What Happen To All the Geocachers, To busy Mowing Grass?

Man did our area drop off. Hardly any activity happening around here since it got nice out. We have been geocaching since last fall, thru winter, and I figured it was the slow season. Boy was I wrong. The grass started growing and no one around here is doing any geohunting. Is this the way it is (going to be)? Im OK with it, just a little surprised. It will probably pick up next Fall. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Beter to Zig then Zag!

Well it was a great run for me during the spring. Now that the grass has turned brown I spend more time pulling pokies out of my socks than I do getting to and from a cache site. Gaters on the way via REI.com I wish they would hurry!

Team SuperGenius

Pepepr

Horizontals where it's at!

Mowing the lawn, planting our garden, pulling weeds, turning compost bins over and general outside home stuff has limited me to 4-5 hours on Sunday.

As soon as the weather turns a bit hotter I'll be able to get out more. I have to take advantage of the weather to get "work" done outside.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Ticks?

Hey Alan,

I've got 27 ticks (in a ziplock) that I "picked up" in Allaire State Park last weekend. the largest and smallest ones are earmarked for a science project my daughter has due when school re-opens in the fall, but we'd be glad to send you the rest. icon_wink.gif

I don't mind the hot weather so much nor do I have an extreme amount of chores to tend to -- I just burned out. Don't get me wrong, I still love caching but I was doing it a little too much (can you believe that?!) recently. Too much clickin' on the computer, too much shufflin' of cache pages, too many trinkets in the backpack, too much hikin' the trails with sophisticated technology in hand, etc. It's happened before and I'm sure I'll shake it before too long. The interesting thing is that my caching "mood" generally corresponds to the "mood" of the area. I don't know what that means, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Off topic, but Supergenius might like to know that I busted my Vista trying to locate your "Techie Cache" this past weekend. Long story short, it sailed and bounced repeatedly and quite gracefully down to the bottom of Little Yosemite. Luckily, Twinkle is still talking to me. icon_rolleyes.gif

*barefoot*

quote:
Originally posted by Zig:

Man did our area drop off. Hardly any activity happening around here since it got nice out.

I don't remember all that much activity around here before it got nice out, either, to tell you the truth, but we noticed what looked like a dropoff in the past couple of weeks, too. That's probably because we've been watching more closely, though, because we were hoping that we'd get a few people at least hunting the first stage of Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles. What's keeping you?

As for us, we've been hunting when we can, but haven't found much. This past weekend was dedicated to more mundane pursuits, but we've still managed to fit in three hunts (one found, one not-found, and one in progress) and one hide (soon to be two hides) in the past two weeks; that's better than our average (some 20 hunts, including not-founds, in about 20 weeks of caching.)

By the way, we were deeply saddened to hear of the passing of "Lookout." It was our first find, and it was much enjoyed. We hope you can find a way to put something there again.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie & Clyde:

>>Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

>>By the way, we were deeply saddened to hear of the passing of "Lookout."

What did happen to "lookout"? We were out looking for it once but never found it.

(Note to non-northeast-indiana cachers: The cache to which we're referring is this one, which was in an overlook at a large local (active) gravel pit.)

And you didn't log a 'not found'? Shame, shame shame...

Seriously, as the cache page says, it's sort of a hangout for the local youth, so someone probably just took it, maybe for the magnet. Or, being youth, perhaps they tossed it into the gravel pit to see if they could hear it hit the bottom. Since it's not there anymore, I'll go ahead and tell you where it was.

I assume, if you went looking for it, that you got as far as the structure from which you can view the gravel pit. If you were standing on the steps looking toward the gravel pit, there was a support post directly in front of you. Just under the roof, on a steel beam to the right of that post, was a black Altoids-type tin with a large ceramic magnet attached. That was the cache. If you looked there and didn't find it, it was probably already gone by the time you looked.

I still think it should have been painted yellow. icon_smile.gif

By the way, we're up to two hides now, as promised. Anyone who's close enough to have tried to find "Lookout" should try to make their way to our latest cache (which hasn't been approved yet.)

warm.gif

quote:
And you didn't log a 'not found'? Shame, shame shame...

icon_frown.gif I know, I vow to never do such a thing again....really icon_smile.gif I'm just a newbie.

Bummer about "Lookout", it is a great place to visit! And yes, we should have found it if it had been there.

As for you latest cache, If your talking about the Ft Wayne gathering, I hope we can make it icon_smile.gif

That is if you will allow newbie’s who have not purchased their own GPS yet. icon_smile.gif

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.

