Do you place caches?

MartyFouts

Well, I've been reading the posts in the forums since I started in this sport a year ago now and when I started I read one from a cacher that I have come to respect a great deal. He said that he loved to hunt caches and it had become one of his favorite things to do. He found that he really didn't have a great deal of interest in placing caches but felt that to be a contributing member of the sport that he was obligated to at least contribute by putting out a couple of good caches.

I feel very much the same way. I have put out 12 caches now, about half and half traditional and virtual. I think on the one hand that there is a kind of an unspoken obligation to contribute to the sport somehow, although placing caches is not the only way to contribute. I tried to wait for a while till I knew what was going on, what was acceptable, and especially what was NOT acceptable before I placed any traditional caches. I started on those in May of 2002, or 10 months after I hunted my first cache.

I've now placed several caches that combine my love of four wheeling and Geocaching. The seem to be popular with those that share my interests and that is what I was after. Waiting till I had a little experience gave me the time to learn what made a good cache, what the contents should be, and what I definitely wanted to AVOID! You won't find Happy Meal toys in my caches when they are placed.... now, after they've been there a while, that's another story...lol. I love hunting caches, and I've come to love hunting for a really neat place to put a cache, and hunting for just the right items to make up a kind of theme for a cache. I involve the kids and get their input and even let them help pick out potential contents.

Just can't get enough of this stuff.... icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Well, I've been reading the posts in the forums since I started in this sport a year ago now and when I started I read one from a cacher that I have come to respect a great deal. He said that he loved to hunt caches and it had become one of his favorite things to do. He found that he really didn't have a great deal of interest in placing caches but felt that to be a contributing member of the sport that he was obligated to at least contribute by putting out a couple of good caches.

I feel very much the same way. I have put out 12 caches now, about half and half traditional and virtual. I think on the one hand that there is a kind of an unspoken obligation to contribute to the sport somehow, although placing caches is not the only way to contribute. I tried to wait for a while till I knew what was going on, what was acceptable, and especially what was NOT acceptable before I placed any traditional caches. I started on those in May of 2002, or 10 months after I hunted my first cache.

I've now placed several caches that combine my love of four wheeling and Geocaching. The seem to be popular with those that share my interests and that is what I was after. Waiting till I had a little experience gave me the time to learn what made a good cache, what the contents should be, and what I definitely wanted to AVOID! You won't find Happy Meal toys in my caches when they are placed.... now, after they've been there a while, that's another story...lol. I love hunting caches, and I've come to love hunting for a really neat place to put a cache, and hunting for just the right items to make up a kind of theme for a cache. I involve the kids and get their input and even let them help pick out potential contents.

Just can't get enough of this stuff.... icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I enjoy placing caches as much as I do finding them. Until recently I usually had more caches placed than found. I've since slowed down with my placements (now 27) because I want to be able to properly maintain what I do have out there.

But I enjoy everything about placing them. Finding decent cache goodies, preparing the cache, finding an interesting place to hide it and the actual hiding of it.

I also eagerly await notification of finds and enjoy reading about the finders experiences in search of my caches

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller