The Weekend Report - August 22-25, 2003

CYBret

Since we're talking about Geocaching in the forums these days, I thought I'd throw it open and see how everyone's weekend is going/has gone (depending on when you get around to reading/responding to this topic).

I headed out at 8:00 am this morning with my 11 year old to hit some caches about an hour and a half south of here. We managed three finds in one park. Nothing spectacular but one was a decent offset. After that we grabbed lunch and headed out for one more cache. Neat idea...it was a "Calling Card Cache," for cachers to leave their cards in. It will be interesting to see how that one progresses in the coming months.

Also hit the first 2 stages of a wicked multi-cache. Oh, one stage was in the cemetery where Burl Ives is buried. I had to remind the 11 year old that he was the snowman from Rudolph...that didn't really seem to help...sheesh...what do kids watch around the holidays these days?!?!

Thinking I might hit a couple benchmarks tomorrow....if I can get away.

So how about your caching trips this weekend?

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

After that we grabbed lunch and headed out for one more cache. Neat idea...it was a "Calling Card Cache," for cachers to leave their cards in. It will be interesting to see how that one progresses in the coming months.

The does sound interesting. Makes me think I need to make my own calling card, or at least create a signature item.

quote:
Also hit the first 2 stages of a wicked multi-cache. Oh, one stage was in the cemetery where Burl Ives is buried. I had to remind the 11 year old that he was the snowman from Rudolph
There's a locationless cache concerning this particular topic if you're interested in locationless caches. Find the headstone of a famouse dead person.

quote:
So how about your caching trips this weekend?
Not really part of the weekend, but did a nice virtual cache at our local arboreatum. I hadn't been there in about 10 years, so it was interesting to go back and enjoy the local flora.

Webfoot frog.gif

5307_800.jpg

Yeah, sure....but did he use a GPSr to find it?

I did my local money league fantasy football draft (went quite well for me then, and even better now, considering that the next best draft had Pennington) and then went to scout out locations for a couple of micros. One didn't pan out because the place I planned to put it had disappeared. Another looks OK. Found two caches in the process. One was a nice walk and the other fairly lame. Seems like a fairly OK day to me, even if the caching could have been better!

pokeanim3.gif

So far, not so great as far as Geocaching goes.... worked traffic control for the Texans / San Diego NFL game... made money, but still, didn't get to hunt caches....sigh. Maybe in the morning, if my feet don't hurt too bad.....

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Dodged some thunderstorms to place a multi cache Friday afternoon (my wife works half days on Friday, so that's the official start of our weekend). Went to a block party in Queens yesterday and aborted a cache hunt when we found that even though the cache was only .7 mile from the party, the Cross Island Parkway was between us and the cache.

Not sure what's in store for today. We discussed going bass fishing, cache hunting or just going for a long hike. Could be any of the three, or maybe a combination.

"You can't make a man by standig a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 24, 2003 at 04:36 AM.]

Took a crew of newbies out for a trek through a local park, and we scored all 5 caches there. One was a micro hidden in/near a bunch of rocks. Only bad thing was a large snake that was sunning himself on these very rocks. Made finding the micro (M&M tube container) a bit more tricky. icon_wink.gif

But we found it.

EDIT: Thanks for asking. It's nice to talk about caching once in a while. icon_biggrin.gif

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

[This message was edited by mrkablooey on August 24, 2003 at 04:58 AM.]

We took my wife's 3 year old niece out "treasure hunting" (the difference between "cache" and "cash" was too hard to explain). Unfortunately we only found a huge wasps' nest at the cache, which curtailed a lot of real heavy searching. Took her back to a cache that we knew was easy to locate and almost certainly there.

"*GASP!* TREASURE!" She will now bug her Mom every waking minute about taking her out to find more treasure. "Mom....Mom....Mom....Mom..."

My job is done here..... icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

Spent sun-up to sundown Saturday on a caching expedition in NoFla, Pensacola to Destin and points in between. Bagged 16 caches (I know, I know, we're not supposed to ever care about stats ever again around here!), a good cross-section between short to medium hikes and a few drive-ups. Enjoyed the 2 Destin Beach caches the most...great weather, great scenery (esp. of the female variety), and great caches right on the sugar white sands. Came home exhausted and achy, but feeling great that I explored some new areas (for me) of the Fla Gulf Coast, and feeling great to get out and get some exercise after a 2-week caching layoff due to long hours at work.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

quote:
Did a 7 mile hike and managed to log 9 caches along the way. A portion of the hike was along a ridge with great views

Now that sounds like a great cache day!

