View Source

This may sound dumb, but I will ask anyhow... I used to use the View/Source to read how some of the html was used on certain pages. For some dumb reason, it won't work anymore. I hit View and then source and nothing.....nada. Anybody know why????

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

If you are attempting it on these Groundspeak forum pages, you probably won't get anything.

I'm not sure, but I believe it is because a server-side scripting language is being used.

I'd love to be corrected, though, if I am wrong.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

"Did you try scrolling down the view source window?"

icon_confused.gif Can you explain?? (as you can plainly see, I am novice)

Redwoodred, I think it is my computer and nothing else because I emailed a geocaching buddy and they are having no problems with this function. I am not using this in Groundspeak, but on geocache pages that have html codes that I am learning.

"Did you try scrolling down the view source window?"

icon_confused.gif Can you explain?? (as you can plainly see, I am novice)

Redwoodred, I think it is my computer and nothing else because I emailed a geocaching buddy and they are having no problems with this function. I am not using this in Groundspeak, but on geocache pages that have html codes that I am learning.

When the source code pops up in the notepad window ... use the scroll bar to go down the page ... there is a blank area at the top of the page before you get to the code.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

That's funny!

I didn't look either!

I've taken classes in ASP programming and other server-side scripting languages, and I am supposed to look for that blank spot...

I must be tired.

Where the source page is blank is where the server-side code resides on the web host's server. I like how it works and can't be ripped off... don't get me wrong. I love looking at the source code to see how others put their pages together, and I don't mind when people look at mine. For this reason I am pretty anal about the appearance of my code and will spend hours cleaning up slop left by another programmer to a site I'm working on.

It's just me.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

When the source code pops up in the notepad window ... use the scroll bar to go down the page ... there is a blank area at the top of the page before you get to the code.

Co-founder of the _"NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"_

That is the problem that I am having Hawkeye....no notepad window or blank space or anything for that matter. It used to just pop right up and your right, I could scroll through it. Now nothing pops up...it just acts like I never hit the view/source button. I can scroll through the entire page, but there is no notepad with the codes on it anymore. sigh..... icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Co-founder of the _"NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"_

That is the problem that I am having Hawkeye....no notepad window or blank space or anything for that matter. It used to just pop right up and your right, I could scroll through it. Now nothing pops up...it just acts like I never hit the view/source button. I can scroll through the entire page, but there is no notepad with the codes on it anymore. sigh..... icon_frown.gif

Administrative Links:

close_topic.gif

Close

admin_icon.gif

Manage

delete_topic.gif

Delete

Admin Options

Previousprev_topic.gif next_topic.gifNext

Rate Topic:

Rate It!

5 Best

1 Worst

Hop To: Groundspeak Notices--Geocaching AnnouncementsGeneral Geocaching Discussions--Getting Started--General--The Travel Bug--Geocaching.com Discussion--Survey Says?Geocaching Related Topics--GPS Units and Software--GPS In Education--GPS Garage Sale--GPS and Ham RadioGeocaching Adventures--The Hunt--The Unusual--Organized GeocachingGeocaching Groups By Region/State --Great Plains--Midwest--New England--Northeast--Northwest--South and Southeast--West and SouthwestGeocaching Groups by Country --All Nations--Australia--Canada--German Speaking--Mexico--New Zealand--South Africa--South America--United Kingdom

© Grounded, Inc. 2000-2002

powered_by2.gif

OpenTopic 2.2.2< !--MontgomeryEgypt

Running Standard XSL

-->

blank.gif

<script>

window.onLoad = hideEditLinks();

James, I was looking for computer help, not a smart remark. I am trying to learn and this was an option that was given to me by a local geocacher. My intention is to learn, not steal anyones ideas! icon_rolleyes.gif

James, I was looking for computer help, not a smart remark. I am trying to learn and this was an option that was given to me by a local geocacher. My intention is to learn, not steal anyones ideas! icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:....That is the problem that I am having Hawkeye....no notepad window or blank space or anything for that matter. It used to just pop right up and your right,....

That is strange ... are you using MSIE or another browser?

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"