A logo for the rest of us?

One for the design ideas and one for the legal arguments. Anyway, just thought I'd add my 2 cents on the designs submitted so far. I really like the ones Gustaf has been working on, especially #5. Is this eventually going to be put to a vote?

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

One for the design ideas and one for the legal arguments.........Is this eventually going to be put to a vote?

Yes, I wish there had been 2 seperate threads too, I thought the legal issue was moot, since basically we are screwed as far as customizing the geocaching.com logo, and this thread was to be about creating one that could be customized. And yes, I would imagine we'll end up with a few polls as we narrow the possibilities down.

I seriously question the sanity of somebody who uses multiple exclamation marks!!!!!

The UPS logo is universal, and simple.

Something that can be modified easily. The colors can be changed or added to. However if you only wanted to draw it on an ammo can with a big chisel marker that would look fine also.

You can certainly add words around it. Four color fields, whatever.

All the creativity I've seen is great. However their not something you can just draw quickly by hand.

Thanks for the help brdad.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

You need to see how a logo works in different mediums and different sizes.

I posted some guidelines you should be looking for in the geocaching newsgroup. Feel free to look there--heck copy it here if you want, I don't care.

I think this has been my concern all along. Could you repost it here for us, and maybe submit a few ideas and examples??

And I agree with everything Leatherman just said. Scary! icon_biggrin.gif

I seriously question the sanity of somebody who uses multiple exclamation marks!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

Here are 2 that Leatherman emailed me. They may be very basic, but I like the concept a lot. team icons or logos could be added to them several ways.

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/images/geol1.jpg

I really like the first one. Basic, could be hand-drawn easily, could be customized to taste(i.e. for those preferring color), and scales to smaller items quite well. It's got the 'G' in geocaching. They always say 'the simpler the better' and you can't get much simpler.

Here's my customization of it in fact. You'd think I was a proud Texan or something. icon_smile.gif

geoflag.gif

[This message was edited by Team Bohica on October 08, 2002 at 02:18 PM.]

"Could you repost it here for us, and maybe submit a few ideas and examples??"

I can't post it from work as I don't have access to NG's here. I will when I get home though.

I've got a couple things rolling around in my head, but Leatherman's example is really fine. I like the solid circle one. It makes a G for geocaching, has an X to mark the spot and is easily rendered by anyone. This is exactly what I was talking about--simple and strong.

CR

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Lemmings:

I suppose having two 'approved' ones is out of the question?

Nobody has to 'approve' any of them. If you like a design and the person who designed it says it's a public domain drawing, use it. Of course one that is recognizable, is free of copyright issues, and is representable of the sport would be nice. You'll never get everyone to agree on one single design though.

Welcome to nowhere.nu. Now go home!

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

The old expression "I'm a lover not a fighter" applies here.

I'm not an artist either.

I tried to come up with something last February and drew a golf flag sticking out of a stump.

I like the idea of a free-for-use logo.

I would just like to say that no matter what Eric O proposes... I'm against it! icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

--majicman

BigSig rules to live by:

1.) Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive!

2.) There is NO... Rule #2.

3.) NEVER get "off-topic." These threads are ALL far too serious for that!

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Lemmings:

I suppose having two 'approved' ones is out of the question? I understand the need for a simple logo - it's just that the ones that Gustav has produced have so much versatility, and are so visually appealing - I know I'd really like Gustav's on a coin, or a hat - but I agree, I'd rather not have to draw it myself.

Beta

I think a "basic" and "complex" logo is a great idea. In fact, I think we sould keep a clip-art repository of all the suggestions.

While I REALLY like gustaf's # 5. However you could replace the globe and star with one of Leatherman's logos. (I think I like Leatherman # 2, but you could keep both as variations of the standard, since they are so close.)

was probably the wrong word to use...

quote:
Nobody has to 'approve' any of them.

Agreed - I meant it in the sense of approval by the masses (kinda like that radio channel that was so unanimously icon_wink.gif approved recently for geocaching communication) for common usage and recognition. (recognition in the sense of 'hey! I recognize that!')

glad long dogs thinks the idea is not totally devoid of merit.

Still holding out hope for Gustav (but apprciative of all the offerings)

Beta

These are pretty close to perfect IMHO icon_smile.gif They are a simple symbol and can easily be recognized. Good for printing and inclusion in variations and no text so it'd be easy for international adoption. I like it.

Edit: I like the non-dashed one best.

[uh... this is in reference to the Leatherman submissions]

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=2040964535&r=2920986535#2920986535

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

A user logo doesn't need to be approved as much as adpoted, and at that no one says there has to be a single logo there could be two or three. I thinks a few of the most popular logos could be used. This allowing a preference as long as there aren't a dozen "official unofficial logos" for geocachers. The best example of multiple representations of the same thing that I can think of off th etop of my head is the silent or distant symbols for recognition by using your hands. an OK, or thumbs up, peace sign or that silly thumb pinkie thing you see. all are known to mean the same or similar things. to communicate an idea. IMHO icon_razz.gif

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

After a 2nd look, I like the solid one better than the dotted lines too. (Especially if thinking of having to draw it myself.) icon_smile.gif

I expect we will eventually want to do a poll and pick a winner, even though I'd hope everyone would "accept" or "recognize" the top few.

