How far is to far?

I want to place a cache but it is going to be a hike! is 2-3 miles up hill to far? Also there is a river that is dry most of the time but some times 3-4 feet deep so It would be a sesonal cache? or would most of you cross (swim across) a river that deep? btw it will have some good items like two playstation 2 games!!

I don't think 2 or 3 miles is too far. In wet season, is there another access that you know of, around the high water? If so, does that make it a 5 mile walk?

You can always just up the difficulty rating, and describe the hike on the cache page. I know that I, and many others, enjoy the further out caches, that are a little tougher to get to.

globe.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

quote:
Originally posted by Rc Aro Planes:

there is only one other way and that is to use a bridge at a paint ball field that I don't think I have the right to use, but that would make it a 8-9 mile hike. The river is dry right now so I am going ahead with it and hopefully some people will make the long trip to grab some goodies!

make sure that you check out the access through the paint ball field and if thats a no-no be sure to note it on the cache page.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

That is the type of cache I like best. Don't worry about it and place it. Just know that it won't get the finds that urban or easy walk caches get. Geeze... people in Nebraska must be wimps. I placed a rural cache with an easy 1/2 mile hike and it has only been found once. Then again, maybe my warning about it being a tick infested area affected things... My other rural cache, which is also pretty easy, has been found much more. Still, not a lot. Perhaps it is also that there are less Nebraska cachers but I think the urban caches are the ones found the most. I know most of my finds are urban even though I prefer great hikes.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

I want to place a cache but it is going to be a hike! is 2-3 miles up hill to far?

Too far for what? That's only a 2-hour round trip walk, a few minutes on Mt. Bike, a few minutes in something motorized...

I see the 5 caches you've found were all very easy terrain rating. Why don't you go after a few with higher terrain ratings to get an idea of what's out there? Then you'll have a better idea of the scope!

quote:

Also there is a river that is dry most of the time but some times 3-4 feet deep so It would be a sesonal cache? or would most of you cross (swim across) a river that deep?

I'd tackled it at an appropriate time, as per caches that rely on tides, wind, darkness (night caches), etc...

quote:

btw it will have some good items like two playstation 2 games!!

Pieces of plastic? What would I do with those? (Or do PS2 games come on CD?) Disks of metal encasesd in plastic? What would I do with those?

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: Under a 2-mile hike gets a two-star rating, your cache would only be rated a three-stars. So, the answer is no, not only is it not too far, but it's moderate!

2-3 miles is fine. It's my favorite kind of cache. Unfortunately the majority of cahches require a walk of 200 - 300 feet.

You won't get as many finds, but I'm sure the real geocachers in your area will appreciate it. The numbers hounds will avoid it because they'd rather invest the hour or two that would be involved to find 5 easy caches.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:

I want to place a cache but it is going to be a hike! is 2-3 miles up hill to far? Also there is a river that is dry most of the time but some times 3-4 feet deep so It would be a sesonal cache? or would most of you cross (swim across) a river that deep? btw it will have some good items like two playstation 2 games!!

I hiked 15-16 miles and 4000 elevation in search of a benchmark placed in 1961. The USGS member who monumented it reported that it was a 4 hour horseback ride. The mark was on a mountain that is 8 miles from the nearest road. I was forced to turn back when I got within 1/2 mile of the summit due to rain and approaching lightning storms.

I logged a DNF on a 3 mile hill climb cache that was just a micro cache. The clue was a dead giveaway but I didn't get to grab the clue sheet that morning before leaving.

I have no regrets on not finding either one. Don't expect a flood of visitors but you should go for it anyway.

-beatnik-

Go for it. Just include the information about the possible water levels in your description, and if you can, the probable times of year to expect the high water.

The distance is fine, just do not expect a huge amount of finds, as 'hard to get to' caches are saved for planned out trips for a lot of people, unless they live very near by. Here is a cache in Oklahoma that I plan to get 'one of these days', but it is 327 miles from where I live, and on top of that, it's 4.2 miles uphill and an 8.4 mile round trip hike (Black Mesa Cache), and it's a VIRTUAL to boot....

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

quote:

btw it will have some good items like two playstation 2 games!!

Pieces of plastic? What would I do with those? (Or do PS2 games come on CD?) Disks of metal encasesd in plastic? What would I do with those?

On a side note RJF, PS2 games are CDs and CDs are not "Disks of metal encased in plastic". They are disks of plastic with a VERY thin layer of metallic film on them.

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

The furthest cache I have placed (i.e)walking distance) is about 12Kms return. Of course, it's not the distance that can make the difficulty, it's the terrain. The 12 Kms walk crosses three valleys with a total ascent of around 400 metres. A slightly shorter more challenging hunt involves walking the entire distance on the sandy bed of a river. Needless to say your legs will hurt after that one. One cache I espescially enjoyed involved a 4 km walk entirely underground. GPS reception is non existent in the tunnel so you have to pace it out above first.

A 2 to 3 mile hike is a good little hike. Much more than that and you can't go and get it after work. Check out Ride the Rat in Missoula, MT for a 28 mile hike/bike cache (closed currently due to BIG fire in drainage). Most of the ones my husband and I have left in our area are over 3 miles in and have moderate elevation gains (+1000 feet). Maybe when the smoke clears we will try a few.icon_smile.gif

For crossings, Sluice Boxes cache in Great Falls, Mt has 4 creek crossings that involve wading through hip deep water if you take the low road. Just note that the cache will involve crossing running water and that there is no dry way during certain seasons. Then read the logs from folks who swim, hike a raft in with them, or innertube across. And smile!

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

quote:
When I was a kid, all caches required 50k hikes. Uphill both ways. Across raging rapids. Through waist deep snow. While fighting off bears, mountain lions and charging rhinos. Ate ticks and mosquitos for their protein value.

Whippersnappers.

Sounds like my walk to school everyday. icon_wink.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

I want to place a cache but it is going to be a hike! is 2-3 miles up hill to far?

You guys are so lucky to have the opportunity to place caches like that. I live in the flatlands and can drive to within a quarter mile of most of the caches around here.

quote:

oh icon_rolleyes.gif you can tell I am new lol.

"Posts: 6 | From: bakersfield | Registered: August 12, 2003"

Well, the "Posts: 6" thing gives it away....

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

"Randy

PS: Under a 2-mile hike gets a two-star rating, your cache would only be rated a three-stars. So, the answer is no, not only is it not too far, but it's moderate!"

The Two Dogs

"Of course, it's not the distance that can make the difficulty, it's the terrain."

Randy - The Two Dogs understands difficulty correctly. Distance has nothing to do with the difficulty of terrain.

I've placed two caches only 1/2 mile from where you can park you car, however, the terrain in both cases is a solid 5 stars.

Check out "Are You Experienced?".

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=68272

The 1/2 mile from your car to the AYE cache could easily take an experienced rock climber a couple days.

Bernie

PS: No geocacher has posted any attempts, much less a find. The AYE cache was placed over a year ago.