Wreckchasing

I was wondering if there are any Geocachers who are also into looking for old aircraft wreckage. If so, here is my request. If there is anyone out there in the Geo-world who has volume 1 of "wreckchasing", there are supposed to be coordinates of the crash site of a WWII corsair that crashed here in Eastern North Carolina. I have searched the web extensively, talked to USFS and NCFS personnel, and the base that I work on and no one is sure of the location. A memorial was placed at this site for the pilot about 5 years ago but that is all I know. If the info is in this book and you have it, would you like to share it with me? icon_smile.gif PLEASE... icon_biggrin.gif Thanks.Dave

Clipped this:

"Probably the best-known plane wreck in the Smokies is no longer there. A U.S. Navy Corsair fighter crashed in the well-traveled Abrams Creek area in 1948, and, for the next 44 years, became a popular hiking destination. Perhaps concerned that some of those day hikers could be spies, military personnel removed all traces of the plane's weaponry and, to remove the instruments, cut out the entire cockpit area. The rest of the plane, including part of the engine and the nose cone, remained until 1992, when a salvage crew in Connecticut recovered the apparently demolished plane, claiming they were going to make it fly again."

From here:

http://www.metropulse.com/dir_zine/dir_2002/1214/t_cover.html

-----------

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

quote:
Originally posted by Dreadnought:

I also heard of a bomber wreck in the Olympic pennisula near hurricane ridge. I will be in that area next month, if anyone knows about this or it's coords let me know.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4497_300.jpg

Several (no, make that many) years ago I stumbled upon that wreckage while backpacking in the Buckhorn Wilderness Area. The hike in is long, but not too difficult. Along the trail there is a side trail going up the hill if I remember correctly, which leads you directly to the crash site. It was kind of eerie wandering about the wreckage. Thanks EraSeek for the link, I can now find out the story behind the site. Unfortunately, when I was there, it was in the before time, when I had no cares about latitude and longitude, so I don't have coordinates. For us, it was a weekend trip with the Mountaineers who were TRYING to teach me how to backpack!

icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3986

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4254

Funny... some folks (not necessarily those posting in this thread; I'm not keeping track) got upset with the suggestion of caches in Chandra Levy's Park. What's the difference between that one, these wreck sites ... and/or those for Ground Zero?

Are they or are they not morbid and morose? Interesting and informative? Spiritual and honorific?

CB

------------------------

icon_wink.gif

I found the SB-17 wreck in the olymipc mountains. It was only about 3.5 miles from the trailhead. The last half mile was pretty steep. Nice area be pretty tough stranded up there in the middle of January. Its a long way from nothing. I'm glad I made the trip and found the wreck. Anyone want the coords Email me.

There is a cache here in southern nevada placed by ic_nevadamike that is on top of Mt. Charleston peak (a hell of a hike, BTW). Just off of the peak, right next to the trail, is the wreckage of a C-54 that was transporting the engineers working on the at the time top secret U-2 project from Palmdale to Area 51. Not a whole lot left, but pretty neat to see how much is still there after 50+ years.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

TWA Canyon Cache

Is a cache I put up a year or so ago. It has gotten all positive reviews by everyone who has found it. I think one reason it is popular is that the cache is actually located well beyond the actual crash site. Viewing the wreckage and finding the cache are two different adventures on the same hike. Also very nearby (visible) is the Sandia aerial tram. The cache has a magazine with the history of the crash and also the history of the tram, which I thought might bring more meaning to both.