Today, I went to place a cache and found that it wouldn't work (again, bad weekend for me) and painted an altoids tin to hopfully place yet tonight. depends on if it dries in time.

pokeanim3.gif

husband worked saturday, so i drove around looking for a place to put a regular cache... rejected three spots and eventually found a place on my way home... not the best hide ever, if no-one gets it, i might go and redo... but it's a good spot...

then today made up a travel bug to go and drop off in the first local travel bug motel... not a terribly pretty spot, i'm afraid... plus a rotting dead cat nearby... not good on a hot texas day... but on the way out i spotted a GREAT spot for a library cache, so went back and put that in too.

hmmm... i think it's time for an out of town trip to a cache rich area again to do some searching...

who's got the pig?

Well to finish up, we went back to where we placed my cache on Friday (see post above). When we placed it, the weather was very hazy and the view was limited. On a clear day like today, the view was outstanding. We could see the NYC skyline in the distance. We spent close to an hour there checking out the view and boids with binoculars.

We took a longer route this time and it was almost 6 miles RT. A glorious day for a hike!

We also met some geocachers on the way. Coppermouse was at a cache near where I parked. It was great to meet a famous local geocacher. We also met Duvalcrawlcouple coming back from his FTF on my new cache. To his credit, he went in the long way, 6 miles RT, instead of the easy way, which is barely over a mile RT.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 25, 2003 at 01:29 AM.]

Had a weekend conference in Boca Raton and brought along a few caches to hit. Thought I would get some of my collegues to give it try, but couldn't pry them from the beach. So my wife and 9 month old dtr hit the trails. Found 2 great caches in local parks. It never ceases to amaze me how nice the small little parks hidden away can be... Most of the time, you don't even realize you are in the middle of suburbia or near highways. Also found 2 locationless caches (sharp eyes) and did one of the Magellan Adventure Treasure Hunts.

This cache was a WOODEN box hidden under a tree. Let me remind you, this is Florida and it is RAINY season here... The box was waterlogged and is beginning to rot (yuk). When I opened it, it was infested with big nasty ants who were not happy to see me and let me know in this in no uncertain terms!!! icon_eek.gif

I cleaned it out as best I could and gave it a little bit of bug spray which will not last long. I sent an email to Magellan about the inappropriateness of this kind of container and asked them to remove it. At least I did get my coupon to get the free hat.

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

I took a four day weekend this weekend and started caching about mid morning thursday and found 6 that day with a root canal mixed in there! I had three not founds, one of which was due to a week old PQ. It was taken a few days before. Friday I did 10 including one multi that was about 20 miles long but was excellently done. I was with the wife all day Saturday visiting relatives and then worked today some. I still did three caches on the way home including one I had taken two no find on during previous trys. It was a pretty fun weekend.

Since Saturday is our wedding anniversary, Perrine and I decided to drive 100 miles from the Twin Cities to Winona, Minnesota, to camp at a state park near there. We hit one virtual on the drive down, and after one night in camp, we went down by town where I got my 400th find. Then I decided to get to one more in the area, and while searching for the cache, I ended up in a swarm of yellowjackets, and got at least a dozen stings before I got out to safety (but I still went and got to the cache before returning to the car). So, aside from the pain, we got to see some great views of the Mississippi from the bluffs 600 feet overhead, and had a great camp-site at a great camp-ground. Perrine even bought a mini cake for us since we forgot to bring our hunk of wedding cake from the freezer.

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?"--George Eliot

MnGCA-Button.gif

Well, since I had to work this morning (as always) I just HAD to nap this afternoon! But after the whole family was up we decided to go do a little shopping and I knew of a few benchmarks I'd be able to check out on the way.

Found one at the county courthouse very quickly. After a dinner break we found another one in the wall of the high school. The third one skunked us, but I should have known that from the description.

