it, stuff it, and place it. Looks nice, is water-tight, and will never rust.

A local cacher (missingscout) also makes those, but his are from 3". He even makes a "geo-tool" from some weatherproof material in his shop to fit the cache end for easy opening. REALLY cool cache containers. His most recent is called "X marks the spot" and is a X-shaped cache of PVC. Very neat!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Seen a sorta dry box at local Gander Mountain. It was made by gpsoutdoors. The little box was like 15 bucks icon_eek.gif , and looked like a glorified Lock&lock, but it claimed to be waterproof etc etc(it was designed for rafting and backpacking I guess).

-------------------------------

"You see, if a group is going to represent people, it needs to be in touch with those people." -Frolickin

****12 inches of pipe, 4" diameter or bigger. Cap one end and put a removable lid on the other. Paint it, stuff it, and place it. Looks nice, is water-tight, and will never rust.

I think this may be a little off topic. icon_eek.gif

I noticed some of the large coffee cans are now plastic. Anyone try those yet?

Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.

-Roland, The Gunslinger

United States Plastic Corp. is a good source for plastic cache containers of almost any size. This link will take you to a 1 gallon size, but there are many other options and all are at reasonable prices.

I've purchased from them a couple of times and would highly recommend them. However, I have never used any of their items for caches. I have a local dealer where I can get ammo boxes for $2.00 each, so I've stuck with those for now.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there.

Matthew 5:1-11

quote:

PVC piles have some drawbacks. First you have to be really careful where you place them, lest some muggle calls out the bomb squad. Second, they can become very difficult to open. Not every geocacher carrys a wrench.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

For plastic containers, it seems that the clear plastic "pretzel jar" type container with the screw on tops always stay bone dry inside. Just need to go to someplace like Walmart and buy a $3 jar full of pretzels (or popcorn or cheap candy or whatever). The only problem is that the opening is usually only about 5" wide making it hard to get some trade items or even the log in and out. But they seem to usually hold more than the usual shallow tupperware containers that everybody else uses.

quote:

Help! I really need to find a good, reasonably priced cache container. I use ammo boxes now, but sometimes those are not available, or not appropriate for some other reason.

Jolly recommended Rubbermaid Collector's Jars in http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=73660737, but I have been unable to find those. Does anyone know where to buy them in the No. VA area? or online? I tried the rubbermaid.com site, but couldn't locate any info about that product at all.

Thanks!

-BB

Those collector jars rock. As long as the last finder gets the lid back on correctly they are totally water proof. I had a cache in Indy along the river which was under water for several days (It was pinned down by a rock so it didn't float away). When the water went down it was dry as a bone inside. I was really impressed.

Ammo Cans are water tight as well but I notice they get a lot condensation on the inside because of the metal. Some cache owners put those little gel packs in side to absorb the moisture. Not sure if it works.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"I'd like to buy the world a coke, but I only have fifty cents"

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:

PVC piles have some drawbacks. First you have to be really careful where you place them, lest some muggle calls out the bomb squad. Second, they can become very difficult to open. Not every geocacher carrys a wrench.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

That's the truth. I had trouble with a few of these last winter. Had to take off my belt and twist it with a stick to make a wrench on one.

Jolly R. Blackburn

quote:
Originally posted by Jeeters:

For plastic containers, it seems that the clear plastic "pretzel jar" type container with the screw on tops always stay bone dry inside. Just need to go to someplace like Walmart and buy a $3 jar full of pretzels (or popcorn or cheap candy or whatever). The only problem is that the opening is usually only about 5" wide making it hard to get some trade items or even the log in and out. But they seem to usually hold more than the usual shallow tupperware containers that everybody else uses.

Big draw back of those pretzel jars is that the shatter in subzero weather. Someone placed several of these locally last winter and they were all replaced or archived within a few months. Something to think about if you live in a cold clime.

Jolly R. Blackburn

If you are lucky enough to know someone in the aerial maping biz the film canisters from the large format stuff works great. I still have a few from days gone by and the are great. Check the yellow pages, we used to toss them in the trash

pat

[This message was edited by vtpaddler on November 03, 2003 at 02:18 PM.]

quote:
Johnnie Stalkers pondered:

I noticed some of the large coffee cans are now plastic. Anyone try those yet?

Came upon one yesterday. And wow, everything inside smelled like coffee well enough that even in the freezing weather with a largely non-functional, and frozen sniffer it was REALLY noticeable.

No idea what the longevity on such an item would be. This particular can had only been out for a week in the rain and snow. It's hiding place was still dry, as were the contents. The lid doesn't come across as being a long-term keep-things-dry kind of a lid, tho. Much like that of a metal coffee can only in a different color.

-=-

michelle

Plano makes waterproof boxes that are meant to hold dry flies for fly fishing. They come in a 6 pack of varying sizes for about $5 at my local fishing specialty store. I'll see if I can find their web address.

I've recently bought ammo can-sized dry boxes from this fella on eBay. My newest box only cost $8.50 ~ they go for $30 at REI!

-------

~ Texas Geocaching ~ Geocaching Icons - The Selector ~

[This message was edited by 9Key on November 03, 2003 at 09:10 PM.]

Kmart sells plastic jars with screw top lids, same thing as a peanut butter container., I bought some camofloug material and glued it to the jar with some glue that came in an aresol can. Jars come in Quart, 1/2 Gallon and Gallon sizes. The camofloug material also protects it a little from the sun.

