Login user issues

Kerry.

Question regarding the registered usernames between the old forum and the new forum.

On this forum trying to login (as per previous username/password) or create a login the same as the previous gives a user already exists/taken error.

Now if that is the case (username in fact taken) then I have a query regarding the registered (by password) usernames and associated posts/strings being imported into this new forum and then allowing (if this in fact the case?) others to assume/register that username in this new forum.

Maybe this is not the case but there needs to be some clarification of just who is who, now and past?

Cheers, Kerry.

Previously, the forums and the Geocaching.com site had two different login databases. With these new forums, we've been able to integrate the geocaching logins. All the previous forum logins are no longer valid.

Some people may have used different usernames on both the geocaching.com site and the forums, so now they'll be represented by their geocaching username.

Its possible that you may have been using a username in the previous forums which was already taken by a geocaching account. Unfortunately, if that's so, you'll have to create an account with a different username. icon_frown.gif

-Elias

Previously, the forums and the Geocaching.com site had two different login databases. With these new forums, we've been able to integrate the geocaching logins. All the previous forum logins are no longer valid.

Some people may have used different usernames on both the geocaching.com site and the forums, so now they'll be represented by their geocaching username.

Its possible that you may have been using a username in the previous forums which was already taken by a geocaching account. Unfortunately, if that's so, you'll have to create an account with a different username. icon_frown.gif

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

-Elias

Different usernames on different sites are understandable BUT to COPY one database from one password protected forum to another and have a duplicate user Id basically inherit the posts by default is simply not acceptable, unfortunate or not.

I this is the case then out of simple respect I'm requesting the administrators to delete all my previous posts (under my original username) from this forum which were copied over from the old forum (which is now locked).

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

-Elias

Different usernames on different sites are understandable BUT to COPY one database from one password protected forum to another and have a duplicate user Id basically inherit the posts by default is simply not acceptable, unfortunate or not.

I this is the case then out of simple respect I'm requesting the administrators to delete all my previous posts (under my original username) from this forum which were copied over from the old forum (which is now locked).

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:
Originally posted by Formerly known as Kerry:

Even though there is a user registered on Geocaching.com with the username of Kerry, you are free to change your display name to anything you like, including "Kerry". All posts in the forums will use the display name.

All of the posts imported do not have users assigned at all. You'll notice all the imported posts show "guest" under the name. These posts can't be edited or modified, even if the usernames appear to match, so you don't have to worry that another user has somehow inherited your posts.

-Elias