The highlight of the night was finding the digital camera we've been wanting on clearance. Still more money than we had intended to spend tonight, but isn't that way way it goes? icon_wink.gif

Bret

Not much actual caching, as I had some other responsibilities, but managed to sneak out and drop off a travel bug that will taken with a bunch of others to Norway and will 'race' back to California. Then stopped by a place I have driven by many times and thought would be good for a cache. Glad I did the extra recon, as upon closer inspection, there was ample evidence that this is a party hangout. Not my idea of a good place for a cache, no matter how nice the view.

"Could be worse...could be raining"

quote:
Originally posted by Moe the Sleaze:

I found my 500th cache this weekend.

Congrats, Moe! Very cool! Wish I was there.

Remember, first one to log a million wins! icon_wink.gif

Bret

The big thing this weekend was the second meeting of the Northeast Florida Geocachers Association (NEFGA). The turnout was awesome - 40-50 cachers - some newbies who hadn't found their first cache, some veterans with hundreds of finds, and everyone in between. There was a lot of story swapping, a lot of planning for future events, and we worked in a game of Capture the Flag. Then after everyone left, my fiancee and I got to hide the ammo box that everyone brought booty nuggets for.

Then on the way home, we got to find two micros - one in the pouring rain, the other in a mosquito infested area that had stumped us a couple of weeks before. An excellent weekend for me. icon_biggrin.gif

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

Spent about 4-5 hours trudging around an area state park scouting cache locations for our Fall Fest event cache games. Which normally wouldn't be so bad, if not for the 102 degree hear with a 107 degree heat index.

Today I hid a cache. Sadly the website is going wonky on me and I can't list it.

-beatnik-

Sorta made a weekend of it. Went down to a state park not far from me to camp and fished from my float tube for the evening in the lake that's right there. Nest morning, hunted up a couple of caches that are on the lake shore and then drove off to find others that are near by. Good day, found every one of the seven that I hunted for, even if it did involve some serious hill climbing.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

Daughter and I went out in the marsh. Of course, I hide a cache out in the middle of the bay, someone had too. Also, I learned how to put coordinates on digital images, learn quakemap, and learned how to do mapimage with html. See final product at http://www.geocacherssociety.com/map.htm .

I was bored. I like how all my hobbies are related to each other. Now, if they could only make me money.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

This weekend I went out to find Pittsburgh's Magellan Treasure Hunt. Even though you can park about 150 feet from the coordinates, I didn't want to drive around trying to find that road that it was near. So I parked at the Park Office and bushwhacked to the cache site. Took me about 30 minutes to get there but I came in first place. Here is a pic of me with the Cache.

64758_500.jpg

Some things are lost, some left behind.

Some things are better left for someone else to find.

First and foremost, CONGRATS to Sir Cache-a-Lot for bagging FTF on the Pittsburgh Magellan cache... the hard way! As for me, I spent some time on the Magellan hunt also this weekend. Saturday morning, I watched the online logs with great interest. It was good to see the hunt finally proceed smoothly. Then in the afternoon, I double-checked the coordinates for the second Magellan cache, which I've hidden somewhere in the Pittsburgh area. I also made repairs to my 6.5 mile long rails-to-trails multicache, so that it's no longer disabled, and I found an evil microcache that had been placed by Kordite in "friendly retaliation" for one of my urban micros.

Sunday was a 14-hour, 8 cache marathon. I cleaned out all but one of my unfound caches in the rural and rugged southwest corner of Pennsylvania. The average rating on these caches was 3/2.5, including a 5-star difficulty hide and a 4-star terrain cache. The best hider in that area is Accident Prone Hiker and I gained a healthy respect for his cache placing talents.

Another great weekend of geocaching!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

We killed a deer, had a party, checked out a cave, and got bushwacked by rednecks. All that and I finally stopped to place a cache in an area that has had me intrigued and found someone actually posted that it's a Gay park. I'll put a cache there anyway when I have time for the short hike. Lastly I did place a cache just to be obnixouse since it's the first "Lame" cache in the area. You can thank the Lame Cache Threads for the sudden urge.

Not too bad for a weekend.

quote:
This weekend SUCKED!!!!

Pennington out for at least 12 weeks.

Why am I a Jets fan?

Yeah, had him in a fantasy football league, was not happy about that! to stay on topic: I did place one of my micros today, but unfortunately after scouting the planned place, I had to go with the light post in plain sight idea (which I kind of stole from I think Criminal). On the up side, that is a new thing here, none of those here!

pokeanim3.gif