You can't force anybody to choose a certain one, and I'd never expect a total concensus. icon_eek.gif There are just too many uses that could be made of the all the good ones. icon_wink.gif

If you take away the colored squares, the Groundspeak logo isn't terribly different from this one. (Did I say that out loud?) Still, I would hope it is unique enough. They both have circular tracks and an X to mark the spot, and are bold lines. That is really where the similarity ends. What does everyone else think?

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

Here are 2 that Leatherman emailed me. They may be very basic, but I like the concept a lot. team icons or logos could be added to them several ways.

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/images/geol1.jpg

I must say I do like that logo!

With (very) quick alteration, it looks a little like...

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/49285_500.jpg

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

quote:
glad long dogs thinks the idea is not totally devoid of merit.

I never meant to imply that. My earlier comment (the one I think you're referring to) was over the argument regarding the trademark of the word geocaching and just to say that I think there is room in the geocaching world for both the Groundspeak logo, and the geocaching community logo. And as many personalized custom variations as people can come up with of that logo (although I'd hope to at least keep it recognizable.)

Okay, I'm here at the house.

Referring to things to consider and the mention of my post in the geocaching NG, I'm cut-and-pasting it here. Just something to fill out what we should be considering, but by no means exhaustive.

The important part reads:

I tend to agree. The stuff that is coming from Gustaf shows talent.However, it also shows single focus.While I'm coming very late into the process and think I understand thewhole thing is about what would look good on a coin, I think a logoshould look good in many applications.  I run into this all the time.People design logos that might look good on screen so it looks goodfor a web site, but try to make it one color for a sign or windowdecal, reduce it for business cards, render it for embroidery orscreen printing, then it looks very ugly.The problem I have Gustaf's work is it's too detailed.  If you try toreduce it too fit on a business card or decal to go on your GPS, youwouldn't be able to read it.Here's a little advise,  keep it bold and simple, keep any tag linesoff of it or make them removable,  don't use gradients,  maybe evendon't use ANY words.   The strongest logos are the simplest.   Think like the big boys likeCola-Cola, Pepsi, Nike.  Coke has a very recognizable swoosh as doesNike, Pepsi has the globe;  These symbols stand on their own in thatif you see the Nike swoosh you know what it is.So, what I'd like to see is people concentrating on simple stronggraphics that you can pull apart.  You can remove the tag line, youcan have a simple, recognizable part of it that stands on it's ownthat you can put on items that identify you as a geocacher but doesn'tspell it out.  (A thought on the simple graphic:  if there was a very simple graphic,you could use it very discreetly to help finders find your cache.  Saythe logo had a very prominant "X" in it.  You could mark a tree withan X to help people find it.  Most wouldn't know what it means, thoughthey might be curious, but wouldn't know to look for a box of goodiesnear there.  The X could be put on the rear of your vehicle toidentify yourself as a cacher without spelling it out to people not inthe know.  What ever the graphic is it must be simple so anyone caneasily render it with anything from pencil to spraycan. ) 

CR

No problem. I'd love to have a "basic" and "complex" design (for lack of better terms) so that each could be used as best fits the situation and medium.

Not uncommon. If you think about it, Groundspeak has four variations. Just the little guy, the guy and the circle, the 4-square guy on colored background, and the full t-shirt version.

But even that doesn't imply that they all have to be variations on the same basic design.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

It's not a final as I knocked this out in only 20 minutes. I borrowed from mudbug's and made room for personalization. If there's interest I can do a high-res version. I like this because it's simple and would print easily on a coin. The lines aren't too fine. Also, color doesn't work on coins but could be filled in for t-shirts and the like if people wanted.

http://www.nowhere.nu/images/geoglobe.jpg

This has potential. If I had a graphics program, I could add in the cache name for a collection of signature items to start a cache with or I could add in my name. I could also use a sharpie pen to do this on the fly. Gustaf's is more elaborate. I think either logo would work, though this would offer a new advantage. It would look better when shrunk onto a label.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

It's not a final as I knocked this out in only 20 minutes. I borrowed from mudbug's and made room for personalization. If there's interest I can do a high-res version. I like this because it's simple and would print easily on a coin. The lines aren't too fine. Also, color doesn't work on coins but could be filled in for t-shirts and the like if people wanted.

geoglobe.jpg

Good job. I like it.

Heres my attempt

geocachelogo

That was the best image of a sattelite (maybe someone could do better, feel free to adapt this one) I could find & was thinking along the lines of simple enough for a coin or patch, universal to all cachers, large simple writing which gets the message across & maybe could act as a standard (wishful thinking), writing of course would have to be cleaned up, mentions geocaching w/using geocaching.com but it could be used, top & bottom quadrant could be colored or divided into quarters if people like that 4 color look,etc

Also, now that I look at it enlarged, the area surrounding the words could be made into a very subtle "G" (maybe a frosted section on a coin)very easily:

geologo3

[This message was edited by Crusso on October 08, 2002 at 08:18 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

ok this is the last, http://www.geocities.com/graphixoutpost/logospage.html

-----------------------------------------------------------

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

I love the first bronze logo. The second is my second favorite followed by the third logo.