Somewhere In ND

South of the hill

North of the tree

For the PVC pipe containers, I have not heard any complaints yet about the lids being too tight, but I can see where that could be a problem. I usually carry a multitool on my belt when I go Geocaching, so I did not think about those who don't.

As for the danger of being mistaken for a pipe bomb, I had that same thought. That is why i created a stencil out of a piece of cardboard and painted GEOCACHE is silver spraypaint on it. I know that it still won't help the muggles, but it is better that nothing.

If any of my caches ever get mistaken for bombs, then I switch to (and God forgive me for saying this) Tupperware!!

mystats.php?userid=Lord+Elwood&vopt=link&txtdata=Stats+Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

Step lightly and carry a big gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Navdog:

A good alternative to use are http://www.heritagemercantile.com/products/LL/LLmain.html They have a durable latch on all four sides and a soft rubber gaskets on the lid which seems to keep them watertight. I have a few in use and they seem to be working well. Safeway stores had a special deal on a variety pack of a few different sizes this summer. Price came out to about a dollar apiece!

http://www.locknlock.com/default.htm is a link to the official site. You might need a languge pack installed to view it in English.

http://www.moondog3.com - http://www.pdxgeocaching.com

Those are the ones I was refering to.
Resurrecting this thread.

Can an ammo can be completely submerged in water without leaking?

Many here will state that they can. I'm a diver and I can assure you they can not over a period of time. We've tried. There are several underwater containers that make this claim and over time most of them leak too.

If you are asking so you can hide a hydro cache I suggest the best way is to hide it so that it will be able to sustain water inside. A divers slate for a logbook for example. Even if it stayed waterproof a cacher will eventually mess up and get some water in there.

Edited by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite

I've only placed one cache, but have a few others ready to go. I found a plastic Thermos bottle at the Salvation Army and used it for my first cache. It has a cup that screws on over the lid so it's double protected from moisture. Went to another "junk" store a couple of weeks ago and got four more similar containers for a buck each. Cheap and waterproof, but kinda small.

A good alternative to use are <A HREF="http://www.heritagemercantile.com/products/LL/LLmain.html" TARGET=_blank>Lock&Lock Containers.</A> They have a durable latch on all four sides and a soft rubber gaskets on the lid which seems to keep them watertight. I have a few in use and they seem to be working well. Safeway stores had a special deal on a variety pack of a few different sizes this summer. Price came out to about a dollar apiece!<BR><BR><A HREF="http://www.locknlock.com/default.htm" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is a link to the official site. You might need a languge pack installed to view it in English.<BR><BR>___________________________________<BR><A HREF="http://www.moondog3.com" TARGET=_blank>Moondog3.com</A> - <A HREF="http://www.pdxgeocaching.com" TARGET=_blank>Portland Geocaching</A>

Yeah it says its water tight, but the last time I found a cache that used one of those, there was more water inside the cache than anywhere else.

Could have just been a freak situation I suppose.

I always love when someone types "PVC pipe" Someone has to say "oh no A bomb!!!!!"

Give it a rest, PVC pipe was around for years before any mention of making it into a bomb container, besides a metal container works better for bombs and does more damage.

So from now on maybe we should call it polymer vinyl chloride pipe (PVC) or maybe Plastic pipe.

Enough flaming

I am currently making a P** pipe container and am including the tool to open it attached to it with cable held on by a bolt and rubber washer.

I also have made one with the T section pipe with caps on each side of the T so you can use that to turn it :unsure:

Future projects will include a 2ft by 2ft concrete box w/lid a rubber frigater gasket and 2 latches cost = avg $3.50

for spending 10 bucks on concrete and 2 on a gasket pack I can make 4 to 5 of these in different shape and sizes.

I am also using igloos I get from garage sales for about $2 a piece.

I'm looking for a floating waterproof container 2" around or less, any ideas?

Check my previous post about the Nalgene Straight Jars. The 2 oz is about an inch and a half in diameter and the 4 oz, just a tad over 2".

Give it a rest, PVC pipe was around for years before any mention of making it into a bomb container, besides a metal container works better for bombs and does more damage.

When we caution about using PVC pipe, we're not discussing its suitability for bomb making. We're talking about public perceptions. If most people find a sealed pipe in a popular park, they're not going to consider the materials its made from. They're just going to call the police.

Edited by briansnat
Nice looking container.... that's a lot of swag!  Does it all fit?

It was pretty full, but it's a 2 quart container. Two things that I'd do differently next time (now that it's been out in the field for a few months):

• Remove the label from the jar (doh!). The paint didn't stick to it very well.
  • Sand the lid along with the jar. The paint is chipping off of the white lid.

It's very waterproof, and I get alot of good comments about it from those who have found it. The camo paint job also makes it very easy to hide (and difficult to find). <_<

Maybe a little off topic but i just came across a neet little micro contaner it is a altodes flash tin it is magnetic it is 1.5 inches long 1 inch wide 1/4 thick great for putting waypoints in it for a multi stage cache. :lol:

They do work well. Just remember they are not waterproof so you need to place them so they are sheltered from direct rain. I used one as a micro with a moisture-resistant Tyvek® log, no room for a pencil.

That Little Dam Micro

Edited by greengecko

Decon Cannisters are great for small items. They measure 4" x 2" x 2". Army Surplus stores may carry them.

For camouflaging a cache to have a rock-type finish (or to help your cache blend in with block walls or other concrete surfaces) you could use a paint product made by RUST-OLEUM. The spray paint is AMERICAN ACCENTS, Stone Creations . Home Depot carries this product - it sells for $6.95 for a 12oz can.

Edited by RandMan