I've noticed too that there doesn't seem to be much activity around here (NE IN). One we're going to look for tomorrow was posted June 1st and still hasn't been found (or at least not logged as found). I'm really surprised but it could turn out to be our first *first find*.

As far as our team, we never have been able to look for as many as we'd like. We have one team member that has been working WAY too much and we like to include everyone whenever possible. Can't use mowing grass as an excuse as our mower is currently on strike. Once it's back up and running, we'll be doing nothing but mowing for probably a month! Hopefully we'll squeeze in a few geocache hunts though... icon_smile.gif

We did get our first cache hidden earlier this week. Had lots of fun and we are currently scouting areas for a second.

As a side note to Warm Fuzzies, we'll be getting down to the Ft. Wayne area in a couple of weeks and are planning to try a few caches in that area. Not sure which ones yet but we do have your PPP cache on our watch list. It looks great!

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I've seen the opposite. There has been a sudden flurry of finds on a number of my caches, some that haven't been hit in two months.

Strange how some caches can go 2-3 months without being found, then are suddenly found 2 or 3 times in a week, by separate groups of cachers.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Ticks?

Hey Alan,

I've got 27 ticks (in a ziplock) that I "picked up" in Allaire State Park last weekend. the largest and smallest ones are earmarked for a science project my daughter has due when school re-opens in the fall, but we'd be glad to send you the rest. icon_wink.gif

No thanks. I've got enough of my share of them over here in NY. icon_eek.gif

Alan

-----------------------------------------------

I've got 27 ticks (in a ziplock) that I "picked up" in Allaire State Park last weekend.

-----------------------------------------------

What, are you nuts, putting those poor little ticks in a ziploc. They're gonna suffocate in there. You had better poke some holes in the bag so they have air.

HMMMMMMM

Lets see 4am 6/8/02 pulled out of drive way ElCajon Ca. heading to Temecula to pick up grandson (Alias Vagrant) 5 am parked in driveway 5:20 am vagrant enters car heading to Orange County, make detour to San Juan Capistrano for new Calcutta Bamboo walking staffs.

7:26 am log first cache find of the day

7:04 pm log last cache find of the day

Total Finds 17, non finds 4

8:35pm drop off Vagrant

9:45 pm pull into driveway

Total mileage 398.7

Slowing down????????????????????

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

All who look are not lost

We have been very disappointed lately with the overall lack of activity in our area. There is hardly any caching going on at all. It seems that there are about 5 or 6 of us who are placing caches for each other to find. There are lots of new people (since Christmas), but with the coming of summer, they have become almost totally inactive. We have 9 caches hidden in this general area, and we are lucky to come home on Sunday evening and find even 1 hit for the whole week-end. What a bunch of wimps! Everyone is afraid: Poison Ivy, ticks, snakes, heat..... Oh, well, we sure don't let it slow us down. We have pulled off at least 30 ticks each this year, have each had a BAD case of chiggers, and have gotten completely drenched with sweat. We have loved every minute of it. Can't wait 'till this weekend, so we can go out and get some more of it. Seems like everyone around here is waiting for that perfect 72 degree day, with no bugs out, so they can go outside. Guess we'll be seeing them again about November. In the meantime, we'll be out getting dirty, sweaty, and pulling off ticks, finding a geocache.

It's been in the 90's, with a lot of humidity, lots of poison ivy, mosquitos, snakes, and ticks. Plus, I'm starting to run out of nearby caches again. So, I've mostly been hunting benchmarks (33 found, 15 more not found, a couple of thousand to hunt within 100 miles...), virtuals, and a few locationless. I do have a hefty list of caches planned for my trip to Indiana and Ohio in a few weeks.

25021_1200.gif

I guess that's one characteristic that geocachers share with everyone else ... they sure do bellyache. I know I do my share. When the caching is hot, I complain about all that cache maintenance (or how the hunters don't put my cache back just so). When the caching goes cold, I complain about 100-day old caches. And if we look hard enough we can find something in each of the four seasons that prevent us from geocaching. But after a couple of 18-hour days at work with a software rollout, I realize I'd much rather be in the woods geocaching. And if all goes well Saturday at work, then Sunday I'll be hunting trinkets. At the risk of sounding like a commercial ........

JUST DO IT! icon_razz.gif

12645_800.gif

I prefer to cache hunt when the weather is crappy. The worse the better.......does that make sense?

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................