Tactical to Practical

WildcatRegi

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I took the online quiz. I missed the fastest land speed and the Hummer wall climb question, but at least I got the rest of them correct, including the GPS satellite question!

I feel pretty stupid now. I only got the GPS question correct.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Yes, with $2K in tires and special equipment!

Can your jeep re-inflate its tires should one go flat

Alot more than $2000, actually, but still far less than a Hummer (Humvee) costs.

No, can't do the tire trick, but a Hummer can't reinflate a flat tire either, it can only decrease and increase it tire pressure on the fly. If the tire's flat, they gotta get out and change it just like the rest of us icon_smile.gif

-----

Matt

K7MTO

Not much less than a hummer when you are done adding it all up.

My brother in law is a Jeep nut. Including the cost of the jeep, parts, accessories, and repairs on a weekly basis, he has over 35,000 bucks tied up in his rig.

And up here he is considered an amateur. Another guy I know has at least $60,000 in his rig. He has competed in several international races and such as well as having been in some of those 4X4 magazines out there.

I will stick with my 1983 S10 Blazer. Best 400 bucks I have spent in a long time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

True, you can sink alot of cash into an off-road machine, but most of those are purpose built and not street legal. I've probably got about 20K in mine (including cost of the vehicle (free)) and it's a very capable (street legal) rock crawler. If you wheel it hard you do have to fix things constantly, but many of us also do all the work ourselves, including building some of our own parts which saves alot of the cost. Of course, JEEP does stand for Just Empty Every Pocket icon_smile.gif

On the flip side, most people who drop 50K + for a Hummer or H2 aren't too keen on beating them up offroad. I might even get one someday if I ever make more money than I need.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:
Originally posted by IndyMagicMan:

I saw it last night. No mention of Geo-Caching. They did show several hand held Garmin units though.

I saw a Garmin on the dash of the Hummer. It was placed in the same spot as on the dash of my explorer, I wonder.... If I close my eyes, open them and concentrate on the GPS, will it feel like I'm driving a Hummer? icon_razz.gif

Did anyone record it? At one point, while doing the Geodashing thing, they showed his eTrex with coords displayed. I'm curious where those coords show he was located. Maybe the bay area since that's where they did the Hummer thing? How close was he to an actual cache?

-----

Matt

K7MTO

I saw the show last night and thought it was excellent!

Tonight, the same channel had a show on that talked a bit about GPS use when hunting. Trouble is, there was some misinformation about such as "the GPS sending a signal to the satellites," or "with 3 satellites you get position and altitude," and also that "maps are downloaded from the satellites."

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

I did record it, but I deleted it from my TiVo already. Its funny that you mention that, because when they showed his eTrex Vista, I paused the show and punched in the coords into my mapsource program. They did show up somewhere in the Bay area, but I do not recall exactly where. Makes me wish Mapsource had a 'recent waypoint' feature.

I also paused the show during the SAR segment when they showed the coords on one of the rescuers Rinos, but they were in another format and I didn't feel like making the necessary changes needed to view the location. Sorry icon_frown.gif

If my Tivo records the repeats I will post them for you.

Kar

As seen on TV

The coords as shown on the program.

Flash Screen:

N37.54.568

W122.34.873

Little Yellow card:

N37.53.00

W122.37.500

Garmin:

N37.54.555

W122.36.873

I couldn't make out the numbers on the yellow Etrex or the Rinos. icon_frown.gif

Enjoy!

wave.gif Have a Dixie Day!

Thanks, Rebel. Caches near coordinates shown on the show. They apparently spent alot of time around Mt Tamalpais State Park.

quote:
Flash Screen:

N37.54.568

W122.34.873

nearby caches - closest 1.3 miles

===

quote:
Little Yellow card:

N37.53.00

W122.37.500

nearby caches - closest just 0.4 miles.

===

quote:
Garmin:

N37.54.555

W122.36.873

nearby caches - closest just 0.2 miles (and depending upon when they filmed this, they could've been first finders - hidden 7/26 with only one find just yesterday)

-----

Matt

K7MTO