Lock and Lock Containers

carleenp

While grocery shopping today, I came across Rubbermaid like containers called "Lock and Lock." They are made of similar clear plastic but have a seal and four plastic locking mechanisms. They come in sizes from quite small to quite large and in varius shapes. They claim to be 100% air and water tight and ranged in price from $1-6. Needless to say, I bought several in varying sizes to try as cache containers. Has anyone else seen or used these? I had never seen them before. The seal on them, along with the "locks," makes it look like they would be much better than the standard Rubbermaid or Tupperware, etc.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I came across Rubbermaid like containers called "Lock and Lock." They are made of similar clear plastic but have a seal and four plastic locking mechanisms.

Aside from the water tight aspects, don't you think they will suffer in our extreme temps during the winter?

quote:
Originally posted by Judy&Dick:

Aside from the water tight aspects, don't you think they will suffer in our extreme temps during the winter?

Maybe, Maybe not. How thick and what material is it?

I visited one gladware cache that 'spider web' cracked when I pulled the lid off in the cold.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

To answer the last two posts, they seem to be a thicker plastic than Rubbermaid etc., but not a whole lot thicker. They do seem to be less pliable. Welch mentioned Gladware, and they are certainly thicker than that (Gladware is horrible for cache containers IMHO). They are also more clear (not sure if that is good or bad). I figure that they would withstand extreme temps as good as or better than Rubbermaid etc., but could still have problems. They certainly don't beat ammo cans, but considering that many areas are requiring clear containers and many people tend to use plastic containers, they seem to be a step up. Since they have the seal and locks, I figure they might stay dry at least.

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on April 12, 2003 at 08:56 PM.]

[This message was edited by carleenp on April 12, 2003 at 08:57 PM.]

After my last post, where I had grabbed one to take a look at it's thickness, I noticed that one of the containers had a paper with a web address on it inside. Anyway, here is the link to the Lock and Lock page.

They do claim to be freezer and microwave safe if that helps. Of course, I think Gladware and Rubbermaid say the same thing!

Well, now that I looked at the site more, I will edit this to say that it claims to be safe to -22 degrees F. It also has a guarantee, although who knows whether "geocache failure" would be honored under that!

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on April 12, 2003 at 09:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by carleenp on April 12, 2003 at 09:06 PM.]

icon_mad.gif

I made my first geocache with an ammo can. They're not cheap around here, but I like the look and ruggedness of them. I went all out and spraypainted it black with "GECKO 001" stenciled on it. It was stolen not long after and replaced with a coffee can. It was pretty obvious that the perps were not geocachers, but probably teens who found it. From now on, I will use tupperware unless the cache is in a pretty remote location.

The Lock N Lock's have been used extensively in our area - they are completely waterproof and they stand up extremely well under all conditions. If they make a finer container I haven't found it. You can paint them up really well with a specialty plastic paint like Krylon.

I love the smell of Lock 'n Locks in the morning...they smell like $$$

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I wonder how they would hold up after 4 months in 115 degree Arizona heat? One big plastic blob, I would bet.

They are microwave safe, so I don't see why they wouldn't stand the Arizona heat. You don't leave them out in direct sunlight do you? Try one in your yard as a test and let us know if it can take the heat.

-Donna G

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I wonder how they would hold up after 4 months in 115 degree Arizona heat? One big plastic blob, I would bet.

icon_cool.gifI personaly have had bad luck with plastic here in the desert southwest (Yuma area) it bakes out and gets brittle. I have replaced containers for a couple of cachers ~~~~~

Mzee ~~~ "And now where Homes?"

Now that we've re-opened this 8-year old discussion (might be a record), what the heck, I'll chime in.

Zip-loc brand are waaay too flimsy and non-watertight for this game. With the daily temperature changes, air goes in, air goes out, moisture condenses inside, repeat daily.

Lock-n-Lock brand (not the cheap clones) are the gold standard of plastic containers. They're right up there with ammo boxes for waterproofness.

Edited by Viajero Perdido