Are others doing this?

enfanta

On the way to a cache I'll be impressed with the site and think, "That'd be a great place for a micro cache!" So what I'd like to do is leave a card in the cache giving the coordinates for a micro-cache placed on the way to the original cache. The coordinates would never be posted to the web and the person who found it would take it with them. An easter egg, in a sense, because it's just for one person to find. If I hadn't heard that it'd been collected within a reasonable amount of time (a month? two?) I'd go get it myself, to avoid littering...

What do you think? And are others doing this?

Would owners of the original cache be ticked that there was another cache so close? (Even if it is only for a little while and for just the one cacher.)

What do you think? And if this is something common, I apologize: I tried a couple searches and couldn't find anything like this.

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

1What do you think? And are others doing this?

2Would owners of the original cache be ticked that there was another cache so close? (Even if it is only for a little while and for just the one cacher.)

3What do you think? And if this is something common, I apologize: I tried a couple searches and couldn't find anything like this.

seems ok, especially if the cache was on the way BACK to the car, how can you be sure which way the next seeker will come? i also think this could be used as a first finder prize thing.

2 maybe, it would probly depend on the cacher. and of course you would need to make sure the area could deal with it. even one person thrashing about could cause damage, but thats another discussion.

3 sounds like an offset, but i think those are usally placed by the cache owner.

whack.gif

If it’s not on the web, then you won’t be able to log, and your numbers will not reflect the find. VERY important to some……………

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

If it’s not on the web, then you won’t be able to log, and your numbers will not reflect the find. VERY important to some……………

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

just like you don't get credit for the waypoints leading to a multicache....

The people to whom numbers are important will just have to skip the unregistered microcaches.

I think it's a great idea and would make a great easter egg in a cache.

I did a cache that when you found the listed cache, it also had coords to a microcache hidden nearby in a very cool location. The coords and microcache were just a bonus for finding the original cache. This is a little different than what you are asking about, but it was still pretty fun. As stated by Criminal, the only part I didn't like was that I couldn't log the micro. I know it's the fun of the hunt, but to me the numbers are an extra reward for actually finding something icon_smile.gif

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

I did a cache that when you found the listed cache, it also had coords to a microcache hidden nearby in a very cool location. The coords and microcache were just a bonus for finding the original cache. This is a little different than what you are asking about, but it was still pretty fun. As stated by Criminal, the only part I didn't like was that I couldn't log the micro. I know it's the fun of the hunt, but to me the numbers are an extra reward for actually finding something icon_smile.gif

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

I've been planning a traditional cache in a particular spot, but I'm not sure there's a good way to hide it there (lots of partiers go there). So I was considering putting a real cache somewhere nearby with the coordinates to the final point in the cache. Sort of like what you're talking about, but a bonus virtual instead of a micro.

Hmm, I just thought of a potential problem with the micro idea. I'm assuming the finder takes the coordinate card with them, so no one else tries to find it. But what if they can't find the micro? If they don't go back and replace the card, the micro never gets found!

That said, I do think it's a very cool idea. I'm sure there's a way around this. Would these be called "piggyback caches" (I initially thought "parasite caches", which sounds cool but has bad connotations).

migo_sig_logo.jpg

[This message was edited by dinoprophet on August 30, 2002 at 06:13 AM.]

Yes, it's been done before, but no reason why you can't do it too!

I found a card in a cache that said something like "congratulations, here are the coordinates to a "bonus" cache that isn't listed on the website" and then something about moving the card to another cache.

As the "bonus cache" was over 200 miles from me, in a location I rarely get to, I left the card there for other, more intrepid, cachers.

"Hmm, I just thought of a potential problem with the micro idea. I'm assuming the finder takes the coordinate card with them, so no one else tries to find it. But what if they can't find the micro? If they don't go back and replace the card, the micro never gets found!"

On the card it says that if the micro isn't collected by a certain date that I'll go back and get it myself.

I think I'll start doing this. Yes, it's a shame someone won't be able to add it to their "Found" tally (something I hadn't thought about) but as that's not as important to me as the hunt, I'll just have to let that go.

Thanks, all!

As far as the no credit issue goes, why not post the micro to the website with bogus coordinates, such as in the middle of the atlantic ocean. That way, its most likely that no one will even see the page until they see the card in the other cache, and on the card you can give the info to log it online.

Just a thought.

Oh, as a bonus, it would give the finder a check-box icon in an impossible spot...kinda neat.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

VegasCacheHounds

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but the recent poll on one-time caches made me think about this some more.

What happens if you enter more than one "Found it!" log for a cache? If they both show up in your count, and I don't know if they do, entering a log for the regular cache and one for the bonus could be a way to log the bonus find. Someone -- either the hider or the finder -- should of course ask the owner of the real cache for permission first.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Dino,

Both "found-it" logs would show up in your count. I know this from a couple of my favorite area caches where visitors have left logs saying "came back here a year later to see if we could find it again." (Funny thing was, one of them posted a no-find on the second try, followed by a duplicate found-it on the third try.)

Whether it is appropriate to log repeat visits to the same cache is a whole 'nother thread. But here, with the bonus cache, your idea would work.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

A computer without Microsoft software is like a dog without a brick tied to its neck.

quote:
Are people really that desperate for finds that they need to claim a second find on a cache in order to justify going out of their way for the "bonus cache?" Egads.

There are people, sure. I was just looking for a solution for those who do care about logging every find. Personally, if I found a bonus, I'd just mention it in my log for the real cache. Just today, I decided to change my one locationless find to a note so it wouldn't appear in my count. Same with a recent Event that didn't have a cache to find (had there been actual caches, and I found them, I'd have made them Finds). That's how I treat my count. Still anal, I suppose, but in the opposite direction. icon_razz.gif Diff'rent strokes.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

[This message was edited by dinoprophet on September 12, 2002 at 09:21 AM.]

quote:
Are people really that desperate for finds that they need to claim a second find on a cache in order to justify going out of their way for the "bonus cache?" Egads.

There are people, sure. I was just looking for a solution for those who do care about logging every find. Personally, if I found a bonus, I'd just mention it in my log for the real cache. Just today, I decided to change my one locationless find to a note so it wouldn't appear in my count. Same with a recent Event that didn't have a cache to find (had there been actual caches, and I found them, I'd have made them Finds). That's how I treat my count. Still anal, I suppose, but in the opposite direction. icon_razz.gif Diff'rent strokes.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by VegasCacheHounds:

why not post the micro to the website with bogus coordinates, such as in the middle of the atlantic ocean.

It would be in good company. I see 18 right there already. Lat 00.000 Lon 00.000

stealyourcache.gif I do know one thing though, caches they come they go, Saturday through Sunday Monday, Monday through Sunday Yo! -Eminem www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

[This message was edited by Dru Morgan on September 12, 2002 at 11:57 AM.]