You want me to WHAT?? (not an approval-related topic!) :-)

Sparrowhawk

Ok, check this out... I just got the WIERDEST email from some academic-type... they had noticed my comments somewhere about my flying to LA from Oregon roundtrip, and they had a request for me.

Basically it's some sort of "art project" where you have to go to some coord that he gives you, and you have to build a "marker" at said coords and give him your picture of the marker. The coords correspond to certain lat and long lines he has chosen, and wants these "markers" circling the earth on both coord lines.

Then he said: "You will cross my line on your way to LA. Stop for a moment and help me out."

The point he is talking about is somewhere in the middle of California.

I looked at the email, looked at it again, proceeded to go cross-eyed, and finally answered somewhat thusly:

"Sure, no problem... you'll just have to help me arrange some minor things first: a parachute, some skydiving training before my flight, special permission from Alaska Airlines to drop me out of the jet at that point (while making sure they won't mistake me for a skyjacker), a Suburban Assault Vehicle (SUV) at the drop point to get me to the marker location, as well as for transportation to the nearest local airport, a charter jet to get me from that point on to Los Angeles, then sure, I'd happily go for it for ya, dude! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif"

Yeez... What do others think of this errr.. 'interesting' request?

PS

(Apologies to said academic if I was just a bit on the sarcastic side... it has been one of those days...)

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

Here's the satellite image.

I do see a flaw in his plan.

quote:
From the other thread:

I am marking two intersecting lines around the world.

Ooops. The lines around a sphere would normally instersect twice, but his coordinates only reflect one complete circle at the latitude, and an arc from the north to south pole on the W 106° 37.544 longitude. If this were going to be a complete global, he would have also wanted E 73° 22.456. Right?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

i would like to know how the guy emailed everyone? surely not 1 at a time, i didnt think this was related to geocaching and considered it and still do as junk mail, i reported and forwarded it to the admin. This doesnt seem like art to me, but very strange and pointless. If someone is going to do this why not just post in the forums instead of sending many people emails?

You all have very interesting takes on my project. Yes, it may seem wierd to you. I can live with that.

I did not spam anyone. I simply looked up your coordinates on my mapping program and replied to those who are close to the line. That took a lot of time and I did rile some of you. I sincerely appologize for that. I am very new to this list and seem to have posted in the wrong camp. I am working to fix that. By the way there are no less than five USFS benchmarks within five-hundred yards of that coordinate.

Is this art? I can argue that it certainly is. I can also argue that it certainly isn't. Isn't that one of the beauties of art, and, as well, being an art academic?

I picked the coordinated based on the location of a cairn that holds my father's ashes. Among other things my father taught surveying. I pulled a chain through the woods and ran a transit before GPS was even a gleam in the eye of a rocket scientist. I have a passion for maps and locations, as I assume most of you do. I just look at it a little differently, maybe because I was trained as an artist. Maybe because I think non-linear thinking is a good thing.

Matisse said, "A line is a point out for a walk." My goal is to take that idea to a very real extreme.

I will try not to bother those of you who are not interested. I will try to engage those of you who are with an interesting project.

If you want to work with me on this one, send me a return address with your documentation and I will make you a mug. Are bribes acceptable on this list?

W. Lowell Baker, Professor of Art, Ceramics

I really don't wish to comment one way or the other on the project, however...

quote:
Originally posted by ln:

I did not spam anyone.

I would suggest, especially since you are an academic, that you enter ' define:spam ' into Google. Several of the definitions match what you did, though many, of course, define the concept more narrowly. Still, you should be aware of potential reactions to mass mailings.

MT Fellwalker

---

Frog? What frog?

I think it sounds neat, beats draping a coral atoll with pink plastic. It is too bad I am so far away, not getting close anytime soon, I would like to have participated. And it does seem a good fit for geocachers.

cachewidow

"Thank you for calling Mom's Travel Service. Guilt Trips our specialty. Where would you like to go today?"

After reading all this gibberish in all the forums this topic is posted in, I can only come to one gigantic conclusion:

Prof, you're wacked.

Instead of calling it a "sculpture", why not call it a "collection of about a bazillion things from other people all lined up in a couple of rows around the world that I won't live nearly long enough to see accomplished but that I want to take credit for anyway".

Let's leave the "largest sculpture in the world" title for the Crazy Horse sculpture currently underway in South Dakota, ok?

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

My art project is to make a huge stack of twenties on the beach. I'll give my paypal account to anyone wanting to contribute to my sculpture

Sure... no problem. Email me your PayPal ID name and your password so I can deposit my donation directly.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

quote:
Originally posted by ln:

I pulled a chain through the woods and ran a transit before GPS was even a gleam in the eye of a rocket scientist.

So, are you just yanking our chain then?

I once pulled my chain in the woods... oh, nevermind.

quote:
Maybe because I think non-linear thinking is a good thing.
Your project sounds sorta linear based... maybe you are more linear thinking than you think you are?

quote:
I will try not to bother those of you who are not interested...
As you can see, I'm already a bit disturbed.

quote:
If you want to work with me on this one, send me a return address with your documentation and I will make you a mug. Are bribes acceptable on this list?
Are you famous... would your work be valuable on eBay? Maybe a bribe wouldn't be such a bad idea...

I sure hope you have a sense of humor... I like your project's concept, though I don't know if I would classify it as an artform.

I seriously wish you well on this.

Maybe a few people will feel like placing some caches along the Lat & Lon you are seeing to populate with your art. I've seen sillier "concept" geocaches and multicaches.

Yes, I am an engineer/scientist... but I still have some imagination that the corporation hasn't been able to beat out of me yet.

If I find myself on your artwork's route, I'll try to participate.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"