Absolutly amazing! Imcreadable cool. I might just borrow one!

Amazing

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

I like Leatherman's best, then Gustafs, then mine as a distant third. Don't toss mine in the vote when you decide to post it -- I throw my support to Leatherman icon_smile.gif

My support goes with Leatherman too.

Seems to be the most customisable, and looks pretty good when scaled down too.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

The logo that works best for coinage, in my opinion, is MountainMudbug's. The only problem I can foresee would be for those who wish to have numbered coins such as theCanadian Geocoins or, my own personal favorite, the TX Geocoin As you can see on the web pages, the numbering is on the logo side. Though MountainMudbug's design has space at the bottom, the numbering is stamped in after the coins are minted and must be in a straight line.

BTW - I am still working with the Groundspeak guys regarding the continued use of the modified logo on the TX Geocoin. I just wanted to offer my $.02 for anyone else who was thinking about numbering their coins.

Neuman

#1: Jeremy: can you create a spot on the website where all these cool logos can be reposited for us to use? I can't keep track of all the various versions & mods, most of which are pretty dadgum neat IMHO

#2: To the forum: do we need an official "public use" logo? This thread is so long, (and at some point I think I skipped a few posts) but why can't they all be made available for anyone to use at any time? I do realize that some people may want to chip in to get "logo #110 but with different color variation" but I think they all should just be left out there for posible use. See comment #1

William

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

If you had read through your second question would have been answered. All of the logos will be made available for all to look through, through my site and a few more hopefully. Because they are not in a scalable format, they will most likely be used for ideas than anything. The logos we decide on we will have made into hopefully several formats.

I can't imaging Jeremy providing space for the logos, and am not certian he should want to anyway. This is supposed to be a generic logo for the sport, not the geocaching.com site. It might be nice of him to provide a link on his logo guidelines page stating if the user wanted to use a logo he could freely modify, they go here... But I still see no responsibility on his part to do so.

And Kouros & Team Bohica, I think your avatar might be considered padding the votes... Good example of how well it scales down though in an actual use situation.

Last night as I lay in bed looking at the stars I thought 'Where the hell is the ceiling'?

Leatherman's logo cleaned up and then with some lettering.

72057_1000.gif

I think the basic shape of Leatherman's logo works what most of us want. Anyone can embellish on it, make it clean, modern, or rugged, whatever color, put pictures inside like some have done already, and more. It's round and lends itself to a coin. It's easy to render. It's strong and fairly unique. It's really similar to one the ideas I had, but better because the G shape. I think we have a hit!

For those who want an intricate design, it's certainly possible with Leatherman's design. You could put a globe grid inside, or superimpose the XG (I'm coining this make it easier to refer to the logo) over a globe grid. You could put the points of a compass around it. The possiblities are practically endless.

This is not to say someone else might have something better, but I think we have a really good entry fairly earlier in the process. I'd like to see more ideas before we settle on this one. I say, keep the ideas coming!

CR

"The logos we decide on we will have made into hopefully several formats."

I'm sure whoever the "winner" is will be able to provide a highres version. Then most of us can scale to our hearts content. For those who can't, I doubt there will be a shortage of people who will make it available on thier own site.

While we are on the subject of the design, I'd like to see the person who designed the "winner" to provide a vector format file of their original art. Doing this will put the most clean version out there. It'd be easier for people to change colors and modify for their own use. If they designed it in a paint program and at a highenough resolution, I'd be able to convert it to vector and put out the vector version if needed.

CR

quote:
I think the basic shape of Leatherman's logo works what most of us want.

I like this design as well. I like that it's a symbol, looks good in black and white, is easily customizable (evidenced by Kouros' avatar). I like the fancier one by Gustaf as well, but think for scaling, customization, and merchandise it's a bit limiting because it's 'fancy' icon_smile.gif

Michigan Geocaching Organization would be happy to set up an area to host these graphics for consideration on our site.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/gallery/

We use Gallery (a PHP photo Gallery) so we could set up the area and let someone have admin priviledges to add graphics. Just let me know if it's of interest.

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

I like the 'rustic' look better.

That's cool. I was trying to make a point. The general shape is the key. Use it rustic or clean, I don't think it really matters. Some have mentioned they like a more detailed logo, a cleaner version would probably work better for that. Certainly, no one has to use my version of XG--I think that's the whole point of the logo, modify at will.

CR

Gustaf, if your out there, I'd love to see a version of your logo with the globe and star replaced by the XG logo, as well as one with the XG logo over the globe, instead of the star.

The XG is a simple design, that might turn out to be a unifying element across several more complex designs. I think Sissy-n-CR's "cleaned up" version would be the best choice for adding to the Gustaf logo.