Maps - Volunteers needed

servman

For a few months now I have been compiling import files for import to mapping software such as MS Streets and Trips and OziExplorer (see examples)

Streets and Trips Example Map

Oziexplorer Example Map

I have been maintaining maps for Canada and I think this could be useful to others as well, I am quite happy to host and maintain the data but it's just too much work to build all the imports, this is where you come in.

I'm looking for people to build the initial import files and manage updates to them. I've personally found these maps invaluable for finding and choosing caches to search since it gives me an instant overview.

Right now I'd like to see the US broken up by regions (by state will create way too many imports I think) and the rest of the world by country. Does anyone want to help?

Ian

Mobile Cache Command

26076_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by servman:

I'm looking for people to build the initial import files and manage updates to them.

Right now I'd like to see the US broken up by regions (by state will create way too many imports I think) and the rest of the world by country. Does anyone want to help?

I do this right now for the state of Virginia (for S&T) and I love it.

I would like to help, but the problem is that since we can only download 25 caches at a time and there are new caches being added consistently, updating and keeping the data fresh would be a nightmare. Especially if you are talking regions.

However, if Jeremy gets around to allowing downloading caches by state all in one shot, then I will volunteer to do the Mid-Atlantic Region. It wouldn't be that big of a deal to download 6-8 states on a daily basis (or every other day), merge them into one, and then pass you the file...

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?